Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: TURKEY LURKEY TIME  (Read 22860 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:TURKEY LURKEY TIME
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2004, 02:07:47 PM »

Hmm... I think I smell something possibly burning downstairs...

BRB
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2004, 02:08:14 PM »

Que esta "hugry  gullet"?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2004, 02:09:59 PM »

B...

Nothing burning.  Just some weird confluence of aromas.

However, I will say that for a registered dietitian, my mom sure knows how to cook like a non-registered, non-dietitian!

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2004, 02:24:04 PM »

OH!  They have a website!

Original Tommy's
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2004, 02:25:14 PM »

Ohh... a bag of roasted chestnuts...

I want my turkey!

-Don't make me attempt another Irving Berlin parody!?!?!?!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2004, 02:27:37 PM »

Tiffany's doing her thing in the oven. She looks quite yumilicious. The oven tried to fool me -- seems that the knobs do not quite tell the truth. Thus Tiffany was doing her thing a bit too fast, which is not good. I think I have it figured out now. Keep your fingers crossed, DRs, or the wrath of a hungry bk will be upon me. Almost everything is done except the rolls and the mashed potatoes (the potaters are boiling as I write; the rolls will be made close to dinnertime).
Soon I will shower.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2004, 02:41:05 PM »

This Tommy's is on Laurel Canyon and Burbank Blvd.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2004, 02:44:04 PM »

My copy of Writer's Block arrived this morning. The packing envelope had been opened, and I wonder if someone at Canada Customs or the loading dock of my building started reading WB and couldn't put it down - because, from the chapters I've read so far, that's exactly the kind of book it is.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2004, 03:20:41 PM »

Hopefully your CD was in there.

I tell you, Thanksgiving at haineshisway.com is the cranberries.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2004, 03:47:14 PM »

Next post will be "on location".

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2004, 04:33:25 PM »

For the EXTREMELY obscure, does anybody know With My Eyes Wide Open from Brooklyn Dreams.  Has anybody heard of Brooklyn Dreams?  I know it sounds like a combination of two current Broadway duds.  The last line of the bridge of My Eyes Wide Open still brings tears to my eyes (wide open): Morning is the best time, 'cause I'll wake up, and he'll be there.

Let me guess.  Is that a musical version of the movie The Lords of Flatbush, with Sly Stalone and our very own Cindy Williams?
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2004, 04:49:18 PM »

Good E-Ve-Ning!

Stage 1 of Thanksgiving Simbulan Style, 2004, has just ended...

Since my brothers were running late, and my father was indeed taking my aunt and uncle of a sight-seeing tour of DC, I went ahead and manned the kitchen for a while getting the rest of the meal together.  I made the stuffing - sort of an improvised cornbread version with lots of butter.  I took the whole chicken out of the fridge so that it would not be so cold once it hit the hot oil - they were going to deep fry that instead, whole.  I cleaned dishes, cooking utensils, etc.  -For being food service people, my parents seem to ignore the rules for cross-contamination when it comes to the home environment.  "Why are you slicing the ham with the knife you just cut the raw chicken with!?!?"  -Thankfully, I had washed enough of the "used" utensils in order to supply a fresh and sanitary supply for the continuing meal preparations.  -I get anal that way.  Must be that Alton Brown influence!

My sister-in-law ended up making a Turkey at home earlier which turned out very tasty and not at all dry.  She improvised a Mediterranean seasoning mixture for it - lots of herbs, lemon, etc.  And I have to say, I was quite impressed with her results since she normally tends to over-cook and over-season everything... on purpose.  -It's what she's used to.

My brother, Mike, had to gerry-rig some hangers in order to fry up the whole chicken since the turkey holder was too big for the job.  Thankfully, we had enough oil in the house in order for him to deep fry the chicken.  -And, that was some pretty good chicken!

The mashed potatoes were laden with sour cream and butter.  My mom had apparently improvised with the yams.  They tasted good, but we all thought something was different.  She didn't want them too sweet this year, and she wanted an extra creaminess to them.  She was short on cream, so she substituted a can of coconut milk and added some chopped apples.  Very interesting, but very good variation.  In fact, when I took my first spoonful, I thought it tasted like ginitan which is Filipino dessert "stew" made with coconut milk and various root vegetables.  Well, she did cut down on the sugar, but with the coconut milk, who knows what the fat content turned out to be.  But we all know fat grams don't count on Thanksgiving anyway.

Then my Dad walked through the door.... with about 30 live crabs he had bought at Fisherman's Wharf downtown.  Big blues!  So, we kept the flame going outside from the deep-frying and he divided the crabs among two big pots and got them cooked.

