Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TRIPLE LUTZ  (Read 18102 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:THE TRIPLE LUTZ
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2004, 10:04:11 AM »

First, A DAILY LEVITY

This is a detective story ..

So Pay Close Attention!!!

Three elderly ladies are excited about seeing their first baseball  game.

They smuggle a bottle of Jack Daniels’ into the ball park.

The game is real exciting and they are enjoying themselves immensely...  mixing the Jack Daniel's with soft drinks. (One hopes Diet Coke)

Soon they realize that the bottle is almost gone
and the game has a lot of innings to go.

Based on the given information, what inning is it
and how many players are on base?

Think!

Think some  more!!

You're gonna love  it ...

Answer:  

It's the bottom of the fifth
and the bags are loaded!

der Brucer (my California widow strikes again)

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2004, 10:34:52 AM »

TOD:

Broadly interpreting "politically oriented", the following, not yet mentioned, come to mind:

Murder in the Cathedral
A Man for All Seasons
Lion In Winter
A Walk in the Woods

Lawrence of Arabia
Exodus
The Killing Fields
Atlas Shrugged
Seven Days in May

der Brucer

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2004, 10:37:44 AM »

(recording the BOTM's vinyl record "P.D.Q. Bach Strikes Back" to make a CD).  

BOTM.....CD... Really, DR George!  I thought we left such descriptions to other sites on this here internet!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2004, 10:48:55 AM »

Speaking of Jose...

"It's sumptuous, decadent, addictive, even sexy..."

No not his date, not his keyboard, his nosh!

(Extract from a News Report):

Hottest Chocolates Have Sugar and Spice
Monday, November 15, 2004
By Catherine Donaldson-Evans

NEW YORK — It's sumptuous, decadent, addictive, even sexy — and this year, chocolate is also spicy.

In the world of cacao bean creations, this year's hot tamale is a blend of rich chocolate and a hint of spices like chili pepper, curry and cardamom.
Such tantalizing concoctions were featured prominently at the 7th annual Chocolate Show in New York City this past weekend.

"The new trend is spices and herbs in chocolate — like cayenne pepper and jasmine," said Avishan Amanat, a manager at a professional tasting lab called The Institute for Sensory Research .

In fact, chocolate has come full circle and returned to its roots, said pastry chef Brian M. Donaghy. The earliest chocoholics in Mayan cultures, Mexico and other parts of Latin America consumed the treat in thick, liquid form, without sugar and often with spices added.

"Spices in chocolate is a natural progression," said Donaghy, of Albert Uster Imports, which distributes spice-laden Laderach truffles from Switzerland. "There's a real fusion these days of savory and sweet."
The Laderach truffle "spice collection" features heavenly chocolate creations infused with paprika, allspice, ginger, cardamom, chili, curry, cinnamon and nutmeg — adding a surprising zing to a familiar favorite.

"I like it!" exclaimed one Chocolate Show guest, who lingered over the curry-laden liquid chocolate samples at the Laderach booth.

Another company, Blackflower Chocolate , makes truffles with chili pepper and vanilla bean; curry, saffron and coconut; and fresh basil and rosemary.
"It changes people's perception of what chocolate is," said Blackflower owner Cheryl Robbins-Dooley. "It's a food, not a candy. I like blending it with herbs and spices because these are foods."

Robbins-Dooley even creates pieces with Camembert and goat cheese. Cheese … in chocolate?

"They're delicious," she said. "Chocolate and cheese are fabulous."

Also hot this year are organic, healthy, kosher and vegan versions of the tempting treat. Companies like Gary Null make chocolate bars packed with everything from soy protein and organic raw cane sugar to broccoli, Aloe Vera and kale.

And no matter what the new trends are, chocolate will always have a raw, mystical, universal appeal — especially during the holiday season. In the U.S. alone, Americans consume an average of 10 pounds of chocolate a year, according to the Chocolate Manufacturers Association.

"Chocolate is visceral," said Donaghy. "People get really excited about it."

Ten pounds a year - do your share!

der Brucer (hoping this prompts some yummy Ads by Google)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2004, 10:56:46 AM »

Regarding our topic o' the day:

[size=8][move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Wintergreen for President!!![/move][/size]
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jennifer

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2004, 10:57:34 AM »

Hmmm, well it only took 3 tries to remember my paypal password.  Oy! :)

And re: marking GIFT on packages to Canada.

