Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: A CONVENTIONAL DITHER  (Read 23311 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:A CONVENTIONAL DITHER
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2004, 07:51:48 AM »

INDISCREET is such a romantic movie.....

MBARNUM speaks the truth Meena Kumari is probably my favorite Bollywood actress (with Helen a close second) - her performance in PAHKEEZAH is one of the most remarkable I have EVER seen.

William Reynolds as a female impersonator?  I know he was a male impersonator for MANY years!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2004, 07:53:54 AM »

William Smith Page Two Dance!  ;D

Ben

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2004, 07:54:34 AM »

Well, I have returned. I am usually an early morning denizen but yesterday afternoon and through the morning I was getting a new computer at the office so I was not able to do my usual early morning read and post. I've had a fairly seamless transition thanks to some good folk in IT. I love my new system. It has a flat panel monitor so I now have desk room I didn't have yesterday. The screen resolution is also improved. It's faster and it has a working burner drive! The inner geek in me is in heaven.

Nothing in the drive because I've just finished setting things up the way I like them, changing icons and putting new wallpaper on the screen, etc. Now I must get back to real Foundation Center work. Oh, well.

Laters (as our friend Jose would say)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2004, 08:01:05 AM »

DR JRand, I agree about INDISCREET although I haven't seen it in DECADES! I hope my memories of it are justified by this (used) DVD purchase.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2004, 08:14:56 AM »

This book looks amusing for its cover alone, but the description at Amazon makes it sound like it could be interesting to read.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2004, 08:45:24 AM »

Good morning.  I've now watched the extras on Broadway: The Golden Age - some very nice things.  And a preview of Broadway: The Next Generation - thirty minutes of raw unedtied interview footage.  I will only say that very few of the "new" generation can match those performers of the Golden Age generation.  First of all, as someone has pointed out, the Golden Age folks are all talking about NY, and the era, and the performers, and the plays and musicals, whereas the new generation folks are all talking about themselves - everything revolves around them.  Amanda Plummer isn't that way at all, and she's quite candid and refreshing.  BTW, her mother, Tammy Grimes, was in the main film briefly and I must say I was rather taken aback by how good she looked.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2004, 08:47:04 AM »

Oh, and MattH, as much as I disliked Broadway: The American Musical, I do believe that a) I said there were some good things in it, including a few clips, and b) that despite my dislike I recommended it to anyone with even a passing interest in the musical theater.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2004, 09:08:56 AM »

I was asked for my thoughts on Broadway: The American Musical by someone involved and here's what I wrote him:

It certainly had some clips I hadn't seen before, a handful of interesting interviews, some moving moments, and some glaring omissions.

What was obvious to me - and this may be true of many a documentary - is that they gave greater focus to whatever they had footage of.  Anyone telling the history of the American musical mentions the important Jerome Kern musicals known as The Princess Theatre Shows.  These had a huge influence on Rodgers & Hart and The Gershwins and were the most important step to writing shows about plain folks instead of exotic sheiks and such.  Broadway: The American Musical didn't mention them, and I can only assume it's because no film clips exist.

On the flip side, they spent a great deal of time on Porgy and Bess.  Now, I love Porgy and Bess as much as anyone, but I can't say it influenced other shows or was part of any tradition.  It's a rare work of individual genius - there's nothing remotely like it.  So, why did they spend so much time on it?  Well, they had vintage footage from the 1930s as well as recent interviews with the people who originated the roles of Porgy and Bess.  Loved seeing them, glad they're alive - but it got the show off the track.

I'm one who believes that everything great about musical theatre is exactly that which can't be seen on the screen.  It's about how the stars (Jolson, Cantor, Merman, Martin, Carol Channing or Jason Alexander) feed off of an audience's reaction, and then give back energy, a two-way street.  Once you put a camera in front of the footlights, the viewer's not reacting in any way the performer can feel...

Which leads to a lack of excitement.  I'm inevitably disappointed by anything I see on video as I know there's a fantastic connection that's being missed.

So, did the PBS series enthrall viewers and turn anybody who wasn't a musical theatre fan into a musical theatre fan?  I doubt it.  Like too many political documentaries (and I don't mean yours), it's preaching to the already converted.  And we love seeing footage of what are already our favorite shows.  It's an enjoyable thing for us, the converted, but it ain't nothing like the real thing.

So, those are some thoughts.  Thank you again, for letting us accompany you to that gala, and I thank you for whatever part you had in getting this show on PBS.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2004, 09:29:30 AM »

Hmmmmmm.....well, I don't know if this comes under the heading of chutzpah or hubris, but Kevin Spacey and an orchestra are going out on tour.  Spacey will be singing the songs of Bobby Darin.

