Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TRIVIAL PURSUIT  (Read 22649 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TRIVIAL PURSUIT
« on: November 19, 2004, 11:59:08 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you will now pursue the trivia, and you will now post until the trivial cows come home.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 12:00:08 AM by bk »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:TRIVIAL PURSUIT
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 12:10:43 AM »

Of ALL of the Unseemly Trivia Contests, I think I've correctly answered ONE...maybe two.  But that's it!  And I never won the prize.  As for today's contest, I have absolutely no idea.  So, since I have to get up very early in the morning and I'm quite chilly (not having the heat turned up to even 60° F does that to me), I'm going to head to bed...after I brush my teeth.  So, good night all, and good luck with the contest!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 12:25:21 AM »

Well, my brain hurt just reading the trivia question, so I'll let some other whiz kid figure it out.  Favourite painters, paintings, and museum are easier.

I'm a big fan of Frazetta, naturally.  My tastes run more to illustrators as opposed to real artiste-type of painters.  Along with Frazetta, I like N.C.Wyeth, Leyendecker (I have spelt that right?)  Maxfield Parrish.  One of my favourite artists who work mostly in pen and ink was Joseph Clement Coll.

My favourite painter is probably Turner.  His stuff is fabulous!  

Fav museums...The British Library (where else can you see the Magna Carta and Scott's diary, etc, etc.) The National  Gallery and its companion the National Portrait Gallery.  I quite liked St. Paul's much more than I thought...Lots of famous British folk are entombed there.  I also like the Museum of London and the Churchill War Rooms...the underground bunker where he lived, slept, and conduct most of the war are fascinating.  And the Tower of London and Theatre Museum in Covent Garden.  I always was very fond of the Art Museum in Cincinnati in Mt. Adams.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 01:01:02 AM »

Worn out - but I sent in a guess.

Painters and paintings....so many choices.

I love the Guggenheim in NYC and National Museum in DC.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 05:21:32 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm listening to a pirated CD of my 2002 Rodgers show, DEAREST ENEMY, and wishing my Dear Friend BK was still recording so I could beg him to record this score.

Speaking of BK, I finished WRITER'S BLOCK last nigh.  I'm not ready to post any review, since I'm still mulling over it, but it is such fun.  

Today we're talking 'bout deviled crabs. Spoo, I meant paintings.  I, too, am a fan of Turner's, but I've always been crazy for the baroque pastry-school-of-painting-and-eroticism in 18th Century France, particularly Boucher and Fragonard, and I think Chardin's 18th Century realism is wonderful, too.  I think John Singer Sargent is my favorite American painter, and in the new 21st Century, I prefer commercial art to "serious" art."  I'd rather have a good children's book illustration or a Broadway poster (not the current crop!) than a contemporary paining.  Well, I might not turn down a Hockney.

My favorite museum in New York is the Frick.  Beautiful home, beautiful collection.  I'm also crazy about the Morgan Library, but mostly for its great Gilbert & Sullivan collection of music, art, and ephemera.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 05:23:58 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 05:52:56 AM »

Favorite museum:  The Frick in New York, hands down.

Favorite painter:  Vermeer.  Each painting of his that I have seen seems pregnant with an untold story full of romance and fascination. The tiny number of his extant works only adds to the sense of intrigue surrounding his oeuvre.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jennifer

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 06:12:25 AM »

DR Jane, thanks for the TivoCanada hack info.  :)

It is very odd to me that you cannot get Tivo in Canada.  But anyhow, I don't need info on Tivo (since it's not available).  I'm looking to find out about dvd recorders.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2004, 06:26:38 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I love the demo CD of Bus and Truck.  I'm just finding the format a little...well...anacronistic.

Let's face it, CDs are a fairly new technology, coming into the market only about 20 years ago.  For a demo recording made in 1969, it would be more accurate to have a bootleg tape.

Unfortunately, the tape wouldn't have been on a cassette as we know them now.  Again, they didn't exist back then.  It would have been on a reel-to-reel tape, one of those bulky items I associate these days with the technonerds and swinging bachelors of the 1960's, preferably to be played on a reel-to-reel tape player with a brushed aluminum and walnut exterior.

Eight-track tapes were never a recording medium, intended more for commercial recordings to be played in pickup trucks.

This CD anachronism glitch can be resolved, of course.  Everyone who has a copy, please get out a pen, preferably one of those Bic ballpoints that loved to leak all over the place, invariably getting on your clothes and impossible to get out unless you knew the ink disolved in hairspray.  Got the pen in hand?  Good!  Now, write across front of the paper disc insert the words "Bootleg Copy."  And circle those words.

Anachronism all gone!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2004, 06:34:06 AM »

Late esterday, JRand posted the following:

Not for the Faint of heart - Miss Julie London blows a take.  

http://www.kittyville.com/wayout/julie.html

I can't resist responding:

Someday she'll sing a song
    And blow a line
The key is set all wrong
    Far from devine
That's when her language turns
    To turpentine
This girl of thine.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2004, 07:07:55 AM »

GOOD MORNING EVERYONE!

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2004, 07:16:00 AM »

Good Morning!
[/font][/size]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2004, 07:19:11 AM »

LOL SWW - and how!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2004, 07:28:43 AM »

MUSEUMS: The Art Institute of Chicago, with it's amazing collection.  The National Archetecture Museum, a work of art in itself.  (Which reminds me, der B, we should try to schedule a museum day with the grandlads soon.  William is old enough to enjoy a museum at last, and Alex will get more out of a trip to DC this time.  Maybe we can leave their parents at home!)

