Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TRIPLE LUTZ  (Read 18083 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE TRIPLE LUTZ
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2004, 01:11:11 PM »

BOTM.....CD... Really, DR George!  I thought we left such descriptions to other sites on this here internet!

Well, I never! :o ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2004, 01:13:03 PM »

A typical day in Katzpatch...

Woke up a little early, knowing I had to make tapes for the cast to learn from today.  Re-ordered some prescriptions and phoned the bank.  Ascertained that the left tape deck eats tapes, so I had to figure out how to hook-up the hand-held tape player for dubbing and over-dubbing purposes.  While searching around for what tapes I could record over, I found the tape on which I'd recorded My Dad from Such Good Friends, so I transcribed a little of that.  Then, I taped Need Somebody, which, as is typical of me, involves three-part counterpoint.  So I had to overdub myself and then overdub myself again.  What you hear is all three parts at once, done by the Noel Tabernacle Choir.

I may have said before that this is the catchiest song ever written.  Nobody who's heard it has been able to get it out of their heads, and, as I was dubbing tapes for several cast members, I've now heard the song at least five times.  It wasn't my intention to write the catchiest song ever written; all I needed was something the cast could learn quickly.  It's like a cross between the BK favorite, At the Same Time, Everyone Hates His Parents from Falsettoland, and Chicago's hit Saturday in the Park.

Also on the tape is the title song, Generation F'd, and one verse of the Inner Thoughts during a First Date song: it's not clear to me who'll be singing this last one.  About half the cast, I suppose.  We open December 5 and there's much to do before the song is complete.

I labeled all the tapes and printed out little casette sleeves.  A stranger sent me a musical to read and critique.  I only got through 16 pages.  Meanwhile, my friend who had the reading last night pestered me for criticism.  I strongly cautioned against blaming the actors for anything.  I bourght tapes, went to the bank and the pharmacy, and cleaned the kitchen floor.  Also folded laundry.

In the midst of all this, my not-too-bright cousin called and said "Wow - didn't expect to find you home.  You actually get a day off?"
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2004, 01:22:28 PM »

Speaking of e-mails, I just got one, and I'm sure some of the rest of the DRs did also alerting me that it's time once again for the Deep Discount DVD Thanksgiving Sale.

From now until the 20th of this month, you can get 20% more off their discount prices at deepdiscountDVD.com by typing in "DVDTalk" (no quotes) in the promotional code box at check-out.

Just wanted to make sure everyone knew about this in case there are things you want to buy. They do have to be DVDs that are currently in release. Can't be something that is pre-ordered. But I'll be using it for the Marx Bros., W.C. Fields, and Andy Griffith boxes among other things.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2004, 01:23:53 PM »

Elmore - Who's Arlene?

Who was that awful lady in THE BOYFRIEND?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2004, 01:32:16 PM »

Thanks MATTH - I sometimes forget to do that.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2004, 01:35:56 PM »

Who was that awful lady in THE BOYFRIEND?

Gosh, I don't remember.  Maybe I'll have to drag out my program to answer that one.  The one I'm talking about was in Oklahoma.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2004, 01:48:47 PM »

Most of my political movie choices have been picked with the exception of SOUTH PARK...BIGGER, LONGER, UNCUT...South Park, both movie and TV show, have the most delicious and incisive political and social satire around.

Elmore, I have a grudge against Alison Weir propagating the usual Tudor myths and lies about Richard III.  In fact, my favourite political bio is RICHARD III, by Paul Murray Kendall and ROYAL BLOOD by Hollywood entertainment lawyer Bert Fields who quite masterfully refutes and rebuts Weir's book THE PRINCES IN THE TOWER.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2004, 01:51:49 PM »

Gosh, I don't remember.  Maybe I'll have to drag out my program to answer that one.  The one I'm talking about was in Oklahoma.

La Frost!  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2004, 01:53:23 PM »

Elmore, I have a grudge against Alison Weir propagating the usual Tudor myths and lies about Richard III.  In fact, my favourite political bio is RICHARD III, by Paul Murray Kendall and ROYAL BLOOD by Hollywood entertainment lawyer Bert Fields who quite masterfully refutes and rebuts Weir's book THE PRINCES IN THE TOWER.

