Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WEBSITE NOT RESPONDING  (Read 17109 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:WEBSITE NOT RESPONDING
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2004, 09:24:20 AM »

America has spoken.  It said, "Duh..."

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2004, 09:25:50 AM »

Another 4 years... Sigh...

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2004, 09:27:55 AM »

One, two, three...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHEER TO DEAR READER EMILY!!!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2004, 09:28:49 AM »

Some levity  (for DR Jay)

In Jerusalem, an American female journalist heard about an Old rabbi who visited the Wailing Wall to pray, twice a day, everyday, for a long, long time.

In an effort to check out the story, she goes to the holy site and there he is!

She watches the bearded old man at prayer--and after about 45 minutes, when he turns to leave, she approaches him for an interview.

"I'm Rebecca Smith from CNN, sir, how long have you been coming to the Wailing Wall and praying?"

For about 50 years, he informs her.

50 years! That's amazing! What do you pray for?"

I pray for peace between the Jews and the Arabs. I pray for all the hatred to stop and I pray for all our children to grow up in safety and friendship."

And how do you feel, sir, after doing this for 50 years?"

"Like I'm talking to a f$#&ing wall."

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jay

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2004, 09:29:11 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=8]Clinton/Obama in 2008!!![/size][/move]

Jay

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2004, 09:30:53 AM »

Some levity  (for DR Jay)der Brucer

Thanks for the laugh.  I needed it this morning.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2004, 09:34:14 AM »

My question for ASK BK day this week (and other DR's of course):

When did you get your first VCR, and what was the first movie you bought on tape?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2004, 09:41:12 AM »

My question for ASK BK day this week (and other DR's of course):

When did you get your first VCR, and what was the first movie you bought on tape?

That is an interesting question for everyone.  My memory is I got one of those old top-loading clunkers in the late seventies.  Can't remember what the first movie I bought was, but it was probably the first video incarnation of Nudie Musical.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2004, 09:41:56 AM »

So, how close was the vote?

Jennifer

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2004, 09:59:27 AM »

Re: the election

As someone who does not live in the US, I cannot understand this all or nothing approach to determine the presidency.  Why do all electoral votes for the state have to go to one candidate?  This makes no sense to me.

Ben

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2004, 10:02:16 AM »

Join the club Jennifer!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2004, 10:06:11 AM »

Jay, I think if the Democrats want to lose again in 2008, then nominate Hillary.  As much as I like her, she is too polarizing a figure in this country.  Nor do I think this country is mature enough to elect a woman.  And they're certainly not mature enough to elect a woman prez with a black man as her running mate.  Maybe you didn't notice, but the South won the second Civil War last night with the help of Ohio.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 11:39:08 AM by Charles Pogue »

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2004, 10:21:55 AM »

Nobody knows why we have the electoral college.  I'll repeat that (I think it bears repeating): nobody knows why we have the electoral college.  There are many theories regarding its formation that historians love to debate, but we will never, ever know for sure.

That said, one of the theories that seems to make sense (which might in itself preclude its accuracy) is that the Founding Fathers never intended for the president to be voted into office.  Rather, the president would be appointed by other duly elected officials (which over the years became the electors in the electoral college).  

It's important to remember that the US was originally conceived as a republic in which each state would be sovereign unto itself.  Under those circumstances, the presidency would NOT have been the highest nor the most powerful office in the land.  Originally, the governors of each state had the most power.  Of course, we all know that the US government is very different from the way it was initially conceived.

Anyway, the electoral college has been a bone of contention for some time, and every election year there's a big brouhaha in which people become incensed, and every year it blows over with nothing whatsoever being done to overhaul this archaic and deeply flawed system.  

Why?

Well, the politicians don't do anything because it's an incredibly easy system to tamper with.  And the citizenry doesn't do anything because by and large, it doesn't want to get off its collective duff (and thus risk missing the latest episode of Fear Factor, et al) and force a change.  So confusion, chaos, and corruption reign.

(cue the last bar of "Battle Hymn of the Republic" being softly hummed by adorable 3rd graders, gradually swelling to a tearful crescendo)    And that, my fellow Americans - and otherwise -  is what the electoral college is all about.

(His - truth - is - mar- ching -ON!)
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2004, 10:26:59 AM »

DR Pogue is absolutely right about Hillary not having a chance at present, I'm afraid.

I don't know why she is so reviled, but men who don't like her apparently cannot stand her because she's strong and independent-minded, and women cannot stand her because she "stood by her man" without seeming to mind about the affairs he allegedly has had.

What bothers me enormously is that so much of that has nothing whatever to do with a person's ability to be a strong President.  

We have an overwhelming "middle America' that seems intent on being led by the nose back into the middle/dark ages.

We leaped out of the 20th century into the 14th century in some ways.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Lulu

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2004, 10:27:34 AM »

Sadly, Charles Pogue, I think you are right on the money.

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2004, 10:48:12 AM »

My first VCR was purchased from Montgomery Wards in, I think, around 1985 for $400.00! Whew! And the first video I remember buying was the Raymond Burr/Barbara Payton film BRIDE OF THE GORILLA which we sold at the Bi-Mart in which I worked.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2004, 10:55:36 AM »

Jay, I think if the Democrats want to lose again in 2008, then nominate Hillary.  As much as I like her, she is too polarizing a figure in this country.  

I can't help but agree with you DR Pogue....I love her, I think she is intelligent and wellspoken.  But let me tell you, if you thought she was reviled in some parts of NYC, just come upstate.  They don't seem to have one good word for her, forgetting how much as she has been trying to accomplish for us.

