Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: A CONVENTIONAL DITHER  (Read 23317 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:A CONVENTIONAL DITHER
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2004, 01:06:07 PM »

DRCP - Did Martha ever mention Frances Farmer?  They were in RHYTHM ON THE RANGE with Bing Crosby.

I am still laughing at a line delivery Martha made in that movie to Bob Burns, she looked at him and did a slight double take and said:  "No matter what anyone says, you keep wearing that suit!"
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2004, 01:11:48 PM »

Scott Lee Peterson: GUILTY of murder in the first degree of Laci Peterson.

GUILTY of murder in the second degree of Conner Peterson.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2004, 01:14:59 PM »

Martha Raye Page Three Dance!  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2004, 01:37:56 PM »

LOL DR White Knight Sandra!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2004, 01:44:41 PM »

My favourite Maggie Raye moment in film is when she kisses Lynn Overman in Big Broadcast of 1938 and he gasps, "Aaa!  I've been kissed by a tunnel!"  Don't remember any Frances Farmer stories.  I remember her telling me very adamantly that Carole Landis did not commit suicide over Rex Harrison as has long been rumoured.  Guess Maggie knew her pretty well from Four Jills and A Jeep.  Maggie also had gotten a puppy from a litter sired by Arno, Errol Flynn's beloved dog.  And she once spoke rather sweetly and touchingly about how she let David Rose...one of her many husbands... go, because she knew he was in love with Judy and wanted to marry her.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2004, 01:57:27 PM »

DRCP - Did Martha ever mention Frances Farmer?  They were in RHYTHM ON THE RANGE with Bing Crosby.

I am still laughing at a line delivery Martha made in that movie to Bob Burns, she looked at him and did a slight double take and said:  "No matter what anyone says, you keep wearing that suit!"

When I think of Martha, I think of her in BOYS FROM SYRACUSE, HELLZAPOPPIN and her fabulous Annabelle in MONSIEUR VERDOUX; Chaplin clearly wanted someone on his level to keep him on his toes.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2004, 02:00:50 PM »

Oh...my....that means Carole was murdered.  Whew!  Scary!  Jacqueline Susann always said the same thing.

And DR CP - your comment about Martha and David and Judy makes that Judy Garland Show even more special.  The ladies were having a ball!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 02:01:45 PM by JRand54 »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2004, 02:03:48 PM »

I met Martha ("Call me, Maggie, everybody does.") Raye back in the early 70s when I was living in Laguna Nigel.  At the time, she was quite a regular at a Laguna gay bar called The Little Shrimp. Drunk or sober, she was a delight.  Wait a minute I never saw her sober, but then I only saw her when she would come in to the bar late in the evening.  Sometimes she would sing something with the piano player, but usually she would just sit and chat with friends,  She was wonderful to anyone that would come over to meet her.  I never got the impression she was gay, but rather, she just loved the gay boys, because like all of her soldier boys in Viet Nam -- they never forgot her.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2004, 02:04:59 PM »

This book looks amusing for its cover alone, but the description at Amazon makes it sound like it could be interesting to read.

Caption for the picture:

"Which twin has the Toni perm?"
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2004, 02:16:34 PM »

...and the second Bollywood movie is of a more recent vintage (2004) and continues my obsession interest in Hindu actor John Abraham. The film is PAAP and concerns a police detective protecting a 6 year old who is the only witness to the murder of another police officer.

Am in the middle of the film and it is also quite entertaining.

It's amazing how a little makeup can make a six year old girl look at least a decade more mature.

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2004, 02:21:00 PM »

He could have done what my Shakespeare teacher of a few semesters ago did. He spoke his punctuation. He would have said, "I had that quotation mark I knew I'd left them somewhere funny quotation mark feeling." On second thought, he might not want to get in the habit of doing that.
Der Brucer is already in the habit of saying "...semi-colin however comma..."  That habit is part of how I learned to use a semi-colin correctly.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2004, 02:24:07 PM »

In my CD player at work:  Lorraine Feather's "Such Sweet Thunder."  Lorraine (who recorded "Not While I'm Around" for BK's "Sweeney Todd In Jazz") took the music of Duke Ellington and wrote new lyrics and recorded this CD.  She did the same thing earlier with Fats Waller's music on her CD called "New York City Drag."  Both recordings are wonderful and I highly recommend them!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2004, 02:33:46 PM »