DRCharlesPogue, I don't know a thing about Richard; I've only read her series on Henry VIII and Elizabeth I, and I found them fascinating.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2004, 02:01:48 PM »

Elmore, because of Weir's dodgy facts and suppositions in her Richard material...a subject I know very well...I would find her other histories suspect.  I don't like A. L. Rowse for the same reason. In my experience,  Rowse too-often starts with a fore-gone conclusion that he fashions his facts around rather than letting his facts lead him to a conclusion.

Tomovoz

« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2004, 02:06:46 PM »

Of course I don't read Shakespeare because he distorted the truth and perpetuated myths too. lol
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ginny

« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2004, 02:12:26 PM »

La Frost!  
Right!  'nuff said.

On a less catty note:  My book group will be reading the Antonia Fraser bio of Marie Antoinette for our February selection.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2004, 02:26:20 PM »

Right!  'nuff said.

On a less catty note:  My book group will be reading the Antonia Fraser bio of Marie Antoinette for our February selection.

So La Frost is still alive and some music or theatre critic hasn't put a hit on her yet?  Is there no God?

On my less catty note, the Fraser bio is quite wonderful.  There was a bio of Marie Antoinette from a French writer published in English translation at the same time (Farrar Straus, I beleive), but the bad review it received in The New Yorker sold me against it.  The reviewer thought quite highly of the original French edition, which was quite long, and trashed the heavy abridgement.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2004, 02:27:59 PM »

The last thing I read was by the aforementioned Mr. Shakespeare: a little trifle called The Merry Wives of Windsor.  Finished it last night.

Hmmm, what next?  Perhaps a mystery...

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2004, 02:31:39 PM »

Happy Birthday to ladodgerjon.  

George THE MOUSE THAT ROARED is a great choice.  

Jennifer-good health vibes!

Jason so glad you could join us and entertain us with your “peachy” mood.  :D

Jose I think it was wise of you to stay away from the chocolate show.  After indulging in such an event I would be very ill and in a peachy mood.

Noel have fun on your day off-LOL

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2004, 02:36:30 PM »

All books that were ordered by twelve forty-five have been shipped.  New orders will usually go out the next day.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2004, 02:36:58 PM »

Oh, and the rug showed up a day early.  It looks splendidly splendid and really helps warm up the den.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2004, 02:40:45 PM »

For your pleasure, I hope, a few of the photos I sent DRLaura.

Tomovoz

« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2004, 02:44:05 PM »

Thank you DR Jane - We who live in a land of evergreens find Autumn/Fall colours/colors really wonderous.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2004, 02:52:11 PM »

Who's woods are these?  I think I know...

Would it be too much trouble if I asked you to come up with the name of the designer of that park?

BOTM - I've no idea what that stands for.

Tomovoz

« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2004, 02:56:30 PM »

Oh, and the rug showed up a day early.  It looks splendidly splendid and really helps warm up the den.
I assume your head is warmer too.
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2004, 03:09:31 PM »

Book Of The Month...Book of the Month Club Records is an offshoot of the BOTM Club.  They also released a two-record (and CD) compilation of Sondheim stuff that was all specifically recorded for this project.  The Sondheim set also included a suite of dances from Pacific Overtures.  It's quite wonderful...I think!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2004, 03:11:53 PM »

DRNoel, I think it's Book-of-the-Month.  So how did you like The Merry Wives?  I'm a big fan of Verdi's FALSTAFF, which I think is a masterpiece of abridgement by Boito.  Sweet Ann Page becomes Nanetta Ford.

DRJane, I want to come walk through those woods with you and discuss A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN and READING LOLITA IN TEHRAN!

MBarnum

« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2004, 03:17:04 PM »

DR Noel, and others, here is a little history of Lithia Park in the lovely town of Ashland:

The formal dedication of Lithia Park on July the 4th 1916 allowed Ashland to be known for more than its annual event of Chautaqua; it could now be known for its beauty too. The three day event unveiled some of Ashland’s newest features, such as the Lithia Park Auto Campground. It was one of the first such facilities to cater to travelers on the west coast. Nestled within the large trees of the park, travelers came from all over to relax and enjoy the scenic beauty while indulging themselves with some culture at the Chautaqua theatre.

Natural spring water, discovered a few miles east of Ashland, was being piped into town and bubbled out of the three new fountains in the park. This water has a high concentration of lithium and is said to have been used by the Native Americans to care for the sick and the elderly.