I have no idea if it's only strict in Quebec (as opposed to the rest of Canada).  But it amazes me how crazy the customs people are here.  Yet you could send ANY AMOUNT of product to the US, and not have problems.

I hope my order went through.

Jason

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2004, 11:01:59 AM »

Shh...I'm sneaking online.

I hate this job. I hate the people I have to deal with on a daily basis - namely the hateful, hateful teachers who call and get really pushy, not realizing they're dealing with a burnt-out New Yorker who'll push right back. And I have to work AIDA tonight.

Can you tell I'm in a peachy mood?

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2004, 11:02:07 AM »

Ah, how I miss President Wintergreen!  But whenever I hear that song, I harken back to a college production at Caltech, where the rehearsal pianist kept insisting to the chorus that that last note on "loves the Irish and..." was a quarter-note:  "Don't hold 'the Jews'!"
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jason

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2004, 11:04:19 AM »

She's the illegitimate daughter of the illegitimate son of the illegitimate daughter of Napoleon!

I did that show in grad school. I was the Ambassador from France.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2004, 11:04:36 AM »

Congratualations, Jason!  In only--what?--three short years, you've gone from "Kid from Midwest/ Actor and singer/ Genius type..." to "Burnt-out New Yorker."  That took some of us at least a decade.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2004, 11:05:55 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, at least I made it out of bed before 3:00pm today!  Whoopee!!

:P

As for topic of the day, the only two titles that come to mind are 1776 and Assassins.

I know I know some other titles, but I need to wake up a bit more...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2004, 11:08:18 AM »

Congratualations, Jason!  In only--what?--three short years, you've gone from "Kid from Midwest/ Actor and singer/ Genius type..." to "Burnt-out New Yorker."  That took some of us at least a decade.

Some of us came here as hostile burnt-out New Yorkers!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2004, 11:15:36 AM »

Well, TANNHAUSER is one long opera!  The first act was 70 minutes, but seemed like 140.  Because of the nature of my surgery, I was quite uncomfortable, in a great deal of pain, and when I realized there were two acts to go, probably until around 4 this afternoon by my reckoning, I left.  Beautiful production, the boy soprano sing the Shepherd was great, as were the mezzo doing Venus, Peter Seiffert as Tannhauser, and Thomas Hampson as Wolfram.  Some of the music is so glorious, especially the ballet, but Wagner needed to write "edit" a thousand times on the blackboard to remind himself that some of us find him in desperate need of it.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2004, 11:17:07 AM »

Speaking of Jose...

"It's sumptuous, decadent, addictive, even sexy..."

We almost went to the Chocolate Show while we were in NYC last week.  For a $21.00 admission ticket, you got all the chocolate you could eat!  Alas, we decided to spend our day not walking around an exhibition hall.  But the temptation was definitely there.  -And the owner of the "For the Love of Chocolate" here in Richmond was also up there last week too, so...  In any case...

Dagoba makes a line of chocolate bars, and they have an Aztec inspired bar that packs a nice little bite from chiles.  There are also some other lines out there that I've tried: curry and coconut, black pepper, ginger and lemongrass, etc.  I like the "savory" chocolates, but I still prefer the "sweet" varieties for everyday knoshing.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2004, 11:18:55 AM »

Jennifer: Got your order and book will go out today.

Jason

« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2004, 11:24:53 AM »

"Actor and Singer/Genius type" is debatable - right now I feel that I am neither an actor/singer nor am I a genius, but I appreciate the compliment.

Elmore: I don't blame you for getting up and leaving TANNHAUSER - surgery or no surgery.  Wagner and Verdi needed editors.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 11:44:31 AM by Jason »

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2004, 11:27:12 AM »

I am sooooo bored at work today...I am really missing the luxury of my 4 day weekend that I just had!

Ginny

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2004, 11:30:58 AM »

BK - Did my book order arrive in time for it to be shipped today?

