Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: TURKEY LURKEY TIME  (Read 22767 times)

Sandra

• "Stupider."
Re:TURKEY LURKEY TIME
« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2004, 08:29:22 PM »

I had a wonderfully wonderful traditional Thanksgiving dinner. Floop on a leopard-spotted plate. This is what Thanksgiving is all about.

I just had some pumpkin pie, and I am thinking about fighting off the rest of my family for the last slice. It's that, or write one of my term papers.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2004, 08:58:37 PM »

I had yummilicious yams, I had tasty turkey, I had potent potatoes, I had caloric cranberries, I had stupendous stuffing, I had riotous rolls, and now I am stuffed to the gills and ready to vomit on the ground.  I'm back in the home environment as Abie the dog finally got to my allergies.  

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2004, 09:07:30 PM »

Thanksgiving Break has afforded me some time to sit back and relax and get on the board! I had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I have been home from school since Tuesday cleaning house. (My dad thinks it was for Thanksgiving but it is more for his suprise 50th birthday party we are having for him on Saturday. His birthday isn't until the 30th.) I stayed up late cleaning and doing laundry and then proceeded to head to Butler University in Indianapolis at 3 am to help with the Mozel Sanders Thanksgiving dinner. We were done by 7:30 am because they had so many volunteers. All the local news channels were covering it. (Actually the camera people kept getting in my way.) I had trash duty so I probably had the least glamorous job, but if I had gotten behind it would have held everything up. I then came home and slept until 2. I didn't have to help cook our family meal at all so I did dishes. We had, ham, turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, heavenly hash, green bean casserole, croissants, cheescake, pumpkin pie, deviled eggs, banana nut bread, zuchini bread, jello with the nuts and bananas in it. I am sure I am forgetting something. It was all quite delicious. We watched White Christmas as per tradition, and then my sister went and proposed to her boyfriend. (He had proposed twice before and she freaked out and never gave him an answer. He told her next time she would have to ask him so she went and did that tonight after everything was done and he said yes. It's just been a really good day.
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2004, 09:08:18 PM »

Ohh how could I forget the stuffing! :o :D
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Kerry

« Reply #124 on: November 25, 2004, 09:16:47 PM »

And here all along I thought it was Goosey Poosey time.  I wish someone would have told me earlier!
I like boat races.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #125 on: November 25, 2004, 09:21:02 PM »

Confidential to Dear Reader Joey:

The way you describe it, your holiday sounds like it came out of a Norman Rockwell painting or a Frank Capra movie.  (And I do not mean that in a sarcastic way!)

You are very lucky to be so blessed!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #126 on: November 25, 2004, 09:21:43 PM »

*BURRRRRP!!*

(excuse me...)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #127 on: November 25, 2004, 09:21:56 PM »

Good Post-Feast!

Stage 2 of the Thanksgiving Simbulan Style, 2004...

...is just now wrapping up.  The counters are cleaned off.  The dishwasher has just started the drying cycle.  My brother Michael, his wife Vero, and his two children, John Michael and Alyssa have departed and are finishing their Thanksgiving at their own house.  My brother, Don, is upstairs in his room with his daughter, Alexandra.  -He's in the process of moving into a new house right now.  My aunt and uncle are in the guest room - they were the first ones down so to speak.  I thought they had flown from San Diego, it turns out they had taken Amtrak cross-country. WOW!  My parents are getting for bed, and for their trip up - and back - to NYC tomorrow.  And I'm sitting here in the living room on my laptop.  Letterman is on in the background.  And I just finished the last slice of the Chocolate Fudge with Pecans Pie - which I warmed slightly in the microwave, and accompanied with a few forkfuls of vanilla ice cream.  ;)

It was a very nice Thanksgiving.  I was happy I could be here and help out.  For some unknown reason, my appearance this afternoon surprised my parents, but they were very glad to have me here to help out, and just to be with the family.  I think they thought I was working in Richmond.  ??  In any case, they were very happy to have all four of their boys home at the same time - which happens less and less as we have grown up and moved away.  It truly was nice being together as a family again.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier... At the height of the cooking and preparations, there were at least five cooks in the kitchen at once.  There was some amazing choreography around the island, by the stove and the sink.  Of course, during all of this, my two-year old niece, Alyssa, was walking around supervising all of us.  She gave us all "Satisfactory's" for our perfomance tonight.  Come to think of it, all the young ones tonight were very well behaved, and they even were settled enough to pose for pictures.  Usually they're all very fussy... or asleep by the time the cameras come out.

But the big surprise of the evening is/was the lack of leftovers.  The turkey was basically down to the bones.  The chicken, ditto.  The mashed potatoes were finished off.  The ham is now just a soup bone.  My mom's experimental yams were reduced to one small Tupperware container.  Oh, there was a lot of stuffing left, but that always happens.  And there also is a full pan of gravy left too - but that also always happens - at least in this household.  However, all the main dishes were well served, and served us all well.  -Oh, and there's just 1/2 of the cherry pie left!