The park started with 8 acres of land in 1892 and the Chautaqua Association designated it for live entertainment that came to the area. Hundreds came to sit under the dome of the Chautaqua Tabernacle, which is now the site of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival.

In 1908, a group of women decided to take further steps to beautify the town of Ashland. They formed the Women’s Civic Improvement Club. A year later, the run down flour mill, which was located on the plaza at the entrance of the park since 1854, was torn down. Shortly after that 45 additional acres bordering Ashland creek were acquired.

The development of the park into what we see today really began in 1914 with the hiring of landscape architect John McLaren. McLaren, who was well know for designing the San Francisco Golden Gate State Park, designed 19 acres just up from the Chautaqua Grove.

Today, Lithia Park is 93 acres of beautifully manicured gardens, duck ponds, trails, playgrounds and tennis courts. Visitors approaching the park will notice the towering Tree of Heaven, which stands by itself in between the statue of Abraham Lincoln and the Plaza. It is said that Abel Helman’s Chinese cook planted it, and probably dates back to 1860. In 1982, Lithia Park was added to the National Historic Registry.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2004, 03:40:51 PM »

Actually managed to ship everything, including the three orders that came after one.  So, I'm all caught up for the time being.  

MBarnum

« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2004, 03:41:11 PM »

Here is a photo of the historic Ashland Springs Hotel in downtown Ashland. This is where I worked back in 1983 when it was called the Mark Anthony Hotel...it is a wonderful place and, as I understand, totally renovated and redone from when I was there.

MBarnum

« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2004, 03:50:05 PM »

And lastly, a view of downtown Ashland...a wonderful place to visit!

Tomovoz

« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2004, 03:51:37 PM »

Thank you DR MBarnum.. Not a Bollywood set in sight.
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2004, 04:11:11 PM »

First, A DAILY LEVITY

This is a detective story ..

So Pay Close Attention!!!

Three elderly ladies are excited about seeing their first baseball  game.

They smuggle a bottle of Jack Daniels’ into the ball park.

The game is real exciting and they are enjoying themselves immensely...  mixing the Jack Daniel's with soft drinks. (One hopes Diet Coke)

Soon they realize that the bottle is almost gone
and the game has a lot of innings to go.

Based on the given information, what inning is it
and how many players are on base?

Think!

Think some  more!!

You're gonna love  it ...

Answer:  

It's the bottom of the fifth
and the bags are loaded!

der Brucer (my California widow strikes again)

Ha Ha, I liked the story very much.

I know your saying Lutz but we have a place call Lutz that ( I hope I can get the idea across without you being able to hear what I'm saying) Lootzs is what it sounds like.   I say it the way you intend to tease the people who ride that bus.

We also have a park called Lithia Springs.  Which is full of (suprise, suprise) springs!  I haven't been there for years but I think I shall try to go.  Camera in tow, of course.

Jane, those are very lovely pictures.  I hope you take some when the snow comes.  You know how much I want to see snow in person but I would enjoy seeing some photos you've taken of it in the mean time.

Hummm, Bruce, you say your all caught up.  I think you may have forgotten something.   :)

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2004, 04:25:10 PM »

Re:I GOT RHYTHM - NEW
« Reply #150 on: Yesterday at 10:08:45pm »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Danise on Yesterday at 08:35:57pm
I was lucky!  I found two pictures--old and a bit faded but of the gardens we used to have.

The first picture was of the Manger that my Dad made and the second was of the log house he made.  

OMG--a picket fence!  We had a picket fence around out platform, too, way back when we lived in Camden, NJ.  My older sisters will often talk about how wonderful our under-the-tree platform was before I came along.  Evidently, I liked playing Godzilla when I was a wee one, and would often run amok amid our Plasticville village.  The hospital, the drive-in hamburger joint, and a number of fine homes were destroyed in my furious attack.

So Dan, do you still put a garden under the tree?  I fear we gave it up after my Dad passed.  It just didn't feel the same without him there to set it up with.   :)

Jane, you said you hear the Southerner in my voice.  That's odd because all the Southern people I know (like my boss who is a REAL Southern born and bred) have told me I sound like a total Northerner.    Didn't you say I sound like someone here on the board?  I can't remember who.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up