Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ASSEMBLING THE SHOW  (Read 2343 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: ASSEMBLING THE SHOW
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2016, 11:37:08 AM »

THREE
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

ChasSmith

« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2016, 11:41:40 AM »

What I've spent my morning finishing up, starting with the backstory:

In the early 1970s I had this "semi-pro" Sony Superscope audio cassette recorder with a decent external stereo microphone.  In 1974 I took it along on a visit to Cincinnati, and recorded an entire Where's Charley? at my mom and dad's community theater (Terrace Park Players).  My dad had some silly small part in it and my mom and I were in the audience.

Four decades later, my dad found the two cassettes and asked if they were mine or if I knew what the hell they were.  I told him, and we popped them in and listened.  The recording was surprisingly decent, but the kicker was hearing my mom, dead for two decades, laughing her ass off throughout the show.  He was beside himself hearing that, and I brought the cassettes home to burn them to CD for him and I'd hang on to the originals.

The tapes still play beautifully and I decided it was time I learned to do this stuff reasonably well.  I made full range WAV file transfers directly into my ZOOM digital recorder and created Audacity project files from those.  I chopped out a few extraneous noises, added fade-ins and fade-outs, edited the whole thing to fit perfectly on two CDs without sacrificing quality, and burned them to disc using Windows Media Player which I've come to grips with just enough to accomplish that much.

So, on my upcoming visit, my dad's getting the CDs for his 91st birthday, along with a copy of the 1974 program with their names and their friends' names in it (how that ever survived there, I'll never know).  And I'm REALLY delighted to be getting this audio stuff under my belt at long last.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2016, 11:42:06 AM »

In the early 1970s I had this "semi-pro" Sony Superscope audio cassette recorder with a decent external stereo microphone.  In 1974 I took it along on a visit to Cincinnati, and recorded an entire Where's Charley? at my mom and dad's community theater (Terrace Park Players).  My dad had some silly small part in it and my mom and I were in the audience.

Four decades later, my dad found the two cassettes and asked if they were mine or if I knew what the hell they were.  I told him, and we popped them in and listened.  The recording was surprisingly decent, but the kicker was hearing my mom, dead for two decades, laughing her ass off throughout the show.  He was beside himself hearing that, and I brought the cassettes home to burn them to CD for him and I'd hang on to the originals.

The tapes still play beautifully and I decided it was time I learned to do this stuff reasonably well.  I made full dynamic range WAV file transfers directly into my ZOOM digital recorder and created Audacity project files from those.  I chopped out a few extraneous noises, added fade-ins and fade-outs, edited the whole thing to fit perfectly on two CDs without sacrificing quality, and burned them to disc using Windows Media Player which I've come to grips with just enough to accomplish that much.

So, on my upcoming visit, my dad's getting the CDs for his 91st birthday, along with a copy of the 1974 program with their names and their friends' names in it (how that ever survived there, I'll never know).  And I'm REALLY delighted to be getting this audio stuff under my belt at long last.

What a marvelous gift!
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2016, 11:45:12 AM »

DR TCB, I guess I forgot you were going to see your old friend Hans Andersen. Give him my regards!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2016, 11:45:52 AM »

Channel 13 is showing Shakespeare items all afternoon in celebration.  Right now, Richard II.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2016, 11:50:08 AM »

Saturday afternoon greetings!  I just returned from visiting Mom and now I'm having a late lunch.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2016, 11:52:19 AM »

Channel 13 is showing Shakespeare items all afternoon in celebration.  Right now, Richard II.

And the Met Opera's broadcast is Otello.  I heard the beginning of Act I on my way to Mom's and the end of Act II on my way home.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2016, 12:04:11 PM »

And I forgot to send a sympathy card to Will's family.  Of course, Elmore knew him better than I did.
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2016, 12:05:40 PM »

Oh DR ELMORE - I forgot about MAURICE.

And I forgot Marlowe's play Edward II. 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2016, 12:06:55 PM »

And I forgot to send a sympathy card to Will's family.  Of course, Elmore knew him better than I did.

