Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: A CONVENTIONAL DITHER  (Read 23388 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:A CONVENTIONAL DITHER
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2004, 04:44:29 PM »

Methinks your achievement of HHW God status has gone to your head, Dear Brother.

;)

Then shouldn't he rest on Saturday?

Jane

« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2004, 04:52:40 PM »

There's a sign on the door to the library that says that it opens at 12:01 a.m. and closes at midnight every night. Now what is the point of that?

LOL  ;D

Tomovoz

« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2004, 05:01:31 PM »

Thank you Jane.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2004, 05:01:39 PM »

I great, but painful to watch, movie I wouldn’t want to sit through again is THE PAWNBROKER .

DVD-THE FAST RUNNER, a 2000 Cannes Film Festival winner about two Inuit brothers.

TIVO-I’m tired after a day of errands and don’t remember.  Last night we watched LOST.

CD player is off and I have the radio on.

Jane

« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2004, 05:02:31 PM »

Tomovoz I wish I were there now strolling along those beautiful streets

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2004, 05:03:41 PM »

I didn't love the movie clips, although I understood their use here a bit better than the other documentary.  And actually, one of my favorite things in the whole show was the screen test of Laurette Taylor.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2004, 05:17:36 PM »

TOD
[/b]

DVD:  The Best of Abbott and Costello, Volume 3 (in particular, GO TO MARS and MEET THE KILLER, BORIS KARLOFF)

CD Player:  I would like to be able to say NUNCRACKERS, but no, it would still be SCROOGE, THE MUSICAL.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2004, 05:19:25 PM »

Okay, help is needed.  I just called the Doubletree reservation line and I'm being told that the best price room I can get is 459.00 a night which, of course, is balderdash.  Anyone have any ideas?  I like to be in Times Square, preferably in a little suite like the Doubletree has.  I know when I was in town a year and a half ago, there was that new hotel on 42nd St. near 8th, and they couldn't even give rooms away.  Anyone know about that one?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2004, 05:21:26 PM »

Congratulations to Joy on a successful show.  Noel, sorry you can’t visit her.

Tomovoz your visit to the Pacific Northwest just might tempt a few others to come out this way.  :D The photo is beautiful, thank you.

Jane -- Do you mean to say that a visit from Tomovoz is more fasinating than the fabulous group we already have living here???
“One thing’s universal,

MBarnum

« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2004, 05:22:23 PM »

MBarnum I ordered YAHUDI from NetFlix.  It will be awhile before it arrives as it is now 11th in our queue.

Oh Hurray! DR Jane is going to explore the joy that is Bollywood! Well you will be in for a nice surprise...or a huge shock...I don't know which! LOL! But I do hope you enjoy it.

Tomovoz

« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2004, 05:26:54 PM »

Jane just has an interest in linguistics and accents.

Not much hope of me singing "Never Will I Merry" though.  Or was it "Never Will I Mary".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2004, 05:27:03 PM »

Do you mean the Westin New York at Times Square, I think that is at 43rd and 8th?

« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 05:27:29 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2004, 05:30:06 PM »

Not much hope of me singing "Never Will I Merry" though.  Or was it "Never Will I Mary".

......and a Marry Christmas to you, Tomovoz!
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2004, 05:31:24 PM »

Or "Never will I, Mary"
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2004, 05:35:01 PM »

Or the Hilton Times Square?
[/b]
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2004, 05:38:11 PM »

I'm going to watch THE PENGUIN POOL MURDER again, for Edna May Oliver's great line to her schoolchildren, "well, children, why don't you do something! Don't just stand there like a lot of grownups!"

I just watched the most beutiful opera performance on DVD, Verdi's comic masterpiece FALSTAFF conducted by Ricardo Muti and performed at the 326-seat  Opera House in Busseto, Verdi's hometown.  Young tenor Juan Diego Florez is truly one handsome juvenile, and Inva Mula, his romantic partner, has one of the loveliest light soprano voices I've heard.  The production was quite beautful, based on the 1913 performances conducted by Toscanini for Verdi's 100th annniversary.
It amazes me still that an 80-year-old composer could write such a masterpiece of wit and beauty!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2004, 05:39:17 PM »

Or "Never will I, Mary"
I think Mary knows that already Elmore. That's why she is not Merry.
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2004, 06:02:17 PM »

Well - MRBK just a cursory glance at some hotels shows not many rooms available anywhere - IF you like the hotel - if it is where you want to be - why take a chance on spoiling your time in the BIG APPLE?