The only opening act I think that can be considered is Patty Duke singing the songs of Judy Garland.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2004, 10:00:06 AM »

Congratulations to DRJOY !!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2004, 10:02:09 AM »

...and the second Bollywood movie is of a more recent vintage (2004) and continues my obsession interest in Hindu actor John Abraham. The film is PAAP and concerns a police detective protecting a 6 year old who is the only witness to the murder of another police officer.

Am in the middle of the film and it is also quite entertaining.

And let me be the first to say that any derogatory comments about this film (or its lovely leading man) will be committing a PAAP smear.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 10:12:28 AM by Stuart »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2004, 10:03:16 AM »

I believe that Rule No 1 in the bylaws here clearly states:

No groaning.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2004, 10:06:40 AM »

But I love them all (almost a Weird Romance reference).

Perhaps a partial WEIRD ROMANCE reference, but a full one for BRING BACK BIRDIE. ;)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2004, 10:08:35 AM »

Tonight is my first adjudication for Stars of Tomorrow's 04-05 season.  GODSPELL at Geneseo High School.

Tomorrow is the opening of Pittsford Musical's MAME. (Remember the Dear Partner is Lindsay)

Sunday I rest.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2004, 10:22:22 AM »

DRSTUART - maybe on Sunday, you should go see the Kevin Spacey Concert!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2004, 10:22:22 AM »

Sunday I rest.

Methinks your achievement of HHW God status has gone to your head, Dear Brother.

;)
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2004, 10:52:13 AM »

So let it be written - so let it be done!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2004, 11:11:13 AM »

We've just had one of those "Dang, we need verbal punctuation" moments.

Der Brucer was worried that he'd left his reading glasses at the restaurant we were at last night (Nage, very upscale but they had a fantastic three-course prix fix that we couldn't ignore).

Fortunately, he found them here in the house, and commented "I had that 'I knew I'd left them somewhere funny feeling.'"

Now, there's two ways of punctuating that.  He either could have meant "I had that 'I knew I'd left them 'somewhere funny' feeling,'" or "I had that 'I knew I'd left them somewhere funny-feeling.'"  Same sentence, two totally different meanings.

:-\ ::) ;)

(And trust me, getting the punctuation on that sentence correct, with either meaning, was a bitch!)

He could have done what my Shakespeare teacher of a few semesters ago did. He spoke his punctuation. He would have said, "I had that quotation mark I knew I'd left them somewhere funny quotation mark feeling." On second thought, he might not want to get in the habit of doing that.

And speaking of Shakespeare teachers, I just saw my current Shakespeare teacher riding bikes with his son. He recognized me, but couldn't seem to remember my name. I thought about telling him my name was Jessica, just for the heck of it, but I didn't.

Wasn't that a great story?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2004, 11:14:09 AM »

There's a sign on the door to the library that says that it opens at 12:01 a.m. and closes at midnight every night. Now what is the point of that?

We acted out more Alice scenes in my Children's Literature class again today. I was the White Knight Alice meets in the forest. I got to hold a plastic sword and fall off my imaginary horse. I wish I could do that for all my classes.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2004, 11:15:27 AM »

Must get ready to meet our Japanese lurker.  My test hardcover arrived and looks excellent.  But, to my surprise, my order also arrived, so I've got books in hand right now.  

Grant said to me (as we were doing the fourth set of fixes) "You never catch everything - there's always one or two that get away" and he was totally right.  I was going through the book trying to figure out what I'd do for the upcoming reading, and as I read aloud a passage I saw a weird spacing thing in one sentence - just a stupid-looking extra bit of space where there shouldn't be a space.  Oh, well, if that's the only thing we didn't catch I suppose we'll be fine.  At least it's not an incorrect character name (that was the case in the US Goblet of Fire Harry Potter book) or a mis-spelling (as in Agee's Death in the Family or Frazier's Cold Mountain).  

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2004, 11:30:33 AM »

Woody, I knew Maggie Raye quite well, having toured with her for six months in dinner theatre in an opus called EVERYBODY LOVES OPAL.  All I can say is if folks you knew were waiting for her to come out of the closet, I don't know what they were waiting for...

Every night after the show, Maggie insisted that her inner circle...most of the cast...gather at her apartment until she usually passed out.  Since I was travelling with Hotspur, my yorkie, she took a shine to me, and not only was I always invited, I always had to pick up Hotspur so he could play with her yorkie and poodle, Conky and Dickens.  She used to call me the Intellectual, because when she was my partner in password, I'd give her clues she didn't understand.  The ritual usually involved us playing games or watching old movies and Martha drinking straight vodka in a tall glass until she nodded off or tucked into bed.  She never drank before a show, it was always after, and she could pack it away.  She also liked me because I knew all about the films and stars of her era and when we watched the movies she would tell stories about them and her life.  

