Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: NO MORE HALVAH  (Read 26730 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:NO MORE HALVAH
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2004, 12:49:13 PM »

Has anyone ever watched PASSIONS the stupidest show on afternoon tv?  I caught a bit of it today, and the title should change to "Sniveling, Whining."

I watched it for a while when it first started.  It was being billed as the new Dark Shadows, but aside from some new agey wiccan kind of spells and the fact that Juilet Mills' Tabatha was supposed to be over 200 years old, I didn't find the soap sufficiently supernatural to keep my interest.  It did eventually go that way whole hog (there was that Timmy the Doll character and I think there might have been a storyline about aliens), but now I understand that it's just a basic soap now.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2004, 12:51:07 PM »

What I wanna know is, why I've never heard of this "Buck and Truss" show  before!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2004, 12:52:38 PM »

[cut]I think there might have been a storyline about aliens), but now I understand that it's just a basic soap now.

Ah...they've taken the "real life" approach....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2004, 01:01:24 PM »

Page Four Dance (best I could come up with quickly)

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2004, 01:05:45 PM »

I made stuffed cabbage yesterday. The recipe is from Jennie Grossinger's The Art of Jewish Cooking, a paperback that I've been using for decades. The book is held up with rubber bands. If the pages aren't brittle and falling out of the binding, then they're so heavily caked with ancient ingredients that I can barely make out the instructions. I just checked Amazon to see if this classic is still around (it is; used; expensive). I had to smile when I read: "Customers who bought this item also bought ... The Da Vinci Code."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2004, 01:09:54 PM »

DiT-LOL.  I often wonder where they come up with those titles.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2004, 01:10:28 PM »

Page Four Dance (best I could come up with quickly)

This looks as if it could have come from the Pittsford Musicals version of SWEET CHARITY!  

No disrespect to Mr. Coleman, but the above referenced production is one that apparently had a less-than-stellar Charity, which led to my mother-in-law (who is normally demure, and mostly lady-like, and much more theatrically savvy than the following will lead you to believe) to comment:  "If that girl in the black dress came out on stage one more time, I was gonna haul off and slug her!"

Unfortunately, the Dear Partner and I were not yet living here in order to see said performer.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2004, 01:16:40 PM »

I still believe that if PASSIONS had more talented actors, like Juliet Mills and Kathleen Noone...

A) I once had drinks at the Rainbow Room with Juliet Mills, and her more than pulchritudinous husband.  As I recall, it was prior to the RCMH premiere of the restored Garland A STAR IS BORN.  As I also recall, my date (who was a press agent for something that one of them was involved in) and Miss Mills' husband disappeared into the men's room for an exceedingly long time, during which they were either doing lines of cocaine, or each other.  It was the most awkward cocktail I have ever had.

B) I LOVE Kathleen Noone.  Stretching from the somewhat milquetoast, yet always riveting Ellen Cudahy on ALL MY CHILDREN to the conniving Claudia Sumner on KNOT'S LANDING, I think she is always stupendous.  And I am at least glad to know she is working.....

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2004, 01:18:03 PM »

And the Prize goes to:  Dear Reader Ben!

And for the other clues:

In The Adventures of Alice in Wonderland, the Mad Hatter asks the riddle, "Why is a raven like a writing desk?", which he never answers.  Various people, including Carroll, have offered answers.  Stephen King's was, "The higher, the fewer, of course."

In the Star Trek:  the Next Generation episode "The Cost of Living", Lwaxana Troi takes Worf's son, Alexander Rozhenko to a holodeck program, where a philosopher propounds, a propos of nothing, "The higher, the fewer!", a phrase which Alexander uses later to stop an argument.

Alexander was raised by Worf's adoptive parents, his own grandparents, who are played by Thodore Bikel (Baron von Trapp) and Georgia Brown (Nancy).

And now you know.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2004, 01:21:07 PM »

From the NY Times:

Mr. Coleman's musical education began early. Born Seymour Kaufman on June 14, 1929, the son of Russian immigrants, Max and Ida Kaufman, he was raised in a Bronx apartment house owned by his mother. As he later told it, one of the tenants moved out and left a piano behind. The Kaufmans made the piano their own and soon their 4-year-old son made it his. The boy was good enough to attract the attention of the building's milkman, who in turn mentioned the prodigy to his own son's piano teacher. The teacher was impressed and offered classical lessons, with the result that young Coleman (he was still Kaufman then) made his Carnegie Hall debut at age 7.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2004, 01:26:26 PM »

Did I mention that I love BK's Little Me album?  Love it, love it, love it.  A real tribute to Coleman, among other things.  I think I'll go home and listen to Randy Graff's album.

Oh, and favorite Coleman songs.  I would add "You're Nothing Without Me" aka "I'm Nothing Without You", especially the reworked version that Cleo Laine and Mel Torme do ("How much is a bank worth?  A Dankworth is worth so much more.").
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2004, 01:30:05 PM »

I've had two GREAT therapy sessions this week and my elbow smarts like a sumbitch!
Your elbow needs a shrink?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2004, 01:51:25 PM »

And I grew up in Oklahoma, where Will Rogers is something of a demi-god, second only to Mickey Mantle.
It's amazing how much that tidbit explains.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2004, 01:58:36 PM »

Happy Birthday, Jason!