If you don't have a travel agent you trust, and if you don't get a PERSONAL recommendation for a hotel, I say "pay the two dollars!"
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2004, 06:02:38 PM »

Since it's a business trip, isn't it deductible?  And at the end of the year, too!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 06:02:51 PM by JRand54 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2004, 06:33:03 PM »

Okay, help is needed.  I just called the Doubletree reservation line and I'm being told that the best price room I can get is 459.00 a night which, of course, is balderdash.  Anyone have any ideas?  I like to be in Times Square, preferably in a little suite like the Doubletree has.  I know when I was in town a year and a half ago, there was that new hotel on 42nd St. near 8th, and they couldn't even give rooms away.  Anyone know about that one?

Have you checked out the discount sites on-line?  We rarely book directly through a hotel.  You might also find a better deal if you call the hotel directly instead of going through their main reservation line.

It may be very nice inside the Doubletree, but just walking past the hotel and spending more than a few minutes in the area I was so glad they were booked when I made my reservations.

Jane

« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2004, 06:38:16 PM »

MBarnum the story sounds interesting.  As I said it will be awhile before it arrives.  Oh, I passed your brother on my way home yesterday.  He was driving in the opposite direction but we waved.

Jane

« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2004, 06:39:43 PM »

TCB, Tomovoz is correct-it’s the accent.  I enjoy repeating “what did you say?” over and over.

What I do mean is Tomovoz’s visit just might entice a couple of east coasters to come our way. :D

Ginny

« Reply #112 on: November 12, 2004, 06:45:14 PM »

Friday media update:

CD (car):  Hairspray cast recording - one of the three shows I saw last month when in NY.  The others were The Producers and Brooke Shields in Wonderful Town.

DVD:  Old Masterpiece Theatre series, To Serve Them All my Days.  My husband, Richard, likes the curmudgeonly teacher and I like the headmaster's wife who grumps about making tea!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Tomovoz

« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2004, 06:49:32 PM »

DR Ginny:  "To Serve Them All My Days" is a favourite in this house.. (and not because I was teacher).
Great adaption of Delderfield's book.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2004, 06:50:46 PM »

What are the online discount sites?

Also, I called my friend's daughter who works at the Renaissance, and she's going to try and get me something good in one of their hotels in NY.  One way or another.  My flight, however, is booked.  How exciting.

Jane

« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2004, 07:12:00 PM »

expedia.com
hotels.com (Keith doesn't care for this one)
orbitz.com
hotwire.com

Check them all out because one might have a special that other's don't have.

You didn't say if you called the hotel directly.  You might have but at this hour got transferred to their main reservation line and not known it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2004, 07:16:46 PM »

What I do mean is Tomovoz’s visit just might entice a couple of east coasters to come our way. :D

Yep, Nurse Jane, it just might . . .

Jane

« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2004, 07:23:07 PM »

:D

Jane

« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2004, 07:31:02 PM »

Bruce you might also try the hotel site.

If you want the best price and are willing to stay anywhere in a given area try priceline.com
Before bidding on priceline check out biddingfortravel.com

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2004, 08:00:12 PM »

It may be very nice inside the Doubletree, but just walking past the hotel and spending more than a few minutes in the area I was so glad they were booked when I made my reservations.

And, you'll remember, DR Jane, I approved of your choice.

But I loathe Times Square.  The only part of New York I hate being in (and I've been throughout the South Bronx.)  Always an unpleasant experience.

But BK likes it.  Which is what makes horse-racing.  One man's thoroughbred is another man's manure, as the French say.

So, a hotel near 42nd and 8th.  I hope you mean the Hilton, which has those fun sculptures we now have on the islands of Broadway (Otterness?  Something like that.)  The lobby is rather thin.  As a New Yorker, I can't really know what it's like to stay in the town's hotels, but, as pieces of architecture, well...

I hope you don't mean the Westin, which occupies the northeast corner of 42nd & 8th, and has its entrance on 43rd.  There's no doubt that this is the ugliest building built in New York in the past 15-20 years.  It looks as if the architect's kindergartner drew a building with crayons and the architect said "I can do better than this" and failed.  The so-called "clean-up" of Times Square has made it an uglier place, but new and large buildings make for a world of possibilities.  The Westin squanders these with silliness.

Can someone post pictures?  You'll all recoil!
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up