Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: ONE DAY AT A TIME  (Read 20565 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:ONE DAY AT A TIME
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2004, 11:27:24 AM »

I think I've just come up with the perfect definition of "redundant": watching the Food Network on Thanksgiving.

On the other hand, just to prove how the seasons flow in this commercial age, their entire schedule for the day after Thanksgiving is all about...CHRISTMAS!  

:-\

Well, just wait till you get to watch Food Network during Christmas!! ;)

-I am amazed at how many times they've broadcast that "All-Star Thanksgiving" program.  And they even have a 60 minute cut of it in addition to the original 90 minutes version.  And, of course, the program itself is redundant since some of the cooking segments are from corresponding episodes of each of the chef's who are featured on the show.

However, they have begun the Ina Garten's new Paris series, and that was a nice break from all the Turkey Day programming the other day.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2004, 11:30:33 AM »

Hi all, quickly browsing the posts from Sunday, Monday and today while between classes at school, will read them more thoroughly later today.  One of the records I discovered when I went through my records the other day was "Redhead", I'm not sure I listened to it before, I'll listen when I have a chance.

DR Noel, you mentioned something about "Zombie Prom" recently.  I'm set to md that show this fall, besides the cast recording, I know nothing about the show.  Can you shed some light or some opions on the show?  If any other DR has an info or opinion on the show, I'd love to know also!

Back to work....

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2004, 11:32:48 AM »

While we're talking about television series.....does anyone else remember any bizarre guest star turns?  I know that Lucy had a "star" on every week - but guest stars doing weird things on other series?

Anybody else remember Mae West on "Mr Ed" or Jayne Mansfield on "Surfside Six" or John Wayne on "The Beverly Hillbillies"?

Tallulah Bankhead on Batman!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2004, 11:33:20 AM »

"Boom" Update...

Well, it looks like the local authorities have found the source of the mysterious "booms" that have been occuring in the Northside area of Richmond.  There was a brief news conference, and the police mentioned that they have found some "pressure producing devices".  They weren't explosives, but that's all the detail they could reveal at this time.  However, there is a large block of Northside that has been cordonned (sp?) off with police tape - it's a large crime scene area which is made up of a bunch of smaller crime scene areas.  Hmm...  I'm just hoping it's some homemade experiment, and not an indication of something else, something bigger.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2004, 11:36:52 AM »

But the same thing is happening in Fort Wayne, Indiana!  Mysterious!

DRMATTHEW who is doing ZOMBIE PROM?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2004, 11:36:57 AM »

JRand, you might need to duck and cover! LOL!

...and I do remember the Mae West episode of MR. ED.

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2004, 11:39:06 AM »

JRand you got your DeepDiscountDVD orders fast! I won a DVD of episodes from the sitcom HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE (Lori Nelson, Merry Anders, and Barbara Eden)...the seller had forgotten to ship it out...but they should be on their way now...maybe I will get them today! That would be nice. Haven't seen that show in many, many years.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2004, 11:39:09 AM »

Nanny case, to the business at hand:

I have been "late" to work twice this week, and it is all the fault of Mr. Bruce Kimmel.  Since I usually arrive at work exceedingly early, late is a relative term, however, and I was here before anyone else.

But Mr. Kimmel (I know he hates dislikes being called that) must bear the blame.  I did, however finish Writer's Block, so being late was well worth it.  I couldn't bring the book to work, of course, because it would have kept me from performing my more important tasks in the office.  Like posting to this here web site, for instance.

I am happy to say that, with 50 pages to go I had a Jessica Fletcher moment and figured out the who (but not the why, how, when, and other interrogatives) from a clue that appeared very early on in the book.  I mean very early.

I didn't catch any anachronisms, intentional or otherwise, but I was a bit annoyed by the grammatical slips of one or more authorial voice, anent accusative pronouns.

As for the shocking head-turner somewhere midnovel, which others have found off-putting.  I did not find it off-putting.  I actually found it quite on-putting.  I love that sort of stuff.  Do it myself.  Which accounts for my initial guess as to the identity of The Real A, for those of you familiar with ancient internet history.

