Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: IT'S DE-LENGTHY NOTES  (Read 20386 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
IT'S DE-LENGTHY NOTES
« on: November 26, 2004, 11:59:04 PM »

Well, you've de-read the de-notes, you've de-ciphered the notes, and now it is time for you to de-post until the de-lovely cows come de-home.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 12:00:34 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:IT'S DE-LENGTHY NOTES
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004, 12:13:51 AM »

Can't go past Ella's Porter Songbooks. But I shall!
Cole Porter - A Musical Toast has some interesting selections, and surprisingly perhaps, Dionne Warwick Sings Cole Porter.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2004, 05:20:31 AM »

Good morning, all!

First, here's wishing some good vibes for DRs Ann and Jed on the employment search!  I've been there a couple of times and I know how horrible it can be.

So, it's a Cole Porter day?  I like that!  Since I scored Rebecca Luker's recording and I'm quite fond of it, I'll mention "Night and Day" and "Dream Dancing" as two of my favorite charts I ever did for anyone, and go on to others:
  I GET A KICK OUT OF YOU (alltime fave):  Ethel Merman, Kim Criswell, Ella Fitzgerald
  NOBODY'S CHASING ME:  Charlotte Greenwood
  IT'S ALL RIGHT WITH ME:  Frank Sinatra

With such a great catalogue, I know I'm leaving out something I'll regret later, but I couldn't live without the original cast recordings of KISS ME, KATE and OUT OF THIS WORLD.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2004, 05:57:15 AM »

Late last night DR DearReaderLaura said,  "I spent a lovely evening at a theater organ concert here in town by a well-known musician."

By any chance was that "The Puppetry of the Penis"
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2004, 06:02:51 AM »

My favorite unused verse from You're the top!

You're the top
You're Miss Pinkham's tonic
You're the top
You're a high colonic.
You're the burning heat of a bridal suite in use
You're the breasts of Venus
You're King Kong's penis,
You're self-abuse
You're an arch
In the Rome collection
You're the starch
In a groom's erection
I'm an enuch who
Has just bee through an op,
But if, Baby, I'm the bottom
You're the top
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2004, 06:05:55 AM »

Happy birthday DR Diva Robbie and here is to the release of the I Have Found cd
Never stop dreaming.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2004, 06:53:07 AM »

I agree with Dear Reader Tomovoz that Miss Ella Fitzgerald's Cole Porter Songbook is one sensational recording.  I believe it's a case of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts:  Miss Fitzgerald's voice and interpretation + Mr. Porter's music and lyrics = perfection.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2004, 08:05:42 AM »

You're the top
You're Miss Pinkham's tonic
You're the top
You're a high colonic.
You're the burning heat of a bridal suite in use
You're the breasts of Venus
You're King Kong's penis,
You're self-abuse
You're an arch
In the Rome collection
You're the starch
In a groom's erection
I'm an enuch who
Has just bee through an op,
But if, Baby, I'm the bottom
You're the top

It is almost certain that Cole Porter did not write this verse.  Who did is an interesting question that I plan to research later.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2004, 08:12:08 AM »

7 o'clock?  I didn't know the signing was at 7 o'clock.  I didn't even know the store stayed open that late.  I told a playwright I'd be at a reading of his new play at 8, which doesn't preclude me from attending the signing at 7.  I don't HAVE to go to the play reading, though.  I have a feeling he has second act trouble and somebody's going to die.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2004, 08:43:33 AM »

So, it's a Cole Porter day?  I like that!  Since I scored Rebecca Luker's recording and I'm quite fond of it, I'll mention "Night and Day" and "Dream Dancing" as two of my favorite charts I ever did for anyone...
And one of my favorite discs, period.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2004, 08:55:09 AM »

It is almost certain that Cole Porter did not write this verse.  Who did is an interesting question that I plan to research later.
Ah, yes.  It is, after all, well known that Cole Porter was the Doris Day of the songwriting set.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2004, 08:58:12 AM »

Good morning, all. Although I've certainly been doing much walking, lifting, running around, etc. in the past month, early this morning I went for my first "official" walk in over a month. I've been walking 7 days a week for years. Religiously (Jewish) - never missing a day. So to be walkless for this long was not good. In fact, let me go out on a limb and say it was BAD. I've actually been feeling rather de-pressed and the walk helped a bit. It's rather dreary out at the moment in the City of Studio. But this being California, that's bound to change.

