Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: NO MORE HALVAH  (Read 26561 times)

Tomovoz

Re:NO MORE HALVAH
« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2004, 02:53:56 PM »

DiT:  Miss Peggy lee sings the Songs of Cy Colman.
(EMI capitol records 1979). A favourite here in this house. 10 of the above songs.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2004, 02:56:41 PM »

Oh, Michael!!! Where on earth did you find that picture???

I was looking for Jason from Friday the 13th and came across this one. He is an actor named Jason who played Brad Majors in a production of Rocky Horror Show.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 03:04:56 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2004, 02:59:42 PM »

Stephen Sondheim
John Kander
Jerry Herman

are all that are left from notable composers. There are no more composers who can match the quality or the out put. Who are there equals? No one in my opinion.
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2004, 03:02:25 PM »

Your elbow needs a shrink?

Yes, and the shrink wants my elbow to bring you along with it to the session.

;)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Michael

« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2004, 03:04:13 PM »

Here is the record that Bruce was talking about:

Bay Cities BCD-1038

Produced by Bruce Kimmel

featuring original music by

Cy Coleman

New York Sketches
1. Morning
2. Afternoon
3. Evening

Seth Rudetsky, piano

Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2004, 03:04:21 PM »

What did he say, Take Me Along?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #126 on: November 19, 2004, 03:06:19 PM »

I tried to order several things from deepdiscount including the new GWTW set, but when I clicked to place the order I got an error message - several times.  The order never went through, and, as it turns out, that was a good thing, since my local DVD store got it in and it's much cheaper there than even deepdiscount.
Did you order not-yet-released or back-ordered items?  The discount code is only good on "in stock" items.  I tried to order a not-yet-released DVD and it didn't work.

Stephen Sondheim
John Kander
Jerry Herman

are all that are left from notable composers. There are no more composers who can match the quality or the out put. Who are there equals? No one in my opinion.
Sad, but true.  In my humble opinion, (IMHO in Internet lingo) Alen Menken and Stephen Flaherty are two of the best of the "younger" generation.  If only Menken would write more directly for the stage!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2004, 03:10:04 PM »

Hmmmmmmmm......I like the color on the CALL ME MADAM dvd, and the dance by the water with O'Conner and Vera-Ellen seems to have been ripped off the following year in WHITE CHRISTMAS for V-E and Danny Kaye.

Merman always makes me laugh - and she sells the songs, of course.  No chance to be subtle.  It's better than I remembered it was.  Glad to have it.  CALL ME MADAM - dated AND entertaining.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 04:00:47 PM by JRand54 »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #128 on: November 19, 2004, 03:19:14 PM »

I love it when my dates are entertaining! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2004, 03:30:50 PM »

YOU THERE IN THE BACK ROW is a beautiful song.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #130 on: November 19, 2004, 03:57:15 PM »

Dear DR William: I'd suggest that you might want to get out more, but first let us know when so everyone else can RUN!

Now, now, Swoody!  That charge could be leveled at all of us by anyone reading these boards.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #131 on: November 19, 2004, 04:01:54 PM »

Indeed it could dRWFO!  LOL

Hmmmmm...Donald O'Conner was a terrific dancer - but why is Vera-Ellen's neck so scary?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #132 on: November 19, 2004, 04:03:12 PM »

Now, now, Swoody!  That charge could be leveled at all of us by anyone reading these boards.

True, but you'd be running TOWARD some while others you'd run away FROM.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #133 on: November 19, 2004, 04:05:46 PM »

Do any of you guys have dvd recorders?  We don't have TIVO here.  And I believe most dvd recorders can record only 16 hours per disk.  Are they just like VCRs?  Is it similar to TIVO?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #134 on: November 19, 2004, 04:15:00 PM »

Hmmmmm...Donald O'Conner was a terrific dancer - but why is Vera-Ellen's neck so scary?

Poor Vera-Ellen!  A real life Norma Desmond.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: November 19, 2004, 04:20:07 PM »

but why is Vera-Ellen's neck so scary?

So you noticed that too, huh?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: November 19, 2004, 04:23:14 PM »

Stephen Sondheim
John Kander
Jerry Herman

Well, excuse me for having to disagree and perhaps even bitch-slap, but aren't we leaving out someone very important, like Mr. Harvey Schmidt (and partner Tom Jones)?  I just got off the phone with him, as a matter of fact, and we were discussing Classical Broadway and how much fun it was to do.  I haven't heard it in close to twelve years - I'll have to give it a listen.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2004, 04:24:58 PM »

Actually, DR SWS, what started this was Joe asking me what that thing was that the guy in the beard said to Alexander in the episode with Lwaxana.  I didn't have a clue, so I googled a bit and found, lo and behold, a Web Site that has all the scripts to Next Generation, as well as Deep Space 9, 24, Six Feet Under, and a dozen more.

Isn't that too too?
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jane

« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2004, 04:24:58 PM »

I just washed this weeks dust out of my hair since the workmen have left for the weekend.  Today the plumbers put most of the new pipes into what will not just be a shower, but a shower experience.  Keith wants us to be blasted with multiple shower sprays.  All I keep thinking is my eyes are going to get blasted.  It’s okay because I don’t plan on using the shower as often once my whirlpool tub is in place.  Plus I can turn off all those extra shower heads.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2004, 04:29:31 PM »

I just washed this weeks dust out of my hair since the workmen have left for the weekend.  Today the plumbers put most of the new pipes into what will not just be a shower, but a shower experience.  Keith wants us to be blasted with multiple shower sprays.  All I keep thinking is my eyes are going to get blasted.  It’s okay because I don’t plan on using the shower as often once my whirlpool tub is in place.  Plus I can turn off all those extra shower heads.

