Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE POST-GOBBLE GOBBLE  (Read 18850 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE POST-GOBBLE GOBBLE
« on: November 26, 2004, 12:01:11 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've post-gobbled the notes, and now it is time to babble whilst we post-gobble whilst we post until the babble-gobble cows come home.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 11:59:35 PM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:THE POST-GOBBLE GOBBLE
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 12:10:52 AM »

CD player: "A Broadway Christmas" and "A Hollywood Christmas" plus another Christmas compilation from a thoughtful friend.

Favourite track at the moment "Shingle Bells" (Semi private joke!)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 12:33:22 AM »

I posted yesterday about the the marvy housewarming gift that bk alludes to in the Notes - but I'll be happy to do it again. It's an absolutely wonderful stereopticon. A perfect present for me. Why, you may ask. Because my grandfather wore a monocle. I know that makes no sense at all. But I've been thinking about the monocle since getting the stereopticon -- so there MUST be a connection. Or maybe the turkey has just gone to my head.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 05:51:20 AM »

Good Morning!

Media Check... So far, just the OCR of Wicked in my car's CD player - well, my portable with the car adapter.

However, as I was cleaning up some things before heading up to Fairfax yesterday, I did make a pile of "must-play" CDs for this weekend.  Hopefully, by next Friday I'll have a full listing for you.
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 06:01:02 AM »

BK,

To answer your question from yesterday. (Was the CD in the pre-opened envelope that contained my copy of Writer's Block?) Sadly, no. So, someone from Canada Customs or the loading dock of my apt. building is probably listening to it right now.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 06:01:44 AM »

HHHHW*

Thought this was a good recipe for people not sure how to cook.........

Here is a turkey recipe that also includes the use of popcorn as a  stuffing - imagine that!

When I found this recipe, I thought it was perfect for people, like me, who just are not sure how to tell when poultry is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out. Give this a try.

BAKED STUFFED Turkey
6-7 lb.Turkey
1 cup melted butter
1 Bag stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is good.)
1 cup uncooked popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHERS)
Salt/pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush turkey well with melted butter, salt, and pepper. Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in baking pan with the neck end toward the back of the oven. Listen for the popping sounds.

When the turkey's ass blows the oven door open and the turkey flies across the room, it is done.

And, you thought I couldn't cook.

der Brucer

*Heloise's Hints at Haines His Way
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004, 06:02:10 AM »

Alas, I did end up staying in Fairfax this morning.  My parents and aunt and uncle just left for Brooklyn.  Lots of Good No Traffic Vibes for them.  *DR td - I'll catch you during your next NYC jaunt - or maybe even somewhere else. ;)

Once I'm more awake, I'll be heading back down to Richmond, and once I'm there, I'll most likely veg out for the evening.  We shall see...  But I have resolved (sort a She Loves Me reference) to get some major cleaning and sorting and maybe even some purging of crap done this weekend.  It would just be nice to be able to open my closets without having to move boxes of books, files, and junk from in front of them in order to open them.  "I'm not a collector, I just don't throw anything away."

In the meantime, I watching "Jojo's Circus" with my niece, Alexandra.  -I'm surprised I haven't seen this show yet since Jojo is my nickname...

Now... Is it time for a slice of cherry pie for breakfast?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2004, 06:11:38 AM »

Break-a-leg vibes to DR TCB on opening night!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2004, 06:15:28 AM »

I was just considering a slice of cherry pie for breakfast, but my father is making oatmeal and he'd look so much healthier.

Part of Thanksgiving was spent singing the entire score to Lil Abner (we skipped Rag Offen the Bush) and I was once again knocked out by how Mercer came up with such great jokes in what I call tight forms: Jubilation T. Cornpone and Put Em Back have short lines with strict rhyme schemes.  They're hysterical, and each joke tops the last.  Of course, writing in dialect expands the set of possible rhymes you can use.  Just when you think he's used every rhyme for Put 'Em Back the Way They Was, he throws "knew his from huz" at you and you're just startled by how clever (and, seemingly, UN-clever) it is.

