Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: I YAM WHAT I YAM  (Read 19435 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:I YAM WHAT I YAM
« Reply #120 on: November 22, 2004, 08:13:52 PM »

At least over the next few days I will be able to resume WRITER'S BLOCK and also see some DVD films and some of the stuff I've been recording since Sunday.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #121 on: November 22, 2004, 08:14:47 PM »

Guess I'm going to call it a night. Hope everyone enjoys the rest of his evening.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #122 on: November 22, 2004, 08:19:50 PM »

DR Jane, I have not seen that movie (Les Invasions Barbare).  What did they say in it about health care?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #123 on: November 22, 2004, 08:25:25 PM »

I agree with you as well, Dan The Man, 100% but the networks have a habit of cutting scenes from these beloved shows to make more room for the dreaded commercials.  They don’t care it they run over with a sports program, i.e.  “We now join our regularly scheduled program already in progress” and that ticks me off.  

DR Danise, do you remember the infamous Heidi incident?  Way back in 1968, NBC cut away from the final minutes of a tight football game to air a TV movie version of Heidi.  Viewers were not happy and a network never again cut away from a football game.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #124 on: November 22, 2004, 08:29:58 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Pepsi Holiday Spice Update ... Pepsi Holiday Spice Update ... Pepsi Holiday Spice Update ...[/move]

I went to get a sandwich at Wawa today and planned to pick up a bottle of PHS to go with it.  They were sold out.  On the way home I stopped at another Wawa and a 7-11, but PHS was sold out at both places.  Amazing.  Or maybe not.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #125 on: November 22, 2004, 08:43:20 PM »

DR Danise, do you remember the infamous Heidi incident?  Way back in 1968, NBC cut away from the final minutes of a tight football game to air a TV movie version of Heidi.  Viewers were not happy and a network never again cut away from a football game.
It's been written into the contracts that they cannot cut away, because of Heidi.  Boys in tight fitting uniforms are more important than little girls in dirndls, don't'cha know.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 08:46:20 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2004, 08:45:58 PM »

The question is why can't you start the book, dear Jane?

Glad people seem to be enjoying the book!  Any anachronism is indeed part of the universe of the book and, unless I'm not aware of one that wasn't, were all intentional.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #127 on: November 22, 2004, 08:49:08 PM »

And since this is not one of those board where such anachronisms are ripped to shreds, enough said.

Although it was fun spotting it.   ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #128 on: November 22, 2004, 08:49:16 PM »

I keep thinking these are the POPEYE notes!

Thanks for the captions!  Hehehehe.

What terrifically terrific painting DRBRUCE.  Wow....I think I like the "Redbook" illustration most of all, and that little gal looks a bit like Daisy Mae in the other picture.  And of course the blonde that died like she lived, hard and fast....whooooooo....she would be right at home on the cover of a Duran Duran album!

I think I will watch CIRCUS WORLD with Mr John Wayne tonight.  GRAND PRIX is wrapping up right now on TCM.  Another of my favorite of the big in screen size movies.

Oh, I think Amazon is having a 30% off sale on the Criterion collection.  My sister came by today (did I tell you that Jason has delayed his departure until December 11?) and what should catch her eye but the EYES WITHOUT A FACE DVD.....she immediately asked to watch it....and so off it went down the street.   Better that she watch it now than when she is living alone!

DRDANISE watch out if the bus driver looks at you tomorrow and says: "Room for one more, honey!"
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

td

• td
« Reply #129 on: November 22, 2004, 08:49:33 PM »

I was so underwhelmed with the second MATRIX movie that I skipped the third one altogether.

ditto
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #130 on: November 22, 2004, 08:50:16 PM »

Yes DRMBARNUM I would love to see that Bollywood mystery!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: November 22, 2004, 08:52:00 PM »

If anyone has ANY questions about the book, please e-mail me - I love discussing this one and unlike the Kritzer books we can't discuss it out loud.  Shayne wrote me some interesting observations, so I love to hear what you all think.  And do write an amazon review if you have time, but be REALLY careful of spoilers.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #132 on: November 22, 2004, 08:53:20 PM »

I keep thinking these are the POPEYE notes!

