Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE POST-GOBBLE GOBBLE  (Read 18936 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:THE POST-GOBBLE GOBBLE
« Reply #90 on: November 26, 2004, 06:55:38 PM »

Your first stop is the 86th floor observatory.
The enclosed area contains the gift shop but the real fun comes when you step outside onto the city’s best wrap-around terrace.

Friday, November 26, 2004

NEW YORK — An unidentified man jumped to his death on Friday from the 86th-floor observation deck at the Empire State Building, police said.

der Brucer (sticker shock from the gift shop?)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2004, 07:31:31 PM »

The city's best wrap-around terrace would have to be the one on the top of Rockefeller Center, which is more centrally located than the Empire State and takes in all of Central Park.  Plus, looking down at that skating rink is pretty fantastic, and I'm sure the tree is in place, already, awaiting trimming.  I suppose if you want to look south, out to the bay, Empire State gets you about fifteen blocks closer, but that's not a huge difference
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2004, 07:40:37 PM »

Michael Shayne: I wrote the liner notes for Irma and After the Fox for Ryko.

I'm afraid this number of posts for a Friday following Thanksgiving is unacceptable in extremis.  

MBarnum

« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2004, 07:40:43 PM »

Media check:

DVD: Episodes of vintage TV shows JIM BOWIE and  HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE. And the 1955 TV special of MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET...which seems very much like the 1947 movie, but on speed...this special moves at the speed of lightning in order to cram everything into 45 minutes or so.

VHS: THE RIGHT APPROACH (1961) taped off of TCM, and this weeks SURVIVOR and AMAZING RACE...both were excellent this week!

CD: Was going to try out some new Christmas CDs but just couldn't get into it yet...soon though!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2004, 07:43:35 PM »

Here is a fact for you to put in your hat: Last year, November was our biggest month - and at this time we had nearly two thousand more posts than we have right now.  What on earth has happened?

Tomovoz

« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2004, 07:49:35 PM »

I'm afraid this number of posts for a Friday following Thanksgiving is unacceptable in extremis.  
Of course that is because some of know it is Saturday and has been for nearly 15 hours. Make that one of us!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2004, 07:50:22 PM »

My Bollywood movie of the week (which I am now 1/2 hour into) is CHITRALEKHA. It stars the ever lovely Meena Kumari and has some of THE most beautiful costumes I have ever seen in a film. Thus far into the story it seems that a prince has fallen for a court dancer/prostitute.

JRand54, I highly recommend this one...although I must say that Meena Kumari is beginning to show signs of the ravages of alcoholism on her face.

Tomovoz

« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2004, 07:51:34 PM »

"Irma" I should have listed "Our Language Of Love" yesterday. No-one seems to sing it these days and it is not played on the radio either.  It was a hit recording for Miss Diana Trask back in 1960/1 (in Oz)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2004, 08:03:38 PM »

I tried to post a page four dance, but it threw us into widescreen so I deleted it.
Now, should I continue here on the computer, or go back to this book I'm reading about a new musical with second act trouble?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2004, 08:14:49 PM »

Great - no more KP ;D
Well........Promise to do the dishes?   :-[
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2004, 08:24:25 PM »

I just roasted some chestnuts. One of my two ovens won't light. I assume the pilot is out. But I have no idea how to light it. I did, however, rewire my speakers and set up a new DVD player tonight.

Michael

« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2004, 08:25:03 PM »

Was the music on the Irma La Douce the instrumental score to the show or new music by Andre Previn
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2004, 08:25:58 PM »

is Ryko still a label that is in existence>
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2004, 08:27:23 PM »

Der Brucer and I watched 20/20 tonight, with the report that Matthew Shepard's death was not at hate crime.  

Or so claim the guys who killed him.  Now, several years later, they are claiming they murdered Shepard because of drug rage.

I'm not going to deny that drugs could have played a part in the murder, but this new story doesn't hold up too well.  If there was a drug scene and the drugs connected with the thuggery, why oh why wasn't this big news when the press was in town covering the sotry?  And there was a LOT of press in town at the time, all vying for an angle on the story.

This whole report smacks of opportunism on the part of the reporter interviewing the murderers.  Bleh.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2004, 08:29:11 PM »

One of my two ovens won't light. I assume the pilot is out. But I have no idea how to light it.
Call a pro, if you're not really sure of what to do.  We do not need a flash-fried Panni, under any circumstances.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2004, 08:32:06 PM »

The Manhattan Transfer are guests on Emeril's Christmas Holiday Party show right now!  Fortunately, I set my VCR to tape it. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2004, 08:32:08 PM »

As lovely as yesterday was, today has been the esact opposite - a horrific day. Started off fine, and the dinner with friends was wonderful, but at 11:30 this morning, my power went off (for no reason that I could ascertain; so did the rest of the street's service). Didn't get it back until 5:15 this afternoon. My house temp fell to 56, and I was just cold, miserable, and uncomfortable all afternoon.

