Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: FASTER THAN A SPEEDING BULLET  (Read 19363 times)

Jennifer

Re:FASTER THAN A SPEEDING BULLET
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2004, 11:37:42 AM »

Re: ALW

I actually LOVE EVITA.  And I'm quite fond of JOSEPH.  And I really like the music for ASPECTS OF LOVE.

And I also LOVE the cd of PARADE.

td

• td
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2004, 11:40:48 AM »

My overrated show is Kiss of the Spider Woman. I know this show has many fans on board but I LOATHED the movie and do not care for the musical at all.
Blood Brothers
Les Miz
Miss Saigon
The Lion King

Hated the film of SPIDER WOMAN, honestly, I did.  Read the novel.  Loved the novel.  Read the PLAY.  Loved it, too.
Saw the musical.  Another one that I really like, and I saw it on the same day that I saw that other musical:  BLOOD BROTHERS.
Thought the musical was one of Kander & Ebb's better efforts, yet, the cast albums don't work for me.  
LES MISERABLES I've seen numerous times and enjoyed, but the only time I loved it was when I saw Judy Kuhn, Frances Ruffelle, Terry Mann, Colm Wilkinson and Randy Graff in the first Broadway cast.
The others, with the exception of BLOOD BROTHERS, you can have. . .and you can add MARTIN GUERRE to that list, too. (The TWO cast recordings that I have listened to have done next to nothing for me).
As for THE LION KING - see my feelings regarding AIDA:  if Elton John has written the songs for a musical, I probably will not like it.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2004, 11:42:26 AM »

Page Three Dance!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2004, 11:47:58 AM »

Let's not forget Moby Dick: The Musical.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2004, 11:57:24 AM »

Hmmm...I have seen very few musicals on the stage so I will have to list film musicals:

FLOWER DRUM SONG
42ND STREET
BY THE LIGHT OF THE SILVERY MOON
ON THE TOWN
SILK STOCKINGS
TWIST AROUND THE WORLD
PAJAMA PARTY
LIL ABNER
ON MOONLIGHT BAY
SUMMER STOCK

Of course I left out the numerous Bollywood musicals.

Ben

« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2004, 12:04:09 PM »

Jennifer, surprise, surprise. Five of the shows you mentioned as faves

She Loves Me
Sweeney Todd
Into the Woods
Cabaret
A Little Night Music

are shows I really love, so we do have some things in common.

I have heard one of the Martin Guerre cast recordings and it left me cold also. I have a friend who loves the show but I don't think I could sit through it after listening to the recording.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2004, 12:06:39 PM »

DRSWW, I saw the original NINE...one of the most memorable scores I've ever heard in the theatre. ...I was the first person, to my knowledge, to score Maury's song "New Words" for more than a small ensemble, and I think it's one of the most wonderful songs any composer-lyricist has penned...
And that's horseracing.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2004, 12:23:01 PM »

I'm seeing Pacific Overtures on Wednesday, December 22nd. My major concern is I'm in the back of the orchestra and my last experience at Studio 54 seeing Assassins annoyed me because I missed seeing parts of the show due to the staging. The balcony overhang is severe in this theatre and it's like Joe Mantello totally ignored that when he staged the show. PO is my absolute, bar none favorite piece of musical theatre in all of history (have I gone just a bit too far) and I'm sure the same thing will happen at some point (visually that is) during PO. I only took this subscription so I could be sure to get a ticket for the show....
What do you call a Pacific Overtures fan when he sees a production that's badly staged?  "P. O.'d," of course!   ;D

Der Brucer and I were lucky enough to see the British National Opera production (coincidentally the same day we saw the London Follies.)  Der B hadn't really wanted to see it, but we were able to get matinee tix at a good price.  Of course, by the intermission he was bouncing on his feet, thoroughly enjoying himself.  The show wasn't well preserved on disc, but it was wonderful in the theater.

Follies, on the other hand, supports your contention about a show being badly staged and designed.  We were in the balcony for this one, with the second balcony causing overhang problems.  But the perspective was all wrong for some of the staging, like trying to view a tableau at the Laguna Beach Pageant of the Masters from overhead, and I thought the actors were still focusing their performances towards where the director had sat rather than to the entire auditorium.  (But I still loved Diana Rigg doing her striptease!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2004, 12:43:28 PM »

Interesting side note, to me at least:

Of the shows der Brucer listed as favorites that he's seen, there's only one that he saw when I was with him (The Secret Garden).

