Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: GOBBLE-GOBBLE  (Read 19956 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:GOBBLE-GOBBLE
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2004, 01:26:57 PM »

In NUNCRACKERS, Sister Amnesia calls the ballet "The Ballbreaker" instead of "The Nutcracker."
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2004, 01:28:30 PM »

I will finish up the DVD WALK ON THE WILD SIDE tonight. Sadly, none of the DVDs I got on that special discount from Deep Discount came today, and we KNOW they aren't coming tomorrow. I'll have to settle for the few dozen other DVDs that lie here waiting to be watched.

Matt H.

« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2004, 01:29:55 PM »

My friend Penny (in Auburn, IL) had snow today. It was 70 here (albeit overcast and rainy).

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2004, 01:41:37 PM »

JRand-funny ballet.

I don't remember that game-guess it wan't on my list but I think I would enjoy it now.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2004, 02:00:44 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Back from my walk... And, lo and behold, the rain stopped!  At least for now - the storms are still supposed to move in tonight, but, hopefully, it will clear up tomorrow as forecasted/promised.  <fingers crossed>

The Thanksgiving spirit was definitely in the air along the streets of Carytown.  Well, actually, along the "street" of Carytown, since Carytown is just along one street, Cary Street.  Lots of people were out today.  Shopping.  Window shopping.  Just walking around.  I made a few stops along the way just to say Hi to some friends and shopowners and clerks.  And I even helped one lady who was trying to find a stationery store - her daughter is undergoing surgery in town, and she figured she might as well get a head start on her Christmas cards.  I wished her and her daughter well.

Then it was down to Ukrop's where I ran into one of my college voice teachers.  And I also picked up some White House Rolls, a Chocolate Pecan Pie, and a Lattice Cherry Pie.  Then it was across the street to Montana Bread for three loaves of their Cinnamon Swirl Bread.  I figured I can't show up empty-handed tomorrow when I arrive at my parents house.  *And I was truly thankful that the rain held off during my walk back to the apartment since my hands were full.

-Of course, the challenge will be not sneaking a slice of pie or bread before tomorrow morning. ;)

I may be heading over to Steve's tonight for dinner, or I may just stay here and try to get some stuff done around the apartment.  We'll see...
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2004, 02:06:22 PM »

George, if you still have it please send me the happiness fairy.  I have a friend who could use her.

Jane, did you want the actual e-mail that I got or did you want to download the image here from HHW and create your own e-mail?  If you want me to forward the e-mail itself to you, send me a private message with your e-mail address and I can send it to you...unless you can wait until I get home, because I should still have your e-mail address there...and the original e-mail.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2004, 02:25:52 PM »

My favorite parts were the rehearsals and performance of the “songs” in the musical Bacall was doing. If there are stupider songs please point me to them.

I haven't seen The Fan, so I don't know how this compares. But I thought "Otto Titsling" from Beaches (lyrics by Bette Middler) was pretty stupid.

Otto was a song she originally performed in her stand up act that was recorded as Mud Will Be Flung Tonight
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2004, 02:37:16 PM »

Since I did mostly series work (guest shots) the directors really didn't do all that much, and the sitcoms they tended to do even less (more of a writer and producer thing).  My favorites, in terms of niceness, were Dick Kinon, Mel Swope, Joel Zwick, Hy Averback, and I'm zoning on the name but whoever directed the George Kennedy pilot I did - Charles someone I think - well known TV director.  Strangest: E. Swackhammer, who did the MASH episode I did - I never actually saw him.  I liked working with Corey Allen, Bill Asher (not easy, but we just hit it off and I never had a prob), John Newland (my first TV director - loved him), Jerry Paris (a maniac, but I had a great time), Jim Burrows, and I just can't remember the others.  Oh, and Leo Penn was wonderful to work with and very helpful.  Worst: the gal who directed the episode of Alice - Kim something I think, and the guy who directed the episode of Angie (which actually was one of my favorite guest shots and one of the best things I ever did - but that had nothing to do with the director, who was a jerk).  

