Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: CLEAR AS A BELL, CLEAN AS A WHISTLE  (Read 20014 times)

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
Re:CLEAR AS A BELL, CLEAN AS A WHISTLE
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2004, 07:47:31 AM »

Yo!

I remember seeing Around the World in 80 Days - didn't know it was a Road Show!!!

And, speaking of road shows... Chaspen/Arts presents JEWISH THIGHS ON BROADWAY  at the Clurman Theater, on 42nd St, NYC,  March 16-27, starring Penny Orloff, with Jose Piano - Music Director! (Chaspen/Arts is a 501-c-3 non-profit org, if you wondered...)
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2004, 07:48:12 AM »

Wow - did I just start Page 2???
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2004, 07:49:47 AM »

Anyhow, if you would like more info about our show, email me directly!

and just BTW - BRUCE!!!!! Congratulations on the book, you prolific little thing you!!! I'll be at the NYC signing, of course!
PennyO

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2004, 08:06:42 AM »

With some difficulty, I can get to the site, and I put items in my cart. Then, when I go to checkout, I'm informed my cart is empty. Strange.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2004, 08:11:27 AM »

I'm able to get to DeepDiscountsDVD now.  So far I've picked two items:  Ric Burns' New York and something called New York in the Fifties, which sounds like a literary Broadway, The Golden Age.  Still shopping...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2004, 08:22:17 AM »

Chaspen/Arts is a nonprofit organization founded by our own Miss Penny Orloff. She's too modest. You can see the good work she and her friend have done by going to their Web site

http://members.aol.com/chaspen/

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2004, 08:33:46 AM »

When checking the date of Around the World in 80 Days I read that Mike Todd was born Avron Hirsch Goldenbogen.

Just imagine: released in Goldenbogen-a-o.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2004, 08:35:36 AM »

DR MBarnum: It's "DVDTalk" (omit quotes)

The DeepDiscountDVD.com discount code in the e-mail that I got was "SUPERSALE" (omit quotes, also)!  I wonder if one person can use both codes for different orders. ::) Hmm.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2004, 08:39:28 AM »

That would be great DRGEORGE!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2004, 08:41:35 AM »

I'll be at the NYC signing, of course!

DR PennyO - a cautionary tale.

My highschool friend Patty attended a book signing at Barnes and Noble on Broadway. The book was by Patty's closest girlfriend from high school (the author's name is well known but will simply be called Jane). The two hadn't seen each other for about 30 years. When Patty reached the front of the line, Jane asked her how she'd like the book inscribed. Patty had waited for this moment for a long time, and gave Jane the secret gibberish phrase that the two of them had always exchanged. And Jane replied: "Would you run that by me again."

MBarnum

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2004, 08:58:58 AM »

I can't decide what to buy from Deepdiscountdvd.com now that I have the discount code! LOL! Am thinking about Silk Stockings, Rebel Without a Cause, and The Ugly Dachshund...but none of those are on my must have list...maybe I should be saving my money. LOL! But I hate to miss a bargain...even if it is for something I don't need! Ha!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2004, 09:01:01 AM »

The DeepDiscountDVD.com discount code in the e-mail that I got was "SUPERSALE" (omit quotes, also)!  I wonder if one person can use both codes for different orders. ::) Hmm.

Is the discount amount still 20% with that code, George?

I've since added the Public Theatre's Pirates of Penzance and Diane Keaton's Heaven to my order.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 09:03:10 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2004, 09:11:32 AM »

My highschool friend Patty attended a book signing at Barnes and Noble on Broadway. The book was by Patty's closest girlfriend from high school (the author's name is well known but will simply be called Jane). The two hadn't seen each other for about 30 years. When Patty reached the front of the line, Jane asked her how she'd like the book inscribed. Patty had waited for this moment for a long time, and gave Jane the secret gibberish phrase that the two of them had always exchanged. And Jane replied: "Would you run that by me again."

Well, then, we who attend BK's book signings should speak to him in gibberish.