Anyway, in a word:

Delightful!

Bruce, you are indeed a man of many talents.  As if we didn't all know that already.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2004, 11:42:18 AM »

DR Noel, you mentioned something about "Zombie Prom" recently.  I'm set to md that show this fall, besides the cast recording, I know nothing about the show.  Can you shed some light or some opions on the show?  If any other DR has an info or opinion on the show, I'd love to know also!

Back to work....

Well, if I may butt in here...

I was supposed to do Zombie Prom a few years ago, but then seasons got switched around and changed.  However, during my prep work, I did come across a fan site.  If you haven't come across it yet, here's the link:

Zombie Prom

There is also information about the other shows that Rowe & Dempsey have written.  Hope it helps.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 11:45:57 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2004, 11:43:05 AM »

I had better start reading the book soon! Had planned on it being my gym-cardio book to read...but since I am a slacker and haven't gone to the gym since I got the book I may have to find time at home to read, otherwise I will be the only one who hasn't read it!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2004, 11:58:15 AM »

GYPSY was not nominated against FLOWER DRUM SONG and REDHEAD. It came at the end of that season but after the Tony cutoff date, so it was up against THE SOUND OF MUSIC, FIORELLO, and ONCE UPON A MATTRESS.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2004, 11:59:48 AM »

OMG DRMBARNUM - the only thing I remember clearly about the television series HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE is that a couple of the girls....probably Merry and Lori....worked as models on a TV game show and sometimes you saw them at work putting guests in and out of the isolation booth.  At the time I didn't think anything could be MORE glam than that!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2004, 12:02:45 PM »

DR Stuart, the construction worker's name (in the Village People) is David Hodo. No relation to Dee Hoty.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2004, 12:06:51 PM »

WFO, thanks for the lovely comments.  Actually, of all the people who've read the book, only one was "off-put" by what happens mid-novel.  And that was from someone who read the manuscript.  Otherwise, I couldn't be more pleased by the reaction.  Please do take time to write those amazon reviews, for those who've read it - but, as I keep saying, please be careful of spoilers, lest you ruin the book's few surprises for others.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2004, 12:16:05 PM »

DR Jose:

Did you mean this link?

Now that I see it is by Dempsey & Row, I am more interested.  I have the CDs to The Fix and The Witches of Eastwick, and I find much to like in both scores.  Also John Barrowman.  Much to to like in John Barrowman.  And that said, I just discovered he has a solo Cole Porter CD out.  There goes more of my money!

For those of you not familiar with Mr. Barrowman's singing voice, you will have to content yourselves (alas!) with a photograph.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 01:10:29 PM by William F. Orr »
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2004, 12:17:01 PM »

The Village People, I am sad to say, are a shadow of their former selves, with only two originals (David Hoty/Construction Worker and Felipe Whatever-his-name-is/Native American).  It was a half-hour set, and unfortunately they did not get to some of my favorites of their oeuvre.

And "Felipe Whatever-his-name-is/Native American" is a resident of Richmond, VA!

Oh, and his full name is:

Felipe Rose
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 12:23:42 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2004, 12:25:12 PM »

Shame this is a family site, or Mr. Orr could've granted us the sight of Mr. Barrowman doing his hamburger impression.   ;)

(Did I really just say that?)  I should be blushing.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2004, 12:26:21 PM »

Bruce I can’t begin reading WRITER’S BLOCK because I want to read it straight through and don’t have the time to do that.  Heck, I shouldn’t even be posting.  So much is going on here with the remodeling, interruptions and things, plus I have over a hundred holiday cards to get out.  I need to write letters for at least half of those.  Currently I’m reading The Knight of Maison-Rouge by Alexandre Dumas.  Would you believe I am only getting through a chapter or two before falling asleep at night?  You wouldn’t want that to happen with your book, nor would I.

Just a Caesar salad and a burger is very high in calories.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2004, 12:26:56 PM »

DR Jose:

Did you mean this link?

Why whatever do you mean?!??!

