Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: RETURN OF THE DAY RUNNER  (Read 5045 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: RETURN OF THE DAY RUNNER
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2016, 02:50:32 PM »

PAGE FOUR DANCE!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2016, 02:56:26 PM »

All the bank stuff is better - money is back in my account, and new debit card has arrived, and it's my plan not to use it at all, unless absolutely necessary - but my plan is also, for once, to check the account online at least twice a week. 

I check mine every day.  If something looks odd, I call the bank at once.  Usually, I'm the odd one since it's mostly something I forgot about.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2016, 03:27:55 PM »

DR RLP - I couldn't believe how AWFUL that CD is.  There has to be a new classification of terrible.  Groban sounds like Mandy Patinkin at his worst and most self indulgent.  The track from PHANTOM features a girl who is SCREAMING her part of the song.....

The whole thing is a disgrace.  I think he had a PBS special doing songs from the CD, but I never watched it, and I hope it never comes on when I'm trying to watch something else.

Oh...it's Kelly Clarkson....an American Idol winner.....

Listen at your peril.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpA511j_-5I

Yes, yes, absolutely YES!  Clarkson does not acquit herself well on this song at all.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2016, 03:28:09 PM »

All the bank stuff is better - money is back in my account, and new debit card has arrived, and it's my plan not to use it at all, unless absolutely necessary - but my plan is also, for once, to check the account online at least twice a week. 

At least, and your credit card accounts too.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2016, 04:01:44 PM »

M-o-o-n...that spells quittin' time.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

ChasSmith

« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2016, 04:06:12 PM »

I see a plate of potato pancakes in DR Elmore's near future...

Yes, it's true, I am a seer now.

Dear Cassandra Jones, I had the very same meal today at Artie's that I had there with my friend DR ChasSmith last Friday.  Does this indicate something severely unsettling with my psyche?

Had I been on the ball this morning, I could also have accurately predicted that I'd be eating Cincy Chili tonight.

ChasSmith

« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2016, 04:06:31 PM »

The perfect thing.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2016, 04:24:46 PM »

I have finally caved in and upgraded to Finale 2014.5 from Finale 2012.  I can't do a thing with it beyond open files and print scores but all my copyists are now on it, so I have no choice if we are to be in sync.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

KevinH

« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2016, 04:25:36 PM »

Good evening!

KevinH

« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2016, 04:26:21 PM »

I got back yesterday.  The flight left late but still arrived on time.  I then had to take the bus from JFK to LaGuardia. 

KevinH

« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2016, 04:27:04 PM »

Luckily I was able to change my flight to DC from 7 pm to 4 pm.  It left at about 4:35 but I got home a lot earlier than expected.

KevinH

« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2016, 04:31:39 PM »

TOD:  Mame with Ann Milller (in 1969).  I convinced my mother to go to New York.  My brother was about to go into the Navy so I think that's why she agreed.  My mother, brother, sister (Kate) and I went. My other brother had no interest.  We did the usual tourist things.  My aunt's brother-in-law lived in NYC and got us "twofers" (not sure of the spelling)--two for the price of one ticket.  I think they were $6 each.   Loved "Mame."  There was a tap routine added for Ms. Miller.

KevinH

« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2016, 04:33:02 PM »

I liked a few of the songs on Josh Groban's CD, but was also disappointed overall.

KevinH

« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2016, 04:36:35 PM »

I  had some interesting interactions with the flight attendants on my Air Berlin flight.  First:  I wondered why they hadn't passed out earphones for those who didn't have them (they had done so on the flight over), so I asked the flight attendant. She said that she would get one.  Not long after I noticed her handing some little packages to the other flight attendant who was passing out drinks.   It didn't appear that she referred to me (neither of them looked my way) so I thought the packages were something else.  About an hour later I saw the first flight attendant again and asked about the earphones.  She said "she has them" and pointed to the other FA.  I guess only the second one was authorized to hand them out and I should have  known to ask her.

KevinH

« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2016, 04:39:43 PM »

Second:  they passed out the Customs Declaration Form about midway through the flight.  I accidentally checked the box marked "Yes" to the question "were you traveling on business."  I also checked no and circled it.  Later I thought it might be better to do it over so I asked a flight attendant ( I think it was the 2nd one) if she had any extras.  She said she didn't think so but would check.  Never saw her again!  I can't believe they had no extras.  Obviously they didn't have an exact number to match the number of passengers, especially since they asked passengers whether they wanted the English version or the German one.

KevinH

« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2016, 04:41:38 PM »

I must say, though, that the flight attendants on the outgoing flight were really great.