I know he's referring to the original touring production of Little Shop of Horrors so fondly, because what we saw together at the Long Beach Civic Light Opera (starrring Dom DeLouise as Mushnick, billed over everyone else and looped on painkillers) was a total botch conceptually, beginning with being in a barn theater that dwarfed everything on the stage.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2004, 12:51:18 PM »

I have heard one of the Martin Guerre cast recordings and it left me cold also. I have a friend who loves the show but I don't think I could sit through it after listening to the recording.

Another guilty pleasure.  Both CD's of Martin Guerre.  I saw the short-lived tour in LA in 2000 and LOVED the first act, very well done.  However, the second act was not good at all.  It was very sad because I wanted to like the show and I wanted it to do well. 

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2004, 01:11:59 PM »

ICE STATION ZEBRA is on TCM right now!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2004, 01:13:47 PM »

Hmmm, ICE STATION ZEBRA is on TCM right now.  And this is a reason for celebration because...?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2004, 01:26:04 PM »

I just picked up the most interesting book, a first edition entitled Three for Bedroom C.  Now, you might ask, what is so consarned interesting about a first edition of a novel entitled Three for Bedroom C?  Well, I'm not going to tell you.  You shall have to guess.  Here are clews: It is, I believe, the only novel of its author.  Its author is not known as an author at all, but as someone who has something in common with me, and who is legendary in his chosen field.  The year in which the book was written also plays an interesting part.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2004, 01:39:12 PM »

DerBrucer wrote: "CATS is first and formost a dance show - the "songs" are incidental, but appealing nonetheless."

CATS is a revue, and the songs AND dances are integral to it. I am SO not a fan of the show, but because of its slimmest thread of a plot and progression of one number after another, it pleased an awful lot of people for an awfully long time. Don't like this song? There's another different one coming right up! As much as I didn't like the show, I have to admit that one or two of the numbers in the show were great fun for me to watch and listen to.

Of course, the Tony it won for Best Book of a Musical has to be THE most ludicrous Tony Award ever awarded.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

François de Paris

« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2004, 01:41:32 PM »

Hmmm...
I guess I must be a musical theater dweeb because I like Jerry Herman's musicals and music very much!
Oh, i'm sure he's a terrible human being -- i don't think La Merman was whipped cream either -- but his music and lyrics make me feel good and happy and, yes, even gay at times!

Not for the intellectual kind, of course! La Cage -- the film -- is a farce; i saw a staged version of the musical in Florida and it was deeply moving! I cared much more for the characters in the musical than for the ones of the film version....

Hmmm... (again!) No mention of Harry Warren, one of my favorite composers! Harry who?

Well, I have seen so few musicals on stage that i can't partake in a listing, I guess...

Favourite lyricists will have to be Alan J. Lerner and Larry Hart...

I don't like the word "hate" so I won't mention what I don't care for; waste of time and not constructive!
How can anyone "hate" a musical, anyway, unless it offends decency and intelligence?

Over-rented musical; RENT! Just for the pun; never heard/saw it!

Hope everything's and everyone's ok in BUSHLAND, aka Four More Years, Stop This Country, I Want To Get Off and Vomit On The Ground, a non-existing musical that I HATE!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 01:44:15 PM by François de Paris »

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2004, 01:45:14 PM »

Watched THE NAME OF THE ROSE this afternoon. I still think it's too long for the story it tells, but, boy, was the 14th century captured beautifully on film. I really felt I was there.

The DVD looks very nice. Of course, there are some overly grainy shots (not the DVD's fault; I remember the film looking grainy in the theater), but they're beefed up the soundtrack to Dolby Digital 5.1, and they get some great deep bass going on a couple of occasions.

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2004, 01:50:08 PM »

I have to admit I was appalled at Jerry Herman the night he won that LA CAGE Tony. So crass and so gloating.

Now, that says nothing against the merits of LA CAGE which I find warm, human, and lovely. It's my second favorite Herman score after MAME.

