Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SHENANIGANS  (Read 4267 times)

FJL

Re: SHENANIGANS
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2016, 10:36:15 AM »

Are we there yet?

FJL

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2016, 10:36:31 AM »

At last, page 2!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2016, 10:51:00 AM »

Almost any film with a harmonica score annoys me.......
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2016, 11:00:35 AM »

Interesting to read about the auction shenanigans.....but I have long suspected such things happen......

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2016, 11:23:28 AM »

Our apartment spouse abuser is using the laundry so I'm waiting for him to finish up.  I wish his abused wife had stayed and he moved out 40 years ago
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2016, 12:49:45 PM »

I'm up, I'm up - finally.  I fell back asleep around seven-thirty - so all told I think I got seven hours of sleep.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2016, 01:17:09 PM »

Off to rehearsal....

FJL

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2016, 01:32:12 PM »

Have a great rehearsal, Jrand!

Ginny

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2016, 01:44:26 PM »

Monday morning greetings!  Somewhat back to normal today after crashing quite early last night.  We're off to the convention center, but will be finished by 4pm.  Hoping to see former DR Jason for dinner.

Hoping all is fine and you have a nice dinner.

Jason is not available today, but there may be hope for tomorrow.  Richard and I are staying in tonight and having our leftover pizza for dinner.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2016, 01:50:12 PM »

Very fruitful day at the convention center.  I talked to the vendors I wanted to and 2 of the 3 programs I attended were very good.  Last session featured Marty Sklar, retired Disney Imagineer, as keynote speaker.  He gave several shout-outs to the Sherman brothers and showed a video clip of Richard singing at his (Marty's) retirement party.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2016, 01:50:13 PM »

Re: The Panic in Needle Park -- count me in, too.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2016, 01:51:25 PM »

Home from Columbia and bank.  I also picked up some more watercress.

DR Elmore, I want to go to Columbia with you next time we're in New York.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2016, 01:55:45 PM »

Have a great rehearsal, Jrand!

Ditto!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2016, 01:59:01 PM »

The laundry is finished, thank God. I need a nap.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2016, 02:03:36 PM »

Guess I should go eat something.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2016, 02:04:59 PM »

One week ago yesterday, I was out on my balcony watering plants.  One is a Norfolk Island pine that stands about 6 feet in its pot.  To water it I stabilize myself by placing my left hand on a potting table and leaning over it to put water into the pot with my right hand.  Inevitably, my head brushes up against, or into, the fronds of the pine.

At around midday on that Sunday, I noted a bump on my forehead just above my left eyebrow that seemed to be an oncoming zit.  Great, I thought!

By evening, it was more pronounced as something I couldn't figure out.  On Monday morning, I had a huge bump on my forehead that looked like I'd been concussed (or like someone had hit me).   By Wednesday, I decided I needed to have it looked at as it was not going away.  It didn't hurt, but was uncomfortable because there is precious little room on one's forehead for any swelling.

Doctor thought it might be related to shingles or it might be an insect bite.  When he pressed me for details about when I first noticed it, I recalled the incident with the Norfolk Island pine.  I may have encountered a spider or other bug that bit me...or my forehead might have been pierced by one of the needles.   

At any rate, antibiotics and an ointment were prescribed and I was encouraged to return if anything new happened.  By Thursday, the swelling seemed reduced and the ointment appeared to be drying up whatever was inside the bump (i.e., slight scabbing formed over a few areas on the bump).

Friday morning, I woke up with a hideously swollen left eye.  I returned to the doctor.  There was not any alarm, but more meds were prescribed.  A round of Acyclovir was prescribed in the event it had any relationship to shingles (but we are fairly certain it does not because there is no pain associated with it).  I also received a prescription for Benadryl, which the doctor believed would reduce the swelling.

In fact, by Friday evening the swelling was much reduced.    When I woke up Saturday morning, however, the eye was grotesquely swollen again....yes, hideously AND grotesquely.   I took my meds as prescribed and applied an ice pack to the swollen eye.   As the day progressed, the swelling drastically reduced, and I was back to normal by bed time.

I decided, however, that because I sleep on my left side, I needed to avoid putting any pillow pressure on the left eye.  I slept in my chair for about four hours and then finished my sleep on my bed on my right side.  Eye remained improved. 

