Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: TURKEY LURKEY TIME  (Read 22760 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TURKEY LURKEY TIME
« on: November 25, 2004, 12:01:57 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've gotten stuffed reading the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the turkey lurkey cows come home.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 12:01:50 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:TURKEY LURKEY TIME
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 12:09:29 AM »

I'm just saying hello so I can say good-night. Must rest up for cookin' up a storm in the morn (candied storm is what I'm serving).

DR Jose - Don't forget - I want the story of why you have the pregnancy cookbook. No excuses!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 12:17:22 AM »

The ham is simmering along, the cranberry relish is chillin', the sweet potatoes are glazed and just need the marshmallows to be broiled on top.

I can do that broiling tomorrow.  That and the creamed onions.  Right now, I want to get a couple hours sleep.

Wuss, everyone.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004, 12:21:56 AM »

I can smell the fixin's.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2004, 12:27:12 AM »

Good Morning!

Why am I still up?  I'm not even cooking?!?!??!

DR Panni - Actually, it's not that long a story.  A voice teacher/performer I used to play for gave a recital a few years ago.  She was pregnant at the time.  So, she decided to call her recital/cabaret evening: "Barefoot and Pregnant".  So, she walked out onstage, pointed to her pianist, and said, "Barefoot" - he had no shoes nor socks on.  Then she pointed to her seven-months along tummy, and said, "Pregnant".  And a good laugh was had by all. :)

In any case...

All of her students wanted to get her something nice for her recital/cabaret since it would also mark the start of her maternity leave.  Well.. Since we all knew that she was entitling her evening "Barefoot and Pregnant", we all searched out for items that fit the theme.  Well, since we were all very thorough searchers and foragers, we came up with a gift basket filled with things like foot massage scrub, pedicure kits, baby name books, baby booties, etc.  And, of course, the cookbook.  Actually, I think we ended up with about four copies of the cookbook.  So... we gave one to the pianist, and the other two copies went back to the people who brought them in.  One of whom was me.  That's it!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 12:51:23 AM »

The stew is cooking.   I started at 5 p.m. (I first had to cook a 4-pound chicken and cool it before deboning it and cutting it up) and had everything in the crockpots by 7:30 p.m.   It's a lot of work making a Brunswick stew, but the crockpot version takes less time than doing it on the stove.  I'm not sure how many quarts are cooking, but the recipe called for two quarts of water, which I cooked the chicken in, with diced potatoes and chopped onions, plus tons of ingredients including 32 ounces of diced tomatoes, two cups of diced ham, three pounds of cut-up chicken, lima beans, corn, and assorted spices...so, both my crockpots are in full use.  One is small, roughly two quarts.  The other is either four or six quarts.

The apartment smells yummalicious, but I'll just have to sleep with the smells...all those ingredients will blend and merge and create a new smell by mid-morning and that will be when I start fixing cornbread, I reckon.

Wednesday night TV was crap.  This was supposed to be a night for "Lost" and "Smallville."  Instead, some crappy movie was on the WB and ABC ran a 2 1/2-hour finale to "The Bachelor."  BLECH.

Oh, well...it's the beginning of the holiday season...and holiday specials...which means less new TV programming  and more time to read books and watch DVDs.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Thanksgiving, One and All![/move]
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 12:58:28 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2004, 01:34:59 AM »

Favourite obscure show tune (but it isn't!) is "I'm Afraid To Go home" by Udell & Geld. I've always thought it must have been written for "Shenandoah" but discarded early. I've never been able to find out anything about it.
Always liked "Mama's Talking Soft" - well before I knew anything about Mr Sondheims and Mr Styne's work. I first knew the song through the Petula Clark version.
Ben Bagley is to thank for my knowledge of many other gems (pre BK).

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004, 01:43:00 AM »

And in counterpoint to The Esteemed BK's strophe:

....with sincere apologies to Mssrs. Berlin and Kimmel... very sincere apologies...