You're still pissed because Will sacked you when you thought the play was called Omelette!

Ginny

« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2016, 12:07:22 PM »

DR ChasSmith, I love the 91st birthday gift for your Dad!  Have your travel plans come into focus yet?

Ginny

« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2016, 12:08:41 PM »

TOD - Sunday Bloody Sunday

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2016, 12:09:34 PM »

Richard II is so dreary.

I think it, King John, and Julius Caesar are three of Shakespeare's most boring plays.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2016, 12:12:01 PM »

Richard II is so dreary.

I think it, King John, and Julius Caesar are three of Shakespeare's most boring plays.

I agree with you about RICHARD II
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2016, 12:22:06 PM »

Richard II is so dreary.

Rob and Mary Linda are going to see Julius Caesar at Cincinnati Shakespeare Theatre tonight.

ChasSmith

« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2016, 12:47:17 PM »

DR ChasSmith, I love the 91st birthday gift for your Dad!  Have your travel plans come into focus yet?

Almost.  I'm awaiting one response from someone which I really hope I'll have in the next day or two.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2016, 12:56:32 PM »

The tapes still play beautifully and I decided it was time I learned to do this stuff reasonably well.  I made full range WAV file transfers directly into my ZOOM digital recorder and created Audacity project files from those.  I chopped out a few extraneous noises, added fade-ins and fade-outs, edited the whole thing to fit perfectly on two CDs without sacrificing quality, and burned them to disc using Windows Media Player which I've come to grips with just enough to accomplish that much.

This is beautiful and wonderful.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2016, 01:02:31 PM »

Film:
The Wedding Banquet

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2016, 01:59:38 PM »

What a great story from DR CHAS SMITH!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2016, 03:30:27 PM »

What a great story from DR CHAS SMITH!!!

Yep!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2016, 03:56:54 PM »

Hello, everyone.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2016, 04:01:25 PM »

I'll answer BK's question first.

Mary Lee Gowland! Now that's a name I haven't heard in fifty years! She was at Bluth, I believe, and a blonde. I can't tell you which shows--I think it was only one. She had a very patrician look.

What's she doing now?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2016, 04:03:41 PM »

Now, Bruce, will you puleeeze give me the dates and times for the LA show? I've been telling people about it, but can't give specifics. Web searches turn up some interesting old photos, but nothing about your show.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2016, 04:05:50 PM »

So glad to hear how well Vixmom's Friday went. A lovely tribute.

And so clever of her to save time and energy at the car wash, as DR Ron astutely pointed out.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2016, 04:08:42 PM »

TCB, I'm sorry you're encountering so much bad weather on your cruise. I always liked sea days; I hope yours still provide some sort of relaxation and benefit.

This is a repositioning cruise, yes? You'll be flying home?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2016, 04:13:05 PM »

How nice for you and your dad. I love finding old things--the stuff the anti-clutter people told you to toss out long ago.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2016, 04:17:17 PM »

I went to acupuncture this morning, then stopped for some tacos. I did some cleaning when I got home. There's more to do, just not sure I want to do it.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2016, 04:22:28 PM »

I've been watching FORTITUDE, a strange murder mystery series that takes place on a small island in the Arctic. I find the depiction of life there interesting, and the show is well done in many ways. Stanley Tucci is wonderful. Michael Gambon is always a pleasure. It has its fans. I'll finish season one.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2016, 04:29:14 PM »

I'm also reading a new author, Ben Aaronovitch, not a name I'd known. Apparently, he wrote some of the early DR WHO episodes. Very capable writer. At first his novels sounded like knock-offs of the Bryant & May series that I'm so fond of, and thus were suspect. But they're not that. Sloppy marketing, I think. These have a flavor of their own. MIDNIGHT RIOT is the first of the series. Like the Bryant & May books, they are all about London and quite fun. 

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2016, 04:30:16 PM »

Have a nice weekend, everyone.

TTFN.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up