I can see it now....you'll be walking back toward home with Bogie...and Keith will drive by.  You'll look all hot and sweaty...and Keith will know that you are probably thinking about using all those shower heads...and he'll speed up to get home before you.

Of course, you'll break into a full run, with Bogie barking at your heels.  Keith will squeal into the driveway....and he'll be taking off his shirt.

You'll start yanking at your sweater as you run up the yard, but Keith will have gotten in the house and slammed the door, his pants leg sticking out.

You'll try to open the door, only to find that Keith has chain-locked it.

You'll hear the shower running...and you'll scream out: "KEITH...it's MY turn....."

Bogie will be chasing his tail as you plot your revenge.

Jane

« Reply #140 on: November 19, 2004, 04:29:32 PM »

Jennifer TIVO is different from a DVD.  You set the programming through your TV and all the information is stored there.

Check out the TIVO site it might answer some of your questions.

If you want to hack into TIVO from Canada just follow these directions.
http://www.tivocanada.com/  ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: November 19, 2004, 04:38:19 PM »

And yes, Virginia, the Unseemly Trivia Contest will return tomorrow as promised.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: November 19, 2004, 05:11:30 PM »

Ah, the Merry Searchers have returned to merrily search.  I do hope what they found is up their alley, don't you?

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #143 on: November 19, 2004, 05:23:03 PM »

Stephen Sondheim
John Kander
Jerry Herman

IMHO, Jerry Bock is the greatest living show composer, far superior to all the living greats mentioned so far.  It's a shame he's been unable to get a show on Broadway since 1970.  Four of his works, She Loves Me, The Apple Tree, Fiorello and Fiddler on the Roof are among the greatest musicals ever.  (The idea here is not to knock the recently-departed by comparison, but suffice it to say that CC wouldn't have as many in the top tier.)

But here are a few others: Charles Strouse can weave a pretty good tune.  Some of his shows (All American, Charlie and Algernon) may not be well known today, but they've some wonderful songs in 'em.

I think David Shire is a wonderful composer (and he's part of two worlds that we have fans of on this board - film scoring as well as musicals) and achieves a level of sophistication, now and then, unknown to Kander and Herman.

The aforementioned Harvey Schmidt and Alan Menken certainly have done wonderful work.

Coincidental, ain't it, that I had Lost In Boston III already in the CD player?  Some great Coleman tunes on that - I'd just recommended Big Fat Heart to someone yesterday, and Pink Taffeta Sample's among my favorites.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

François de Paris

« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2004, 05:27:27 PM »

From http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/4439/vera_ellen.html

The reason for her disappearance from the movies is complicated. It is obvious that she became alarmingly thin in her thirties. Her peculiar eating habits are well documented. Always a reclusive person, she started to withdraw from Hollywood as her alleged anorexia took its toll on her. This was also during a time when Hollywood simply stopped making many musicals. Although Vera-Ellen could act as well as dance, MGM didn't take her talents seriously enough to give her many non-dancing parts.
One of the side effects of anorexia is that she began to age rapidly. Many people have asked why Vera-Ellen always covers her neck in "White Christmas" - it is because that is where she started to age. She also had a daughter, Victoria Ellen Rothschild, who died of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. This was very traumatic for her.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 05:38:32 PM by François de Paris »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #145 on: November 19, 2004, 05:58:40 PM »

Good Evening!

Greetings from my parents' house in Fairfax, VA!  -Also known as "The house that has way too much junk food stashed in too many places."   :-X  Alas, no halvah...

It was an easy drive up, and, thankfully, all the southbound traffic snarls and accidents did not affect the northbound traffic.   It looked solid all the way from Springfield down to Fredericksburg - almost 50 miles.

Now I'm just watching ABC's Friday night line-up... Eh...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2004, 06:04:09 PM »

And back to halvah for a second...

Now that I think of it, I haven't had any halvah in a while.  But when I do have it, I usually have it with a with a cup of strong-brewed, full-bodied coffee.  I'm partial to plain/vanilla, but the chocolate covered type is good too.  I did try this variety that had pistachios that was laced with honey - very good.  The mediterranean deli/bakery I got it from was out the last time I was there.  -Guess I now know where I'm going when I get back to Richmond on Sunday! ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: November 19, 2004, 06:16:10 PM »

I like those showers with the multiple-shower heads.  At least the three or four times I've been in one.  Depending upon how they're set up, you shouldn't have to worry about getting your eyes blasted out.

Did you consider one of those European-style shower heads, the ones that are like a foot across, and basically shower you in a rain shower?  Those are nice.  Yes, they may not be the most eco-friendly, water-bill friendly way to outfit your bathroom, but they're very nice.

Like this one:
Make Your Own Luck.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #148 on: November 19, 2004, 06:17:51 PM »

Doesn't the title song to a Cy Coleman-Dorothy Fields musical end "It's sure been a halvah ride"
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Danise

« Reply #149 on: November 19, 2004, 06:29:32 PM »

Agh!  I went to make my post and lost it!  I HATE it when that happens.  I was still trying to post that last DS photo.  

Let’s see, what did I say?

I know I wanted to know what halvah is.

I asked Jason if he had a happy Birthday.

Oh, I said I want to start a new game called “Where in the World is DR Jose?” because I can’t keep up with where he is from day to day!  In California with BK, in Texas, in NYC, in Fairfax, VA!  Is there anywhere in the US you haven’t been?  ???  :D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 06:30:10 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up