Yeah, the bird's done deep frying!
It will be satisfying
When it comes out of that hot oil.
Hear it go spitter spatter.
No, it won't make you fatter
Just let that pan of gravy boil
Put some floop on your plate, ma'am
Chunks of cheese and some baked ham
Go wipe that drool right off your chin
For dessert be sure to try
Uncle Bruce's pumpkin pie
Eat some more, you're looking thin.

...like I said... very sincere apologies...

;)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 01:45:26 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004, 01:54:23 AM »

Pay no attention to the time stamp of my previous post... or of this one for that matter... ;)

-Must have been the cheesecake!?!?!?

I'm probably just gonna go up to Fairfax in a few hours, and come back to Richmond tomorrow night... Probably... So, if I end up doing that, I'm just gonna leave my laptop here.  I'll try my best to log on from my parents' house, but if I don't...

I do want to wish a Very Happy and Very Thankful Thanksgiving to the whole HainesHisWay family.  -That includes you too, you lurkers!

Eat well.  Travel safe.  Be safe.
Give Thanks.  Share Love.
Make Your Own Luck.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2004, 02:45:54 AM »

Looks like I'm the first Kimlet to awaken this brisk Thanksgiving morning.  Actually, here in Florida it's not brisk, in fact it's positively slow, but I like to pretend it's brisk and nippy and the smell of burning leaves permeates the air.  Here if the smell of anything burning permeates the air, it means the Everglades are on fire again.

For some reason this year, I felt the need to change or replace many traditional dishes we've always had.  So instead of Pillsbury crescent rolls we get cornbread, and instead of our usual (very basic, white bread-and-onion-and-celery) stuffing, we get a super revved-up and fancy stuffing with chopped pecans, Granny Smith apples, raisins, and Italian sausage.  Rather than an apple pie, we'll have a Williamsburg Orange cake (which I made yesterday) that involves golden raisins and more chopped pecans and buttermilk and minced orange peel in both the cake and the frosting.  The Hubby makes the bird (as he does every year) and all night, it's been marinating in one of his homemade concoctions: grapefruit, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic cloves, fresh rosemary, thyme, ginger, etc.

There!  Enough talk about food?  :)

Have a great Thanksgiving, everyone.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2004, 03:26:25 AM »

... Here if the smell of anything burning permeates the air, it means the Everglades are on fire again. ...
Either that or some fool in the neighborhood tried to deep-fry their turkey without using any sense (which means they tried to deep-fry their turkey), and their whole house has burnt down.   :o
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2004, 04:40:26 AM »

OK, it's a little later in the morning now...I've got the pearl onions cooling down in their bath of boiling water so I can make the creamed onions...Amanda the Smithfield Ham is cooling her hocks as well, in the sink gawd bless her, and when she's cool enough I'll be stripping her of her skin and excess fat...

And on the television, on A&E's classroom presentation, yes that's how it's listed, they're running the Biography of Bette Midler, telling the tale of how a young Jewish maiden from Hawaii emerged from the steam of the baths of New York City and became a star!  Only in the U S of A, I tell you, and it makes me proud, yes PROUD to be an American!

In fact, it kind of makes up for how we have to spend most of this fenorkin' holiday with relatives.   :o
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 04:45:22 AM by S. Woody White »

Michael

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2004, 05:11:05 AM »

I will start off with:

Musical Comedy
Circles
Time To Go
No Letting Go

Four songs from a musical that played in only LA in 1978.
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2004, 05:19:20 AM »

Good morning, all!  And a Happy Thanksgiving to everyone of you DRs and to those you love.