I, too, am too young to remember roadshow pictures.  The earliest films I can recall seeing are Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines, The Sound of Music and Mary Poppins.  I saw these in New York, and it seems very likely to me these weren't roadshow events.  In my family, you didn't spend extra money on a child, so if there was an alternative of waiting to see the movie at a cheaper (2nd-run?) price, that's what would have happened.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2004, 09:16:18 AM »

DAMN THESE TRICKY GLASSES - DAMN THEM ALL TO HELL

Extract from an  AP story:

Subway Sign Makes Mean Comment
Monday, November 15, 2004

It may have been computer hackers. It may have been an inside joke. But whatever it was, it had New York subway riders scratching their heads Thursday.

"PRETTY GIRLS DON'T RIDE THE SUBWAY" read an electronic message board at the West Fourth Street subway station in Greenwich Village, reports the New York Daily News.

The sign, which usually reminds riders not to run down escalators or to make sure to fold up baby strollers, flashed the strange message for several hours before it was unplugged around 8 p.m.

The New York City Transit Authority  said it was looking into the matter, but a token-booth clerk figured some joker had hacked into the subway's computer system.

And I read "broken-tooth clerk"!

der Brucer
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 09:17:53 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2004, 09:21:47 AM »

JEWISH THIGHS ON BROADWAY  

Been there
Done that
LOVED IT

der I-even-read-the-book Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2004, 09:24:22 AM »

Roadshow pictures were ones that opened in one big theater in a city (usually a big city with a big theater), played reserved seats only, usually had only two screenings a day.  

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2004, 09:30:53 AM »

PRETTY GIRLS DON'T RIDE THE SUBWAY
a token-booth clerk figured some joker had hacked into the subway's computer

A joker?  Or somebody brave enough to tell the truth?

<signed>

Disgruntled Commuter with Too Little To Look At
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2004, 09:34:53 AM »

Welcome eight GUESTS.  We're talkin' about roadshow movies.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2004, 09:35:29 AM »

Oh, and can anyone find out the derivation of "roadshow" in terms of reserved seat films?

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2004, 09:37:54 AM »

I also vaguely, VAGUELY recall being taken to see WEST SIDE STORY somewhere in Brooklyn....must have been a re-release somewhere aroung '68 or '69.... For some reason I sort of recall it having reserved seats.  Perhaps DB Jay remembers this better than I.  (Jay, I also vaguely, VAGUELY remember it either being near Aunt Mary's apartment, or she was with us....)

Sorry, Dear Brother.  I have no recollection of such an adventure.  

I don't believe I ever saw a film in a roadshow engagement.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2004, 10:06:51 AM »

Is the discount amount still 20% with that code, George?

Yes it is 20%.  I tried to order two DVDs this morning.  I added them to my cart and entered the code.  It applied the code, but when I clicked the "proceed to checkout" button, I got the message "You cannot checkout.  Your cart is empty."  I tried it three different times.  THEN I realized that both the DVDs I wanted were not in stock. >:( You can only use the code on in-stock items.  Damn.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2004, 10:28:53 AM »

Oh, and can anyone find out the derivation of "roadshow" in terms of reserved seat films?

Here's a little something (and it wasn't easy to find via Google):

http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/NewSite/INDEX/ARTICLES/roadshow.asp
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2004, 10:33:01 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, I tried and tried, but I just couldn't drag myself out of bed until around 12:30pm.  The weird thing is is that I know I set my radio/CD player to go off at 8:00 the past two days, but either it's not working or I'm sleeping through the "alarm".  And, yes, I do check to make sure everything has been set correctly before and after going to bed - well, after I get I up, I mean.  Who knows?!?!?  Guess I just need the sleep.  In any case...