Last night, I slept as normal on my left side.  All is well and the place on my forehead is healing nicely.  The swelling is gone, but there is one giant scab now. 

Ah, the vagaries of being older and more susceptible to mysterious ailments.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 02:07:46 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2016, 02:10:52 PM »

I have to decide what I need to look over tomorrow at Columbia. 

Today, I went through all the drafts (1955 to post-1963) of the libretto and correspondence between the writer and composer. It's interesting to see how they ended up with what the City Opera presented in 1963.  After the run, there were lots of rewrites, but none of them have music to match the changes, so I had to go with the 1963 scores. Miss Florida Cotton, a dance role, was used in the drafts to show how the Confederacy's economic plight and dearth of eligible young beaus as the war progressed forced eligible young belles into prostitution.  Miss Cotton and her co-workers picking up soldiers had a number at the end of Act one, "What's A Girl To Do?"  At City Opera, she ended up as a flirt at a party during the firing on Fort Sumter and was never seen again.  After City Opera, sh was removed from the show completely.

I wish "What's A Girl To Do?" and some of the cut songs existed.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 02:30:32 PM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2016, 02:11:41 PM »

I think tomorrow is a GOLDEN APPLE day.  I need to look at some of the scores.

FJL

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2016, 03:03:07 PM »

Ron, I'm so sorry to hear all you went through.  Glad to hear you;re doing better now!

ChasSmith

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2016, 03:06:35 PM »

Today I went through some photos, many of which go back a year or more and have yet to be labeled or properly filed.  In so doing, I found a few choice gems I thought I might post here for y'all's viewing pleasure. 

Today's choice gem is from the orchestra reading of the Encores! 1776.  Seated, at left, Jeremy Clayton (Joshie's brother) on woodwinds; guest music director Ben Whiteley, resting against table; Rob Berman who visited and observed for a little while, standing; DR Elmore's adopted son Joshie; and of course our very own DR Elmore.

A choice gem from a choice day, and may I never forget the incredible sound of that orchestra.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2016, 03:14:05 PM »

Today I went through some photos, many of which go back a year or more and have yet to be labeled or properly filed.  In so doing, I found a few choice gems I thought I might post here for y'all's viewing pleasure. 

Today's choice gem is from the orchestra reading of the Encores! 1776.  Seated, at left, Jeremy Clayton (Joshie's brother) on woodwinds; guest music director Ben Whiteley, resting against table; Rob Berman who visited and observed for a little while, standing; DR Elmore's adopted son Joshie; and of course our very own DR Elmore.

A choice gem from a choice day, and may I never forget the incredible sound of that orchestra.

Aren't you sneaky! What a nice photo of some of my favorite people.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2016, 03:20:16 PM »

I think that nose behind me is my friend Eric Dietz, who was a musical assistant on BRIGHT STAR.  I sat with him and Chase Brock, choreographer and Rob Berman's spouse, at the show yesterday..  Eric's coming over this week to watch some more episodes of MIRANDA.

ChasSmith

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2016, 03:24:18 PM »

Thank you -- I've met him there at least a couple of times now, and I NEVER remembered his name.

ChasSmith

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2016, 03:25:14 PM »

He was making rehearsal notes and putting markers on the recording of the rehearsal.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2016, 03:52:29 PM »

Monday morning greetings!  Somewhat back to normal today after crashing quite early last night.  We're off to the convention center, but will be finished by 4pm.  Hoping to see former DR Jason for dinner.

Hoping all is fine and you have a nice dinner.

Jason is not available today, but there may be hope for tomorrow.  Richard and I are staying in tonight and having our leftover pizza for dinner.

Good luck it happens tomorrow!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2016, 03:54:29 PM »

Nice picture!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 03:56:00 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2016, 03:55:30 PM »

DR Ron I am pleased and relieved you are greatly improved!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2016, 03:55:33 PM »

I've had some of my chicken potage, münster cheese, and wheat crackers.  I've begun watching the 1986 5-hour PBS production of HUCKLEBERRY FINN and I will watch some more of that tonight.

I have to get ready for BIG RIVER at Encores!

Jane

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2016, 03:56:10 PM »

DR Chas, thank you for the nice photo of DR elmore ☺

KevinH

« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2016, 04:05:03 PM »

Glad to hear you're doing better, DR Ron Pulliam!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up