Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: TURKEY LURKEY TIME  (Read 21612 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:TURKEY LURKEY TIME
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2004, 08:39:19 AM »

I knew Doris Day and Martha Raye sang "Why Can't I?" in the movie JUMBO, but I wasn't sure if that was from JUMBO or interpolated into the film, so I had to go look it up.

The song is actually from SPRING IS HERE.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2004, 08:40:47 AM »

DRRLP we need to see those photos!

Happy Thanksgiving (US) to everyone at HHW.  Well we cooked our turkey yesterday, with stuffing, and a big salad.  Pumpkin pie with whipped cream. And side dishes of peas and corn.  So it will soon be time to eat!  And then eat some more....and turkey sandwiches tomorrow!

Even though DRPANNI already mentioned it, I keep imagining that sooner or later will unroll one of those rugs and Elizabeth Taylor will show up!

Never heard of WICKER....hmmmmmmmmmmm

DRNOEL I did not know "Hey Jimmy Joe John Jim Jack" was from a musical.  The only recording I have of it is on a Debbie Reynolds CD....she does a great version of it, and it's nearly my favorite selection on the CD!

Obscure....hmmmmmmm.....I love how Virginia Vestoff sings "A Man with a Load of Mischief"....."When I First Saw You" from DREAMGIRLS is so beautiful...."Twinkle Lullaby" sung by Doris Day in  the movie MOVE OVER, DARLING......

So DRJOSE....what's the story with Steve....we haven't heard anything else....and enquiring minds want to know.

Grey corduroy pants with a red/green/grey paisley shirt and white socks!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2004, 08:47:44 AM »

Not very obscure, but rarely performed favorites:

"Zip" (Rodgers and Hart)

"I Can Cook, Too!"  (Bernstein and Comden & Green)

Pretty obscure:

"Thank You So Much, Mrs. Lowesbury-Goodbee"  (Porter)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 10:04:48 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2004, 08:50:46 AM »

Off to watch the Macy's parade, on tape delay here in the West.

Watching the parade was something the Dear Brother/Dear Reader Stuart and I really enjoyed doing together in our younger days, so, so not so long ago.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 08:51:58 AM by Jay »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2004, 08:58:27 AM »

Zip! I was reading Schopenhauer last night.
Zip! And I think that Schopenhauer was right!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2004, 09:00:36 AM »

A beautiful Thanksgiving day here in the City of Studio.  Today I shall lounge about in my lounging pyjamas and watch DVDs.  And read the plethora of postings I know there will be.  Then I shall mosey over to dear reader Panni's home environment and eat the Thanksgiving Dinner she's prepared, since neither of us had plans this year.  Most years I've gone to the Jones's, but this year the Jones's were going elsewhere, so dear reader Panni (who also usually has somewhere to go) kindly offered to do up a Thanksgiving dinner.  I will, of course, have a full report on its contents.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2004, 09:01:44 AM »

I, for one, am also thankful you survived your bout with poor health and I'm wishin' and hopin' and prayin' that you're recovering FOR GOOD!

DRRLP, thank you for the kind thoughts, and I hope that you are also recovering nicely from your bout of poor health.

The Macy's parade just had a brief salute to New York City Ballet and the 5oth anniversary of Balanchine's NUTCRACKER this year.  The City Ballet production is so wonderful that it's one of the guaranteed things to put me into a holiday mood.  I may have to run out and buy a wreath tomorrow.

For all you DRs who have a long weekend because of today, can you tell us what your plans are?  We all know what DRtd is up to, and I can't wait to see him again on Saturday.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2004, 09:03:28 AM »

DRJRand54,

Zip! That Stokowski leads the greatest of bands
Zip! Jurgen's Lotion does the trick for his hands
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2004, 09:16:56 AM »

As for obscure songs...

When I was playing for the musical theatre department at Catholic University, some of my students were on true missions to find songs that no one else in the department had sung, so they dug up a lot of obscure songs.  Of course, some of the songs they dug up are obscure for a reason.  But... Favorite ones...

"Close Upon the Hour" - OH!!!  I bet the readers of this site can clear this mystery up for me!!!!  OH! OH! OH!  When I was given the music for this song, I was told it was composed by Stephen Schwartz for a version of King of Hearts.  Plus, the copy I had was in manuscript, and it was apparently in Mr. Schwartz's own hand.  A few years later when I met Michael Cole, Mr. Schwartz's assistant, I asked him about the music, and he had never heard about it before.  So...  Is there any DR out there who can solve my mystery?  Is it really from King of Hearts?  Is it really by Stephen Schwartz?  -And it's probably not that mysterious at all...

"Karen's Song(s)" - from Quilt.  The first one is my favorite.  The last section with the key and tempo change always moves me.

"I Love You, Goodbye" (The Rose's Song) from The Little Prince (Cummins & Scoullar) - Beautiful - And hearing Jill Geddes sing this song night after night was pure bliss.