As for roadshow pictures... My earliest memories of going to the movies were the ones at the Ft. Myer's movie theatre - which meant they were second (if not third) run by the time they were distributed to the military bases.  As for first movie, "Bambi", "Alice in Wonderland" and "Flipper" stick in my head.  And a few laters, the first drive-in movie was either "Orca" and/or "The Witch of Blackbird Pond" - or something close to that title.  -Quite the double-feature for a nine-year old in the back seat of a Ford Gran Torino.  -Of course, my brothers and I were playing on the swing set, and hanging out at the snack bar.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2004, 10:36:04 AM »

TOD

If I were to use the line "I'm too young to remember" the topic would have to be "First Talking Picture you saw".

Philly didn't have "Roadshows" in the classic sense - the films were shown in newly converted downtown theatres, the prices were raised, the seating was newer, and souvenir programs were sold.

With that qualification - I saw all the biggies at launch!

"This Is Cinerama" - 1952 (same time as 3-Ds "Bwana Devil" which preceded the much more popular "House of Wax" by a few months)

"The Robe"- 1953 (First CinemaScope*)

"Oklahoma" - 1955 (First ToddAO "Cinerama-outa-one hole" film - although most remember 1956's "Around the World in 80 Days")

An interesting observation concerning prices from WideScreeenMuseum:
In 1955, general admission for an adult in a major first run theatre was about $.75. Oklahoma!'s top ticket price of $3.50 in 1955 dollars translates to about $45.00 today. The Todd-AO run of Oklahoma! was on a reserved seat only basis, "...as in the legitmate theatre." as the ad explains. Ticket prices were in line with the legitimate theatre also. And NO POPCORN in a Todd-AO theatre!

After that the 70MM revolution was off and running! Super wide screen culminated in Dimension 150 ("The Bible" -1966 and 'Patton" - 1970)

* It is interesting to note that the term 'CinemaScope' itself, is the first word in common usage in the English language to use a capital letter within, or inside, the word itself. In recent years, this practice has now become popular in describing computer-related companies and products. (From ScopeHistory)

der Brucer

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2004, 10:43:32 AM »

Matt H.  prompted me to remember that I also saw FINIAN'S RAINBOW on my own steam as a young adult.  I must have seen it as a roadshow because I have the souvenir program to it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2004, 11:09:15 AM »

LOL derBrucer.....me, too!  

Interesting article RLP.  I couldn't find anything definitive re:Roadshows either.  They seem to have been around almost as long as movies.  And EXCLUSIVE showing rights for a specific theatre within a 100-mile radius seems to be one of the criteria.  I know if we wanted to see CIRCUS WORLD (a low-rent Cinerama movie) will had to go to Indianapolis and pay $4 or more at the Cinerama Theatre.

Does any DR remember The Big Circus with Victor Mature and Peter Lorre and David Nelson.  I would love to have a copy of it, but it is not available on video or DVD.  I bought "The Big Show" but that turned out to be an Esther Williams-Cliff Robertson movie that ... well ... the best part was when mean Robert Vaughn got mauled by the polar bear that his wife had used to commit suicide!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 01:02:49 PM by JRand54 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2004, 11:24:19 AM »

RE: The subway sign:  Maybe it was a threat.

MR BK - I am glad you decided to stay at the Doubletree.  I think your trip is too important to have the added hassle of a substandard hotel experience!  You will never be sorry you - especially when you return after a LONG day!

Saving money is great (I just did at DD DVD) - but being sure of the product is priceless!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2004, 11:27:13 AM »

Of course if money was no object - I would have suggested The Muse.  

www.themusehotel.com

It is the former Leavitt Building at 130 W. 46th St. :D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 11:27:52 AM by JRand54 »

Ben

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2004, 11:46:00 AM »

The former Leavitt Building at 130 W. 46th St. which now houses the Muse Hotel is also just down the block from the Equity office (on the corner of 46th and Broadway) and also just a building or two away from the former High School of Performing Arts, now the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis High School for International Careers.

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2004, 11:56:42 AM »

I disagree about the hotel.  $450 a night is a ridiculous price.  There must be something better.  I'm not sure how fancy the place has to be.  But I've stayed at the Best Western President, the Edison, The howard johnson, the Days Inn, and those were all well under $150 a night.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up