;)

Stage 3 will begin tomorrow with.. Hmm.. I may have to head out to get some breakfast.  :P
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #128 on: November 25, 2004, 09:29:25 PM »

As for heading to NYC... We'll see.  There really is a bunch of stuff I want and need to get done in Richmond before starting back up here next week with Hallelujah, Baby!  I'll just see how I feel when I wake up - and also see how my Dad feels about the drive.  I forgot that he has done the drive up to Manhattan before, but never into Brooklyn.  Then I had think about it... I've never driven into Brooklyn either.  Queens, yes; Brooklyn, no.  They Mapquested their route and they only have two turns after getting off the Verrazano Bridge, so it's not that difficult a drive.  -And as long as they don't have to deal with coming out of the Lincoln Tunnel - that's still the scariest part of the trip for me when I drive up - I'm sure they'll be fine on their own.  Again, I'll just see how I feel in the morning.

Dr td - I will give Larry a call on his cell if get up there, but since I'd have to head back tomorrow night, I can't really meet up with you guys on Saturday, so...

But it does look I can make it up there for the book signing.  Everything will depend upon how orchestra rehearsals go.  Due to some changes, there will be some "work" going on in the rehearsals, and if we get that work done in the first two days, then I should be all clear for NYC.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #129 on: November 25, 2004, 09:30:41 PM »

Oh, and if you haven't guessed by now - and if you care to know - I'm staying up in Fairfax tonight.  I'm in the traditional post-Thanksgiving Feast Food Coma.  And driving while in a Food Coma is never a good thing.
Make Your Own Luck.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #130 on: November 25, 2004, 09:53:12 PM »

This was exactly what my father's wife said, after we'd finished Thanksgiving dinner and she realized that the stuffing had been prepared and put in a serving dish, but never arrived at the table
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #131 on: November 25, 2004, 09:57:24 PM »

The dessert, cherry pie, prompted  me to teach Cherry Pies Ought To Be You to a friend.  And from there it was on to No Lover.  I played piano for more than two hours, including a rendition of Clap Yo' Hands played entirely with my right fist, no fingers at all.  The key was to do in G-flat.

I have the feeling the Thank You So Much Mrs. Lowesborough-Goodbye line that David Hyde-Pierce is quoted as saying is not written by Cole Porter.

DR Jane, did DR Elmore also send you Kern's Leave It To Jane Jane Jane?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: November 25, 2004, 10:05:31 PM »

Jose, I do hope you will be there for the signing and our post-signing gathering.  It will be too too.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #133 on: November 25, 2004, 10:13:26 PM »

Jose, I do hope you will be there for the signing and our post-signing gathering.  It will be too too.  

Well, with an "invitation" like that...  I will try my best to make it up there.

*A further motivation to make it up to NYC that weekend is that it will be my last chance to get up there for more than just a day until I head up there in March for Penny O's Jewish Thighs.... Hmm...  :-X
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #134 on: November 25, 2004, 10:21:58 PM »

Good night, all.

I am glad that everyone had a nice Thanksgiving (U.S.).[/size][/font]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #135 on: November 25, 2004, 10:51:01 PM »

My sister makes Scarborough Fair Stuffing (her speciality)!  She uses fresh bread and the herbs are parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.  Everyone who had some loved it.

As for the rest of the food, it was fairly traditional:  turkey, jellied and whole cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, green salad.  My mom (who's German) made German dumplings, which I think are like Matzah (sp?) balls but larger and not salty at all.  She also made some cheesy broccoli dish.  For dessert, there was a pumpkin pie from Costco (I made real whipped cream) and my mom made cream puffs.  Both were very good. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #136 on: November 25, 2004, 10:58:07 PM »

Even though I didn't have the turkey (ick), I did fill up with other stuff.  After dinner and dessert, we played Phase 10.  My dad won...darn it.  Now, I'm at home and will be going to sleep quite soon, so good night and have a pleasant tomorrow...a "Saturday Night Live" reference!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: November 25, 2004, 11:07:39 PM »

... Well, since we're not officially in the Christmas season...

And to all a Good Night.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #138 on: November 25, 2004, 11:19:23 PM »

It was a lovely Thanksgiving and I too am stuffed. bk was a charming guest and brought a great housewarming gift -- a marvelous stereopticon. No household should be without one. Abie fell in love with bk (who fed him from the table -- oy!) and is now stretched out in the guest room, dreaming of turkey. The cleaning up is basically done and I'm ready to take a walk. Which probably is not a great idea this time of night.
Once more, a Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Panni

« Reply #139 on: November 25, 2004, 11:21:13 PM »

To clarify - ABIE is stretched out in the guest room, dreaming of turkey, not bk.

Panni

« Reply #140 on: November 25, 2004, 11:41:29 PM »

Panni did the cook downstairs have Madagascar Bourbon pure vanilla extract?

It was Tahitian Blend Pure Vanilla Extract.

MERDE, TCB!!!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up