Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLASHBACK  (Read 18732 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:FLASHBACK
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2004, 09:53:18 PM »

And one for Mahler.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2004, 09:55:10 PM »

Page Five Dance:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2004, 10:00:17 PM »

Almost one in the morning and I'm not a bit sleepy.  This is the results of deciding to go ahead and slug down a 20 oz. bottle of Pepsi Holiday Spice tonight even though I full well knew it contains caffeine.  
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2004, 10:09:57 PM »

I've had complaints from certain quarters about the paucity of my posts of late. Oh well. What with going to Europe and moving, I do believe I have a legitimate excuse or two.
Re today's posts... I happen to like Is That All There Is? I like it a lot.
I didn't know there were any Lili St. Cyr movies available for home viewing. I've written a movie about her. On the other hand, I think I'd rather keep her in my imagination. It's not a biopic, so it doesn't really matter.
Certain quarters may not like this... but I'm zonked. This post may just be it for tonight.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2004, 10:12:29 PM »

I've never heard of Pepsi Holiday Spice.  What does it taste like?  Is it a regional delicacy?  Does it come in diet?

So, I was reading on the TV screen in the elevator tonight of the antioxidant properties of white tea.  I've never heard of white tea, although I distinctly remember when I first heard of red tea.  Any truth to these antioxidant claims?  I don't know from antioxidants.  It's such a long word.  What are they supposed to do?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #125 on: November 21, 2004, 10:14:20 PM »

This will come as no news to most of the Dear Readers out there in the dark, but Miss Barbara Cook surely is a national treasure.  Her voice has mellowed to gold, and her interpretive powers remain unparallelled.  Her Broadway concert, which I heard tonight, covers a broad range of top-notch material from the "Golden Age" of Broadway--with most of the program comprised of music that Miss Cook either introduced or sang in revivals and/or tours.  She has a lovely sense of humor and clearly is energized by connecting with an audience.  The most refreshing aspect of seeing Miss Cook in concert is the genuine appreciation she articulates for the opportunities she has experienced over the course of her lengthy career.  So many of today's celebrities could learn quite a lesson from Miss Cook in this regard.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2004, 10:24:59 PM »

This will come as no news to most of the Dear Readers out there in the dark, but Miss Barbara Cook surely is a national treasure.  Her voice has mellowed to gold, and her interpretive powers remain unparallelled.  Her Broadway concert, which I heard tonight, covers a broad range of top-notch material from the "Golden Age" of Broadway--with most of the program comprised of music that Miss Cook either introduced or sang in revivals and/or tours.  She has a lovely sense of humor and clearly is energized by connecting with an audience.  The most refreshing aspect of seeing Miss Cook in concert is the genuine appreciation she articulates for the opportunities she has experienced over the course of her lengthy career.  So many of today's celebrities could learn quite a lesson from Miss Cook in this regard.

Who is currently accompanying her?  Or was it a symphony concert?

-I just can't imagine what she went through after Wally Harper died earlier this year.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2004, 10:29:51 PM »

Who is currently accompanying her?  Or was it a symphony concert?

-I just can't imagine what she went through after Wally Harper died earlier this year.

Don Rebic was on the piano.  The bassist--surprisingly and unfortunately--went uncredited both in the program and by Miss Cook.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #128 on: November 21, 2004, 10:34:26 PM »

I believe Lili St. Cyr did an opus called Son of Sinbad with Dale Roberston and, if memory serves, an amusing Vincent Price as Omar Kayyam.  The son of Sinbad meets up with the daughters of the 40 Thieves.  I can't remember if Lili is one of these or just some babe in the caliph's palace who does a mean dance of the seven veils or some such nonsense.  And nonsense it is, but rather entertaining with lots of lovely cheesecake.  I believe the Forty Thieves' hangout was the ever-durable Bronson Caves right around the corner from where I live.  I don't think Lili had any lines.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2004, 10:35:09 PM »

I've never heard of Pepsi Holiday Spice.  What does it taste like?  Is it a regional delicacy?  Does it come in diet?

