Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: TURKEY LURKEY TIME  (Read 22768 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:TURKEY LURKEY TIME
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2004, 10:20:56 AM »

The only recording of this that I know of is the from "Cole Porter:  A Musical Tribute," performed by David Hyde Pierce.  My favorite line:  "He said he'd call." ;)

One of the Ben Bagley albums features Miss Katharine Hepburn singing [sic] this song.  How I wish I had that album in my musical library.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2004, 10:22:02 AM »

May I suggest the turkey trot as our terpsichorean entree to Page 3?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2004, 10:23:21 AM »

Topic of the Day:  I love the cast recording to One Man Band.  Has anyone heard of (or just heard) that show?  It is a one man (with three back-up singers) show about a man whose wife left him even though he's still totally in love with her.  At the end of the show, you realize that she didn't leave him, she died and he finally accepts it.  Very bittersweet.

As for food-stuffs and familial celebrations, I'm off now to my sister's.  It'll take me all of 30 seconds to get there (we live next door to each other).  So, have a great day everyone!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2004, 10:23:26 AM »

Russian composers are always in a hurry.  We don't allow groaning here at haineshisway.com but we do allow gobbling.  I just played the piano for twenty minutes.  I rarely do that, but I felt like it this morning.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2004, 10:28:58 AM »

One of the Ben Bagley albums features Miss Katharine Hepburn singing [sic] this song.  How I wish I had that album in my musical library.

DRJay, maybe someone could send you a CD of COLE PORTER REVISITED VOL. 4.  I also remember a recording of it by Porter himself.  I sort of recall one on the Mermaid Theatre "Cole" album, but I could be wrong.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jay

« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2004, 10:40:35 AM »

I sort of recall one on the Mermaid Theatre "Cole" album, but I could be wrong.

That album I do have in my collection, and it served as my introduction to the song.  "Lost Liberty Blues" and "Laziest Gal in Town" are but two other highlights from this marvelous recording.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2004, 10:43:39 AM »

Zip! Rip Van Winkle on the screen would be smart.
Zip! Tyrone Power will be cast in the part.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jay

« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2004, 10:45:48 AM »

Has the Macy's parade always been so blatant in its subtle and not so subtle plugs for products and recording artists (and I use that latter term loosely)?  I don't recall it being such a three-hour commercial from when I watched it in my younger days.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2004, 11:01:39 AM »

I have read the great Kabala
And I simply worship Allah
Zip!  I am just a mystic
I don't care for Shubert's brother,
Charley's Aunt, or Whistler's Mother
Zip! I'm mysogynistic
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 11:02:19 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2004, 11:02:24 AM »

Happy Thanksgiving DR's.  No cooking here today.  Just topping off the Ina Garten's pumpkin mousse tart with pecan toffee and heading to my Aunts to endure the 23 people and tons of food, and to supervise the frying of the turkey.  

Danise

« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2004, 11:18:08 AM »

Has the Macy's parade always been so blatant in its subtle and not so subtle plugs for products and recording artists (and I use that latter term loosely)?  I don't recall it being such a three-hour commercial from when I watched it in my younger days.

I was wondering the same thing.  Is because we were kids that we didn't notice it or was it something different?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jennifer

« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2004, 11:30:06 AM »

Wow, DR Emily I can't believe that it's been 15 years since the Polytechnique Massacre.  I had just started at Concordia when that happened.

George

« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2004, 11:35:12 AM »

It's 11:30 (a.m., PST), I'm at my sister's and I just found out that WE'RE NOT EATING UNTIL 5:00 P.M.!!  Why did my sister want me here at 10:00 a.m.?  Okay, I actually got here at 10:30, but still.  So far, there's nothing to do, so I ate a vanilla bean yogurt.  That's been my morning.  I'm sure it'll pick up when my sister has decided why she needed me here so early and we actually start to clean up.  But her house is quite neat.  It doesn't need to be picked up...and I don't think it's that lonely! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2004, 11:36:24 AM »

Hmmmm, a few of you commented on last night's Bachelor finale.  I actually enjoyed it.  The show can get a bit weird (I mean WHY does a guy need to make out with different women on consecutive nights????).

But last night's finale was really sweet.  The woman he chose (Mary) was from a previous Bachelor (she was one of the final 3 when Bob was on).  I totally loved her then.  So it was really nice to see her get her fairytale ending.  And from what I've heard, Byron really does love her.  So I actually believe we shall see a wedding!

George

« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2004, 11:38:14 AM »

I taped the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  It doesn't surprise me that the parade has become a plug-fest.  Just another example of capitalism at it's finest.  Welcome to America! ;D

Jennifer

« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2004, 11:38:15 AM »

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2004, 11:47:10 AM »

HAPPY THANKSGIVING,
TO ONE AND ALL!!

