Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TRIPLE LUTZ  (Read 18325 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE TRIPLE LUTZ
« on: November 14, 2004, 11:58:59 PM »

Well, you've read the notes whilst doing a triple lutz, you've sent the notes to the accounting firm of Lutz, Lutz and Carr (a double Lutz and a Carr), and now you are ready to post until the lutzing cows come home.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 12:11:40 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE TRIPLE LUTZ
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 12:05:46 AM »

And a happy haineshisway.com birthday to ladodgerjon, wherever he may be.

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 12:16:35 AM »

Books: Graham Green and John Le Carré have written some great books with a political background.
Play:  "Savages" is the first that comes to mind.
Film" All The President's Men" for starters.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 12:50:43 AM »

Political movies:
"The Manchurian Candidate"
"The Mouse That Roared"
"The Contender"

As for political musicals:
Call Me Madam
Evita (this is stretching it a bit, I'm sure)
The Fix
Strike Up the Band and Let 'Em Eat Cake
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 02:19:18 AM »

Books, all non-fiction:

Party Crasher, by Richard Tafel
House and Home, by Steve Gunderson and Rob Morris
Conduct Unbecoming, by Randy Shilts
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ben

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 05:46:32 AM »

I wasn't around all weekend so I had a lot of catching up to do.

I am now all caught up.

Dan-the-Man, thanks for the CD. It arrived on Saturday (the book is fine by me). Thanks for the special surprise CDs also. I tried to PM you but it wouldn't go through. I got an error message so you shall be thanked publicly.

You are a peach (or a pear or a nectarine or whatever you want to be).

td

• td
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 06:13:00 AM »

THE PARALLAX VIEW
ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN
THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE
STATE OF THE UNION
JFK
MR SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 06:18:24 AM »

Good morning, all!  I've got errands to run, then the dress rehearsal of TANNHAUSER at the Met, so I'll be out most of the day.

TOD:  I know I'll forget something I like, but here goes:

BOOKS:  All the President's Men
            The Abbess of Crewe
            Alison Weir's serties on the Tudors:  Children of Henry VIII, Wives of Henry VIII, the life of Elizabeth I
            Anotnia Frazer's bio of Marie Antoinette

FILM:    The Manchurian Candidate
           Nasty Habits
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 06:31:57 AM »

It took long enough, a little over a year, but we've at last got a disc player in my room .

Back in Long Beach, I'd been using a discman with a headset for any music listening I wanted to do.  However, as they have a habit of doing, the discman wore out shortly before the move, and there was little if any sense to getting a new discman until after the move because I simply didn't need one.  (The car der B drove eastward had a CD player installed, which kept us aurally amused.)

Upon arriving at our new home, there wasn't any real need for me to get a new CD player right away.  We had the main entertainment system to play in the living room.  I did get myself a pair of earphones, so I could listen to either music or DVDs while der B slept down the hall, but this proved awkward.  After a while, I stopped listening to music.

And so things went, until der B spotted a walkman on sale at WalMart, and since it came with a tape deck connection he decided it would be good to have with us in the car, for longer trips.  And so it has.  But listening to music in the car got me missing having music in my room.

That was resolved this weekend, when der B spotted a combination radio/CD player that could work on either batteries or house power, and had a jack for the headset.  All I'd have to do is clear off some space on my desk, and I'd have music again.  Plus, since it can work on batteries, we can loan it to his daughter for when she organizes hayrides for the local kids, something for which she's wanted to have music.

I finally got around to hooking things up this morning.  The sound over the headset works just fine.  (DR Elmore, you'll be glad to know that one of the first pieces I played was the title track from Luker's Anything Goes disc.  Nicely done!)  Then, I tried out the system's speakers.  Buster, who has grown a bit since he rode cross-continent in my lap a year ago, perked up his ears, listening carefully.  He got up, and since my bed is level with the desk he was able to sniff at the speakers.  He wasn't sure what he was hearing, but pretty soon he was sitting back, cocking he head and wagging his tail.

A minor home improvement, but a good one.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ben

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 06:34:13 AM »

Congratulations to our own DB (that's Dear Broadcaster, a new term I just made up) Donald for completing the scuba diving course and becoming a Certified SCUBA (Self-Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus) Diver!