The first five years I lived in this apartment, I invited all the people I knew with no Thanksgiving plans to dinner at my place.  I had 3-5 friends who drove in from Ohio on Wednesday for the weekend, and we'd serve dinner to between 15-21 people.  The dinners were a lot of fun; Ethan Mordden played piano and ran through all of my scores to accompany a lot of singing, Ken Mandelbaum arrived late for dessert a couple of times, and a lot of recent New York arrivals with family in the hinterlands became part of my nuclear famly for the day.  It was a lot  of fun.   The sequence of Thanksgiving dinners ended because of several Ohio problems: one of my friends who died this year invited someone from Ohio I knew only slightly, and I had an alcoholic in my home for 4 days who never sobered up.  The same deceased friend promised to help me with an errand using his car and then he lied, so I lost some furniture I had been promised.  I decided then and there that I was not thankful for the friend or the alcoholic,  and that was my last Thanksgiving dinner here.  

After that, I started going upstate to Philmont, NY, where the (then)conductor of the New York City Gay Men's Chorus and his partner have a large Victorian home.  There were usually 12-20 guests dinner, often 3-4 guests for the weekend, and I'd take my music paper and spend the weekend scoring the NYCGMC holiday concert, playing Hearts, and watching a lot of rented videos.  One year Doctor Jay, who drove in from DC, and I had a tacky horror festival and forced the guests to watch horror videos all weekend.  It was great fun for us, if not for them.

This year, I have no plans, and that's fine.  I am thankful that I survived six months of poor health this year, and I am thankful for the wonderful family and friends I have on this site and around the globe.  God bless you all.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2004, 05:32:18 AM »

Has any of the LA members heard anything about the revival/revisal of Paint Your Wagon at the Geffen?
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2004, 05:45:39 AM »

We're talking favorite obscure show tunes here, and I can go back a long ways:

Jane, Jane, Jane (1903, BABES IN TOYLAND)
Jack-o-lantern Love (1912, LADY OF THE SLIPPER)
The Sun Shines Brighter (1917, LEAVE IT TO JANE)
Not Yet (1917, OH, LADY! LADY!)
Once in a Blue Moon (1923, STEPPING STONES)
Where The Hudson River Flows (1925, DEAREST ENEMY)
New York Serenade (1928, ROSALIE)
Starting at the Bottom (1930, FINE AND DANDY)
Ballad of the Robbers (1938, KNICKERBOCKER HOLIDAY)
Every Sunday Afternoon (1940, HIGHER AND HIGHER)
Nickel for a Dime (1940, TAN MANHATTAN)
Here I'll Stay (1948, LOVE LIFE)
Stay Well (1949, LOST IN THE STARS)

The advent of long play recordings and original cast albums in America covered a lot of ground in the 1940s to today, so I don't know what's obscure any more.  I can think of a few, not-released-on-CD off-Broadway shows from the 1960s that have some great obscure numbers:

A More Than Ordinary Glorious Vocabulary (1961, ALL IN LOVE)
A Man With a Load of Mischief (1966, MAN WITH A LOAD OF MISCHIEF)
I Want to Walk to San Francisco (1969, THE LAST SWEET DAYS OF ISAAC)

And there I'll stop.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2004, 05:47:28 AM »

Good job on both parts of the You're Just In Love parody!

There's something skewed about my perspective, and I'm not sure what show tunes are truly obscure.  New Words?  To me, that's a familiar cabaret standard.

I love Why Can't I, from a Rodgers & Hart show - I forget which one.

Since I was a kid, I've loved Hey Jimmy Joe John Jim Jack from Let It Ride.  It bears some similarities to two BK favorites (from films), High Hopes and Pocketful of Miracles.  I hope nobody thinks I'm evil for liking it (as happened at another site).

For the EXTREMELY obscure, does anybody know With My Eyes Wide Open from Brooklyn Dreams.  Has anybody heard of Brooklyn Dreams?  I know it sounds like a combination of two current Broadway duds.  The last line of the bridge of My Eyes Wide Open still brings tears to my eyes (wide open): Morning is the best time, 'cause I'll wake up, and he'll be there.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2004, 06:04:53 AM »

For the TOD,

"Walking with Penina," from The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (off-broadway), always makes me smile.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2004, 06:47:45 AM »

I've had my first "disaster" of the Thanksgiving cooking for the day.  The cream for the creamed onions went bad on me.