"Dreams of Heaven" and "Heroes" from Three Guys Naked from the Waist Down.

"A Recipe for Cheesecake" and "Snow" and "Wings" from Wings (Jeff Lunden and Arthur Perlman) - I played keyboards for the production at Signature Theatre a couple of years ago.  A musical about a woman with stroke-induced aphasia?!?  A surprisingly (for me) moving piece.  And our Emily, Dana Kreuger, truly deserved all the praise - and the Helen Hayes award too - for her portrayal.

"Let It Sing" from Violet - Whenever I need a pick me up or some inspiration/motivation...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2004, 09:22:46 AM »

"Close Upon the Hour" - OH!!!  I bet the readers of this site can clear this mystery up for me!!!!  OH! OH! OH!  When I was given the music for this song, I was told it was composed by Stephen Schwartz for a version of King of Hearts.  Plus, the copy I had was in manuscript, and it was apparently in Mr. Schwartz's own hand.  A few years later when I met Michael Cole, Mr. Schwartz's assistant, I asked him about the music, and he had never heard about it before.  So...  Is there any DR out there who can solve my mystery?  Is it really from King of Hearts?  Is it really by Stephen Schwartz?  -And it's probably not that mysterious at all...

DRJose, it's by Peter Link, whose score for THE KING OF HEARTS has some wonderful things in it.  Peter also did a wonderful ragtime score for the Public Theatre's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING with Sam Waterston.

MBarnum

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2004, 09:24:26 AM »

A great big happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

MBarnum

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2004, 09:37:50 AM »

BK, I had the same opinion of Marceline Day after seeing her in THE CAMERAMAN  few years back. What a lovely, beautiful actress she was. She died just a few years ago at age 92.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2004, 09:42:27 AM »

I must look her up on the imdb.  Not only beautiful, but a terrific subtle actress in The Cameraman.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2004, 09:52:18 AM »

I alluded to this perspective thing before, and DR Jay's mention of I Can Cook Too works as an example.  Where I come from, this is not a "rarely done" song.  When an exceptionally strong soprano wanted to use it to show off her belt, Sara Lazarus and I both said "Find something else - I Can Cook Too is done WAY too often."  I wonder if DR Jose will confirm it's one of the top twenty most done audition songs

My favorite recording of Why Can't I is Joan Morris and, I believe, Lucy Simon.

For a long time, I didn't know Hey Jimmy Joe John Jim Jack was from a musical either.  I knew it from a Limelighters' album called (almost eponymously), Through Children's Eyes.  Imagine my surprise when, as an adult, I heard George Gobel's rendition.

That's right: Gobel, Gobel
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2004, 09:57:29 AM »

LOL DRELMORE

Zip! Walter Lippman wasn't brilliant today.
Zip! Will Saroyan ever write a great play?   ;D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 09:58:40 AM by JRand54 »

td

• td
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2004, 09:57:43 AM »

HAPPY THANKSGIVING DAY TO ONE AND ALL!

The turkey is set to come out, not of the closet, of the oven in about forty five minutes; the sweet potato casserole will go into the oven in about twenty minutes; the cole slaw is chilling, as are the cranberries, potatoes to be mashed are on the stove AND the pies baked last night look marvelous.
I hope everyone here has a beautiful day with friends, family and fine foods.
DRElmore3003 - who knows? maybe we might meet up at Academy in the morning, a little before noon. . .I get in at 9:00am, and have to do things until check-in, one of those things is hit the streets!  I have a list of people I must call once I arrive and I will be doing that in the lobby of the Marriot Marquis, maybe with a bloody mary in hand. . . ;)
I spoke to my traveling mate a little while ago, he's already weary and tired from his adventuring in LA, so we've got to get some good high energy vibes floating Alex' way. . .
(Thanks BK for recommending your books to Alex at the birthday bash!)

Now, I'm just putting the little things together for the trip:  toiletries,  cds, reading material (hmmmm. . .a mystery seems to be in order), then it's off to the kitchen to slice, set and chow down.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2004, 09:59:50 AM »

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, ALL!

The candied yams are almost ready and the place smells quite yumillicious. The fridge is groaning with all sorts of delish items. The petite turkey (Tiffany) awaits my magic touch.

MBarnum - I hope you were watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (I have it on in the bg) - the Broadway cast performed Shakala, Baby! a little while ago.

Michael

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2004, 10:00:52 AM »

I went looking for a movie to watch today and this is how the film was listed.

"A young girl awakens in an alien landscape to discover she has accidentally killed a woman. She later conspires with three strangers to kill again."