TOD - Movie:  The American President; TV series The West Wing; Books:  Personal History, by Katharine Graham, The Roosevelt Women, by Betty Boyd Caroli, and Mrs. Ike, by Susan Eisenhower; Musical:  1776

Elmore - I went to a new coffee shop on Central Ave. today and one of  your "favorite" actresses was there - fortunately, she didn't recognize me!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2004, 11:31:59 AM »

Well, TANNHAUSER is one long opera!  The first act was 70 minutes, but seemed like 140.  Because of the nature of my surgery, I was quite uncomfortable, in a great deal of pain, and when I realized there were two acts to go, probably until around 4 this afternoon by my reckoning, I left.  Beautiful production, the boy soprano sing the Shepherd was great, as were the mezzo doing Venus, Peter Seiffert as Tannhauser, and Thomas Hampson as Wolfram.  Some of the music is so glorious, especially the ballet, but Wagner needed to write "edit" a thousand times on the blackboard to remind himself that some of us find him in desperate need of it.  

When I was aggressively building up my CD collection a couple of years ago, I stocked up on all the repertoire staples including operas by Puccini, Bellini, Verdi, Wager, etc.  Well...  I have the complete Solti "Ring Cycle" as well as "Lohengrin" with Domingo, Tannhauser, etc...  And, wouldn't you know, I've never listened to any of the Wagner operas all the way through.  Excerpts, yes. Whole acts, yes.  But a whole opera, no.  I just can't fathom sitting down for three hours at a time...

-How long have I been on-line today? ;)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 11:37:36 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2004, 11:40:10 AM »

We almost went to the Chocolate Show while we were in NYC last week.  For a $21.00 admission ticket, you got all the chocolate you could eat!  Alas, we decided to spend our day not walking around an exhibition hall.  But the temptation was definitely there.  -And the owner of the "For the Love of Chocolate" here in Richmond was also up there last week too, so...  In any case...

Dagoba makes a line of chocolate bars, and they have an Aztec inspired bar that packs a nice little bite from chiles.  There are also some other lines out there that I've tried: curry and coconut, black pepper, ginger and lemongrass, etc.  I like the "savory" chocolates, but I still prefer the "sweet" varieties for everyday knoshing.

It is good I was not with you. I would have eaten enough to send me into some kind of chocolate coma. I have NO resistence to chocolate.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2004, 11:47:02 AM »

DRSTUART - how could I forget ALL THE KINGS MEN?  Wonderful novel and film!

Smile, DRJASON!  and Happy Birthday, DRladodger!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2004, 12:17:21 PM »

A great big THANK YOU to DR Jane for the beautiful pictures she emailed to me and allowed me to use in my slide show yesterday and next Sunday. The folks loved them!

And it's nice to see DR Jason back, even if he is having a tough day! ~~~~~~~~~~~
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2004, 12:19:29 PM »

I'm gonna go ahead and bundle myself up and go for a walk.  Of course, I should be cleaning my bathroom and kitchen, but at least I'm getting some exercise - and out of the apartment.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2004, 12:27:01 PM »

Ginny: Yep, it's going out this afternoon.

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2004, 12:33:57 PM »

Well BK is not the only celebrity with a new novel on store shelves...I just recieved and e-mail from one of my past interviewees, stage and screen actress Anne Kimbell, whose new book is out as well. It is a spy/adventure novel called "The Ibeji Twins" a story about art theft in London and Africa. I very much enjoyed her first novel, To Catch a Thief so I look forward to getting her next one!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Miss Anne Kimbell[/move]

MBarnum

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2004, 12:34:58 PM »

She has a website also, www.annekimbell.com

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2004, 12:40:55 PM »

Welcome back, DR Jason!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2004, 12:50:29 PM »

I am sooooo bored at work today...I am really missing the luxury of my 4 day weekend that I just had!

Poooooor Baaaaaaby!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2004, 12:51:24 PM »

BK - Did my book order arrive in time for it to be shipped today?

TOD - Movie:  The American President; TV series The West Wing; Books:  Personal History, by Katharine Graham, The Roosevelt Women, by Betty Boyd Caroli, and Mrs. Ike, by Susan Eisenhower; Musical:  1776

Elmore - I went to a new coffee shop on Central Ave. today and one of  your "favorite" actresses was there - fortunately, she didn't recognize me!

Was it Arlene?  I was thinking about her!

Ginny

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2004, 12:53:56 PM »

Elmore - Who's Arlene?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up