As for Cole Porter, it's hard to pick a favorite. So I won't. Here are a few of my top ten Coles:
EVERY TIME WE SAY GOODBYE
IT'S ALL RIGHT WITH ME
ALLEZ-VOUS EN
JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS
WELL, DID YOU EVAH?
NIGHT AND DAY
And a whole LOT of others, but I need to take a shower, so these will do for now.
I'm not an expert on the subject, but I'd say Sinatra does Porter sublimely.

Ginny

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2004, 08:59:42 AM »

Cole Porter, hmm, what a coincidence!  If I'd made a DVD report yesterday, it would have been the revival of Kiss Me, Kate, starring Brett Barrett, which I found on the shelf in one of my library's branches this week.  Haven't watched it yet, but today's topic makes me want to.  Ditto to the Ella Fitzgerald Cole Porter Songbook.

Today is my mother's 86th birthday and we're off to take her to see Polar Express.  Tried to get advance tix for the 3-D version, but all shows for today were sold out, so we're just going for the regular version.

Jane - I will try to post a photo of the Thanksgiving centerpiece (I'll have to replenish the chocolate, though!)

Elmore - Hope you're feeling better today.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2004, 09:03:33 AM »

My favorite Porter, for reasons that may seem obscure, is

Everything I Love

I think I'm particularly impressed with it because it repeats a phrase that's simply the same note played twice, and tarts it up with interesting harmonies.  I don't know if it would pass the Jerome Kern test...

Kern felt he'd written a good melody if it sounded good played with one finger on a piano, sans harmonies, sans accompaniment.  I'm never sure of the spelling of that last word.

In the Still of the Night

is very dear to my heart.  That bridge is so glorious, and I love how it keeps switching between the major and minor topic.  Like so many Rodgers & Hart songs that are favorites of mine, the character fears his love is unrequited.

Which reminds me how much I've identified with

Why Shouldn't I?

Porter wrote many songs about Paris, and I much prefer the early ones that are a little more obscure.  Sara Lazarus and I have students perform their lyrics as monologues, long before they've heard the music.  It's kind of the opposite of the Kern test, but hearing one of Porter's Paris songs moved me to tears,

You Don't Know Paree

Feuding and fussing on another site led one helion who couldn't claim he kNew Porter to call me an "anti-pet wacko."  I've spent most of this weekend playing with my father's pets, as he recently lost an old white cat named Spot.  In any case, it doesn't stop me from loving the ultimate anti-animal rights comedy song,

Where Would You Get Your Coat?

Once, a Hollywood executive named Katz (no relation) was moved to tears when Porter played him

Goodbye, Little Dream, Goodbye

but did the song end up in the film?  Of course not.  Too good for the flickers, I guess.

As mentioned in a post earlier this weekend, I've already sung two of my favorite late Porters:

Cherry Pies Oughta Be You

and

No Lover

The last builds on a motif later stolen by both Blue Velvet and Where the Boys Are.  But it's a schottische (sp?), underscoring a lyric that is a paean to wifely fidelity.  The bit at the end of the bridge is intentionally forced, and that long string of "no" at the end may seem like a waste of time, but I'm still quite fond of it.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2004, 09:09:24 AM »

Ah, yes.  It is, after all, well known that Cole Porter was the Doris Day of the songwriting set.

Odd you should say this, as my internet research so far has revealed that it was that much-closer-to-Doris-Day-of-the-songwriting-set, Irving Berlin, who wrote the You're the Top parody.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2004, 09:50:55 AM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  Oh, well.  I will also say that dear reader's elmore's work is superb on the Luker/Porter album.  