PLUS, with the power off, NO DVDs!!!! Here I had planned to finish up WALK ON THE WILD SIDE, watch GHOST, and maybe HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN, and couldn't watch anything.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2004, 08:32:40 PM »

Also, right now, I'm watching "Star Trek:  Enterprise."  Very exciting!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2004, 08:35:24 PM »

Dinner, however, was fine, and I was fine once I could take a hot shower, shave, and feel clean clothes on me. It was just four of us at dinner, and amid the turkey, wine, and cheesecake, I felt very satisfied.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2004, 08:36:35 PM »

Ryko bit the dust.  Many of their soundtracks have already been reissued by Varese even though they're only a few years old.  The Irma album was the soundtrack to the film, which had no songs, but which Mr. Previn, in addition to writing some original themes, basically used the music from the stage show.  It's a marvelous score, one of my favorites by Mr. Previn.

I am trying to slog my way through a motion picture entitled De-Lovely, which I managed to get a very early copy of on DVD.  In honor of Thanksgiving, I must say I find it a large moist turkey.  I'll have more to say in the notes.

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2004, 08:36:57 PM »

I recorded ENTERPRISE while I was dinner. I will watch it when I got home from rehearsal tomorrow afternoon.

I'm not overly fond of these story arcs ENTERPRISE is using now. I really liked the self-contained episodes of the early seasons.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 08:38:00 PM by Matt H. »

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2004, 08:39:41 PM »

Here is my feeble attempt to post.  It's been quite a lazy day, after getting up early to go to the mall, which was against my wishes.  Anyhow, we just finished watching "Super Size Me", I thought it was ok, but didn't think it was very realistic.  Who in their right mind would eat McDonalds 3 times a day for a month, and not excercise a bit.  I guess it made a point, a feeble one at that.  

Michael

« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2004, 08:45:06 PM »

I am talk with DR Mat H right now. We are talking about online dating and how rude people are not to even respond to emails that you at least found them attractive.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2004, 08:48:34 PM »

Did I mention I saw Polar Express in 3D/Imax last week? It was okay and the animation was interesting. I have seen better stories.
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2004, 08:56:00 PM »

I also watched the 20/20 story tonight...  I got sick to my stomach last week when they ran the preview... And there were a few times tonight when I just wanted to throw something at the TV.

All the "theories" and "speculation" were actually presented during the original trial.  And I guess the only reason they brought it up again at this time was due to the fact that they killers were speaking for the first time.  Ugh...

My "favorite" part of the program was the sign off... "Have a good holiday weekend..."  Well, I WAS having a good holiday weekend until I saw this story.
Make Your Own Luck.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #115 on: November 26, 2004, 08:56:15 PM »

How strange, that on the day DEVOTED to the bird, yesterday was the first day in quite a long time that "Turkey Lurkey" hadn't been stuck in my head. I took no notice until I saw the title of yesterday's notes. Thanks, BK ;).

Hope you all had way too much to eat yesterday, the diet starts tomorrow, when leftovers decline. I had some friends and family over, and since I actually wasn't feeling too well during dinner, thus not eating too much, I murdered them all in DDR (Dance Dance Revolution). It's difficult enough on an average day, but when you get people who've eaten plates and plates of Tripdophan (SP?) induced Turkey, it's torturous.

BK, if I recall correctly, there was a bit of a frenzy Thanksgivingtime last year that the site was to be shut down? I may be way behind in this recollection, but I seem to remember mass panic and some choice words.

Work in the morning. My last weekend! School is becoming too important, and my grades aren't where they should be at this point during my junior year. Damn you, Pre-Calculus!

Bisoux, Sarah
...Walk in the sunshine...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #116 on: November 26, 2004, 09:00:43 PM »

As lovely as yesterday was, today has been the esact opposite - a horrific day. Started off fine, and the dinner with friends was wonderful, but at 11:30 this morning, my power went off (for no reason that I could ascertain; so did the rest of the street's service). Didn't get it back until 5:15 this afternoon. My house temp fell to 56, and I was just cold, miserable, and uncomfortable all afternoon.

PLUS, with the power off, NO DVDs!!!! Here I had planned to finish up WALK ON THE WILD SIDE, watch GHOST, and maybe HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN, and couldn't watch anything.

Well.. at least you lost your power the day after Thanksgiving.  There were a bunch of homes all around the DC area that lost power due to downed power lines (as a result of some pretty heavy winds) Wednesday night and Thanksgiving morning.  Some of the newscasts did features on "Thanksgiving by Candlelight".  -I guess if you have a gas stove...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #117 on: November 26, 2004, 09:08:55 PM »

I'm still worn out from the Thanksgiving cookery.  Wussing.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #118 on: November 26, 2004, 09:19:59 PM »

Hello everyone!  I'm back again...I've come down with a bout of E&T-syndrome lately.  Thanksgiving was good...just me and my parents and my sister, but a pleasant gathering.  Unfortunately I only got Thursday off, so I'm now back in Tacoma.  

TCB - You must tell us how the show goes tonight!  I'm sending you strong vibes as we speak.  The show should be running along right about now, and I do hope it's going smoothly.  Jed and I will definitely be coming one of these weekends...we couldn't miss seeing our cyber-father in action.  In catching up with the posts I saw that you were rather worried about how you would fare in this show.  Well, although it's too late for opening night words of encouragement, I will say that I have total faith and confidence in your ability as an actor, and there is no doubt in my mind that you are doing a marvelous job.  I've now seen you in two productions, and each time you have blown me away with your incredible talent...so have no fear, and knock 'em dead!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: November 26, 2004, 09:27:14 PM »

We must have no more errant and truant behavior.  This is holiday time, from now until the end of the year - with many wonderful birthdays to celebrate, not to mention major holiday bashes to have.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up