I played the tunes by ears and took the lyrics off the internet.  It's often amusing when people (from around the world) write down what they think they're hearing on a record and post inaccurate lyrics on the 'net.  Cole Porter's "ankles like Kit Cornell's" became "uncles like Kip Connell's" - whoever that is.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2004, 06:56:23 AM »

I have nothing planned right to watch or listen as everything is empty
Never stop dreaming.

MBarnum

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2004, 07:29:52 AM »

Well, I did it, I got up at the un-goshly hour of 5am and by 5:35am I was in line in front of K-Mart! I wanted to check out the $1.99 Christmas DVDs. Picked up a few..one looks quite interesting, it is THE GREAT RUPERT and stars Jimmy Durante and Terry Moore along with a stop-motion animated squirrell care of George Pal. Looks like it may be a cute movie. I also got a 1950s TV special of MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET starring Thomas Mitchell and little Sandy (THEM!) Descher. The rest were assorted Christmas type cartoons. I also stopped in at Best Buy which was a mad house. The lines for the checkstands circled the perimeter of the entire store! I decided that I did not need to purchase anything there!

Now I am home with a cup of coffee and feeling very sleepy! Unfortunately I need to get to the grocery store to buy milk...but I guess it will wait.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2004, 08:09:29 AM »

DR Michael S,

I had always wondered who those two actresses were in that scene with Michael Shayne. Thanks for the info in yesterday's post.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 08:09:57 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Danise

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2004, 08:10:07 AM »

HHHHW*der Brucer

DERBRUCER,  I laughed and laughed and laughed at this.  I have to copy it and send it to some friends of mine.  I hope you don't mind.  

Good morning to all!  

Wild horses couldn't drag me out to the stores today.  I have all of my Christmas shopping done already and I really didn't see anything in our local sale papers to tempt me.

I have my Christmas and (C)Hanukah (my first!) cards to make out and send.   Can someone please explain why some of the cards say Chanukah and others Hanukah?  Does it make a difference?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2004, 08:11:35 AM »

Wanted to wish DR tcb a beleted "break a leg" on his SCROOGE performance. Knowing I have an opening coming up in less than a week now makes me very attuned to others doing holiday shows.

The good wishes are also extended to DR Jrand though I'm not sure I remember which show you're in rehearsal for. Please refresh an old man's memory.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Danise

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2004, 08:11:48 AM »

Spoo the quote didn't quote the joke.  Wonder why?  

TCB, Break a leg!  Have a Wonderful show!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2004, 08:13:21 AM »

My dear friends who are having me to dinner tonight have set 7 p.m. as the arrival time, so I will have a good part of the day to indulge in DVD watching. See below Media Check for details.

Seems like I remember my friend telling me they were skipping the traditional Thanksgiving fare tonight, so I'm expecting steak or ribs or something along that line. We'll see. I know there will be lots of food. This couple LOVES food (as do I).

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2004, 08:19:55 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD: LOOK MA, I'M DANCIN' (OBC)

DVD: WALK ON THE WILD SIDE (last 40 minutes)
         GHOST

DVR: Tuesday night's QUEER EYE FOR THE STRAIGHT GUY

VCR: last Friday's LESS THAN PERFECT.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2004, 08:40:58 AM »

Can someone please explain why some of the cards say Chanukah and others Hanukah?  Does it make a difference?

It makes no difference to anyone.

Hanukah is a word the comes from Hebrew, a language that uses a different alphabet from the one we know, and, whenever we try to come up with a spelling (in our alphabet) of a word or name from another alphabet, we try to accurately depict the sound of the word, but spellings often vary.

It's not just Hebrew, of course.  You see many different spellings of Mao Tse-Tung (from Chinese) or Tchaikovsky (from Russian).  And, as somebody once said of a certain Vietnamese leader, "I'm just a girl who can't say Ngo"
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2004, 08:49:48 AM »

DR DIT, I would definitely contact Canada Post.  It's bad enough that they would open your package.  But nothing should be missing.