Very sad about Cy COleman. So many fabulous scores. My favorite is SWEET CHARITY, but there's something good in all of them that I've heard. One day I'll get to hear WELCOME TO THE CLUB.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2004, 01:59:06 PM »

DR Jane, Fox is rebroadcasting the HOUSE pilot episode tonight at 8 p.m. EST.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2004, 02:01:14 PM »

One day I'll get to hear WELCOME TO THE CLUB.

Just pray you don't ever have to SEE it.  Dreadful.  Several nice songs, some of which were recorded on albums produced by our own BK, but overall, a dreadful, dreadful evening in the theatre.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2004, 02:02:35 PM »

Question for all you guys placing orders with deepdiscount.  Why do you all need to place 2 or 3 orders?  If it's for 20% off, how come you can't just place one big order?

I'm confused. :)
The first order takes care of the "obvious stuff."  The second order is for all the wish-list stuff that "sensible people" never order.

The third order is for everything else in the catalogue.  What the hell, get it all!

Matt H.

« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2004, 02:07:18 PM »

Last night, Charles Pogue wrote in reference to "Smoke Dreams" from AFTER THE THIN MAN:

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matt H, you're right, of course.  And I did know it.  I do an embarrassingly tacky impression of Penny Singleton's sort of whiny wail on  it (It is Penny Singleton, isn't it?)"

Yes, but it when she was still going by the name Dorothy McNulty.

Jane

« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2004, 02:11:48 PM »

Thanks Matt H.  I don't know if I can get a decent picture on our FOX channel (it is local).  I will try and catch it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2004, 02:19:18 PM »

The first order takes care of the "obvious stuff."  The second order is for all the wish-list stuff that "sensible people" never order.

The third order is for everything else in the catalogue.  What the hell, get it all!

Amen!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2004, 02:20:35 PM »

And the Prize goes to:  Dear Reader Ben!

And for the other clues:

In The Adventures of Alice in Wonderland, the Mad Hatter asks the riddle, "Why is a raven like a writing desk?", which he never answers.  Various people, including Carroll, have offered answers.  Stephen King's was, "The higher, the fewer, of course."

In the Star Trek:  the Next Generation episode "The Cost of Living", Lwaxana Troi takes Worf's son, Alexander Rozhenko to a holodeck program, where a philosopher propounds, a propos of nothing, "The higher, the fewer!", a phrase which Alexander uses later to stop an argument.

Alexander was raised by Worf's adoptive parents, his own grandparents, who are played by Thodore Bikel (Baron von Trapp) and Georgia Brown (Nancy).

And now you know.
Dear DR William: I'd suggest that you might want to get out more, but first let us know when so everyone else can RUN!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2004, 02:20:58 PM »

Just pray you don't ever have to SEE it.  Dreadful.  Several nice songs, some of which were recorded on albums produced by our own BK, but overall, a dreadful, dreadful evening in the theatre.  

That poor show!  It played first in Florida (?), bombed on Broadway with Avery Schreiber and Marilyn Sokol, got revised at Godspeed, played at the York . . .
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2004, 02:21:49 PM »

I tried to order several things from deepdiscount including the new GWTW set, but when I clicked to place the order I got an error message - several times.  The order never went through, and, as it turns out, that was a good thing, since my local DVD store got it in and it's much cheaper there than even deepdiscount.

Jason

« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2004, 02:22:14 PM »

Thanks for the birthday wishes. I had a wonderful birthday surprise this morning - an offer to play Sparky in a production of FOREVER PLAID in Wichita, KS. I'm going to have to turn it down for several reasons - one of those reasons being MTI. :-(

And now I'm off to the Met for another 6 hours of work. Hoo and ray.

Matt H.

« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2004, 02:29:21 PM »

DR Jason, have you ever done FOREVER PLAID before? I know you have to keep your job, but that show is one of the most enjoyable shows to perform of any I have ever done (I was Smudge).

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2004, 02:31:31 PM »

Thanks for the warnings about WELCOME TO THE CLUB. Yes, I know it HAD to have been abysmal landing in that poiisonous Broadway season that also fielded LEGS DIAMOND, CHU CHEM, and STARMITES. Still, I would love to hear the complete score.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2004, 02:32:56 PM »

Peggy Lee and Cy Coleman - what a match! From her discography:

The Best Is Yet To Come
Big Spender
A Doodlin' Song
Hey Look Me Over
I'm Gonna Laugh You Right Out Of My Life
(I'm) In Love Again
I've Got Your Number
My Personal Property
Pass Me By
That's My Style
That's What It Takes
Then Was Then (And Now Is Now)
When In Rome
You Fascinate Me So

Jane

« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2004, 02:40:26 PM »

Jason-nice birthday surprise.  Hope you have more during the day. :D

Michael

« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2004, 02:50:53 PM »

A) I once had drinks at the Rainbow Room with Juliet Mills, and her more than pulchritudinous husband.  As I recall, it was prior to the RCMH premiere of the restored Garland A STAR IS BORN.  As I also recall, my date (who was a press agent for something that one of them was involved in) and Miss Mills' husband disappeared into the men's room for an exceedingly long time, during which they were either doing lines of cocaine, or each other.  It was the most awkward cocktail I have ever had.

Maybe they were having a cocktail or two in the bathroom
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2004, 02:53:53 PM »

Favorite Cy Coleman songs

Our Private World
You There in the Back row sung by Liz Callaway
Where Am I Going?
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up