But, yes, she would get my vote for President.  But probably not many others.

However, I just adore the thought of Bill as "First Gentleman."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2004, 10:56:29 AM »

As someone who does not live in the US, I cannot understand this all or nothing approach to determine the presidency.  Why do all electoral votes for the state have to go to one candidate?  This makes no sense to me.

DRJennifer, in a simplified version:  it's an antiquated system that should have been revised in 2000 when Al Gore won the popular vote of the nation and a bumch of Bush supporters, including his brother, in Florida screwed the system and its voters and gave the electoral votes to Bush, which is how he won the election.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 10:56:48 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2004, 10:57:42 AM »

What bothers me enormously is that so much of that has nothing whatever to do with a person's ability to be a strong President.  

In fact, I think it informs a person's ability to be President.

Odd, DR RLP, that we should both use the word "reviled" in describing people's emotions about Mrs. Clinton.

Lulu

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2004, 10:59:41 AM »

My parents purchased our first VCR circa '84.  I can't remember what tapes they first purchased - officially released tapes were insanely expensive back then; $30 was about as cheap as most of them came, and $80 was not at all unheard of - but I do remember lots of ($6 a pop) blank tapes that my dad gleefully filled with channel 4's daily reruns of Perry Mason.

I well remember the first time I ever watched a movie on a VCR, though.  It was late '83 or early '84 and I was at a friend's house.  I was amazed to discover she had that machine "for rich people" (as my mother called it) that you could watch movies on!  And she had Raiders of the Lost Ark!  Gasp!  I mean, only 2 short years ago it had been playing in theaters, and here she could watch it ANYTIME SHE WANTED!  You'd better believe I wheedled her into firing that puppy up, and as I saw the now all too familiar FBI warning for the first time, a warm glow spread through me.  I was hooked.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2004, 11:12:23 AM »

HAPPY 21st BIRTHDAY, D.R. EMILY!!

Of course, since you live in Canada, it's not as significant a birthday as it is in the US.  You've been legal to drink for two years, now!  But still, have a great birthday!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2004, 11:13:49 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, the sun finally came out again here in Houston... That's saying something... or something... (ah, a Company reference, sort of)...

I slept till Noon. -Isn't that just too exciting?

-Watching the concession speech now...

Gonna hop in the shower and get ready to head over to the Galleria to meet some friends for a late lunch.  Hmm.. Maybe I'll go ice-skating this afternoon!  NOT!

As for VCRs: We had one of those JVC top-loading deals - the one with the over-sized colored buttons.  It actually lasted quite a long time.  -Now I'm just wondering what happened to that Beta machine that my cousin had - boy, could that thing rewind and fast-forward fast!  As for first VHS cassette... hmm... I really have no idea.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2004, 11:14:44 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR EMILY!
Make Your Own Luck.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2004, 11:17:30 AM »

Oh, yes, my frist VCR:

I got it in December 1986, as part of a legacy left to me by a friend who had just died.  It lasted a good ten years after that, too.

The first movie I owned?  That's a hard one....I was never one for buying movies, as I am not a "movie" person, per se.  It actually might have been VOTD, when it was released on VHS.

Now, the first movie I rented....well, that's not a story for this family-friendly board.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2004, 11:20:49 AM »

A direct quote from a good friend who just E-mailed me to commiserate on the election results:

"we survived the pharoah's in egypt, so hopefully we'll get thru this also..."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2004, 11:23:44 AM »

I bought my first VCR (to answer my own question) in July, 1985, with some of the money I got from the contract with the Phoenix Theatre to produce my play MY HAND IS NOT MY HEART.  It cost $239 + tax.  It was a Sylvania top loader with a remote with a long wire!

My first video (I rented a couple before I bought one) was ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT WOMAN which was on sale for $19.95!  I still have the tape and watch it first every time I buy a new television set or other piece of video hardware.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2004, 11:29:51 AM »

Nobody knows why we have the electoral college.  I'll repeat that (I think it bears repeating): nobody knows why we have the electoral college.  There are many theories regarding its formation that historians love to debate, but we will never, ever know for sure.

My Comment:
At the Constitutional convention, each state had one vote; the less populated states feared a Dictatorship of the Majority - the Electoral College ensured that does not happen

Anyway, the electoral college has been a bone of contention for some time, and every election year there's a big brouhaha in which people become incensed, and every year it blows over with nothing whatsoever being done to overhaul this archaic and deeply flawed system.  

Why?

Well, the politicians don't do anything because it's an incredibly easy system to tamper with.  And the citizenry doesn't do anything because by and large, it doesn't want to get off its collective duff (and thus risk missing the latest episode of Fear Factor, et al) and force a change.  So confusion, chaos, and corruption reign.

My Comment:

The politicians don't do anything about it because, realistically, the people who are required to change it are the people who most benefit from it - the Electoral College favors small, less populated states over the larger, more populated states; to change the Constitution requires an 3/4 vote of all the states - since more than 25% of the states benefit from the status quo, they are unlikely to change it.

der Brucer (observing that this Country has always been, and is likely to remain, a representative republic - not a pure Democracy)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2004, 11:36:52 AM »

You don't have to live outside of the US to be confused.   ???

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2004, 11:43:42 AM »

Heading to Rome in the morning. I think i already posted that -- but with the 9 hour difference, it's like i go through each day twice.
Anyway, i probably won't be posting until Sunday. See you all later!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2004, 11:44:54 AM »

A VERY BIG HAPPY 21ST BIRTHDAY TO EMILY!!

Panni have a good time in Rome.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up