I mean, really, we've been in the house for just a year now, the cream has been sitting in the refrigerator for less than that...how can it have gone bad?

The good news is that the onions weren't tainted.  And I've sent der B to the store to get fresh cream...and a shallot, and chives.

I've also still have to skin that pig.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 06:48:25 AM by S. Woody White »

Danise

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2004, 07:00:19 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Turkey[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
Day,[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Everyone!!!!![/move]
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2004, 07:03:20 AM »

Don't feel bad, SWW.   It could be worse--I just had my first one as well.  While I was typing the above Bear had an accident.  I won't go into details.   :P  :-X  :(
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2004, 07:14:07 AM »

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2004, 07:25:57 AM »

I love Why Can't I, from a Rodgers & Hart show - I forget which one.

With My Eyes Wide Open from Brooklyn Dreams.  Has anybody heard of Brooklyn Dreams?  I know it sounds like a combination of two current Broadway duds.  The last line of the bridge of My Eyes Wide Open still brings tears to my eyes (wide open): Morning is the best time, 'cause I'll wake up, and he'll be there.

I just realized that the bridge to Why Can't I ends with a similar thought: Can't I awake to someone's kiss?

Since the mention of Geld & Udell I've been humming How Do You Say Goodbye which I think is from Angel.  In a sense, ALL of Geld & Udell's songs are obscure, and some are quite tasty.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2004, 07:42:44 AM »

Skinning Amanda was easy, it turned out.  She'd been cooked long enough that I didn't even need to use the knife; the skin and fat just came off by pulling on it.  In fact, the best comparison I can think of is the scene in Poltergeist, where...well, if you know the film, you know the scene.

Fortunately, the results are far more tasty.

All that is left is to broil the marshmallows on the sweet potatoes, a simple task.  Well, that an pack everything up, including serving platters and such, and driving for an hour or so (but the driving is der B's job).  And then discovering that Tarlie is facing a total disaster getting everything...or anything...on the table in time for us all, and pitching in as is needed.

I suppose doing an Anthony Bourdain impersonation in the middle of all the ruckus would go unappreciated.   ::) 8)

I'd better lay back for a while, because I only got maybe two and a half hours sleep and the day isn't over by a long shot.  If I'm errant and truant until tomorrow, let me wish everyone a happy turkey day now!

Emily

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2004, 07:45:05 AM »

Happy (US) Thanksgiving to all celebrating today!

Your descriptions of what's currently cooking in your ovens on on your stove-tops is making my mouth water.

The real question of the day: Will DR Jane be serving TOFURKEY? :)

Sorry to have been E&T lately but it's end of term and is also approaching the 15th anniversary of the Polytechnique Massacre - so things are crazy at school AND at work.  No excuse I know... but you all have been in my mind...

BK, my copy of Writer's Block was received on Tuesday and I am reading it every night before bed as a reward.  So far, I am thoroughly enjoying it (although I too was thrown for a loop right in the middle like so many other readers).  

Funny story:

My co-worker is an American who is currently living in Montreal with her Québecois husband who she met in Africa when she was in the Peace Corps and he was working for an NGO.  Every year though, they go to Tennessee (sp?) for Thanksgiving at her grandparents' house where her entire familial clan joins up in a big two-century old farmhouse.  The problem?  He doesn't really speak English and her family doesn't speak French.  The answer? Her family makes him feel "welcome" by pretty much feeding him constantly throughout the day - just piling food on his plate as he looks around without understanding a word that's being said to him except for that which Susan translates.  It's no wonder that American Thanksgiving is his favourite holiday! :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2004, 08:00:22 AM »

Good Morning!

Once again, Happy Thanksgiving!