Woody, I knew Maggie Raye quite well, having toured with her for six months in dinner theatre in an opus called EVERYBODY LOVES OPAL.  All I can say is if folks you knew were waiting for her to come out of the closet, I don't know what they were waiting for...I never got any indication from her that she was anything other than interested in men from a sexual point-of-view.  ...She, of course, had a huge gay following and like most performers in show business had gay friends....One thing that I dislike about a portion of the gay community is that there are those in it...who are always looking for company and try to insist certain individuals are gay or try to out people when they have absolutely no shred of evidence to support their claims or accusations.  Of course, if you are in show business, it is an occupational hazard.  At some time in your career you'll have the charge levelled at you.  I have heard it about almost every Hollywood star out here at one time or another.  
As TCB noted, she was fond of the Little Shrimp in Laguna, and the sponsor of her fave softball team was the Carriage Trade, another gay bar/restaurant.  I'm not surprised people have jumped to the wrong conclusions because of the company she kept.  But if she was happy with that company, more power to her.

Neither place is still running, by the way.  The Little Shrimp has changed hands a couple of times, and changed it's name, never to be the same.  Carriage Trade has disappeared entirely.  And der Brucer and I can walk into any restaurant together and be accepted, even if we are obviously a couple.  We're living in a different era.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2004, 02:45:37 PM »

We haven't put anything new on our shelves this week.  Just as well; we're running out of shelf space.   :-\

Time to start getting dinner ready.  I've got chicken thighs that need marinating in lemon, garlic and basil.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2004, 02:48:30 PM »

I'm back from a lovely early lunch with our Japanese lurker and her friend, also from Japan, who is traveling with her.  She was delightful, quite pretty, and did her best to understand what the HELL I was talking about.  I did get her to teach me how to say "What is it, fish?" in Japanese: Kono sakana wa nandesuka?  I made her promise to at least attempt to post when she gets back to Japan, late next week.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2004, 03:15:30 PM »

I'm back from a lovely early lunch with our Japanese lurker and her friend, also from Japan, who is traveling with her.  She was delightful, quite pretty, and did her best to understand what the HELL I was talking about.  I did get her to teach me how to say "What is it, fish?" in Japanese: Kono sakana wa nandesuka?  I made her promise to at least attempt to post when she gets back to Japan, late next week.

If our Japanese lurker hasn't posted yet,
 then who is Lachic that was here yesterday?

« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 03:16:09 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2004, 03:22:45 PM »

If our Japanese lurker hasn't posted yet,
 then who is Lachic that was here yesterday?

Hmmm...our plot doth thicken! :o
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2004, 03:37:37 PM »

The name of Frances' gift shop in Nashville Indiana was

Frances Farmer's Carriage Trade

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2004, 03:40:54 PM »

I'm not sure if lachic is she or not - but I'm thinking not unless she posed prior to leaving Japan - she told me she doesn't have a computer here.  I love a good mystery.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2004, 03:41:59 PM »

BK, I am well aware of the (few) positive things you had to say about BROADWAY: THE AMERICAN MUSICAL, but your discussions about it have been predominantly negative, and all I was/am trying to do is reiterate that as a documentary, it had a little something to offer most anyone interested in the field and for a novice to the subject but someone who cared about musical theater, is would have been an entertaining way to spend a few hours. No, no great revelations for we old school veterans of the Broadway wars, but certainly a documentary of some merit.

Today, I got BROADWAY: THE GOLDEN AGE, and watched it from first to last including the special features (which explains why I'm hours late logging onto this site today). Yes, it's wonderful, moving, VALUABLE as a source of opinion and fact about the theater. And the fact that it covers plays as well as musicals makes it quite different from the other documentary. I really liked it a lot.

But it did contain at least one error that I noticed - a subtitle on some street footage that read New York-1955 with THE MIRACLE WORKER marquee clearly in the shot. It wasn't on Broadway in 1955. And didn't you, bk, have trouble with the movie footage (STREETCAR, MEMBER OF THE WEDDING)contained in this documentary (I remember you loathed the movie footage in the other documentary)? And this even used a DAMN YANKEES trailer with VERY distracting sell blurbs along with the visuals.

