Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: IT'S DE-LENGTHY NOTES  (Read 20423 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:IT'S DE-LENGTHY NOTES
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2004, 11:55:56 AM »

Well, let's at least get to page two.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2004, 12:06:32 PM »

This morning I went on a guided bird walk at the arboretum 60 miles away, and we saw 23 species of bird and some squirrels and chipmunks. Isn't that exciting?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2004, 12:08:57 PM »

Hi - in the studio working on Christmas gifts.  Everyone wants a recording of me playing piano.  I remember about a month ago when bk mentioned about playing for a recorder how difficult it is, and yes, it is VERY difficult.  I'm finding that doing piano "stylings" as opposed to playing something off sheet music is much easier.  So far, one track down....

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2004, 12:11:51 PM »

Matthew, were you the one who might have information about Zombie Prom?  There's a lot of stuff my father needs to know about it.

What's the cast size?  Does it utilize a chorus?  Can the chorus be of unlimited size?  How many different females get to do some solo singing?  What are the set requirements.

Stuff like that.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2004, 12:14:14 PM »

I think I saw Zombie Prom off-B'way - I think it was not so hot.  I know they asked me to do the album repeatedly, but I didn't think it was such a good idea.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2004, 12:14:32 PM »

But I think my favorite Porter song now is "Just One of Those Things." Impossible to imagine it was cut from OUT OF THIS WORLD. Was it because it didn't work in a certain scene? Couldn't have been the worthiness of the song. It's GREAT!

DRMattH, "Just One of Those Things" is from JUBILEE.  The cut song from OUT OF THIS WORLD is "From This Moment On."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2004, 12:15:35 PM »

Less than thirty postings and it's noon.  It's times like this a girl could use a dog.  Skammen-and-a-half.

I'm here, but I'm writing a novel.  Hope you like it! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2004, 12:16:38 PM »

And Happy birthday DR DivaRobbie!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2004, 12:18:06 PM »

DR Noel, as soon as I see a script and a score, I'll let you know about the production information.  I don't think it utilizes a chorus, as the CD just seems to have leads that may form an ensemble or sorts.  I like the CD, I think the subject matter is very "Little Shop-esque" and almost horror movie-esque also.  Would be great alternative to "Grease".  Another good show for high school would be "Footloose", when I saw it on Bway, I imediately thought it's a new alternative to "Grease" which I can't stand being performed by teenagers!!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2004, 12:19:00 PM »

From This Moment On is a marvelous song cut from Out of This World.  I agree that it's hard to imagine why.  Out of This World has a lot of problems.  The same Greek myth (Amphytrion) was used, years later, as the basis for Olympus On My Mind

Spoo!  I see DRNoel beat me to it!   The late Robert Montgomery, who was the Trustee of the Cole Porter Trust, told me that OUT OF THIS WORLD was supposed to be based on Giraudoux' AMPHITRYON 38, adapted by S. N. Berhman, but the authors wanted too much money.  Porter always regretted that.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2004, 12:23:56 PM »

Jennifer I’m glad you asked about the singers on the CD.  I had guessed Alet and Guy but that was it.

Panni, I am going to see if they sell the vanilla in town.
Will you post a photo of the rug?  Not settling is usually a good idea.

Last night we went into town for the Santa Parade and the lighting ceremony.  All the lights in the downtown Plaza are turned on at once.  It is beautiful.  Afterwards we went out to dinner with friends.

A visit from Swishy Sara and Ann, how nice.  I’m sorry I wasn’t here.

GOOD, GOOD JOB VIBES TO ANN AND JED!
JRand-cute dancing cat.

DRLaura we will be updating our kitchen when the bathroom is done.  I look forward to reading your posts regarding your work.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2004, 12:25:09 PM »

DRNoel, I don't know if JUBILEE lasted long enough to establish any hits.  "Why Shouldn't I?" got some airplay, as did "Just One of Those Things," but "Begin the Beguine" hardly got noticed in the reviews.  Brooks Atkinson did say of the Beguine that it was "Just another rhumba," and I've always wondered if Ira Gershwin got his lyric from hearing Cole Porter bitch to everyone about the slight dismissal to what turned out to be one of his best songs.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2004, 12:30:30 PM »

Denizens.  Excellent.  Excellent.  Denizens.  