;)

-It's just not my day for URLs.  Hopefully, I finally got the Village People/Felipe Rose link edited properly.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 12:31:17 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2004, 12:29:21 PM »

Shame this is a family site, or Mr. Orr could've granted us the sight of Mr. Barrowman doing his hamburger impression.   ;)

(Did I really just say that?)  I should be blushing.

Who have you been talking to, DR td?!?!??!

Actually, his hot dog impression is pretty spot on.

-And, yes, I really did just say that!

:o
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2004, 12:33:59 PM »

Jennifer the film Les Invasions Barbare begins in an overcrowded hospital with patients lined up in the hallways.  The lack of proper medical care continues throughout the movie.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2004, 12:37:33 PM »

Well then, here is Mr. Barrowman in Hair?  That's a family-oriented show, isn't it?

Those with absolutely no interest in the costume design can hum the music.
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2004, 12:42:53 PM »

Well then, here is Mr. Barrowman in Hair?  That's a family-oriented show, isn't it?

Those with absolutely no interest in the costume design can hum the music.

...Just remember, we don't want the Upload Folder getting filled up again!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2004, 12:43:28 PM »

Shocked I am shocked....and for one I am glad that DRCHARLESPOGUE is not here to see this...this....racous and disgusting display of beefcake.  

Are those the only pictures anyone has?

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2004, 12:50:08 PM »

Okay.  I'm done.  Do your own googling.

I would however suggest http://www.johnbarrowman.net.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 12:53:03 PM by William F. Orr »
--Wayland Flowers

Jane

« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2004, 12:50:23 PM »

Panni are you entertaining for Thanksgiving?
Have a good meeting tomorrow.  Walking should be a real treat.

MBarnum take the book and go to the gym!

Jane

« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2004, 12:51:54 PM »

Last night we watched BACK WHEN WE WERE GROWNUPS.  We think Peter Fonda might be in for a nomination with his performance.  

Hillary Danner played young Rebecca, Blythe Danner’s character.  This morning I looked on-line to see if they are related.  I found Hillary Danner is Katherine Moennig’s cousin.  So I look up Katherine Moening and find she is Bruce Paltrow and Blythe Danner’s niece. LOL

Further sleuthing shows Hillary is the daughter of Harry Danner, Blythe’s brother.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2004, 12:59:24 PM »

OK.. It's time for another walk in the rain...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2004, 01:04:50 PM »

Now that I've taken BK to task for making me late to work, I really must apologize to him.

I have been remiss, not to mention errant and truant, in posting reviews on amazon.com.  I have not posted my review of Kritzertime, alas.  And that was some months ago.

My recent reading has been all hainesy/kimlet stuff, come to think of it.  I read Jewish Thighs on Broadway this summer by our very own PennyO, as well as Dragonheart, the novel by our very own Charles E. Pogue.  And I owe them both reviews, too.  Tomorrow will be a slow day at work, so I plan to post several.

I heartily recommend both of the above to all of you.  Penny's work is a laugh riot, as one is wont to say, and I am eagerly anticipating the stage version in March.  If you have seen the film of Dragonheart, and you can somehow acquire the out-of-print novel, you will find it much more detailed in depth of character, especially of some of the villains.  There are many scenes in the novel that would have vastly improved the film if they had been on screen.

I am crossing my fingers that Hercules as it appears on TV will be what DR Pogue wrote and intended, because a lot of people know how to tell such a story wrong, but he definitely knows how to tell it right.

I actually love the über-campy TV series starring DR Edward Pogue's close personal friend Kevin Sorbo, but face it:  it isn't Hercules.  Looking forward to seeing the legend as it should be told.
--Wayland Flowers

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2004, 01:18:20 PM »

I know next-to-nothing about Zombie Prom, and, like you, need to know more.  My father called me very late at night, desparate to suggest some good musical for the high school he's on the Board of.  Zombie Prom's on a rather long list I made for him, and he wants to know more.  So that's two of us.  Dempsey & Rowe's other shows, it seems, have only been produced in England.

Some might think I'd be able to sell him on Area 51, or Murder at the Savoy or any of my other musicals.  Well, the answer to that is a question:

Who do you have to be sired by to get a show produced in this town?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up