In commercials my faves were Stan Dragoti and Frank Oz.

George Kennedy Pilot director go here:

http://www.brucekimmel.com/generations.htm

The Alice episode director go here:

http://www.brucekimmel.com/alicetv.html.htm

Beggarman Thief

http://www.brucekimmel.com/beggarmanthief.htm

The Doris Day Show Spinoff Young Love

http://www.brucekimmel.com/dorisdayshow.html.htm

More to come later
Never stop dreaming.

td

• td
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2004, 03:16:02 PM »

td I know you will have a great time in NY-next time though plan your trip when I’m there. :)

Jane - just let me know the next time that you're going; I'll see what I can do!
I enjoy meeting up with DRs from both here and from the magazine.
Plus, the next time that I'm in town, I'll be spending some time with John DePalma.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2004, 03:19:38 PM »

Just taking a break - and a cool-off - from my baking.
I have a deep dished, crumble-topped apple pie in the top oven; four pumpkin pies in the lower oven; the sweet potatoes for the pecan topped casserole on the stove. . .the kitchen is hot, hot, hot!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2004, 03:25:20 PM »

There should be a WFO sighting soon!  I have posted my amazon review of Writer's Block and now its appearance is dependent solely upon their whims.  No spoilers--except a few suspicious jars in the back of my refrigerator.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2004, 03:47:40 PM »

WFO sighting alert - the amazon review is already up!  And wonderful it is.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2004, 04:16:15 PM »

As to Ragtime at Baldwin High School last weekend--yes, it was indeed the first school to do the school edition.  What's the difference, I don't know, since both the S word and Emma Goldman's use of the M word were intact.  Jeez!  When I was in high school we had to excise all the damns from George Washington Slept Here!

Except for some of the orchestra being out of tune, it was an excellent production--some very strong voices from kids who didn't sound like kids at all.

Unfortunately, my credit-card camera didn't have quite enough light, but still here is a picture of my wonderful niece Laura with her boy friend Eric.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 04:44:43 PM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Danise

« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2004, 04:27:00 PM »

Happiest of Pre-Holiday Greetings all!

I could have come home early today (3:30) but had to wait for the bus.  I used the time to finish Angels and Demons and start The Da Vinci Code.  All I can say about A & D is, “Wow!”.  I don’t want to give anything away but if you haven’t read it, do.  

Question for BK and DR day, what is your favorite version of  A Christmas Carol?  Bruce might know the star of my favorite. I fear it is not very well known. I get lots of blank stares and “Never heard of it.” at work.  It’s called An American Christmas Carol and starred Mr. Henry Winkler.  

All this talk about NYC, you know maybe we should try to plan a get together for sometime next year.  Its way to early now but after the first of the year we could see what time the most of us could make it. What do you think?

Our rain has just started.  I hope everyone that is out on the road or has to fly out someplace will be safe.  Funny how these storms hit right at a Holiday.  I wonder if they will be able to have the Macy’s Day Parade.  I heard on the news that it should be raining quite heavily there tomorrow.  

I was looking forward to seeing  it because this is the first time I can say I was there and saw the star on the street.  I called my Mom from the little—I’m going to call it a park for want of a better word—across the street from Macys.  

I LOVE the fairie as well.  May I also have it?  I also know some people I would like to send her to.

Thank you, DR Dan-the-Man, for the link to the Rankin/Bass site.  I really enjoyed looking it over.  What a shame that many of the original puppets are no more.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2004, 04:40:13 PM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  You'd think it was the day before Thanksgiving.  I think we've only had two or three questions the whole day.