So, it was a great documentary, but it wasn't perfect either. And I certainly agree that the upcoming documentary footage doesn't resonate like the footage in the other documentary.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2004, 03:42:09 PM »

At the time, she was quite a regular at a Laguna gay bar called The Little Shrimp.

Oh, Dear! I was a regular at the Little Shrimp in the 70's. Dear, TCB, maybe we know each other better than we think!
(I didn't have the beard back then.)

Remember Wayne and Brenda - and, or course, Rudi Delamore?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2004, 03:46:55 PM »

I wanted to comment on FOR THE BOYS, also. I like the film. I found it very moving despite, as earlier posters noted, terrible age make-up and a script that seemed tattered and patched together. But I think it's Bette's finest cinema performance. I liked it even more than her work in THE ROSE.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2004, 03:47:08 PM »

For our Nothern Friends:

The Golden Phone

An American decided to write a book about famous churches around the world.  For his first chapter he decided to write about American churches. So he bought a plane ticket and took a trip to Orlando thinking that he would work his way across the country from south to north.  On his first day, he was inside a church taking photographs when he noticed a golden telephone mounted on the wall with a sign that read $10,000 per call.

The American, being intrigued, asked a priest who was strolling by what the telephone was used for. The priest replied that it was a direct line to heaven and that for $10,000 you could talk to God.  The American thanked the priest and went along his way.

Next stop was in Atlanta. There, at a very large cathedral, he saw the same golden telephone with the same sign under it.  He wondered if this was the same kind of telephone he saw in Orlando and he asked a nearby nun what its purpose was.  She told him that it was a direct line to heaven and that for $10,000 he could talk to God. "O.K., thank you," said the American.

He then traveled to Indianapolis, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Boston, and New York. In every church he saw the same golden telephone with the same $10,000 per call sign under it.  The American, upon leaving Vermont saw a sign for Canada and decided to see if Canadians had the same phone.

He arrived in Edmonton, and again, there was the same golden telephone but this time the sign under it read "10 cents per call."  The American was surprised so he asked the priest about the sign. "Father, I've traveled all over America and I've seen this same  golden telephone in many churches.  I'm told that it is a direct line to Heaven but in every state the price was $10,000 per call. Why is it so cheap here?"

The priest smiled and answered, "You're in Canada now son, it's a local call."

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2004, 04:02:43 PM »

I wanted to comment on FOR THE BOYS, also. I like the film. I found it very moving despite, as earlier posters noted, terrible age make-up and a script that seemed tattered and patched together. But I think it's Bette's finest cinema performance. I liked it even more than her work in THE ROSE.

I agree completely, MattH.  I also felt that, unlike her work in THE ROSE, which I loved, I could easily sit through FOR THE BOYS again and again.  One time through THE ROSE, no matter how well done, was all that I could take.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2004, 04:11:07 PM »

That last post probably sounded very strange.  There are certain films that I have thought were wonderful films and very powerful films, that I am very glad that I had a chance to see.  At the same time, I would never want to subject myself to all of those emotions a second time.  I felt that way about MIDNIGHT COWBOY and I felt that way about THE ROSE, and a few other films.  Thank you very much for making those films, just don't make me sit through them again.  
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2004, 04:19:15 PM »

A strange sounding post from TCB. No way!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2004, 04:23:50 PM »

I wonder if Nilsson ever sang "The Rose" or Midler "Everybody's Talkin' ". That might be a strange sound or two.
It's morning here - Saturday.  Just to let you know what is happening on the far side of the planet. It's raining.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2004, 04:24:49 PM »

I agree with you, DR TCB. I would not want to sit through THE ROSE again. Or THE EXORCIST or BLACK HAWK DOWN.

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2004, 04:26:20 PM »

It's been a gorgeous week here in the Carolinas until today when the heavens opened, and it's rained, rained, rained: sometimes downpours, sometimes sprinkles, but consistent moisture all day long. And just cold enough to make the rain miserable.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2004, 04:40:27 PM »

Congratulations to Joy on a successful show.  Noel, sorry you can’t visit her.

Tomovoz your visit to the Pacific Northwest just might tempt a few others to come out this way.  :D The photo is beautiful, thank you.

Zeus is one lucky dog!  

MBarnum I ordered YAHUDI from NetFlix.  It will be awhile before it arrives as it is now 11th in our queue.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up