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2004, 09:57:24 AM »

My grandfather never said "What is it, fish" but he had the annoying habit, common to many Jewish grandfathers, of lecturing young 'uns about how wonderful the Jews are.  He'd be likely to point out that Rodgers & Hart, Kern & Hammerstein, Harburg & Arlen and the Gershwin brothers were all Jews, even though some of them never saw the inside of a synogogue.

I know it bothered him that I never saw the inside of a synogogue, but my point was about Porter...

Someone of my grandfather's bent would point out that, although Porter was the only gentile of the great songwriters of his generation, when this was pointed out to him he answered that he sometimes imitated Jewish music while he composed.

The best example is probably My Heart Belongs To Daddy, with its cantorial ullulation (sp?) towards the end.  I Love Paris certainly sounds as if it could be heard in a temple, and I've always been fond of Were Thine That Special Face, although I'm glad it ends in major.  And that song Katz liked, Goodbye Little Dream Goodbye, may have reminded him of stuff he'd heard at his bar-mitzvah.

So, there's a culture war type reason to appreciate Porter's least Jewish compositions, the ones in which he's truest to his roots.  I'm thinking of hits like Don't Fence Me In and Friendship but also an obscure ballad called

We're Only Another Boy and Girl

which ends,

But we'll God bless our break
Take a lot more time than our elders take
And make love's young dream come true.

I hope I'm not throwing a log on the flame of an overly-religion-concious fire when I say that these are lines a Jewish lyricist would be unlikely to come up with.  Or, put another way, if you didn't know the song, and I asked you which one of the major songwriters penned it, some process of elimination would bring you to Porter, because "we'll God bless our break" could hardly be Hart, Fields or Harburg.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2004, 10:02:15 AM »

The morning is getting away from me! Somebody catch it. I've just been talking to DD on the phone and she is planning a Bat Mitzvah for herself. Cool. Probably in San Francisco. Also cool. The rabbi she has in mind is also very cool and I hope it happens.
Now I must shower. Something I planned to do two hours ago. Have I mentioned the morning is getting away from me?
And have I asked where in tarnation is everyone?

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2004, 10:05:55 AM »

It has been a De-Lovely day here in the Mateo of San in California.  My two copies, count them, TWO, copies of Writer's Block have arrived.  One for myself and one for my good pal Brad for his B-day in a few weeks.  Thanks, bk, for the signing of the books and of course, the demo!

While I like all of "Anything Goes", my favorite Cole Porter songs are all included in the Ella Fitzgerald Cole Porter series.  Good times!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2004, 10:32:15 AM »

I'll say Happy Birthday to DivaRobbie because I do recall his being here a few times!

We had a rehearsal this morning just to run numbers and some dialogue scenes. Sad to say, our Sister Mary Paul (Amnesia) chose not to attend, so I felt very frustrated. She has been spotty in her attendance from the beginning, and it has been a real sore point with me. I will NEVER understand why someone chooses to audition for a show, especially an ensemble show where the other cast members rely on your participation SO much, if he has no intention of giving 100% effort toward the finished product. Very infuriating and very frustrating.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2004, 10:34:44 AM »

Why didn't the daughter have a Bat Mitzvah when she was thirteen rather than twenty?  I am suspect, oh, yes, I am suspect.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2004, 10:35:14 AM »

I've always liked "It's De-Lovely," the song. I got to sing "Blow, Gabriel, Blow" in a revue some years ago, and that was a great challenge finding breath to belt out that number while traversing a multi-level stage.

But I think my favorite Porter song now is "Just One of Those Things." Impossible to imagine it was cut from OUT OF THIS WORLD. Was it because it didn't work in a certain scene? Couldn't have been the worthiness of the song. It's GREAT!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2004, 10:36:47 AM »

I have sent out signing invitations to all West Coast and East Coast friends.  If you haven't received one and live on either coasts, drop me a line because it probably means I don't have your e-mail address.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2004, 10:54:28 AM »

I think my favorite Porter song now is "Just One of Those Things." Impossible to imagine it was cut from OUT OF THIS WORLD. Was it because it didn't work in a certain scene? Couldn't have been the worthiness of the song. It's GREAT!

