Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LIVELY AND SPARKLING TEETH  (Read 18197 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:THE LIVELY AND SPARKLING TEETH
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2004, 03:36:44 PM »

Boy, are some of us in trouble, or what?

US Today

BRASILIA, Brazil (AP) — A Brazilian legislator wants to make it illegal to give pets names that are common among people.

Federal congressman Reinaldo Santos e Silva proposed the law after psychologists suggested that some children may get depressed when they learn they share their first name with someone's pet, Damarias Alves, a spokeswoman for Silva, said last week.

"Names have importance," Alves said. The congressman "wants to challenge people's assumptions that it's acceptable to give animals human names," she said.

If the law is passed, pet stores and veterinary clinics would be required to display a sign noting the prohibition of human first names for pets.

Brazilians who break the law would be subject to fines or community service.

der Brucer (can we give people pet's names - "Puff, meet my parner, Rover")
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

MBarnum

« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2004, 03:38:19 PM »

Good vibes of all kinds to JRand54!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D   ;D  ;D  ;D   ;D  ;D  ;D [/move]

MBarnum

« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2004, 03:39:21 PM »

DR Jennifer, I like all types of soup, especially when I am sick...most partial to split grean pea soup, oyster stew, and veggie soups...particularly if they are homemade!

Hope you feel better soon!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2004, 03:39:53 PM »

PLEASE BE FULLY CLOTHED WHEN SHOWERING!

From FNC:

The Human Rights Commission of News Brunswick ruled that Brigette LeBlanc's rights were violated when she was forced to use a separate changing room. The ruling means that coed hockey team players can't be segregated, but includes the caveat that boys must wear shorts at all times and girls must wear shorts and T-shirts.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2004, 03:48:31 PM »

Things I once loved and now detest: Martin & Lewis films. I was a big, big fan as a child - mostly because Dean was so handsome, had such a good voice, and was so cool and laid back with all of Jerry's craziness.

Now, Jerry's antics are a total turnoff, and Dean has lost his luster in my eyes.

That's the primary reason why I can't summon much enthusiasm for bk's Jerry Lewis-a-thon on DVDs. His persona both in tandem with Martin and solo is just of no interest to me at all.

With any luck, when you reach your senior years you will be able to rediscover the remembered joys from your youth (ooh, a Proust reference).

der "Hey, pull my finger" Brucer

td

• td
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2004, 04:58:20 PM »

TOD:  2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY.

I was bored to tears, and nearly asleep, when I first saw it:  and yes, it was on a huge, curved screen.
I was bored to tears the second time I saw it, on a flat screen, but still in a theater.
I was bored by the first videotape as well as the laserdiscs.
I wasn't bothered or bored by the first dvd (MGM), but the Warner release, for some reason, wiped all of my boredom and angst away.
I think it is a fine piece of cinema.  Now I find that it is one of my most watched dvds.
It only took three decades for me to warm up to it.
Just think, in less than thirty years, I might even like EYES WIDE SHUT!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Danise

« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2004, 04:59:14 PM »

Evening all!

Does anyone know of a production of “Oz” that needs a Tin Woman?  I think I could win the part without even trying!  Oh, my aching aches!  Maybe a good “stiff” drink would loosen me up?

I called about renting a chipper/shredder.  The next step in the process.  Either that or hauling it all down to dump.

DR Jose, I also enjoy all of your food, travel and show stories. I wish your travels would bring you to the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center, we could do lunch or maybe dinner.

SWW—about the dogs doing the dishes.  So you discovered that little trick as well.  We haven’t had to wash a dish since we got our dogs!  :-X  Just kidding guys.  They might lick the plate but it gets washed in very hot and soapy water, I swear!  ;D

Soup.  I didn’t like it very much as kid but have learned to love it.  I make my own Ham and Bean soup.  I love mushroom soup (and use it in many, many recipes).   French Onion is another favorite.  Tomato, Collard Green, chicken noodle, vegetable and vegetable beef rank among my other top favorites.  Home made where ever possible.

This must be teeth week.  I have to go on Thursday morning to have a filling redone myself.  Darn them.  Darn them all to heck.  

DerBrucer, I wish I had a penny for every time my Dad “pulled” that old joke on me!  LOL!  That and 52 Pick up.   :)

Vibes to Jrand!  Vibes to DR Elmore!  A round of vibes to everyone on me!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 05:01:11 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ginny

« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2004, 05:29:50 PM »

Must also be a day for aches & pains and staying home, which I did today with a very sore back.  Anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxants were prescribed and seem to be helping.  And, Danise, I don't even have the satisfaction of having chopped down a tree!

DRelmore - Hope you're feeding that cold - soup is especially good and this group has lots of good suggestions.  One of my favorite canned soups is Progresso Tomato Rotini, which they seem to have taken off the market - story of my life.

Job-hunting vibes to JRand and continued safe travels to Panni.

