Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: TRIVIAL PURSUIT  (Read 22637 times)

td

• td
Re:TRIVIAL PURSUIT
« Reply #150 on: November 20, 2004, 09:12:22 PM »

Maybe Robert Wise should've had Marsha Mason dance on the rooftop.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #151 on: November 20, 2004, 09:19:05 PM »

How's that for a PAGE SIX DANCE?

Michael

« Reply #152 on: November 20, 2004, 09:20:47 PM »

Maybe Robert Wise should've had Marsha Mason dance on the rooftop.

Maybe Robert Wise should have retired from film making after the Andromeda Strain and not have made Two People, The Hidenberg, Audrey Rose, Star Trek: The Boring Picture and Rooftops
Never stop dreaming.

François de Paris

« Reply #153 on: November 20, 2004, 09:21:31 PM »

Okay I misunderstood. I just wanted to say when I was younger I thought that was the name of the musee. And could not understand why a building would be called Apple Juice. Of course later I found out it was Jeu de Paume!

I'll drink to that! Some jus de pomme, of course! :D

td

• td
« Reply #154 on: November 20, 2004, 09:22:40 PM »

Maybe Robert Wise should have retired from film making after the Andromeda Strain and not have made Two People, The Hidenberg, Audrey Rose, Star Trek: The Boring Picture and Rooftops

I like THE HINDENBERG AND STAR TREK.   :-\

François de Paris

« Reply #155 on: November 20, 2004, 09:23:48 PM »

For DR Elmore - the guestroom (Abie's the guest at the moment)...

So, ok! I'm not looking! I'm not looking! ;D

François de Paris

« Reply #156 on: November 20, 2004, 09:25:15 PM »

I like THE HINDENBERG AND STAR TREK.   :-\

So?
Who said you had "good tastes"?? :o ;)

François de Paris

« Reply #157 on: November 20, 2004, 09:27:42 PM »

Well, maybe he needed the money!
He was the director but, did he write those movies?
Did he really choose those movies too?

Hmmm.... so many questions, so little time! :)

td

• td
« Reply #158 on: November 20, 2004, 09:29:04 PM »

So?
Who said you had "good tastes"?? :o ;)

Hmmm. . . .now, I'll never tell.  But I can assure you, I taste neither like a musty museum or apple juice.   ;)

td

• td
« Reply #159 on: November 20, 2004, 09:29:39 PM »

Well, maybe he needed the money!
He was the director but, did he write those movies?
Did he really choose those movies too?

Hmmm.... so many questions, so little time! :)

Nobody said he was a WISEman.    :o

François de Paris

« Reply #160 on: November 20, 2004, 09:31:21 PM »

Hmmm. . . .now, I'll never tell.  But I can assure you, I taste neither like a musty museum or apple juice.   ;)

I'll let TCB answer that! :D

François de Paris

« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2004, 09:32:43 PM »

How about.... a musty juice or an apple museum?

Nah! :)

François de Paris

« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2004, 09:33:43 PM »

Nobody said he was a WISEman.    :o

His wife.... maybe?!

td

• td
« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2004, 09:35:42 PM »

Francois, je t'aime!

Bon soir, toute le monde!

Kerry

« Reply #164 on: November 20, 2004, 09:39:30 PM »

I need to go to Trader Joe's and the grocery store and the postoffice--- none of which i want to do and have managed to avoid all day.
  I had a job interview today that went well, and it's a job I think I'd like, so keep your fngers crossed.  Unfortunately I won't know anything for at least a week.  Meanwhile, there's no payvheck coming in.  I'll have to check withthe the temp law place on Monday and see if I can find a temporary legal position--the oay should be better than the Gap-- I hope.

Don't get me started on paintings and museums.  There are WAY too many favorites.   I grew up reading art books and admiring painters and illustrators, so I had/have a fairly vast knowledge and exposure to many types of art.  I have been lucky enough to see most of my favorite paintings in person.  Serendipity has played a great part in this.  Some of these works have made me cry because they were so wonderful.  There's a favorite Manet in London that i haven't seen yet and a few Childe Hassams in Boston that I plan on seeing in the next year or so.

