Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: CLEAR AS A BELL, CLEAN AS A WHISTLE  (Read 20056 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
CLEAR AS A BELL, CLEAN AS A WHISTLE
« on: November 16, 2004, 12:11:11 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were clear as a bell, clean as a whistle, and now it is time for you to post until the bells and whistle cows come home.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 12:00:17 AM by bk »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:CLEAR AS A BELL, CLEAN AS A WHISTLE
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 12:25:31 AM »

When you come from a family of four kids, you do not go to big roadshow movies; you wait till they hit the local bijou or the drive-in.  Probably the first reserved seating thing I did was the American Film Theatre stuff that came out in the early seventies.  I think I was in Odessa, Texas, at the the time, plying my trade as an actor at the Globe of the Great Southwest

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 12:30:00 AM »

I honestly can't remember which was the first roadshow reserved seat film I went to.  Those who've read the Kritzer books know I was obsessed with them.  I have to believe it was either Seven Wonders of the World in Cinerama (in Benjamin Kritzer), or Ben-Hur or Scent of Mystery (in Smell-o-Vision) - those all would have been in 1959 (I saw Seven Wonders on a second go-round at the Warner Cinerama).  

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 12:42:51 AM »

Not a concept familiar to us in the Land Of Oz.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 01:15:42 AM »

Roadshow movies weren't high on my parent's list of things to do, either.  Come to think of it, neither was going to movies, period.  It was next to impossible to get Dad to agree to seeing any movie, and then he usually wanted to save the cash and go to a drive-in instead.

For example, there was one time when my sister's girlfriends all were getting together to see some film at a local theater.  It was one of those cheap Bikini movies, in the middle of a scorcher summer.  Even to me, it was obvious that what my sister wanted was to get together with her pals in a nice cool "refrigerated" theater.  Dad let the obvious slip right past his head.  No, if she was going to see a movie, it would be with her family.  We ended up seeing some second-level Disney live-action film at, you guessed it, the drive-in.

The only time Dad sprung for roadshow tix was a double-header of The Sound of Music and Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines, Or How I Flew From London to Paris in 25 Hours 11 Minutes.  But I've told that story before, and I don't really feel like repeating myself this time.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 01:51:35 AM »

I've never been to a roadshow picture.  They were before my time. :-\ Unless you count the Warren Miller films that tour about...but I don't think that those really count. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 02:59:27 AM »

I've never been to a roadshow picture.  They were before my time. :-\
Oh, that's it, make the rest of us feel ancient!   ::)

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 05:22:19 AM »

My father was a major movie fan, and loved taking us downtown on a Saturday afternoon. The earliest three roadshow movies I remember are The Ten Commandments (no, DR Stuart; this was the talkie), Oklahoma, and Around the World In Eighty Days - all around the same time. Of the three, Around the World - with its catchy theme song, terrific adventure, huge screen, funny bits, and exotic cast (i.e., Shirley MacLaine) and locales, made the greatest impression. I didn't want it to end.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 05:43:25 AM »

Good morning, all!  I went to bed early last night, because my mind insisted I was tired even if my body refused to give up the ghost.  And speaking of ghosts, another dream about the ghostly activities in the house where I grew up.  I dreamed I was scoring a medley from THE ARCADIANS! (why?) working on a card table late at night in my Mother's kitchen, fighting with two pencils, my siamese cat, and the damned ghost which kept throwing open the door leading to the basement, which was quite a haunted area of the house, along with the footsteps in the attic.  I don't recall much of the dream now, just an increasing fear that at some point I'd have to confront whatever was walking up the basement stairs and throwing open the door.   I went to securely fasten the door, and woke up in a state of terror.  I had to turn on the lights for a few minutes.  You'd think after forty years that house wouldn't frighten me.

Cinerama, The Seven Wonders of the World, waqs the first roadshow film.  My Father had a friend in the construction business who lived in Cincinnati, so my brother Tom, my parents, and I met my Father's friend and his wife, who taught school, for dinner, and we all went to see the film.  I remember nothing about the film but the roller coaster and that I loved it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 05:51:05 AM »

DR Emily, I know what you mean about the exchange rate.  I almost dropped to the floor when the $25 US charge was only $30.  Yeah!!!

Jennifer

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 05:52:28 AM »

I'm not familiar with the term "roadshow picture" either.  Can someone give more details than in the notes.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2004, 06:14:47 AM »

The earliest three roadshow movies I remember are The Ten Commandments (no, DR Stuart; this was the talkie).

DR DiT, I have often denied you were in OUR AMERICAN COUSIN the night Lincoln was shot.  (or however that line goes...)

Brooklyn was not a huge roadshow marketplace.  The only time I vaguely recall being taken to a movie with reserved seats is when we went to Radio City for the Christmas show...on Christmas Eve.  (A long past tradition for NYC area Jews).  I know that's when we saw the film version of 1776.  We also used to go to the theatre on Christmas Eve...payback, I suppose, for the Christians who went to the theatre on Yom Kippur.

I also vaguely, VAGUELY recall being taken to see WEST SIDE STORY somewhere in Brooklyn....must have been a re-release somewhere aroung '68 or '69.... For some reason I sort of recall it having reserved seats.  Perhaps DB Jay remembers this better than I.  (Jay, I also vaguely, VAGUELY remember it either being near Aunt Mary's apartment, or she was with us....)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 06:16:12 AM by Stuart »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2004, 06:19:49 AM »

I think the only roadshow picture I ever saw was A Boy Named Charlie Brown.  And I'm only guessing that it was a roadshow movie because we had to go to Philly to see it, there was a big promotion for it in conjunction with a local department store, and there was a souvenir book (it was also shown at a huge screen movie house, but I rememeber that all the screens were huge back then.)