I love Don't Fence Me In (especially as done by our very own Rebecca Luker), I love True Love (can't help it), but my favorite Porter is Anything Goes - a brilliant piece of music and lyric-making.  

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2004, 12:30:41 PM »

A six month run should have been enough time to establish hits, but I'm agreeing with you, DR Elmore, during its run, "Just One of Those Things" and "Why Shouldn't I" were Jubilee's hits.  Posterity has elevated Begin the Beguine.

Did you see Mel Miller's recent production, with Ric (Hip) Flores at the piano?

George

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2004, 12:31:07 PM »

I'm here.  I did a little impulse shopping.  I actually went out only to look for some bows for the American Cancer Society Relay For Life gift wrapping fund raiser that I'll be participating in next weekend, but I just had to look around.  I went to a local dollar store (yes, everything's a dollar) and they had bags of 25 bows that were actually two bags for a dollar.  Not a bad price, though I, so I bought eight bags (200 bows) for four dollars.

After I put the bows in my basket, I went over to the CD section (it's just a little rotating stand).  They had (and I bought) Cybill Shepherd's "Talk Memphis To Me" (I like her and for a buck, why not?) and Paige O'Hara's "Dream With Me," which is a collection of lullabies and lullaby-like songs.  But the absolute find (I think) was the World Premiere London Cast Recording of Doctor Dolittle with Phillip Schofield and Julie Andrews as the voice of Polynesia!  It's the actual First Night release!  For only a dollar!  The CD is not even on Amazon.com and the only copy on Amazon.co.uk is in the Z-shops.  The dollar store had three copies and I bought all three!  I've decided to try and sell it on eBay (I've never sold anything before).  There's only one copy on eBay right now and there are no bids.  But you never know. ::) Even if I only sell one copy, I'm sure that it'll be for more than the $3 I paid for the three copies (he said hopefully). :-\  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2004, 12:31:35 PM »

elmore, are you handling our get-together?  If not, we need a NY volunteer.  I think some people have said they'd like to do it Monday after the signing, so that's fine with me, but someone should book Joe Allen for nine-thirty-ish.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2004, 12:34:58 PM »

Happy birthday DR Diva Robbie

Ginny replenishing the chocolate must be a difficult task, especially eating it after it is replenished.  I hope I’m not putting you out too much just for a photo. ;D

Noel-LOL My father was always telling me who was Jewish.

This morning I was surprised by a light dusting of snow everywhere.  Most of it has melted now.  My good news is Echo is beginning to walk again and her beautiful smile has returned.  Yes, Echo really does smile.  She has one of those happy faces.  The last two days we thought we were loosing her so when she walked today I cried tears of joy.

Elmore you didn’t answer Ginny’s question-are you feeling better today?

I need to walk Echo around the yard again which means I don’t have time to answer today’s question-sorry.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2004, 12:35:13 PM »

Matthew, were you the one who might have information about Zombie Prom?  There's a lot of stuff my father needs to know about it.

What's the cast size?  Does it utilize a chorus?  Can the chorus be of unlimited size?  How many different females get to do some solo singing?  What are the set requirements.

Stuff like that.

DR Noel - This is from the Zombie Prom website

http://www.geocities.com/zombieprombie/audition.html

Casting Notes
[/color]
The ranges, doublings and character descriptions in the chart below are only suggestions based on the talent in the New York cast.  ZOMBIE PROM has been performed successfully with many different sized casts and vocal types but was originally written for a cast of ten, in which case doubling is needed for the Prologue, I-2 and II-2.

There is a cast breakdown which includes "vocal responsibilities" as well.