Once I see Bruce's collection, my life will be complete.
I like boat races.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #165 on: November 20, 2004, 09:46:27 PM »

It's raining in the City of Studio. The first rain in my new abode. Very cozy. I think it's time I called it a day - early, I know. But when I took Abie out just now, I discovered that I had left the car unlocked and my keys in my front door. Methinks I need some rest.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #166 on: November 20, 2004, 09:53:01 PM »

~~~~~~~~~~~ to DR Kerry.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 09:53:54 PM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #167 on: November 20, 2004, 09:54:05 PM »

Good job vibes to DRKERRY.

Good cat, Freddy!

Rooftop dances?  "Why Can't You Behave" in KISS ME KATE!

I found EYES WITHOUT A FACE to have some of the most poetic and disturbing images I have seen in a long time.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.....the Indianapolis Museum of Art is not very big.  It has some nice things - but most of the exhibits are traveling things.  I think it is eclectic by nature and not by choice.  

Like DRJOSE I love the National Museum in DC.  They have a wonderful collection of impressionists.  It is amazing to stand in front of a Monet or Manet and just realize you are sharing space with it.  It was at the National that I also saw the ONLY daVinci I am likely to see in my life.  It was nearly metaphysical to stand near it....a very small landscape.

For museums alone, as I have said before - the theatre collection at the Museum of the City of New York is just breathtaking.  It is a rotating collection.  I saw some original costumes from Mary Martin's Peter Pan and South Pacific....and Yul Brynner's King and I (which makes me think of the K/I 'what if' in WRITER'S BLOCK).

I think it was MATTH who mentioned GUERNICA.  I also love that whole school of Spanish painting....Moorish or Toledo....not sure at the moment of the name of it....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #168 on: November 20, 2004, 09:54:44 PM »

WOW td....and Janis Ian inscription once removed!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #169 on: November 20, 2004, 10:06:34 PM »

It's raining in the City of Studio. The first rain in my new abode. Very cozy. I think it's time I called it a day - early, I know. But when I took Abie out just now, I discovered that I had left the car unlocked and my keys in my front door. Methinks I need some rest.

Twice this week I forgot to lock my car door!  I hate it when that happens. :-\

Well, I must confess that I didn't watch "Longtime Companion," as I had announced earlier that I would.  As soon as I turned on the TV, I watched a bit of the tape in my VCR and saw that there were two episodes of "South Park" and an episode of "Reno 911" that I hadn't seen.  I watched those to get them out of the way, so I wouldn't be distracted with "LC."  Anyway, while watching "SP" & "Reno 911," I made myself some dinner (a rice and chicken frozen dish...delish) and piddled about.  By this time, it was almost 8:00 and I remembered that the re-broadcast of last night's "Star Trek:  Enterprise" was being shown!  I forgot to turn on my VCR last night.  After that was over, I went next door to my sister's and had pumpkin cheesecake.  NOW I'm home and I'm GOING to watch "Longtime Companion" that I got from Netflix because I've never seen it all the way through.  

As for the Topic of the Day:  I got a D+ in Art Appreciation in college.  'Nuff said. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #170 on: November 20, 2004, 10:27:52 PM »

I have a friend who comes from a "wealthy" family, and they sort of have automatic renewals when it comes to their Metropolitan Opera subscriptions.  Unfortunately, most of the current family does not like going to the opera.  Fortunately, however, they give away their tickets to those who do love the opera.  -And, as a bonus, they actually have the tickets that qualify for a partial tax deduction!
A primo reason for keeping those opera tix...They've got primo seat locations!  Imagine what you'd have to pay a scalper for those tix.  The good news is that your friend's family has learned what the word "generous" means.  
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #171 on: November 20, 2004, 10:32:22 PM »

Who has gone out with friends or family where they paid and left the tip, and then you had to sneak back and leave an additional tip?  I have done that too many times.  Usually because I didn’t feel the tip was enough, but on several occasions out of embarrassment for the small tip in relationships to the obnoxious demand for service above and beyond the call of duty.  Obnoxious is the key word here.

I usually have to do this when I dine out with my parents.  My mom has a bad habit of leaving just the minimum when she offers to pay for the meal - which, nowadays, is not often.  Even my brothers get into the act now - we all check the total, and then we all end up leaving a little extra for our server.  Sometimes, all four of us end up leaving a little extra!  Lucky server!  -And if I happen to know our server is an actor/actress... :D