Anyone care to guess what this movie is?
Never stop dreaming.

td

• td
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2004, 10:01:02 AM »

I like "Flattery" from WHOOP-UP!
"When I'm Drunk, I'm Beautiful" from PRETTYBELLE
"Marty the Martian" and "Sweet Zoo" from AN EVENING WITH HARRY STOOMES
"Bethlehem" from MARTIN GUERRE
"Only Heaven Knows" from ONLY HEAVEN KNOWS

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2004, 10:01:52 AM »

Thanks for the cookbook story, DR Jose. I borrowed some vanilla extract from downstairs this morning. You were right - it's handy to have a cook downstairs.

td

• td
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2004, 10:02:00 AM »

I went looking for a movie to watch today and this is how the film was listed.

"A young girl awakens in an alien landscape to discover she has accidentally killed a woman. She later conspires with three strangers to kill again."

Anyone care to guess what this movie is?

DR MDS is watching THE WIZARD OF OZ!

Last night, I watched SAVED! and laughed quite a bit.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2004, 10:02:16 AM »

DRJose, it's by Peter Link, whose score for THE KING OF HEARTS has some wonderful things in it.  Peter also did a wonderful ragtime score for the Public Theatre's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING with Sam Waterston.

Thank you, DR elmore, you fount of knowledge.

I guess I should have added that the person - actually a teacher - who gave me the music, said she got it directly from Mr. Schwartz.  ???  Oh, and the kicker is is that a  friend of hers wanted her to sing it at his wedding.  ???  Not exactly a song with nuptial sentiments.

Is the song recorded?  The CD is one of those that I've hedged on buying each time I see it.  -And there's no song listing on the case - at least on the copies I've seen.  -Which further added to my confusion/questioning.
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2004, 10:02:50 AM »

Thanks for the cookbook story, DR Jose. I borrowed some vanilla extract from downstairs this morning. You were right - it's handy to have a cook downstairs.

DR Panni!  I had to borrow vanilla extract last night from my cousin just down the road!   ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2004, 10:10:18 AM »

I alluded to this perspective thing before, and DR Jay's mention of I Can Cook Too works as an example.  Where I come from, this is not a "rarely done" song.  When an exceptionally strong soprano wanted to use it to show off her belt, Sara Lazarus and I both said "Find something else - I Can Cook Too is done WAY too often."  I wonder if DR Jose will confirm it's one of the top twenty most done audition songs

Amen, Brother Noel!  Not only is it one of the top twenty most done audition songs done at auditions, it's one of the top twenty - maybe even top five! - songs butchered at auditions.  The singer either wants it fast... very fast!  (The intro almost becomes a tremolo!) And/or she doesn't belt it!  What's up with that?!?!?  ("Oh, but I really like the lyric.")  Of course, my favorite was the time a young woman brought it in, and she had it transposed down a fourth.  A fourth?!?!?  What's the purpose then?!?!?

It's a very sad situation, because it's a great song on it's own when it's done well.  Unfortunately, "How Could I Ever Know?" has suffered the same fate ever since the vocal selections were published.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2004, 10:10:56 AM »

I must look her up on the imdb.  Not only beautiful, but a terrific subtle actress in The Cameraman.

She made quite a few silent films and some sound films in the early 30s...some of which are available on DVD.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2004, 10:13:00 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, I've dilly-dallied long enough here at the apartment.  I started cleaning up and organizing some stuff in my room... So.. Dinner won't be served until at least 6:00 so I still have a good chunk of time to make it up to Fairfax.

OH!  And the sun is out!  And the sky is a beautiful, clear blue!  YEAH!!!  Perfect Thanksgiving Day driving weather!

So...  See all of you DRs from Fairfax in a few hours!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2004, 10:13:30 AM »

DRJose, yes, the song is on the cast album.

DRPanni, I think it's so cute you named your turkey Tiffany.  Now I want to name all the foodstuffs in my apartment!  I may go for rhymes,  like Teddy Reddiwhip and Toby Lumpkin pumpkin pie.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2004, 10:14:30 AM »

I've said this several times here, but I will repeat it: my favorite unknown song is from BK's UNSUNG SONDHEIM CD: "Water Under the Bridge," and Debbie Gravitte's rendition is unparalleled in power and impact. She puts Liza's lame attempt on THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM CELEBRATION set to pure and utter shame.
I LOVE this song, also!  And I don't like Liza's version either.  Debbie's version (as recorded by our very own BK) is the definitive version!

Pretty obscure:

"Thank You So Much, Mrs. Lowesbury-Goodbee"  (Porter)
The only recording of this that I know of is the from "Cole Porter:  A Musical Tribute," performed by David Hyde Pierce.  My favorite line:  "He said he'd call." ;)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 10:15:21 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jay

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2004, 10:15:36 AM »

Speaking of The Nutcracker...

You can add "Tchaikowsky" (Weill and Gershwin) to my list of favorite obscure/not-so-obscure-but-rarely-performed songs.

Jay

« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2004, 10:16:17 AM »

I love Russian composers!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up