And I think it speaks VOLUMES that he's never had the guts to come back to Broadway with a new show again. Oh, he says he just hasn't found a subject to interest him, but I think he wanted to go out with a winner and doesn't want to risk another DEAR WORLD/GRAND TOUR/MACK AND MABEL type of failure.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2004, 02:04:02 PM »

I just picked up the most interesting book, a first edition entitled Three for Bedroom C.  Now, you might ask, what is so consarned interesting about a first edition of a novel entitled Three for Bedroom C?  Well, I'm not going to tell you.  You shall have to guess.  Here are clews: It is, I believe, the only novel of its author.  Its author is not known as an author at all, but as someone who has something in common with me, and who is legendary in his chosen field.  The year in which the book was written also plays an interesting part.

Well the story (for the Swanson movie) was by Goddard Libierson - one those album production guys.

I can find no reference to it as a stand-alone novel.

Goddard Lieberson is responsible for my whole recording career in the United States, since it was he who convinced me to record the Rite of Spring in April, 1940. I knew Goddard only distantly then. I knew his wife ten years before that and only with difficulty can I relate the young A&R executive with the man who has for the last decade been one of my dearest friends. Goddard Lieberson has always held that the sales department of a record company must not be allowed to dictate to the artists and repertory department and to that policy the whole of contemporary music is indebted, for Columbia Records, thanks to Goddard Lieberson, has almost single-handedly championed the modern composer rather than the established mediocrities amongst performers. Goddard Lieberson is a man of great talents and illuminating wit. He is also extremely gentle and is a man who is constantly learning, reading, developing. I cannot say more of someone whom I am so fond.

Igor Stravinsky, 1961

der Bruce (hoping bk gives with the year the novel was written - my guess is it's bk's birthday))
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Michael

« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2004, 02:05:14 PM »

Three for Bedroom C written by the great Coulmbia Broadway/Musical cast album producer Goddard Lieberson.
Never stop dreaming.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2004, 02:06:20 PM »

"3 for bedroom C" by Goddard Lieberson.  Published by Doubleday & Company, Inc., 1947.  221 pages.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2004, 02:08:31 PM »

Gloria Swanson was in the film version. I think it was her first movie after Sunset Blvd. So as a small kid I couldn't figure it out how she had a daughter after killing William Holden and going mad. It was during a week of Swanson films on the afternoon movie matinee.
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2004, 02:09:24 PM »

François,
I, too, love Harry Warren. I have a compilation CD (along with other CDs containing music written by him) put out by the Smithsonian. They have a series of CDs celebrating various composers and Harry Warren is one of them. Very nice stuff. I don't know how many there are because they didn't sell well so many are out of print. I have 10 and I know there are at least 22 ranging from Fats Waller to Dorothy Fields, to Cy Coleman and the usual suspects though Stephen Sondheim is not part of the group. I imagine he's not in because it's called the American Songbook Series and though he has written some memorable and wonderful music, I don't think he is generally considered to be part of the group that wrote the "American Songbook". Anyway, I digress.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2004, 02:12:10 PM »

I never said I hated Follies.

The question was, what's the single most overrated musical, and so I felt I had to pick something that's rated VERY VERY highly.  People I know don't rate Lloyd Webber all that highly, which is why I picked young Jason Robert Brown who's rated VERY VERY highly on the basis of two Broadway bombs, a short-lived off-Broadway indulgence, and an off-off-Broadway revue.

One can certainly see where having seen a show makes a great difference.  Joy and I sat at A New Brain thoroughly mystified.  What the hell was that?  But, on record, it's clear that William Finn's score is one of the most tuneful dazzlers of the past decade.  To have not seen the show is to love it.

I've seen Follies twice - original London production and that Roundabout revival from the balcony.  I've read the book and played through the score.  A lot of people I respect say that the original Broadway production, directed by both Michael Bennett and Harold Prince, was among the greatest musicals ever.  And I still doubt it, because, no matter how you dress it up, it's still about middle-aged dweebs regretting their life choices.  If it's entertaining, it's entertaining in SPITE of that.

I almost had Strouse and Adams on my list, but substituted Lerner & Loewe at the last minute, recalling how underwhelming I found Applause and how few songs there are in Superman - but these two I've only seen in their television versions.

Yeah, those two Burton Lane hits are as good as anybody's.

