Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: WEBSITE NOT RESPONDING  (Read 16513 times)

Ginny

Re:WEBSITE NOT RESPONDING
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2004, 05:34:44 PM »

Well, one thing, with the GOP owning the legislature, the judiciary, and the White House, they can't blame a damned thing on the Democrats.  Bush won't be able to deny his mistakes and weasel out of responsibility for what comes.

DRCharlesPogue - That's exactly what author Seymour Hersh said several weeks ago in a lecture at our local university campus.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2004, 05:51:13 PM »

Elmore - Please remember that 48% of us in Ohio did not vote for the current administration!  In fact, I think yesterday's victors should not celebrate a landslide, but pay attention to just how close the election really was.

DRGinny, yes, and I applaud that 48%, but I think very little of my state's 52%.  My sister-in-law Donna calls Middletown Middletucky for its heavy redneck population, and I can remember a lot of voter apathy in the 1970s.  Maybe if Kerry had promised each of them a new pickup truck . . .
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2004, 06:26:34 PM »

...I am far from a Republican (heck... I'm not even American) but insinuating that members of that party are "nazis" is wrong - especially because there are several Republican members at this here site who are anything BUT fascists.  It's paramount to Democrats having been called communists back in the Cold War.  

Anger is fine but labelling people based on their party affiliation (which oftener than not doesn't really have all that much to do with their ideological look on life) is not cool.
Emily, thank-you.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2004, 06:28:07 PM »

Well, I'm off to see a local production of The Mystery of Edwin Drood.  It should be pretty good (except the company has never really had a good sound person).  But before that, I must eat.  Just had to share. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #124 on: November 03, 2004, 06:58:20 PM »

...People were saying last night that the Democrats were starting to promote the "ABB" strategy..."Anybody But Bush."  A good notion, perhaps, but not enough to win them an election. ...  
There's a gay personals site I visit every once in a while, which I'm not going to identify because of the "dirty pictures" that can be found there.   ::)   They currently have close to 15,000 members  :o.  

They also have a search function.  Out of curiosity, I put the name "Bush" in the word search, and found 209 members using his name in their personal messages.  A quick survey revealed that, probably, nearly all were highly disparaging in their language, not to mention a high ratio of four-letter words being used.

A similar check revealed only 60 members mentioning Kerry in their messages.  

This reminds me of a conversation I was in at this board, some months ago, where I repeatedly asked the other person to give me a reason to vote for Kerry, other than "He's not Bush."  The other person could not do so.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #125 on: November 03, 2004, 07:24:07 PM »

There's a gay personals site I visit every once in a while. . .

Oooh!  I visited one tonight!  I didn't see tomovoz, but, there were at least TEN pages of Ockers seeking other male Ockers.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #126 on: November 03, 2004, 07:28:43 PM »

Oooh!  I visited one tonight!  I didn't see tomovoz, but, there were at least TEN pages of Ockers seeking other male Ockers.
Why would I be there td?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #127 on: November 03, 2004, 07:32:05 PM »

You don't have to BE looking to be looking at the website, dear tomovoz . . .after all, DR S. Woody and I have both visited such services recently.
So many men looking for men in Queensland, of all places ! ! !  ;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #128 on: November 03, 2004, 07:35:52 PM »

Jose: The Good Eats episode on grits was pretty good...except for one particular bit of schitck.  He started with side-by-side cooking demonstrations of grits and polenta, showing the similarities of the dishes and the roots of each in cornmeal.

There was a running gag about how Alton doesn't sound Southern.  This led to his taking on a character, Colonel Bob, as he demonstrated a Pineapple Upside-Down Cornmeal Cake.  Which looked pretty good.  His wig didn't.

You'll be sure to catch it plenty of times in re-runs, I'm sure.  In the meantime, get that new book!

Sigerson Holmes

« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2004, 07:52:56 PM »

Finally!  Election Day is over, and it is once again Ask BK Day.

Tell me if I've asked this one already . . .

On the "Lerner, Loewe, Lane & Friends" concert CD, Brock Peters does a touching rendition of "When You Grow Up You'll Know," from Alan Jay Lerner and Burton Lane's score for the abandoned MGM musical "Huckleberry Finn."

Was Peters chosen to do this song because it was assumed to have been written for the character of "Jim" (which would have been played by William Warfield)?  Would a different singer, or a different song from the unused score have been chosen if it were more commonly known that "When You Grow Up You'll Know" was actually written for the "Duke" character (slated to have been played by Gene Kelly)?

I know it has nothing to do with anything -- just thought I'd ask now, while I'm thinking of it.
It's not who you know.  It's whom you know.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #130 on: November 03, 2004, 08:21:08 PM »

DR Jane, I'm just curious if there was a Democrat that you did feel passionate about before Kerry got the nod?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #131 on: November 03, 2004, 08:23:37 PM »

Feeling so disconsolate for most of the day, I couldn't concentrate on any film, so I just watched TV episodes on DVD all day (and also last night's QUEER EYE).

Matt H.