Just so ya know, Popeye officially adopts Swee-Pea on Thursday.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #133 on: November 22, 2004, 08:54:43 PM »

I have my ASK BK question ready now and I hope I don't forget it before Wednesday.....

DRMATTH break a leg on your opening.....be sure to send us a link for the photos.

Yes we at last today finished the choreography for MRS CRACHIT - I had a lovely square dance hand-over-hand during the finale, and the director said...."Gee, I always thought this could be like ....well remember when all the cartoon characters came out on stage in a line singing on the Bugs Bunny show?  Kinda like that...."  Hmmmmmmm.....well, a nice diagonal line crossing sequence ending with a kick line, hands out - left, right, and scooooooooooooooop......  And then they stood there and all I could think of to say was...."I hope I get....I hope I get.....how many people does he need....."  So I sang that everyone joined in and we finished that number from A CHORUS LINE.....    Oh well....it's an ending!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #134 on: November 22, 2004, 08:58:39 PM »

Good Evening!

Well... Let's just say that I'm looking forward to the first orchestra rehearsal next Thursday.  I just can't seem to get my mind and body in gear to do much of anything right now.  -And the abysmally gray weather today did nothing to help my "motivation".  But tomorrow is another day...

:P
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #135 on: November 22, 2004, 09:06:44 PM »

DR JRand - How close are you to Ft. Wayne, IN?  Apparently, both Richmond, VA, and Ft. Wayne, IN, are dealing with some sort of natural - or supernatural - phenomena.  There is an area on the north side of town that's been experiencing these "booms".  They're loud enough to be a shock, and they even cause shaking houses and such.  So far, there's been no damage reported, but they've still found no source of the "booms".  They have yet to be caught on tape, but all the news outlets in town now have news trucks out in the area hoping to catch a "boom" on tape, audio and otherwise.  And, apparently, Ft. Wayne is dealing with the same thing right now.

They've had a town meeting.  They've called in the US Geological Survey.  They've called in the military - sometimes they do test flights of aircrafts in the area, and they've caused sonic booms, but not this time.  They've even called in the ATF.  Who knows?!?!?
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #136 on: November 22, 2004, 09:58:48 PM »

Great paintings!

Well, i bought my third rug for the office (returned the other two) - and although I'm thoroughly underwhelmed by this one, I think I'll keep it. It fits the space and does the job of muting the noise of my office chair rolling back and forth. And I'm tired of lugging carpets.
I also did a big shopping for a Thanksgiving feast, had a phone meeting and continued clearing the office. Tomorrow I have another meeting - this one not on the phone. But I can walk to it, as the producer happens to live on this very street.
May I add that I'm VERY tired.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: November 22, 2004, 10:13:30 PM »

During my walk earlier this evening, I happened to give a closer look at the McDonald's that seems to have gotten remodeled in record time over the past two weeks.  -Alas, the rain has slowed down the progress of the sidewalks and landscaping, but inside, everything looks done.  It's looks pretty nice.  New drink area.  New sitting areas.  And, there's even a fake but working fireplace!  Cozy!
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #138 on: November 22, 2004, 10:59:37 PM »

My desk is very nice and clean -- because everything that was on it is on the floor. I'm too zonked to finish cleaning tonight. Tomorrow, if i get up early, I can take about an hour to tidy, then I have to get ready for my afternoon meeting (which needs much preparation). Sigh.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: November 22, 2004, 11:24:40 PM »

Denizens!  That's what we need - denizens.  Last week we had denizens and the denizens done disappeared.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #140 on: November 22, 2004, 11:24:57 PM »

Here, Abie!  Help Panni clean her office!  See all those papers?  Can you make them into interesting stacks?  Good dog!