Personally, I've seen the show done with just the basic ensemble, but I've also seen it done with a virtual high school of chorus members.  Just a matter of your costume budget. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2004, 12:35:17 PM »

Welcome six GUESTS.  We're talkin' about Porter as in Cole.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2004, 12:36:33 PM »

It's very gray out.  Went to my mail place only to find no mail.  Thinking about food but not sure what I wish to have.  I might make some pasta as my meal o' the day.  I am, of course, on a crash diet at the moment and trying to be a good Jew.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2004, 12:39:15 PM »

Did you see Mel Miller's recent production, with Ric (Hip) Flores at the piano?

No, I didn't get a chance to go, but I heard from several people that it was well done.   I'm assuming that Mr Flores played from the vocal score I created and that all the vocal and dance arrangements were mine.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2004, 12:41:39 PM »

I'm thinking about food.  What are you dear readers eating today?  Maybe I'll get some food inspiration.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2004, 12:41:44 PM »

elmore, are you handling our get-together?  If not, we need a NY volunteer.  I think some people have said they'd like to do it Monday after the signing, so that's fine with me, but someone should book Joe Allen for nine-thirty-ish.

Dear Friend BK, I was hoping not to be in charge, but since I'm meeting DRtd at Joe Allen's tonight at 5:00, I'll be happy to book Dec. 6 at 9:30, and I'll tell them it will be for 5-15 people!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2004, 12:44:29 PM »

Well, the can of Progresso Chicken Vegetable soup I just had - heated up, of course - seems to have worked it's magic.  I'm feeling much better.  -And I also think the exercise I got from walking back and forth from the living to the kitchen also helped to get my blood a-circulatin'.  And even though it is a very gray/grey day/dey here too, I think I will be venturing out for a walk myself.

I just got a revised rehearsal schedule for Hallelujah, Baby!, and we're now called at Noon on Tuesday, December 7.  I'll just have to check train schedules, and/ or drive back late Monday night after the book-signing and get-together.  I think there is still and Amtrak at 2:30am from Penn Station back down to Union Station - which I've taken a few times before.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2004, 12:44:29 PM »

Noel-LOL My father was always telling me who was Jewish.

Elmore you didn’t answer Ginny’s question-are you feeling better today?

Nurse Jane, Jane, Jane, I'm moving rather cautiously, but everything seems to be fine today.  Now, you know that Porter wasn't Jewish?  He just believed that writing music with a "jewish sound" was a sure-fire guaranteed hit.  

George

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2004, 12:47:35 PM »

I'm thinking about food.  What are you dear readers eating today?  Maybe I'll get some food inspiration.

Blimpie Subs!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2004, 12:56:26 PM »

We don't have Blimpie here in LA.  

elmore, thanks.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2004, 12:58:14 PM »

Come see a Girl Scout selling cookies to arctic fishermen, a woman who puts on clown regalia to entertain her first date, a father-daughter team of assassins, romance with a tea kettle repairman, and other such lunacy.  Scenes and songs developed through improvisation at Second City/ny, then written, then rehearsed

Generation F'd
December 5 & 13
7pm & 9pm
Barrow Group Studio
312 West 36th Street - 3rd Floor Theatre
Admission: $10
Reservations - 212 691 0011 or KNSecondCity@aol.com

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2004, 01:01:05 PM »

Well...  I just had some soup, but I've been craving cookies the past couple of days - Pecan Sandies in particular.  And I've also been wanting a good Italian Sub - Oh!  When I go out for my walk in a bit, maybe I'll stop at Mary Angela's and get one!  And I think I even have a coupon!  Oh, and Mary Angela's has some very good pasta too!  Hmm...  Then there's ice cream - Bev's has been featuring some seasonal flavors lately.  I may then get a cup with 1/2 CinnaBean (cinnamon ice cream with chocolate covered espresso beans) and 1/2 eggnog ice cream.  I think that would work well together.

So much food... Too many calories.

-Did that help? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2004, 01:03:53 PM »

...Or you could go to The Original Tommy's and get a burger this time.

...Or back to Genghis Cohen - which, as I learned this past Thanksgiving night - was where Larry David got the idea for the Chinese restaurant episode of "Seinfeld".

...And there's always Schwab's!  ;)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 01:05:05 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up