However, in my mom's defense, she does tip generously when the service has been impeccable.  I just get a little uncomfortable when the tip that is left on the table is less than the minimum wage the server would have been paid for the time we spent "with" him/her.  Myself, if I'm eating at a diner type place, I always tip at least $2.00 if my tab is under $5.00, and at least $3.00 if my tab is under $10.00.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #172 on: November 20, 2004, 10:36:15 PM »

In other news, I'm kind of feeling headachey and nauseous right now.  -It couldn't have been the Cookies 'n' Cream Ice Cream I had earlier...  Or it could just be my body's way of telling me to get to bed soon.... Nah...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #173 on: November 20, 2004, 10:50:04 PM »

Jane - It can be very difficult to find good Chinese food, I think.  Some of it is really BAD.  I have to watch out for MSG, too, which gives me a sick headache.  Glad you have found a place you like.

MSG has a bad rap, imo.  It is intended to be a flavor enhancer, and works wonders...when used in moderation.  Unfortunately, as with that other flavor enhancer, salt, there are those who use it with a heavy hand.  Most Chinese restaurants will omit MSG if asked.  If they don't, don't go back and tell people (including the management) why.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #174 on: November 20, 2004, 10:52:11 PM »

OH... and tonight's Saturday Night Live had to be one of the worst ones I've ever seen.  I kept flipping back and forth between SNL and the Discovery Channel just in case there happened to be one good skit.  But from moment one, it was just plain bad.  The opening monologue bombed, even the TV Fun House cartoon was not funny.

West Coasters you have been warned!

-On a related note, I happened to come across some program on the Independent Film Channel last night, something called "Dinner for Five"- I think.  Basically, it was five industry people - actors, directors, writers - just talking about random topics while eating dinner.  There was even a waiter walking through the shot every now and then.  Well, SNL happened to come up.  Molly Shannon was on the show last night and she commented - in response to a comment made by someone else at the table - that SNL only seems to work when the people on the show bring their own stable of characters for the writers to work with and work around.  It's when the writers have to create everything for the actors/actresses/comedians/comediennes that the show, in the words of one of the panelists, "sucks".  Makes sense to me.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #175 on: November 20, 2004, 11:03:26 PM »

Who has gone out with friends or family where they paid and left the tip, and then you had to sneak back and leave an additional tip?
A: Hi!  B: Hello!  C: Good Evening!

A friend of ours from Laguna Beach was scheduled to appear on a local cable show to promote a Log Cabin event.  Since the cable show was being taped close to where der B and I lived, in Long Beach, he and his mate invited us to join them at the taping and to have dinner with them at a restaurant of our choosing.  The dinner was good, our host's tip was not quite so.  He left a ten per cent tip, a true no-no in our book (service has to be truly wretched to get less than 20% from us, and we don't blame the server for screw-ups in the kitchen).  So, yes, we had to go back to correct the tip.

Given our host's Laguna Beach house, which was a case of the duo buying the lot with one house on site, tearing down that house and building a second house to spec from scratch, I can't believe the behavior was based on a lack of funds.  Nor can it have been on a lack of knowledge about tipping.  This was simply a case of bad manners, from a man whose manners are normally impeccable.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #176 on: November 20, 2004, 11:04:29 PM »

I kept flipping back and forth between SNL and the Discovery Channel just in case there happened to be one good skit.
I LOVE the skits on the Discovery Channel!  They are the BOMB!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #177 on: November 20, 2004, 11:15:03 PM »

I'm back, and to prove it I'm here.

So, today we had a gloriously glorious sunny day - beach weather really.  Tonight, I went to the screening room I occasionally go to to see a movie (Kinsey).  After the movie we're told there will be another surprise feature.  But, I turned on the heater in the Jacuzzi before I left so that when I got back by ten I could go directly into it.  So, I'm ready to leave and I open the door and it is pouring rain (and I mean POURING rain).  So, I stayed and watched about eighty minutes of the surprise feature - eight minutes was all I could take of Beyond the Sea.  It's one of the oddest movies I've ever sat through - so misbegotten on so many levels.  Obviously, Mr. Spacey decided to do his film in a highly stylized fashion (go-go boots and hip-huggers) and it just defeats the story he's trying to tell.  In every scene of the film you can figure out the "influence" - what movie he wants to emulate.  Sometimes All that Jazz, sometimes Fellini, sometimes Young Girls of Rochefort and on and on.  Well, you know what - give me The Jolson Story any day.  I would have enjoyed seeing a straightforward biopic, but I guess that's not possible these days.  Anyway, more in tomorrow's notes.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #178 on: November 20, 2004, 11:29:15 PM »

OK... I give up!... Uncle!... Basta!... -At least for tonight...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up