;D 8) ::)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: November 22, 2004, 11:29:38 PM »

I'm tired... I'm sleepy... Which is a good thing tonight...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #142 on: November 22, 2004, 11:29:50 PM »

Denizens?  I'm in the den!

So is Fletcher, who for some reason is on a blanket on the floor instead of sleeping with der B.  When I finally go to bed, he'll probably follow me and decide to cuddle.  Of course, Buster will want to cuddle, too.  (He's currently on the couch in the living room.)  Bonnie will follow, of course (couch potato #2).  And Zeus is already on my bed.

This is one crowded household.  It's a good thing we love dogs.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #143 on: November 22, 2004, 11:43:13 PM »

Good vibes for DRPANNI's meeting.

I keep forgetting to say - apropos the notes - I enjoy the DVD of LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDORED THING very much.  As MRBK notes, a good cast, lovely color, and music to die for!

Jennifer Jones was never more lovely or vulnerable IMO - and William Holden was perfectly cast as the war correspondent, Mark Elliot.  The book by Han Suyin goes into great detail - and if you love the movie, read the book.  But it must be seen in widescreen....otherwise in the last few shots NO BUTTERFLIES!!!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #144 on: November 22, 2004, 11:45:45 PM »

And...

Anyone who has met der Brucer and myself will agree, neither of us is at all effeminate.  All the same, we're easily spotted as a couple anyplace we go.  We had another example of that on Saturday, while we were out shopping.

Der B needed a new desk chair, since the one he brought with us from Long Beach had collapsed beyond usability, and none of the other chairs in the house seated him the way he wanted.  So, while exploring a different WalMart, this one a Super WalMart in Camden, near Dover, he checked what they had in the way of office/desk chairs.

They had exactly what he wanted, but there was a catch.  The stock of chairs, in boxes, was way up high, much higher than I could reach, and we weren't going to try having one of us climb on the other's shoulders.  Fortunately, one of the store staff spotted that we needed help, and went to get a ladder.

Box and chair delivered to ground level, he turned to us and asked "So, which one of you is the Professor?"

"He is," I replied.  "I'm the cook."

The staffmember grinned and said "I kind of figured that with you two."

He went one way, we were going in another, when I commented to der B, "I just had a Gilligan's Island moment there.  What would he have said if I'd told him you're the Professor and I'm Mary Ann?"

Der B was walking in front of me, but I could tell he was rolling his eyes.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #145 on: November 22, 2004, 11:53:44 PM »

After I left work tonight, I went to Taco Del Mar for their Super Veggie Burrito (and it's double punch Monday!).  Quite delish, as always.  Then I went to Costco and picked up a 3-CD set of Big Band Christmas music.  I also got a box of 45 bows and 500 feet of ribbon for Christmas packages.  It's not that I have 45 packages to wrap, but the American Cancer Society Relay For Life team that I'm on is going to wrap gifts at Barnes and Noble in a week and a half.  B&N doesn't supply bows (and we've decided not to use ribbon...takes too long).  The gift-wrapping is by donation and the American Cancer Society gets all the money!

Anyway, after that, I went to my sister's (she bought the ribbon from me...I don't need it) and she, my niece and I played a new (to us) game called Set.  You have to match cards based on the shape (oval, diamond or squiggle), color (green, red or purple) and whether it's a solid color, striped or just an outline of the shape.  You can also make a set if all three elements are different.  It can be quite challenging or easy.  But fun.  Not as fun as Phase 10, but still a game that we'll play again.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #146 on: November 22, 2004, 11:55:56 PM »

BK, those are great paintings.  I don't know if this has been asked (or answered) before, but if you have both the original artwork and a copy of the book, do you display them together?  I'm sure that it's quite nice if they can be together...if that's what you like.

That was my evening.  I'm signing off.  I've decided (quite on a whim) that I'd like to try to be in bed before midnight.  I never get enough sleep and I want to get out of the (very old) habit.  So, good night all! (even though it's pretty close to the changing of the topic ::))
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up