TOD - I experience the dislike/like phenomenon most often with books (disliked Madame Bovary in college, loved it 20 years later).  Most recently, I tried several times, when it was popular to readCold Mountain, but could not get into it until after seeing the movie.  I "read" most of it with my ears (audiobook, while driving), but at the end wanted to actually read the ending slowly.  There are many books that I get through by listening that I think I would abandon easily otherwise.  Any other book listeners out there?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2004, 05:47:30 PM »

DRelmore - Hope you're feeding that cold - soup is especially good and this group has lots of good suggestions.  One of my favorite canned soups is Progresso Tomato Rotini, which they seem to have taken off the market - story of my life.

Ron Raines' wife tells me that everyone she knows has got a bad cold right now.  Since I couldn't get a flu shot this year, I'm hoping what I've got passes without turning into the flu.  Between the surgery and the flu, I'd be living in the bathroom and that's too gross to contemplate.

For dinner, I ordered from Artie's Deli a quart of matzoh ball soup with noodles and a quart of mushroom barley.  I had a bowl of matzoh ball soup with a tuna salad sandwich and a handful of Vitamin C (rosehip, 1000 mg/tablet).  I'll have a few cashews, dried apricots and dried dates before I sleep.  I  meant to reschedule my first therapy appointment tomorrow, but I called too late, so I have to be at therapy tomorrow morning at 8:30.   I'm about ready for bed, but I'll check back in before I turn out the lights.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2004, 05:47:57 PM »

I don't really like soups...other than chili (if that counts).  I also don't listen to talking books.  I can't keep track of what's been happening if I listen to a book being read.  I like being able to look right up and re-read a paragraph or a word that I missed.  When I'm at work, I have the freedom to listen to recordings, but I'll always choose my CDs of musicals over spoken word, any day.  And I have a lot of musicals! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2004, 05:52:29 PM »

As for musicals that I didn't like at first listen (based only on the recording, of course) was The Hired Man.  I have the original London recording (produced, but not written by Andrew Lloyd Webber) and just didn't care for it the first time I heard it.  I put it away for about three years and told myself that I just had to listen to it again to make sure that I really didn't like it.  Well, I put it on one day and actually listened to it.  I didn't just have it as background music or worked while I listened and I instantly loved it.  I don't know what happened in those three years or if something at that time just hit me right, but I love the recording.  I now also have the complete, live concert recording that has most of the original cast.  That's also very good!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2004, 05:53:56 PM »

As for liking something earlier in my life and then not liking it later...that doesn't happen with me (from what I can remember).   Once I like something, it ususally stays liked. ;)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2004, 05:56:31 PM »

I just had a lovely conversation with Tony Walton, who begins tomorrow rehearsals for Noel Coward's AFTER THE BALL, based on LADY WINDERMERE'S FAN, for the Irish Rep.  10 of the cast are from WHERE'S CHARLEY?, and I told him it sounds like a reunion on which I want to be involved.  They're doing itr with only piano, so there's no role for me, but I can't wait to see it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2004, 06:04:22 PM »

Good to see you, Danise. Hope you feel better soon.

Soup: I like soup. I like to make soup, especially when it's cold (which is not often).
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2004, 07:21:53 PM »

I am obsessed with soup right now.  All I want is Hot and Sour.

Does anyone know if they sell this at the grocery store?
You can certainly get the ingredients.

Trim the fat off of a 2 oz. boneless pork chop and slice it into thin shreds.  Soak 2 dried Chinese mushrooms in
1/2 cup warm water for about 10 minutes, until soft, then drain, reserving the liquid.  Stem the mushrooms, discard the stems, and shred the caps.

Bring 3 cups chicken stock and the water the mushrooms soaked in to a boil in a large saucepan.    Add 3 T cider vinegar (the sour), 2 t soy sauce, and 1/2 t cayenne (the hot) to the broth and simmer for 5 minutes.  Stirring the pot, add the pork strips and cook for about 2 minutes, until the pork is cooked through.  Add 1/4 c shredded bamboo shoots and 2 coarsely chopped water chestnuts, along with the mushroom strips, and simmer for a couple more minutes before adding 1/2 lb firm bean curd that has been cut into 1/2-inch dice.

Bring the soup back to a simmer.  Make a slurry of 2 T cornstarch and 1/2 c cold water, stir into the soup, and bring everything back to a boil, stirring until thickened.  Finally, while still stirring (but using a fork to stir at this point), add a lightly beaten egg, and salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.  Serve and be humble in accepting your glowing reviews.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2004, 07:26:01 PM »

One of my reversals is with a book. I read Patricia Nell Warren's The Front Runner in college and thought it was one of the best books I ever read....I picked it up again many years later and couldn't get through it.
Another member of the community that der Brucer and I have met.  Last time we saw her, she was pushing for after school activities for gay students.  We wrote a check.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2004, 07:27:48 PM »

Charles Pogue guess I had better not watch WHERE’S PAPPA again.  Keith and I also thought it was hysterical.  So often movies just aren’t as good as I remember them.  If I could put my brain into gear I might possibly name a few.