I apologize for being e & t so much of the time in the last few weeks.  Tomorrow night is the opening of SCROOGE, THE MUSICAL; and, I am afraid, I am feeling like a somewhat-less than perfect Scrooge.  I guess I expected more of myself.  Maybe I am just tired.  Maybe I am just old.  Maybe I am just old and tired.  Oh well, too late to replace me now.  I will go on, and I will give it my best.

I am spending the afternoon with my friends Sharry and Micheal.  It will probably be an early evening for me.

I would just like to say, how thankful I am too have all of you as part of my life.  I love you all!

« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 11:48:14 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2004, 11:49:13 AM »

I took the cornbread out of the oven 40 minutes ago.

It turned out beautifully (baked it in a pre-heated/oiled iron skillet).

I've had two pieces already.  Now I have to delay having stew because I'm quite sated.

But the combo will be marvy....

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
Eat, everyone, EAT![/move]
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 11:50:59 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Danise

« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2004, 12:03:04 PM »

Break a leg, TCB!  I think you will be wonderful! :)

RLP, do you make your cornbread slightly sweet?  That's the way I like mine.

As for last night's Bachelor, Jennifer, I found it discusting how Byron led those two women on a merry dance. By the way he kissed the one he didn't pick every two seconds, one wonders if he didn't whisper in her ear that if things didn't work out with the other one, he'd be in touch.  

I had never watched that show before and never will again.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2004, 12:13:16 PM »

Thanks, Danise!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2004, 01:20:25 PM »

HAPPY THANKGIVING!!

DRLaura the church is coming along nicely.  I had to tilt my head to the side to see the cross.  Is it in a window?

Jose as soon as you began describing the cinnamon swirl bread I thought- FRENCH TOAST.  Now I want some.
You are right the service at the Cheesecake Factory should have been better, plus the meal for that woman should have been free.  You did say they just opened which must explain the lack of organization.

SWW-thanks for the spoiler-HA, HA! ;D
Your day with the grandlads sounds nice.  I wish I am some grandlands to play with.
Keith and I also enjoyed THE INCREDIBLES.  We thought the voice acting was very good.

Panni thank you for explaining the photos.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2004, 01:33:54 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Greetings from Fairfax!

So... I step into the house and the only here is my mother.  Hmmm...  She was starting to put the good tablecloths on the table and getting the plates and silverware set up.  After some querying, it turns out one of my brothers is currently at the airport picking up my brother, Jay - who was supposed to be here yesterday at Noon, then this morning at 9:00, then...  -He was flying out of Jacksonville, FL.  I didn't realize Jacksonville was having weather issues too yesterday.  Maybe they did, and it just didn't make the news - at least in Richmond.  One of my other brothers just called, and he's about to head over with his family.  My father is I-don't-know-where.  My mom thinks he may have gone out for some last minute shopping - I did notice there were no onions or celery in the fridge.  Or he may be out with my Aunt and her daughters just driving them around DC, showing them the sites.  Or a combination of the two.  Hmmm...

Well, I'm here, and that's all that matters!   ;D

There's a ham in the lower over staying warm.  -And true to fasion, it's already been picked over and sampled quite a few times by now.  Mashed potatoes and a sweet potato casserole are warming in the upper over - I put them in there.  And the turkey is still marinating - they're going to deep fry it again this year.  I set the rolls and pies I brought out on the kitchen counter, and now I'm just waiting for everyone to show up so I we can eat!

In the meantime, I've been snacking on some peanuts that my Aunt brought with her from San Diego, from one of the Filipino grocery stores.  They're quite tasty!  First of all, they're oil-roasted - well, more like fried in oil, and they've been fried with slivers of garlic.  So good.  And so garlicky!  And the fried garlic chips are very good and garlicky too as they should be.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2004, 01:44:15 PM »

Well, I think things started to get more commercial when more than one network started doing major coverage of the parade.  I was flipping back and forth between NBC and CBS this morning, and you could tell each network had their specific highlights and featured acts.  And if you want a balloon in the parade, the character has to be commercial in order for their to be money to build it.  And just like Broadway shows are avenues for product placement, it's probably more a matter of a company approaching Macy's to be in the parade rather than the other way around.

I missed all the Broadway performances on NBC, but I did catch the ones from Brooklyn and The Producers on CBS which were done on location - one location being on a platform with the Brooklyn Bridge as the backdrop, and the other one being the St. James Theatre - well, on the street outside the St. James Theatre.  - 45th, I think.

I normally stick with the NBC coverage, but the CBS coverage was fun, and some of their guest commentators were fun too.  I especially liked seeing "Rod" and Jahn Tartaglia, as well as Michael Park.  -Sheesh, I wish he would take a break from "As the World Turns" and go back to the stage.