There was a "mystery pie" sitting on the counter.  It looked like pecan pie, but it didn't have a crust.  Once I took a bite, I thought it was sweet potato pie.  Then the bell went off in my father's head.  He had bought and cooked a store bought sweet potato casserole.

The pies I brought started being consumed.  The cherry pie is good, but the Chocolate Pecan Pie... WOW!  It's basically a chocolate chess/custard pie with pecans.  Very good, and sinfully rich.  Of course, I've had a slice and a half already.

In short, there was plenty of food on the table.  And there is still plent of food on the table.  I just had one generous plates-worth so far, but I know I'm going to graze off and on over the next couple of hours.  -At least have another slice of pie... gently warmed.. with some vanilla ice cream...

;D

Oh, and is the tradition with Simbulan family gatherings, there were lots of pictures taken.  I'll see which ones I can get to post here tonight.  We'll see.

Oh, and my niece, Alyssa, likes me today.  She won't let me hold her, but she's been giving me little kisses - besitos - all evening.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2004, 04:53:24 PM »

OH!  And there was that ham too!

...And it looks like I may be heading up to NYC tomorrow - Brooklyn, actually.  My relatives who are here, will be attending a debutante ball for one of my distant cousins.  ???  Well, my Dad will be driving them.  However, my Dad has never really driven in New York, so...  I don't have my formal wear with me, so if I end up driving them up, I'll most likely be hanging out in Manhattan for most of the day.  The only drawback to the day is that they will be driving back tomorrow night since, as we all know, the hotels have been booked for weeks!  Again, we'll see...

OK.. Time for some Must-See TV.... and another slice of pie!
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #103 on: November 25, 2004, 04:56:26 PM »

DR Jose - IF you do get up to NYC, give Larry a call, he'll know how to get in touch with me. . and you could join us all for dinner on Saturday, if you'd like. . . ;D
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Panni

« Reply #104 on: November 25, 2004, 04:58:28 PM »

Posting on location - dinner is very good so far - rolls with butter, candied yame with butter, mashed potatoes with butter, turkey, stuffing, cranberries - I've only done one helping and I'm already close to exploding.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2004, 05:02:10 PM »

John Barrowman Alert!

Tomorrow, at 13:00 ET/10:00 PT, the Sci-Fi Channel will air Shark Attack III:  Megalodon--one of the most ludicrous shark movies ever made--it swallows boats, it swallows jet-skis, it swallows bodyguards in tuxedos!--but still not as weird as Peter Benchly's The Beast, which is on right now.  However Megalodon does have John Barrowman for eye candy.  Here he is conducting a musical theatre workshop in Jolliet IL:
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2004, 05:50:39 PM »

Conducting it with his feet?

I was looking at Yahoo and a headline read:

THONGS CROWD SIDEWALKS IN NYC FOR PARADE

I looked again and realized it read:

THRONGS CROWD SIDEWALKS IN NYC FOR PARADE

So MR BK were you given the tour of the new PANNI PREMISES?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2004, 06:39:37 PM »

DR Danise:  You are not alone in liking your cornbread slightly sweet.  There's not a mix out there that doesn't have sugar in it.

BUT...I am not among your numbers.  Thus, I have to make my cornbread from scratch every time.  Back east, in the south, it's common to be able to find cornbread mix alongside the flour....a mixture of flour and cornmeal, that is, ready for mixing with eggs, milk and oil.  Here on the west coast,  I have to buy the cornmeal and the flour separately.  And I use buttermilk for extra tastiness.

:D

I like my cornbread without the sugar.  
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 06:42:27 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2004, 06:44:24 PM »

Thanksgiving greetings!  We hosted a small gathering today for our son, who's home from college, my mother, my mother-in-law, and a couple who live in the same retirement community as M-I-L.  Menu was very traditional - turkey, stuffing, candied sweet potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce (whole berry and jellied), cranberry Jello salad, rolls, and 2 kinds of pie (apple and pumpkin).  I'm very thankful that we still have 2 Grandma's in our family and that one of them brought a lovely Gewertztraminer, which I'm finishing while catching up with all of you DR's.

I, too, noticed the commercialization of the Macy's parade - it's pretty blatant.  We were watching NBC and I was in and out, but especially enjoyed seeing Brooke Shields' number from Wonderful Town, which I had just seen in person last month.  The Thanksgiving parade and the Tony Award broadcast are some of the only opportunities for we hinterlanders to see Broadway performances.  Where's Ed Sullivan when you need him?