Would it be pedantic to point out that the title of the 12th Night musical is Your Own Thing.  I've never heard of Do Your Own Thing - is it something else?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2004, 02:19:29 PM »

Would it be pedantic to point out that the title of the 12th Night musical is Your Own Thing.  I've never heard of Do Your Own Thing - is it something else?

Yes - but I sit corrected.

der Brucer (bowed but not humbled!)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2004, 02:23:23 PM »

Doubt it all you like, but it was a brilliant production and the show worked because of it.  As played by its original cast, you felt for the "dweebs" as you call them - you may not have liked them but you understood them and felt for them.  The show worked on so many levels it was breathtaking.  You saw the London production, which was MUCH revised, and the Roundabout, which also used text revisions which are not as good as the original.  But, you will never know whereof I (and many many others) speak because you didn't see it.  If you had, I can guarantee you you would be saying the same thing.  

Yes, it's Goddard Lieberson's one and only novel, and yes, it was written in my birth year.  How odd is that?

Danise

« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2004, 02:26:33 PM »

Good late afternoon/early evening folks!

I'm back from the days shopping trip which included a couple of DVD's, Red Sonja and The Wind and Lion.  What can I say?  I love Arnie movies.  I haven't really seen one that I really dislike.  Maybe not like enough to own but not put out and out dislike.

I can’t BELIVE all of the Christmas stuff that’s out now.  I’m kinda surprised I haven’t seen the live Christmas trees for sale.  I think that’s about all that’s left to come out.

I do have a question.  Forgive the ignorance but if I don’t ask I’ll never learn.  For my Jewish friends here on the board, is it ok to send you a Christmas card or would that offend you?  I bought some (C)hanuka (is that with a C or a H I see it both ways) cards but if I slip up and send you the wrong kind of card, will you be ok with it?

Also, I would like to send you all cards but I don't have your address.  If it's ok to send you one, will you please give me your address by PM or E-mail.   Those of you who have already received something from me in mail know I have your address, unless you've moved.

Cats was the only play/musical whatever you want to call it that I actually started looking at my watch and wondered when it would be finely be over.  See people lick themselves and act like cats was charming.  For all of, oh lets say, fifth teen minutes.  If that long.

Miss Saigon.  Ugh.  I felt the same way about it.  And it used, Hang Down Your Head Tom Dooley and the main love song!

Wonderful Town is nice but clearly dated material.  I’m not saying I didn’t enjoy it.  I liken it to watching an old Black and White movie.  There are many of them that I still enjoy but you can tell what time period they belong to.

Aida.  I thought it was great.

Les Miserables has to be among my all time favorites.  

POTO,  right up there with Les Miserables

Barnum.  A really fun show.  I didn’t get to see it live but I love the DVD.  Mr. C is clearly in his element and having a great time.  

Camelot.  

My Fair Lady.

Mame.  Another dated but fun show.

Wicked.  Anything with witches, magic and fantasy has my vote.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2004, 02:29:56 PM »

Mbarnum-great news getting the interview

Goddard Lieberson produced original cast recordings.
Bruce that is all the research I have time for.  I think if I had more time I would find the connection.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2004, 02:31:31 PM »

There were so many posts while I was doing other things and before I could post.  I will return later to read them.

Michael

« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2004, 02:34:52 PM »

Tonight I am going to theater, to see When Pigs Fly. If they can make helicopters fly on stage why not pigs?
Never stop dreaming.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2004, 02:42:15 PM »

Doubt it all you like, but it was a brilliant production and the show worked because of it.  As played by its original cast, you felt for the "dweebs" as you call them - you may not have liked them but you understood them and felt for them.  The show worked on so many levels it was breathtaking.  You saw the London production, which was MUCH revised, and the Roundabout, which also used text revisions which are not as good as the original.  But, you will never know whereof I (and many many others) speak because you didn't see it.  If you had, I can guarantee you you would be saying the same thing.

OK, BK - I guess I'll take that guarantee to the bank.

I was very aware of the text and score changes in the productions I saw.  That's why I read the published script while playing every note of the published score.  Like Flower Drum Song, Follies is certainly in no need of revision.

Older folk sometimes tell me that when I get closer to the age of Ben, Buddy, Sally and Phyllis, I'll have an easier time empathizing with them.  If middle-age is anything like what's portrayed in Follies, shoot me now!
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up