They are normally quite helpful, although sometimes it depends on who you speak to.  Sometimes I feel I'm getting an idiot!

I was actually on the phone with their 1-888 line this morning. And 2 of the 3 people I spoke to were wonderful.  

Oy, I wish they would solve my problem already (postal code not in the post office's system).

Jennifer

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2004, 08:51:51 AM »

OMG is it cold here today!  It's -4C right now.  Brrrr!

Btw, I am very upset that we (in Canada) miss out on the biggest shopping day of the year (Day After Thanksgiving).  For us the biggest shopping day of the year is I believe Boxing Day (Day After XMas).

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2004, 09:00:28 AM »

HHHHW*der Brucer

That does it.  I'm not letting you into the kitchen for any reason EVER AGAIN!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2004, 09:09:32 AM »

Comments about Broadway performances on yesterday's parades.  Was the CBS stuff not lip-synched?  I know that stuff was pre-taped, but it seemed like they were singing.

Okay and don't laugh but one of my favorite songs was the Barbie Princess and the Pauper number ("A Friend like me" or something like that).  Very addictive song!  I don't know that movie, but it was cute.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2004, 09:16:59 AM »

On the way to der B's family's house yesterday, we listened to some Ferrante & Teicher.  I don't recall anything that we listened to on the way home, because I was very asleep.

It's impossible to watch any DVDs or listen to any CDs in the living room right now, because der B took apart our DVD/CD player in order to hook it up at the family's, then never got around to it and still hasn't got around to putting things back together here at home.

However, we did end up watching The Iron Giant at the family manse.  It was on the Cartoon Networrk, and somehow we turned on the second half of the film while it was running.  William, thrilled to see it playing, shouted "We have that movie!" and ran upstairs to get it.  So we put on the DVD and watched it again...twice!

Oh, as for the King of Hearts cd, I listened to the song on the player in my room after reading yesterday's postings today.  Very nice.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2004, 09:20:45 AM »

In case you don't check out last night's posts, TCB, may I repeat... Merde!
You'll be swell, you'll be great...

Off to Santa Monica to get my carpet.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2004, 09:22:50 AM »

There was one odd item on our Thanksgiving table yesterday.  (Yes, ON the table, not seated around it, although...  ::))  Someone had attempted the traditional green bean casserole, but had left out the mushroom soup and had substituted fluffy onion rings for the French's crunchy rings.  This was NOT an improvement, by any means.  Bleh.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2004, 09:24:28 AM »

Off to Santa Monica to get my carpet.
So, along with her house pet, Abie, Panni is now going to have a car pet!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2004, 09:25:14 AM »

Leg-breaky vibes to TCB!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2004, 09:28:40 AM »

TO GOBBLE OR NOT TO GOBBLE……………. (Oh, never mind)

First, let me thank those dear readers who have offered up good wishes for my opening performance tonight  I plan to spend most of my day at the theater in Port Orchard, near Gig Harbor (the non-Kosher version being Pork Orchard, near Pig Harbor) running through Mr. Bricusse’s melodies and dialogue until I feel that they have finally jelled.  I have never before been only a few hours away from a public performance and felt so unsteady in my performance.

TOD

DVD Player:  THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW

CD Player:     SHERRY (WPC)  

VCR Player:  THE ADVENTURES OF ROCKY AND BULLWINKLE
                       (Collector’s Series)
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2004, 09:34:04 AM »

Dan-in-Toronto - yes, I would contact the Canadian Postal Authorities, who have no right to remove an item that's inside a package clearly marked "gift" and with its contents stated on the customs slip.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2004, 09:34:11 AM »

I would be curious to know how many green bean casseroles might have been served yesterday?  I would wager that more people ate some of that casserole yesterday, than any other dish. Campbell's may very well have achieved world domination!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up