Of course, both networks utilized lip-syncing, but that's sort of inevitable under the circumstances.  However, I had to wonder if the CBS performances were partially live.  Hmm...  And NBC had some true unknowns featured - at least unknown to me.  And did NBC's soap opera, "Passions" really deserve a car?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2004, 01:54:20 PM »

Ooohhh!  I did have one bit of "unpleasantness" during the ride up from Richmond.  I had turned on WCVE, the public radio station, and they were playing a recording of a concert of one of the local amateur symphonies.  Today's selection was the Tschaikovsky Piano Concerto, No. 1 in B-flat minor - a standard war horse.  There was a brief intro done by the announcer, the conductor and the soloist.  Then the music started... OUCH!  The opening horn line was not quite in tune, and then the strings came in... and then the winds...  Eh...  Yes, it was the amateur - there's another term to use here, but it escapes me at the moment - symphony in town, but still...

Then there was some strangeness in the second movement.  It started sounding like one of the microphones was placed right above the last chair violinist.  And I mean the last chair.  The intonation was way off.  The rhythm was way off.  Everything was off.  But it was starting to overtake the level of the orchestra and the soloist.  This went on for a few more seconds...  I almost changed the channel, then there was this "skip", and all was back to normal... Wait, it started again..  Then it was back to normal again.  And stayed that way.  In retrospect, it sounded like another playing device had started in the broadcast studio, and started playing another piece against the Tschaik.  A little Ives-ian moment, I guess.  Well, then I had to listen to the rest of the concerto to see if the announcer was going to mention the snafu.  No such luck.  Ah, well...

Then I put on the OCR of Wicked, and that carried me the rest of the way up north.

...Still no one else here except me and my mother.  And my grumbling stomach...  :-X

:P
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2004, 01:57:41 PM »

I'm at home for the moment, checking e-mail, HHW and getting some diet Pepsi for the family and I also checked TVGuide.com.  The second question in this week's (new every Thursday) Flickchick column on tvguide.com was this:

Question: I always hear people saying "Be afraid, be very afraid!" Is this from a movie? — Debbie

Flickchick: It's the advertising tag line from David Cronenberg's The Fly (1986), and has got to be the most widely quoted piece of movie-related ad copy since "In space, no one can hear you scream." That was, of course, the tag line for the original Alien (1979). A toast, then, to the unsung copywriters who've added so many fine phrases to our daily discourse. Except for Vinny Warden of DDB Needham Chicago, who wrote the Budweiser "Wassup" ad campaign; a year of hearing frat boys, drunken losers and sundry hail-fellows-well-met croak "Wassup!" brought me to within a hair of bursting a blood vessel.

Too bad that the Flickchick didn't mention WHO actually wrote the script!  Damn her...damn her to hell! ::)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2004, 01:57:54 PM »

Break a leg, TCB!  I think you will be wonderful! :)

RLP, do you make your cornbread slightly sweet?  That's the way I like mine.

As for last night's Bachelor, Jennifer, I found it discusting how Byron led those two women on a merry dance. By the way he kissed the one he didn't pick every two seconds, one wonders if he didn't whisper in her ear that if things didn't work out with the other one, he'd be in touch.  

I had never watched that show before and never will again.  

I don't I've made it through one full hour of "The Bachelor" nor the "The Bachelorette".  The whole enterprise is just smarmy to me.

And speaking of bad TV, I somehow found myself watching the following earlier in the week: "The Big 25 Million Dollar Hoax - Finale", an episode of Bravo's "Manhunt", and some other reality show that I've blocked from my brain already.  P! U!

However, I did catch "The Amazing Race", and I found that quite watchable.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2004, 02:00:50 PM »

Just met up with the Wechter clan at Tommy's Burgers (they'd played a father/son's baseball game).  I only had a Diet Coke as I'll be eating in a mere two hours (and posting on location as the food goes down my gaping maw and my hugry gullet.

Jay

« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2004, 02:01:24 PM »

Off to the County of Orange and Thanksgiving dinner with The Dear Mother.  We're going to a restaurant with an ocean view in the Beach of Laguna.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2004, 02:06:22 PM »

I'm at home for the moment, checking e-mail, HHW and getting some diet Pepsi for the family and I also checked TVGuide.com.  The second question in this week's (new every Thursday) Flickchick column on tvguide.com was this:Too bad that the Flickchick didn't mention WHO actually wrote the script!  Damn her...damn her to hell! ::)

Hmmm... I suspect a Letter to the Editor is in oder.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2004, 02:07:23 PM »

Just met up with the Wechter clan at Tommy's Burgers (they'd played a father/son's baseball game).  I only had a Diet Coke as I'll be eating in a mere two hours (and posting on location as the food goes down my gaping maw and my hugry gullet.

Which location of Tommy's?  The original?  Or the one on Hollywood Blvd?  (which I don't think is the original)  Or some other location?
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up