You're confusing two stories.  Just One of Those Things was written for Jubilee and it was never cut.  I believe it was the "hit" of that show, because it wasn't until some time afterwards that Begin the Beguine became very popular.

From This Moment On is a marvelous song cut from Out of This World.  I agree that it's hard to imagine why.  Out of This World has a lot of problems.  The same Greek myth (Amphytrion) was used, years later, as the basis for Olympus On My Mind

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2004, 10:57:12 AM »

The haze looks like it's starting to burn off.  What off did to deserve being burned is another story for another day.

You'd think this was a Saturday on a Thanksgiving weekend.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2004, 11:32:08 AM »

Good Morning!

Although since I got up around 1:30 with major sinus issues... ugh...  I just hope I'm not coming down with a cold since that's what it feels like since I'm a bit achy too.  I'll be having a brunch of chicken vegetable soup in a few.  Hopefully, that will help clear the morning fog in my head.

As for Cole Porter... The oft-mentioned Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Cole Porter Songbook sung by Ella Fitzgerald.  -And to think this was one of the songbook projects she was actually apprehensive about recording!  It really is a wonderful set, and Ms. Fitzgerald is complemented perfectly by Buddy Bregman's arrangements and conducting.  -And the liner notes by Don Freeman, Norman Granz and Fred Lounsberry are a good read too.
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2004, 11:32:42 AM »

Good afternoon all.

I did a lot of yard work yesterday and am very stiff and full of aches today.  I finely have the entire tree I took down in bags, ready for the trash men (AKA Sanitation Engineers) to haul away.  

I am working on my Christmas cards but fear that my hand is hurting to badly to hand write every card.  Please don’t feel bad if you get one signed by the computer.  It’s the best I can do.

Thank you DR Noel for about explaining about (C)Hanukah.  

I know it’s not ask BK day but I do have a question and I have to post these things as I think of them—have  you ever thought about writing a Sci Fi/Fantasy book?  

I have chestnuts boiling in salt water on the stove.  When they are finished, I shall bake them.  They should go well with a good holiday movie.  I just need to pick one.  Would you believe I haven’t seen a DVD yet this week end?  

It looks like rain here and has been a bit on the chilly side (for us).

I also wanted to tell DerBrucer that you are a bad influence on me.  I sent your “recipe” to several friends and they all ask where do I get that stuff.  LOL!  :)  ;)

I have to get back to my cards.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2004, 11:37:11 AM »

I don't know that I'd have the ability to write sci-fi or fantasy, although there will be a VERY slight fantasy element to what I hope will be my new novel.  Of course, never say never - I never thought I'd be able to write a mystery.

It looks like the haze isn't burning off.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2004, 11:53:51 AM »

OK, here's the lyric I've been working on.  It's the second song in the second act, and depicts the same scene that was seen in an act one flashback, but rather differently.  The heroine's choreographer has just told her he's leaving the show, moving to the south of France.  She sings

ON A NIGHT WHEN THE STARS WERE DANCING
YOU AND I
GAVE IT A TRY
WHILE I GALUMPHED
YOU SEEMED TO BE LIGHTER THAN AIR
YOU WERE MY FRED ASTAIRE

THAT WAS THE NIGHT YOU INTRODUCED ME
TO THE MAN I WAS DESTINED TO MARRY
BUT HIM, I HARDLY NOTICED
YOU WERE SMOOTHER
CAREFREE AND BLITHELY UNAWARE
YOU WERE MY FRED ASTAIRE

IN YOUR ARMS NO GIRL COULD LOOK BAD
I'M NO GINGER
BUT SUFFERED NO INJURY
THANKS TO YOU
ALL DUE TO YOU.

(They dance.)

NOW, YOU BREAK MY HEART
SAYING GOODBYE
AND WHAT HAVE I BUT THE MEMORY
OF THAT ONE NIGHT WE TWO WALTZED ON AIR?

NO, THEY CAN'T TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2004, 11:55:39 AM »

Less than thirty postings and it's noon.  It's times like this a girl could use a dog.  Skammen-and-a-half.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up