I'll mix my list.

All the President's Men
Manchurian Candidate

and in a very broad sense

Pacific Overtures - it's about the political machinations of the opening of Japan to the rest of the world. I'm listening to the opening number on Donald's show right now and it reminds me how political the entire process was and there is the wonderful Gilbert and Sullivan take-off, Please Hello, with entitites from each government asking for special favors from the Japanese government and promising things in return for those favors.

Back to work now.

Listen to Donald's show. It's wonderful (as always).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 06:42:49 AM by Ben »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2004, 06:34:14 AM »

Has Democracy opened yet on Broadway?  Has anyone seen it?

Copenhagen isn't really about politics, but politics is involved.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2004, 06:41:33 AM »

No, Democracy hasn't opened yet. It has started previews and opens this Thursday, Novmeber 18th.

I have to admit that Copenhagen set me to nodding off quite a few times. I have friends who loved it and found the whole thing fascinating but my view was "if they tell that story one more fershulganah time, I'm gonna run up on stage and pull the plugs on those lights" Every two minutes it was "let's go over this again and see what we missed." NO, You've done it 6 million times already and couldn't figure it out!!!" It was all a huge bore to me, which is why I never listened to or purchased the CD set.

Proof, which was in the same season, was a much more exciting and wonderful piece. I was taken with it almost from the minute we sat down in the Walter Kerr Theatre. The performances, the script and even the set all came together to give me a great night in the theatre, so much so that I saw the show two more times.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 06:41:52 AM by Ben »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2004, 07:19:54 AM »

(DR Elmore, you'll be glad to know that one of the first pieces I played was the title track from Luker's Anything Goes disc.  Nicely done!)

DRSWW, thanks for your kind words.  My memory is that whole time travel idea was Mr Kimmel's.  I had earlier worked on a Rodgers & Hart recording with Dawn Upshaw and one chart had a similar idea involving the song "Manhattan," (not by me but by another arranger and orchestrator) but it turned out not so good, and it didn't make the recording.

DRBen, how could I have forgotten PACIFIC OVERTURES or ASSASSINS?  I know! they weren't books or films and that's all I was thinking of.  How did DRGeorge who seems to worship at the Sondheim altar overlook them?  And so, off to the Met.  I hope I stay awake.  TANNHAUSER's got beautiful melodies, but it's long!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 07:21:12 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2004, 07:43:11 AM »

You are a peach (or a pear or a nectarine or whatever you want to be).

:)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2004, 07:53:08 AM »

Favorite political film besides THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE is ADVISE AND CONSENT. I just adore that movie and can't wait until it comes to DVD in a proper widescreen version.

Political musical favorites: 1776, ASSASSINS.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2004, 07:54:09 AM »

Today, according to Playbill On-Line's "Today in Theatre History" is the 48th anniversary of the opening of one of MR BK's favorite shows, Li'l Abner:

1956 Dogpatch comes to life as Li'l Abner is staged at the St. James Theatre. Melvin Frank and Norman Panama adapted the Al Capp comic-strip, with songs by Johnny Mercer and Gene dePaul. The cast includes Tina Louise and Stubby Kaye dancing to Michael Kidd choreography.

There is certainly a strain of politics in Li'l Abner
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 08:12:39 AM by Ben »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2004, 07:54:51 AM »

And of coursae those BBC produced miniseries which were all masterful dramas: ELIZABETH R, THE SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII, and I, CLAUDIUS.

Those DVD boxed sets, especially the former and the latter, are among my most watched DVDs. I'm sure I've seen ELIZABETH R and I, CLAUDIUS at least 20 times each. Glenda Jackson and Derek Jacobi will never be surpassed.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 07:56:13 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2004, 08:29:17 AM »

I will agree with DRMATTH -

Movies:

THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE and ADVISE AND CONSENT.

Plays:
THE BEST MAN and VISITOR TO A SMALL PLANET (but not the movie version)

Books, hmmmmmmm.......will have to think - and you know how long that will take.