The first time I attempted to read A TALE OF TWO CITIES I couldn’t get into it.  The second time I picked it up I didn’t put it down until I had finished reading it.

Jane

« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2004, 07:33:31 PM »

George did you find Ebony?  I’m only up to page three.  I hope since then you have posted good news.

Ben when I first read the words “hit” my heart skipped a beat.  I’m sorry and relieved at the same time it is only a virus in DiT’s computer.  I sure hope it didn’t do much damage.

Hi M Brandon.  

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2004, 07:42:53 PM »

td, 2001: SPACE ODYSSEY still bores the Hell of me.  Once in the theatre was enough for me.  And any snippets I've caught of it on TV over the years have not convinced me to change my mind and give it another look. BORING!!!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2004, 08:00:37 PM »

What's wedding soup?
What I've seen served as Wedding Soup is more commonly known as Stracciatella, or Chicken Soup with Eggs and Cheese.

Beat 2 eggs in a small bowl until they are just blended, then mix in 2 T freshly grated Parmesan cheese (not the stuff in the green can, ever!), 2 T finely chopped flat leaf (Italian) parsley, and a grating or two of fresh nutmeg (a pinch of pre-ground nutmeg in a pinch, but that stuff belongs in a green can, too).

Bring a quart of chicken stock to a bubble in a large saucepan over high heat, then, stirring with a whisk, pour the egg mixture into the stock in a steady stream.  Keep stirring for a couple of minutes.  The eggs will form tattered ribbons in the soup, same as they did in the Hot and Sour Soup I served up for Jennifer.  Serve at once, and receive accolades in the same manner as Jennifer was instructed to do.

Jane

« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2004, 08:00:58 PM »

Me too Charles.

Jane

« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2004, 08:01:34 PM »

JRand-good vibe jobes!!

DERBRUCER-scary but funny.  I can’t imagine passing such a law.  G-d I hope I’m wrong.

Ginny-wonderful avatar!!  Good healing back vibes.

Elmore, Jennifer and anyone else with a cold, try taking zinc.

Jane

« Reply #112 on: November 08, 2004, 08:04:18 PM »

It was a perfect autumn day here so I leisurely did errands in town and walked in the park.  I should have taken my camera it was so beautiful.  We have a very small Japanese Garden which is brilliant in the fall.  I shall try to capture it with my camera tomorrow.

Goodnight.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2004, 08:10:32 PM »

Had dinner with our very own Tammy Minoff.  Went to Stanley's.  The waitress came and Tammy wanted pasta so I strongly recommended she have my fave, the garlic chicken pasta.  She ordered it.  I decided to be a good boy and I ordered the Chinese Chicken Salad.  Our waitress kept asking if I wanted it first and I kept saying no, bring it with the pasta.  We couldn't understand why she went on about it - until, that is, she brought the food.  She'd totally misunderstood, and brought both of us the garlic chicken pasta AND one Chinese Chicken Salad.  I really cannot comprehend how she misunderstood, since my order was so clear, but I was nice and didn't say anything and then ate way too much food instead of being a good boy.  Oh, well.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2004, 08:11:21 PM »

Tonight I watched a movie that I loved the first time I saw it and I still love it--Georgy Girl.  I never seem to think of it when I'm making a top ten list, but it's a definate favorite.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2004, 08:13:58 PM »

Oh, yes, brisk weather is upon us. It's going to be downright chilly here during the next few evenings. Finally had to break down and turn on my heat.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2004, 08:13:59 PM »

td, 2001: SPACE ODYSSEY still bores the Hell of me.  Once in the theatre was enough for me.  And any snippets I've caught of it on TV over the years have not convinced me to change my mind and give it another look. BORING!!!

Thank you for that, DR Charles!  For so long, I had thought that there was something WRONG with me, for everyone of my circle of friends were wildy enthusiastic about it, and at the time, to me it just sat there like so much cold fish. . .

Now, SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER is one movie that I haven't changed my mind about. . .didn't like it the first time, saw it recently on dvd and still was not impressed in the least.  Don't get me wrong, I love soap operas on the big screen (my GONE WITH THE WIND arrived earlier today!) but, SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER still does nothing for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2004, 08:18:10 PM »

I've never cared for SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER either. I did like GEORGY GIRL when I saw it back in the 1960s, but honestly, I don't think I've ever watched it again.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2004, 08:19:03 PM »

Cavities were not as prevalent once we entered the seventies.  I don't know what happened, whether it was the water or just people taking better care, but when I was a kid, everyone had cavities, and lots of 'em.
Ah, but when we were kids the Commies were still trying to fluoridate the water, an activity fought tooth and tooth by the pro-dentist John Birch Society.  Once the Commies won and the water was fluoridated, both they and the JBS evaporated, leaving a cavity in our political system.

;D ::)

td

• td
« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2004, 08:26:23 PM »

I believe that BK has stated that he never really liked GONE WITH THE WIND (If I'm wrong, correct me), but are there any other fans of it on this most popular of websites other than ME? ? ?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up