I did manage to get a couple of hours of good sleep, but, alas, my "alarm clock" turned out to be some thunder claps which shook my bedroom windows.  I just checked the weather reports, and the line of storms is moving out of here pretty fast, and the radar does look like it will be clearing up.  I called home to see if any time had been set for dinner, and it turns out we won't be gathering around the table until sometime in the evening.  So, I have some time to continue waking up and wait out the weather before hitting the road.  -Oh, and my brother, Jay, apparently got stranded at the airport yesterday, and was not able to fly back into DC yesterday due to all the bad weather.  Hopefully, he'll make it back sometime in the next few hours.

-It's not that brisk here either.  But it's getting there.  The temp has been dropping a few degrees over the past few hours, but when I woke up it was in the mid-60s.

In the meantime... I'm flipping between channels watching the coverage of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  *And I guess no one informed the commentators at CBS that Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is now a musical coming back to Broadway - they just kept talking about the movie and music, but I believe the appearance of the car in today's parade was some advance promotion. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2004, 08:04:31 AM »

Happy (US) Thanksgiving to all celebrating today!

Funny story:

My co-worker is an American who is currently living in Montreal with her Québecois husband who she met in Africa when she was in the Peace Corps and he was working for an NGO.  Every year though, they go to Tennessee (sp?) for Thanksgiving at her grandparents' house where her entire familial clan joins up in a big two-century old farmhouse.  The problem?  He doesn't really speak English and her family doesn't speak French.  The answer? Her family makes him feel "welcome" by pretty much feeding him constantly throughout the day - just piling food on his plate as he looks around without understanding a word that's being said to him except for that which Susan translates.  It's no wonder that American Thanksgiving is his favourite holiday! :)

DR Emily - Very Funny Story!  ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2004, 08:23:59 AM »

A big Happy Thanksgiving to all DRs who celebrate this day!

My friends who have invited me over today have named 2 p.m. as the arrival time, so I will be E&T for a goodly portion of the afternoon and early evening. We're probably going to watch SHREK 2 or THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK after eating mid-afternoon. I'll have my DVR primed to catch tonight's 1 hour WILL & GRACE.

I have to say that in the seven years or so since I have had a significent other, I have had a few Thanksgivings with no invitations, and I never had a problem fixing my own celebratory feast, and the best part was that there were plenty of leftovers that I could consume over the long weekend. I LOVE Thanksgiving food.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2004, 08:24:14 AM »

Good morning, all!  And a Happy Thanksgiving to everyone of you DRs and to those you love.

This year, I have no plans, and that's fine.  I am thankful that I survived six months of poor health this year, and I am thankful for the wonderful family and friends I have on this site and around the globe.  God bless you all.

What fun you have had, erstwhile friend/drunkard guest notwithstanding.

I, for one, am also thankful you survived your bout with poor health and I'm wishin' and hopin' and prayin' that you're recovering FOR GOOD!

I have a couple of photos from a dear departed friend named Jim Whaley who spent an NYC Thanksgiving at the home of Van Johnson.  Van set a gorgeous table!  Your comments about Mordden and Mandelbaum reminded me of Jim's telling me about his Thanksgiving and then I remembered the photo!

The smell in my apartment would, for sure, attract a sleuth of bears if I lived near a forested area.

(Pedants beware:  Do not try to force "sloth of bears" upon me.  I've never seen a slofthful bear!).
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2004, 08:33:09 AM »

I've said this several times here, but I will repeat it: my favorite unknown song is from BK's UNSUNG SONDHEIM CD: "Water Under the Bridge," and Debbie Gravitte's rendition is unparalleled in power and impact. She puts Liza's lame attempt on THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM CELEBRATION set to pure and utter shame.

Funny story: Several years ago at a musical audition, I sang Jerry Herman's "It Only Takes a Moment." I didn't bother to announce what the song was from since I thought it was so well known. Anyway, the musical director, who I thought knew every musical famous and obscure backwards and forwards, said quite seriously, "That's a lovely song. Where did you find it?" So, sometimes even the most knowledgeable musician doesn't always know everything.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up