KevinH

« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2016, 04:42:49 PM »

It was the little production of Threepenny Opera that was one of those life changers, to the extent that I was entranced by the fact that this guy was playing a baby grand piano set off to the side, just below the stage, and making that incredible music happen.  (I think it was my first time hearing it.)  I went back to it the next week and introduced myself and he put a chair next to the piano bench so I could sit there and watch the score and everything he was doing.  Yep, that little event, one of those life changers.
Great story.

It is a great story.

I agree!

KevinH

« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2016, 04:51:00 PM »

The  entire Metro subway system will be closed tomorrow for "an emergency inspection of electrical cables" in connection with the incident last year when smoke filled a subway train and killed a woman.  The roads will be a much greater mess than usual.  Federal employees have the option of taking the day off or teleworking.  Since teleworking doesn't apply to me, I'll be taking the day off.  I wouldn't even consider driving to work. First, where will everyone park?   I really would rather use my vacation time on a trip, but at least I have the option of taking the day off.

KevinH

« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2016, 04:58:18 PM »

Sorry you didn't get the email you were hoping for, George.  Next time!

ChasSmith

« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2016, 05:11:02 PM »

I have finally caved in and upgraded to Finale 2014.5 from Finale 2012.  I can't do a thing with it beyond open files and print scores but all my copyists are now on it, so I have no choice if we are to be in sync.

I just happened to get one of their newsletter emails this afternoon, and a couple of the topics were interesting so I read them.  In so doing, and in light of our recent discussions about Finale, and since I've harbored a certain measure of regret over not learning it, I resolved then and there to go back to square one and tackle the son of a bitch.  And I believe I will this time.  I mean, get to know some basic, but useful and functional skills. 

Edit:  Mine is 2012, and we'll just have to see how proficient I get before I throw more money at it.  (I just dropped a C-note on AirTurn pedals.  Imagine!)  But we'll see.  Oh yes, we shall see.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 06:27:08 PM by ChasSmith »

Jane

« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2016, 05:16:49 PM »

Luckily I was able to change my flight to DC from 7 pm to 4 pm.  It left at about 4:35 but I got home a lot earlier than expected.

That's always nice to do. 

George

« Reply #111 on: March 15, 2016, 05:28:38 PM »

Sorry you didn't get the email you were hoping for, George.  Next time!

Yes, next time!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2016, 06:32:08 PM »

Our light system here is very "clever".  When you walk in you can tap the switch and it turns on the entrance hall lights plus the kitchen lights. 

When you walk into the kitchen you can tap the switch and turn on the kitchen lights.

If the kitchen lights are on, and you tap the switch by the entrance to turn on the hall lights, you turn off the kitchen lights.

As I said "clever".

Jane

« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2016, 06:41:28 PM »

I'm nervous about my appointment tomorrow.  I don't want to be told I need surgery, cuz I likely won't do it, and I don't want to be told I need to stop walking for awhile.  I've already reduced my walk by about half.  I can't do other exercised since I can't bend my knee all the way.

On the upside, it doesn't really hurt all that much :)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2016, 06:50:10 PM »

Health vibes for everyone.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2016, 06:50:48 PM »

I am glad about your lovely day Elmore
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jane

« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2016, 06:55:59 PM »

DITTO!!!

George

« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2016, 07:35:03 PM »

DITTO!!!

~~~Ditto Two, and for You, Too (Jane)!!~~~

George

« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2016, 07:36:03 PM »

And now, I'm off.

Until later!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2016, 07:36:43 PM »

I really buckled down, Winsocki and did a rough assemblage of the LA show - it's taken five long hours but at least it's in some semblance of a structure - I"m still on the fence about certain things, especially the opening of act two - I have a really strong and long dance number there (a 60s pastiche), but I think it may be of better use a little later in the act as an energy boost - I can open instead with something softer - it's funny and charming,  a reprise of a song we hear in act one - it might be cute and I can go into a good song from there, and just save the dance thing for a few scenes.  We'll see how I feel about it - not a decision I have to make right now.  I managed to find a decent place for everything, but I think I'll do what I always do and when I'm staging and watching things, I'll probably start switching things into alternate orders to see if I like them better.  But, other than the act two open, maybe I'll get lucky and it will work.  The structure always seems to move us forward and I don't think any of it becomes predictable.  I've put the Bruce Vilanch sketch as a place holder, but I will have no idea if it's going to work there until I see what it actually is.  I've also asked Doug to shorten his six page monologue - I already suggested a quarter of a page worth of cuts, which he agreed with, so now he'll do his own pass at shortening further.  I have a splitting headache now because when I do this kind of thing I concentrate and focus so hard it's just headache-inducing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up