Though she travelled with a middle-aged English assistant/keeper/secretary who may or may not have been gay (I never got a vibe off her one way or another), Martha spoke about the men in her life and men in general fondly.  Often her ex-husband...number two or three out of like five, father of her only child and maybe her manager as well...Nick Condos would come in for a visit.  Though Martha at this point in her life was probably way past sex of any sort, mostly because of her drinking, I never got any indication from her that she was anything other than interested in men from a sexual point-of-view.  Nor did any of the other cast members who I knew and were closer to her than I ever suggest or hint at such a thing.  

She, of course, had a huge gay following and like most performers in show business had gay friends.  With her, I first saw Charles Pierce and met Rock Hudson who was a close friend of hers (and a very nice man).  

I think Martha's last marriage to an obviously gay man was an abberation of a woman who was ill, probably suffering from some form of alcohol dementia and diminshed capacity, and was looking for a caretaker at that point in her life.  In such a situation, opportunists circle.

Maggie could be a very difficult, exasperating woman.  But she could also be generous and kind and touching.  She was a trouper on stage and could wear a much younger person out with her energy.  And as you say, she was a more complex person than one might imagine at first glance.   I always loved to hear her sing and my fondest memories of her was when she would join some piano player in a bar and sing a number just for me.

One thing that I dislike about a portion of the gay community is that there are those in it...usually sad, unhappy individuals...who are always looking for company and try to insist certain individuals are gay or try to out people when they have absolutely no shred of evidence to support their claims or accusations.  Of course, if you are in show business, it is an occupational hazard.  At some time in your career you'll have the charge levelled at you.  I have heard it about almost every Hollywood star out here at one time or another.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2004, 11:43:21 AM »

...and the second Bollywood movie is of a more recent vintage (2004) and continues my obsession interest in Hindu actor John Abraham. The film is PAAP and concerns a police detective protecting a 6 year old who is the only witness to the murder of another police officer.

Would this be translated into English as a PAAP SMEAR?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2004, 12:04:29 PM »

And let me be the first to say that any derogatory comments about this film (or its lovely leading man) will be committing a PAAP smear.

DRStuart, you beat me to the punch!  Congratulations on a job well done.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2004, 12:12:05 PM »

Woody, I knew Maggie Raye quite well, having toured with her for six months in dinner theatre in an opus called EVERYBODY LOVES OPAL.  All I can say is if folks you knew were waiting for her to come out of the closet, I don't know what they were waiting for...

DRCharlesPogue, thank you!  One other great performer often accused of being gay because she was a tough broad was Ethel Merman.   Michael Reidel on his NY Theatre Show used to talk about Butch Ethel as if she were a big dyke, and I've heard from too many people who knew her, including her publicist during the 40s, 50s and 60s, that there was no truth to the rumor.  I once had lunch with Louis Botto, editor of PLAYBILL and Robert Ullman, one  of ther great Broadway publicists, and they had me rolling on the floor with outrageous Merman stories, and she was truly a character.  The amazing thing in this business often is the ones you think might be gay aren't and vice versa!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 12:12:37 PM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2004, 12:13:34 PM »

William Smith Page Two Dance!  ;D

I didn't recognize him with his clothes on.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2004, 12:25:20 PM »

A quick hello from the great white north of Canada.

Herewith Canadian Signage:

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2004, 12:28:07 PM »

GOOD ADVICE:

der Brucer (who's making a list!)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2004, 12:48:10 PM »

Amanda Plummer isn't that way at all, and she's quite candid and refreshing.  

She sure kept me gripping my seat during "Agnes of God". And I really like her brief appearance as Ellen James in "The World According to Garp". She was also appealing in "Miss Rose White", written by whatzername.

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2004, 12:55:45 PM »

Amanda Plummer isn't that way at all, and she's quite candid and refreshing.  

Amanda has been a friend since the early 1980s when she used to bring flowers to the clerks at The Drama Book Shop.  She mainly lives in LA now, and I miss seeing her around.  She's a genuinely kind and beautiful lady.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2004, 01:04:16 PM »

I saw Martha Raye as Miss Hannigan in ANNIE - she was wonderful.  She signed programs afterwards and had everyone laughing like crazy.  On the Judy Garland Show DVD - there is a wonderful set of out takes of Martha and Judy (in fact one extended out take was used in the broadcast) - and she shines.   Bravo, Martha!  There are more stories about her unfilmed and unheraled visits to soldiers than can be counted.  Bob Hope - it is said - wouldn't go unless there was a camera.   Bob is in a cemetery in San Fernando - Martha with the rank of Lt Colonel, the holder of a Green Beret, the recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom (the highest honor accorded to a civilian) is buried at FT Bragg.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up