Artists: Caillebotte, Homer, Parrish, we've enjoyed special showings of works by all of them.  It's a habit we got into, when travelling for political conventions, to try to take in a museum if possible.  Of course Calder, but he's technically a sculptor.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2004, 07:54:54 AM »

Mondrian.

Kandinsky.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2004, 08:09:36 AM »

Speaking of blown takes:

In the film of "Billy Rose's 'Jumbo'", Doris Day sings that old standard "Why Can't I?" with Martha Raye.

In the lyrics, which include, "every stallion has his filly, and ever nanny goat has her billy", she continues with the "male-female" comparison:

"Ducks have drakes
and lambs have ewes..."

Obviously, that should be "Rams have ewes," but DoDo sings "lambs" and it got by the likes of Roger Edens who associate-produced the film.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 08:10:03 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2004, 08:13:34 AM »

The trivia question -- just trying to decipher the clue in terms of what it's asking is headache-inducing.

My compliments to whoever figures it out!!!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 08:16:06 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2004, 08:21:06 AM »

Fingers crossed.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2004, 08:47:46 AM »

I must confess, I am not really in to painters or paintings, although I do enjoy some of the work of Sherwin-Williams.  As for museums, I tend to prefer the historical or the theatrical, over the fine art.  Now, give me a couple of days in the Smithsonian, I would enjoy that.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2004, 08:56:11 AM »

JRand54, good  vibes for Holly's vet visit...hope it turns out to be nothing serious!

Also, thanks for posting the Julie London blown take! I hope she didn't used that kind of language around hubby Jack Webb!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2004, 08:58:30 AM »

LOL...where do you think she learned it, MBARNUM?

MBarnum

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2004, 09:00:53 AM »

For my second Bollywood movie of the week I chose something contemporary. EK SE BADHKAR EK is a brand new 2004 comedy....and it is quite funny! I must say that Bollywood comedies really are quite enjoyable...or at least those that I have seen so far!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2004, 09:12:27 AM »

We attempted to watch HOUSE last night but couldn’t get a decent picture.  Instead we popped in our recently arrived DVD from Netflix, GIFT OF LOVE.

It was a beautifully written Hallmark movie based on a true story of a young man far more generous than I would have been.  A very interesting and moving story and presented in an intelligent manner.  I’m pleased to call the screenwriter I admire a friend, our own Panni.

Jane

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2004, 09:16:28 AM »

td, sweet story about the little pup.  I will be watching for the continuing saga.

Panni, Danise has been trying to post a picture and telling us the file is full for two days now.

Charles Pogue and the Lovely Wife, good travel vibes and have a great time.

JRand good pet vibes for Holly.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2004, 09:20:22 AM »

Thanks for the Holly vibes DRJANE & MBARNUM.

Hopefully MRBK will able to post photos of his new artwork acquisitions later today.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2004, 09:26:03 AM »

S. Woody is thinking too much, methinks.  However, there is nothing anachronistic about a demo recording for a musical of the sixties - they all did them and they usually had covers just like this one.  They were, of course, on LP, but like the label (Bayview?) that has been putting  out these types of demo recordings, a CD transfer now would be nothing unusual.

I've received on trivia guess thus far and I'm shocked that we already have a winner.  But keep the guesses coming (if one person can figure it out, so can others) because if there are multiple correct guesses, we put all the winners into our haineshisway.com electronic hat and we randomly pick a High Winner.

I also had two wonderful e-mails awaiting me this morning: One from elmore, who had lovely things to say about Writer's Block, and one from Marcy, the Marketing Lady, who absolutely loved the book.  I am, needless to say, jiggy, oh, yes, I am jiggy.  I would post their thoughts but they included (naturally) spoilers galore - hopefully they can both write something for us to read (an amazon review) that will be spoiler-less, as their comments were wonderful.  elmore especially had an interesting bit of psychoanalysis about the plot which I'd never thought of but which makes total sense to me.  It was funny.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2004, 09:27:15 AM »

Now, might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  She of the Evil Eye came a half-hour earlier than usual and I was not prepared and had to dress in a hurry.  But I'm not leaving before I was going to leave and she can give me the Evil Eye all she likes.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2004, 09:28:38 AM »

Off to rehearsal - pray for Rosemary's Baby!

Jane

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2004, 09:28:46 AM »

The door bell is ringing must go or I would answer today’s question.  I also must brave the cold and frost to walk Echo.  I have way too much to do today.

You are welcome JRand.

I couldn’t open the Julie London blooper.  From what I could tell I’m not sure I want to.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2004, 09:44:32 AM »

Well, I had looked forward to starting WRITER'S BLOCK today, so I'm not even going to attempt to figure out the Trivia Question. I'm assuming DR JRand got the answer, and many, many congratulations to him!!  :D

After reading for awhile and making some phone calls, I'm going to put in a DVD movie, the first in about a week. I'm planning now for it to be WALK ON THE WILD SIDE.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2004, 09:51:51 AM »

And speaking of art museums (musea) I'm about to head over to the Museum of Modern Art - it's reopening today -- can't wait to see the Mondrians, Van Goghs, wanna see the Pollacks. Wanna see the BUILDING!! I expect the crowds will be ginormous, but it's staying open until 10 pm so I think I'll get in. It's for FREE today - used to cost about $12 as I remember, but going to be $20 from now on. Still, small price for a heck of a daylong experience!

Been working my little hynie off on JEWISH THIGHS for my off-Broadway opening. Still have no press person. Suggestions?? I'm almost ready to hire someone.

Jose, I'm so glad you said YES!!

Off I go now to MOMA!

(Back in LA again Wednesday through Sunday...)
PennyO
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up