Elmore - glad to see you're back safely from DC.  What I had hoped would be a 6-day break from work will be interrupted by my having to work Friday.  Oh well, I have a 3-day weekend afterward and we hope to see The Polar Express, IMAX version.  Also, start decorating for Christmas and making this year's first batch of caramel corn for an AAUW fundraiser this week.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Panni

« Reply #109 on: November 25, 2004, 07:05:43 PM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  You'd think it was Thanksgiving or something.  I'm through eating - I don't really think I ate that much, at least for me, but I feel totally gross and bloated and ready to explode.  Oh, well.  I did eat quite a bit of yams which were very good.

Panni

« Reply #110 on: November 25, 2004, 07:06:57 PM »

Just do you're not confused - I'm writing on location from dear reader Panni's - hence her photo with my posts.

Jennifer

« Reply #111 on: November 25, 2004, 07:26:33 PM »

That's funny, when I read post #109, I was like, "that sounds so much more like BK than DR Panni!" :)

Gee, I want some Thanksgiving food.  It all sounds so good. :(

MBarnum

« Reply #112 on: November 25, 2004, 07:27:27 PM »

Back from Thanksgiving in Corvallis at my nephew's wife's family's house....it was so much fun! I am so fortunate to have such wonderful people in my life...here on HHW and here at home in Oregon!

Highlight of the day was playing inside the miniature "playhouse" out back...this tiny little house was built in the early 1920s for the family's Grandma Jane when she was a tike...it is about the size of a small bedroom and sturdy as heck and very 1920s looking! Even wired for electric lights! Has childsize furniture, stove, brick-a-brack, kitchen utensils, bassinette, etc! My 3 year old grand-neice Taylor, my sister,  and I played in it for quite a while (an adult can stand in it without stooping over) Eventually, others came knocking at the door and the place got crowded, but little Taylor was quite the hostess...she made toast in the little plastic toaster for everyone! LOL!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #113 on: November 25, 2004, 07:31:03 PM »

We're talking favorite obscure show tunes here, and I can go back a long ways:

Jane, Jane, Jane (1903, BABES IN TOYLAND)

Now one of my favorite songs since elmore sent it to me.  :D

Jane

« Reply #114 on: November 25, 2004, 07:34:59 PM »

Happy (US) Thanksgiving to all celebrating today!

The real question of the day: Will DR Jane be serving TOFURKEY? :)

Sorry to have been E&T lately

E & T is the reason you didn't catch my comments regarding TOFURKEY- ;D It taste like cardboard.
We had a lovely dinner at friends tonight-ate everything but the turkey and I'm stuffed.

Ginny

« Reply #115 on: November 25, 2004, 07:46:11 PM »

Oh, as usual, our Thanksgiving guests also nibbled on our centerpiece, too.  I invented it years ago, when we were hosting the holiday dinner on a very tight budget - an inexpensive cornucopia spilling whatever fresh fruit we have on hand (Gala apples, this year), assorted nuts in shells, and Hershey miniatures (I like to have the ones with autumn-motif wrappers, so have to purchase them in early October, otherwise end up with Christmas).  I didn't realize it had become such a tradition until we were at another home one year and a nephew (who I thought never noticed anything) said during the lull between dinner and dessert, "What this table really needs is some of those little candy bars like at Aunt Ginny's."
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #116 on: November 25, 2004, 08:10:20 PM »

Well, I had a wonderful, relaxing afternoon and early evening at my friends'[ home. They fixed a ton of food, and I ate half a ton of it. AFterwards, we watched (and in my case endured) THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK. I can see why it didn't do much box-office in this country. (I think it did better in some overseas markets). A ridiculous waste of time, I thought.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #117 on: November 25, 2004, 08:10:38 PM »

Emily-funny story.  Enjoy your break from school

Lulu it was nice you could visit us for Thanksgiving.  Did your family enjoy the new dishes?

I thought of Bruce tonight when I was forced to eat more of the home made whipped cream on my desserts.  Now I’m sick.

Panni did the cook downstairs have Madagascar Bourbon pure vanilla extract?

TCB have a great opening night.   :D

Alyssa kissed Jose, must have been the best Thanksgiving treat all day.

Ginny I love the idea of your centerpiece.  Did you take a photo you can post?

Off to watch something with Keith and cuddle with the pets.  Echo is already on the bed waiting for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #118 on: November 25, 2004, 08:13:46 PM »

Still did not get to finish WALK ON THE WILD SIDE, but that is definitely on the docket for tomorrow. What else I'll watch is still up in the air at this point.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Michael

« Reply #119 on: November 25, 2004, 08:17:55 PM »

If any one gets the Oxygen network I just noticed that the TV movie Little Gloria: Happy At Last with Bette Davis, Angela Lansbury and me is on. I am in two scenes. Now you see me now you don't. It is during the court battle for custody. It's not a bad film. You might enjoy and see a 20 year younger and thinner me.
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up