Glad you got the emails, MRBK...how strange they ALSO came back to me, so I don't know how many you got three or four - BUT all is well.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2004, 08:31:19 AM »

LIL ABNER is tops for political satire, although I seem to remember Gale Gordon in a Jerry Lewis comedy with the appropriate name of Senator Mandible.

WILD IN THE STREETS was also political in an LSD kind of way.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2004, 08:52:00 AM »

Good morning.  I slept very well and now I am up at at 'em.  I shall start putting books in envelopes very soon.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2004, 09:00:20 AM »

Yes, 1776 and ADVISE AND CONSENT are two very good suggestions.  Also, to some degree, I would include SHENANDOAH.  Not the greatest musical (or movie), certainly, but certainly a fine one about a family torn asunder by the War Between the States.

ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN is a fine politically charged movie.  As is ALL THE KING's MEN.  STATE OF THE UNION.  WAG THE DOG.  And for fun DAVE. (OK, so it's not that political...)  THE BEST MAN.  SUNRISE AT CAMPOBELLO.  NOt all favorites, but certainly politics plays a part in all of them.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2004, 09:01:08 AM »

And I meant to mention FINIAN'S RAINBOW.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2004, 09:17:35 AM »

films: Seven Days In May
Sleeper
Duck Soup

plays:
Beckett
The Royal Hunt of the Sun
Night and Day

musicals:
The Mikado
Finian's Rainbow
Li'l Abner

non-fiction books:
Naming Names
The Repbulic (Plato)
the Barbara Tuchman one about World War One

Years before Assassins, Tony Kushner's The Age of Assassins showed five assassinations in different theatrical styles.  I contributed a song to the French one, La Ravachole.  Czolgoz and Emma Goldman were depicted, and you left, exhilerated, with a detailed understanding of the politics of every murderer.

After seeing the Sondheim musical, I felt that I'd understood only John Wilkes Booth.  The politics of all the other characters was (conveniently?) left out.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2004, 09:21:08 AM »

Good morning all.  I guess I missed all the book excitement yesterday.  I just checked out the website briefly.  But will check it out more later.

Question.  Is the book the same price to ship to Canada.  And can you ship it marked GIFT, so it doesn't get stuck at customs?

This might sound funny, but I haven't used paypal in so long, I hope I can remember the email address and password I used.

Jennifer

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2004, 09:23:37 AM »

I watched some movies this weekend.  RAISING HELEN. I liked it.  BIG FISH.  The beginning was too slow.  But the second half was much better.  CALENDAR GIRLS.  I actually really enjoyed this.  It's funny and charming.  I'm half way through SECRETARY.  Not sure what to make of it.  But I love James Spader.

Still sick. :(

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2004, 09:32:51 AM »

Yes, the shipping cost is the same to anywhere.  I always mark overseas packages "gift" so no worries there.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2004, 09:42:43 AM »

Yes, the shipping cost is the same to anywhere.  I always mark overseas packages "gift" so no worries there.

Careful if you're sending to Germany.  A friend of mine had a package so-marked returned because Gift means "poison" in German.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2004, 09:46:08 AM »

How did DRGeorge who seems to worship at the Sondheim altar overlook them?

Because I wrote my last post at almost 1:00 in the morning and had been awake since 7:30 in the morning (I couldn't go back to sleep) and I had been listening to nothing but P.D.Q. Bach for at least two hours earlier in the evening (recording the BOTM's vinyl record "P.D.Q. Bach Strikes Back" to make a CD).  In other words (a Guys and Dolls reference), I was distracted! ::)  So, definitely add Pacific Overtures and Assassins to my list!!  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2004, 09:59:05 AM »

Interesting news for fans of Japanese sci-fi...Media Blasters is releasing the following films on DVD in both English and Japanese language!!! THE MYSTERIANS, VARAN THE UNBELIEVABLE, DOGORA THE SPACE MONSTER, ATTACK OF THE MUSHROOM PEOPLE and YOG MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE!

Coming to a video store near you on January 25th!!

I have not seen Dogora or Yog since I was a kid!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2004, 10:03:16 AM »

I hope they're great transfers.  Love The Mysterians.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up