So, I was reading on the TV screen in the elevator tonight of the antioxidant properties of white tea.  I've never heard of white tea, although I distinctly remember when I first heard of red tea.  Any truth to these antioxidant claims?  I don't know from antioxidants.  It's such a long word.  What are they supposed to do?

Pepsi Holiday Spice is being rolled out this year for the first time, I think.  It's a national promotion.  And I don't believe it comes in diet.  As for the taste, I'll have to wait for DR Dan (the Man) to answer that question, since I have yet to find it on my local shelves.  -But I have been seeing the commercials on TV.

-I'm guessing a touch of cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg.

As for white tea...  It's tea brewed from particular varieties of teas, and from very young leaves which have not been allowed to oxidize (and turn brown, dark, etc.).   It's more like a very pale green tea.  And like green teas, the leaves are handpicked from the top of the bush.  Antioxidants help fight the free-radicals in your body - basically they help fight some of the pollutants in the body.  Vitamins C and E are "related".

Here's link to Stash Teas:

Stash Teas

There are a bunch of links to click on for info.  *And Stash Teas Bed & Breakfast Promotion is also worth checking out.  Some good deals!
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2004, 10:39:41 PM »

Right now, I'm watching "Cirque du Soleil:  Midnight Sun" on Bravo.  The Cirque du Soleil shows never cease to amaze me...and they never will!  What these people can do with their bodies is nothing less than absolutely amazing!  And the costumes and make up!  I haven't seen every Cirque du Soleil DVD, but I've got the 13 that are available from Netflix in my queue, including three for "Fire Within" (the TV show) and two different versions of "Alegria"...one from 1998 and one from 2003!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: November 21, 2004, 10:53:11 PM »

Don Rebic was on the piano.  The bassist--surprisingly and unfortunately--went uncredited both in the program and by Miss Cook.

I wonder if it was John Burr.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #132 on: November 21, 2004, 10:58:32 PM »

Is it really worth keeping print issues of Gourmet magazine anymore?  (I suspect they'll go into the recycling bin.)
I lost count of how many boxes of Bon App and others I have stacked up downstairs.  Der B wouldn't let me throw out anything, and it all came East with the move.  (Heck, at least there's that much less weight on the Western Continental Shelf, so it'll be a little longer before the Big One strikes!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2004, 11:04:19 PM »

"Allegria" is the only Cirque du Soleil  I have seen live. Amazing. Have seen a few of the made for TV shows which are magic.  Hope to see another performance in Melbourne in 2005.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #134 on: November 21, 2004, 11:21:19 PM »

Pepsi Holiday Spice has some ginger and cinnamon added.  It's not a regional thing, it's a holiday thing.  Holiday Spice, get it?

Sorry to hear your television watching is restricted to the elevator.  The drink is being advertised all over the place.  Little elves trying to drive the big truck, too-big-for-his-britches announcer doing the voiceover, that sort of thing.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 11:24:54 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #135 on: November 21, 2004, 11:29:16 PM »

And for more info, including recipes, nutritional content and actual content:

http://holidayspice.pepsiworld.com/home.php
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #136 on: November 21, 2004, 11:33:25 PM »

Or just click on Holiday in DR SWW's post above.. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: November 21, 2004, 11:38:03 PM »

OH!

DR SWW - Did you like Alton Brown's Stuffing/Dressing episode?  My only quibble was with the amount of stuffing.  I like stuffing.  And I was hoping he would have come up with an alternative out-of-the-bird variation.  -I like it when it gets crunchy.

-And good luck with the ham.  I come and go with Smithfield ham.  Sometimes it almost tastes fishy from all the salinity.  Other times, I just can't get enough of it.  Oh, and as for soaking it, a large food-grade bucket works well, or a cooler.  I've used a cooler before, and it's nice just opening up the drain plug to drain off the water.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up