I watched a film called L'Appartement last night - I'd read about it on a DVD site and it sounded interesting, so I got a copy (only available in region 2 - UK or France).  I'll have a lot to say about it in tomorrow's notes, but wouldn't you know that they've already remade this movie here in the US - it came out in September - called Wicker Park, and, as always, they apparently ruined it, complete with changed ending.  Amusingly, one of the twelve-year-old "reviewers" on the imdb invokes the name of screenwriting guru Syd Field.  And therein lies the problem with American filmmaking today - Mr. Field and Mr. McKee, the Two Stooges, have done more damage to filmmaking than anyone could possibly calculate - not only in their effect on young screenwriters, but the fact that studio executives also subscribe to their ridiculous line of screenwriting-babble.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2004, 04:50:00 PM »

I LOVE the fairie as well.  May I also have it?  I also know some people I would like to send her to.

When I get home, Danise, I'll e-mail it to you also! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2004, 04:56:30 PM »

td I will and your kitchen must smell heavenly right now.

WFO your niece is darling.

Michael Shayne thanks for the links to the TV shows.

George I can forward the fairy to Danise.

Danise I believe I mentioned this yesterday-Albert Finney in CHRISTMAS CAROL is my favorite.

Jane

« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2004, 04:57:22 PM »

George I didn't see your post-wasn't there until after I posted.  The offer still stands.

Ben

« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2004, 05:01:30 PM »

Just wanted to pop in with an early Thanksgiving greeting for all. I don't know how much computer time I will have tomorrow. I have to pick up the British guests at their hotel tomorrow morning and wend our way to Penn Station (ugghhh). I went there today to pick up my LIRR ticket for tomorrow and it was a madhouse. There are special $6 dollar fares on the train tomorrow so on my way to their hotel I will pick up their tickets as well. I didn't pick up my tickets tomorrow because I'm coming back on Sunday and the $6 dollar fare will not be available. Oh, well. We then will have an hour and fifteen minute train ride w/most likely a very full train. Then when we arrive at Chez Morelli, there will be much merriment and oohing and aahing at Anthony's doll house and there will be playing with MacGregor, the lovely West Highland Terrier and then there will be food galore. I will try to pop on for a few minutes, but in case I don't get on until Friday:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ONE AND ALL AT HHW, MY SPECIAL INTERNET FRIENDS!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2004, 05:04:29 PM »

Happiest of Pre-Holiday Greetings all!

Thank you, DRDanise, and to you as well! :D

My favorite CHRISTMAS CAROL is a tie between Alastair Sim's and Patrick Stewart's.  I'm also crazy about Mr Magoo's because I love the songs.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2004, 05:58:45 PM »

I am trying to imagine DRJOSE walking down the street with a pie in each hand.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2004, 06:15:26 PM »

This afternoon I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2004, 06:17:26 PM »

All right, it is time to get some postin' goin' on - I go away to do some stuff, I come back and there's like four posts, which is not enough for my mental delectation.  Get the lead out, you hainsies/kimlets.  Ask some questions, give some answers, and let's have a frenzy or two.  This is most unseemly.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2004, 06:17:37 PM »

And this:

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2004, 06:18:42 PM »

Actually DRJANE it wasn't a game....like most REMCO toys, it was a replica.  :D

You could run your own Drive-In - with cars a refreshment stand, and a projection room (using a flashlight-type lightbulb and crank projector).

I of course would have had a few different double features than Mighty Mouse and Heckle and Jeckle.
 :P

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2004, 06:19:40 PM »

Beautiful pictures DRLAURA.

Hey - we haven't done an apparel check for awhile....what is everyone wearing tonight?

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2004, 06:22:07 PM »

And this:

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2004, 06:22:50 PM »

Very nice review DRWFO.  Polymath?

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2004, 06:25:08 PM »

Thank you.

Jane

« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2004, 06:34:13 PM »

DRLaura the photographs are beautiful.  Echo and I hiked along a stream today but it wasn’t as pretty.  The first photo is my favorite.  I love the jagged rocks in Arizona.

JRand  I remember going to drive-ins but never playing with a replica of one-guess I was too busy playing with dolls.

Ben thank you for the big greeting.  A very happy Thanksgiving back to you and to all here who celebrate it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up