I also remember that it was the first time that I was disappointed in a movie.  I was a total Peanuts fan and I loved the TV specials.  But to me, the big screen treatment was sort of overblown, bland and silly.  I think the only part I liked was the song about spelling--"I Before E" or something like that.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 06:21:39 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2004, 06:32:46 AM »

My first roadshow picture was THE BROTHERS GRIMM - and boy that screen was B I G!  We got little paper programs (wish I still had mine, but my sister cut it up for paper dolls one day when I was at school) - most of all I liked the sound which came from everywhere in the theatre.  I turned around a couple of times to see what was behind me!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2004, 06:47:19 AM »

Here is your Allison Hayes Picture of the Week!  :o

She is accepting a light from Mr Dennis O'Keefe in CHICAGO SYNDICATE, and wearing another dress that is defying the law of gravity.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2004, 06:49:34 AM »

Thanks to MATTH who reminded me of the deepdiscountDVD special offer this month, I got the Deanna Durbin collection for $15.59 and OLIVER! and the Criterion EYES WITHOUT A FACE for $17.16 each.  You can only use the Discount code once, so buy everything you want at the same time.  Expires on November 20!

Ginny

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2004, 06:50:41 AM »

In late '50s, early '60s Detroit (where I grew up), Music Hall  www.musichall.org was the Cinerama theatre.  My earliest memory of going there was with family friends to see Windjammer.  The dad in the family was an OB/GYN and I remember that, after the movie, the mom, their kids, and I sat in the car in the parking lot of Harper Hospital for a LONG time.  Maybe he was delivering a baby...

My most vivid recollection of going there, though, was November 24, 1963, two days after JFK's assassination.  We'd had tickets forever for How the West was Won and the adults decided that we'd go.  The mood was pretty grim, as I remember.

Other roadshow movies in Detroit:  The Sound of Music and My Fair Lady.  Also, after I moved to Ohio, the second season of American Film Theatre, which included Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris.

Oh, my, this site does make one think of things long-forgotten!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2004, 07:00:00 AM »

Like BK, my first roadshow was either a Cinerama picture (I'm guessing CINERAMA HOLIDAY?) or BEN-HUR; I can't remember which came first, but I'd guess it was the Cinerama. But I went to many roadshows in the mid-to-late 1960s once I was able to drive myself to the theaters in Charlotte: MY FAIR LADY, THE SOUND OF MUSIC, DR. ZHIVAGO, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTACY, THE GREAT RACE, CAMELOT, FINIAN'S RAINBOW, STAR!, HELLO, DOLLY. I think the last one I ever went to was PAINT YOUR WAGON.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2004, 07:02:10 AM »

You're welcome, DR JRand, for the reminder about the Deep Discount sale. I am going there this morning with a sizable order.

Ginny

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2004, 07:03:17 AM »

DR MattH - Thanks for reminding me about The Agony and The Ecstasy, which I saw with my parents, and Dr. Zhivago, which remains one of my all-time favorite movies.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2004, 07:20:15 AM »

It's funny about the roadshow movies in that I can remember as clear as a bell which theaters I went to to see them. I guess because you dressed up and paid a higher price for a reserved seat, the theater has stuck in my mind. And there were some roadshows which I waited until they came back at lower prices: OLIVER! for example. And I saw 2001 at a Cinerama theater and later at a regulation sized theater (where it wasn't nearly as impressive).

MBarnum

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2004, 07:21:36 AM »

I tried to go to DeepdiscountDVD.com last night but was unable to get in...must have been a rush to used the discount. I will try to put in my order at lunch time if someone can remind me of the discount code again! Thanks!!

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2004, 07:21:46 AM »

Those of us of a certain age - can you remember how long some of these roadshows ran? THE SOUND OF MUSIC ran here for a record time - 59 weeks.

Justy remembered a couple more (but it was before I had my driver's license): CLEOPATRA, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA.

MBarnum

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2004, 07:22:15 AM »

I never saw a roadshow...maybe we didn't have them in Medford, Oregon.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2004, 07:23:01 AM »

I tried to go to DeepdiscountDVD.com last night but was unable to get in...must have been a rush to used the discount. I will try to put in my order at lunch time if someone can remind me of the discount code again! Thanks!!

DR MBarnum: It's "DVDTalk" (omit quotes)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2004, 07:31:55 AM »

DR MattH - Thanks for reminding me about The Agony and The Ecstasy, which I saw with my parents, and Dr. Zhivago, which remains one of my all-time favorite movies.

Dr. Zhivago is one of my favs, too, DR Ginny.  It's one of those movies that I just lock into and I can watch it from any point.  I would love to see it on a big screen.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2004, 07:33:29 AM »

Thank you DR Matth! Now I can do some shoppin'!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2004, 07:36:13 AM »

DR MB, are you able to get to the DeepDiscountDVD site?  I keep getting a server error message.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2004, 07:42:30 AM »

Roadshow pictures were before my time, also.  Or maybe they were during my time, but it's hard to remember your very early childhood, it's not as clear as a bell as your later childhood.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2004, 07:46:06 AM »

Yes MBARNUM, I had some trouble last night too.  They must have been very busy.  But if it doesn't work, save the items in your shopping cart and try again.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up