« Reply #132 on: November 03, 2004, 08:24:19 PM »

I'm thinking over the next few days to watch either THE NAME OF THE ROSE or STAR WARS.

td

• td
« Reply #133 on: November 03, 2004, 08:30:23 PM »

I've just watched (most of) the director's cut of one of my favorite French films, since I, too was feeling low:  BETTY BLUE, thanks to Netflix.
Amazing how an added hour, maybe more, of material can really flesh out characters and situations.  There seems to have been an entire subplot (as well as its characters) that didn't make the first cut as seen in theaters across America.
Very fine film.
Also very depressing film.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: November 03, 2004, 08:33:36 PM »

In that case I agree with Ann.  And you.  And everyone else.

Brigadoon:  Never seen it (never been able to get through more than ten minutes of the movie).  Not something that would interest me much to record.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2004, 08:36:45 PM »

Finally!  Election Day is over, and it is once again Ask BK Day.

Tell me if I've asked this one already . . .

On the "Lerner, Loewe, Lane & Friends" concert CD, Brock Peters does a touching rendition of "When You Grow Up You'll Know," from Alan Jay Lerner and Burton Lane's score for the abandoned MGM musical "Huckleberry Finn."

Was Peters chosen to do this song because it was assumed to have been written for the character of "Jim" (which would have been played by William Warfield)?  Would a different singer, or a different song from the unused score have been chosen if it were more commonly known that "When You Grow Up You'll Know" was actually written for the "Duke" character (slated to have been played by Gene Kelly)?

I know it has nothing to do with anything -- just thought I'd ask now, while I'm thinking of it.

I only produced the album - I had nothing to do with the show itself other than suggesting Guy Haines be added to the program (he's never forgiven me).  I will tell you (on the QT) that Brock had to come into the studio and fix his vocal, as he'd messed up the lyrics on both shows we recorded.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #136 on: November 03, 2004, 09:19:59 PM »

Those fries sound good but no homemade veggie burger?

Becks Prime actually does/did have a Veggie Burger listed on their menu.  And, like a lot of burger places, it's actually one of the more expensive burgers on their menu.  The standard 1/2 pound beef burger runs $4.95, while the Veggie Burger runs $5.95.  I guess since they have to be cooked on a seperate grill, and/or maybe they just know that they can make a nicer profit on them...

-I used to get the Veggie Burger at Ruby Tuesday's, which is just the food service version of the Gardenburger - it's a few ounces bigger than the store bought ones.  But one day I found the food service pack for sale at Costco - 10 Gardenburgers for $7.50.  So, at Ruby Tuesday's, a single one costs $8.95 - yes, it comes with fries, or some other side dish - but still... You do the math.  *I would also get a laugh from the fact that the "healthy" veggie burger was topped with cheese and guacamole, and then served with french fries... Might as well just order the regular burger for a $1.00 less! ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: November 03, 2004, 09:23:18 PM »

Brigadoon:  Never seen it (never been able to get through more than ten minutes of the movie).  Not something that would interest me much to record.

Brigadoon?  Who said anything about Brigadoon?

Have you been talking to the trees again? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2004, 09:24:51 PM »

BK, first I've heard of this Lerner/Loewe,Lane, and Friends.  what did the golden-throated Guy sing?  Wasn't he going to do a show at the Roosevelt or someplace local?

I can't believe you've never seen the Kelly movie.  I'm quite fond of it.  I know Kelly wanted to film it on location, but I like the stagebound sets because they can evoke the fantasy unreality of the place better.  But then I've always been a big one for the controlled environment of the sound-stage.  The CHASE of hunting down Harry Beaton is quite thrilling.  

I actually like both score and show a lot.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2004, 09:35:46 PM »

Good Evening!

Pretty good show tonight despite most of the cast coming in a little weary and down from the political events of the past 24 hours.  However, it was a little weird having the Mayor of Houston as well as some other publicly elected officials being recognized before the show.  The timing just seemed a little strange to me.  I'm assuming they were all re-elected in last night's election... ???  -Or maybe it was an off-year for them.  In any case, it did seem a little strange to me, and each I heard the phrase, "our current administration" spoken...

But on the brighter side, they were being recognized for their support of the Arts in Houston.  Their very active support.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #140 on: November 03, 2004, 10:11:13 PM »

I'm waiting to head out to the airport later. Have been up for hours because DD's boyfriend is quite sick. (Stomach flu?) It's hard not to suddenly become Supermom and say, "I'll stay and take care of you both." But they'll be fine without me.
The election has left me feeling totally numb. We stayed up most of election night watching CNN - and I still find it hard to believe. Here in Budapest life goes on and the whole thing is just a sidebar, which makes it seem even more surreal.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2004, 10:12:51 PM »

I read a statistic somewhere that more Americans voted against Bush than any other sitting president in US history.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2004, 10:25:58 PM »

I read a statistic somewhere that more Americans voted against Bush than any other sitting president in US history.
Yes.  But there was also a greater number voting for him.  He received a majority of the votes, something that hasn't happened in quite some time.  Even Clinton only received pluralities, and never got the majority vote.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2004, 10:39:50 PM »

I need to wussburger out of here, just to catch up on my sleep.   :-\

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2004, 10:47:38 PM »

Yes, Guy Haines performed Dance a Little Closer - his first appearance on stage in front of an audience.  The ridiculous choreography had lots of feathers and fans and balloons and girls and for some reason they always blocked his face.  The night of the show he got annoyed and he began popping the balloons one by one until there was but a single balloon in front of his face.  He popped that one, but wouldn't you know, the lights blacked out just as the balloon popped.  It's all preserved on the recording I made.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up