Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: A DECEMBER TO REMEMBER  (Read 21124 times)

MBarnum

Re:A DECEMBER TO REMEMBER
« Reply #150 on: December 01, 2004, 08:21:29 PM »

JRand54, you are getting all sorts of new fave shows now! LOL!

...and be sure to let me know how Holly's vet visit goes! OK!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #151 on: December 01, 2004, 08:38:19 PM »

:o
-And is the Bing Crosby estate in trouble?  Why did they let them "sing along with Bing"?!?!?!

So that's what that loud "WRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!" noise was that I heard earlier this evening.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Michael

« Reply #152 on: December 01, 2004, 08:42:36 PM »

I just want to say I watch the film HERO. The Chinese one with Jet Li. A highly entertaining film. Beautifully designed and photographed. With a top notch music score and a sound design in dts that is wonderful for a surround sound system. If you ever needed a reason to buy a wide screen with hi def capabilities this is one damn good reason to.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #153 on: December 01, 2004, 08:43:08 PM »

Speaking of trains wrecks, that very accurately describes our final dress tonight. Just one mishap, catastrophe, slip-up, and mistake after another. I wasn't blameless myself, but my 2 were less obtrusive than those of the others. In my case, getting a lot of costume and prop stuff foisted on me at the last minute put me in rather a funk. I've been off book for well over a month. Then, to be so prepared only to have this new stuff added so late just makes it less enjoyable and will make tomorrow's opening a "skating on thin ice" experience. I HATE feeling that way on the opening of a show.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #154 on: December 01, 2004, 08:44:29 PM »

Break a leg on the opening of the show you choreographed, DR JRand.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Michael

« Reply #155 on: December 01, 2004, 08:51:19 PM »

I just went over to a certain website where all they talked about was the picture quality and how bad Miramax transfered the film. They said there import copes were far better. Well I think they were all full of the old crapola. It was a feast to for the eyes.

And I watched it in the original Mandarin with subtitles.
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #156 on: December 01, 2004, 09:01:20 PM »

I just went over to a certain website where all they talked about was the picture quality and how bad Miramax transfered the film. They said there import copes were far better. Well I think they were all full of the old crapola. It was a feast to for the eyes.

And I watched it in the original Mandarin with subtitles.

Well... This may be one of the times where the "crapola" may not all that "crapola" - even though the persons posting may still be full of "crapola"... ;)

My brother was able to get a hold of one of the original Chinese DVDs when they came out last year - or the year before - overseas.  He did a side by side comparison, and even he noticed a difference.  It's very subtle for the most part, but some of the fight sequences look sharper and sound sharper too.  In any case, it is, as you said, the perfect film for a wind screen tv and high definition sound.

-And I'm assuming that it can't qualify for any of the Academy's technical awards this year since it was originally presented in the foreign film category two years ago. -I think...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #157 on: December 01, 2004, 09:02:24 PM »

Same back at ya MATTH.  Very unthoughtful of the director to do such things.  I would guess that he/she doesn't do much acting.  

I think every director should appear onstage at least once a year so he realizes what he is asking his performers to do.

Of course I have been in productions where I didn't have my light until the night before....and in one particular production, it was opening night when I got the underscoring to a monolog I had....it was lovely and made me cry, but it would have been nice to hear it at least once without an audience!  LOL
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #158 on: December 01, 2004, 09:03:29 PM »

HERO is this the Quentin Tarentino DVD they are advertising now on TV?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: December 01, 2004, 09:08:41 PM »

I am trying, dear readers, oh, yes, I am trying - trying to watch something called Van Helsing.  Oh, I know you all love Hugh Jackman, and I enjoy him, too, but this thing is just hopeless - made for the ADD generation who can't go two minutes without some noisy action sequence.  It opens with one (de rigeur) and then two minutes later (one year later, according to the title card) we get another with "Dr. Jekyll" who looks like he escaped from an amateur version of Shreck.  Blechhh.  The question is, dare I watch the rest?  It's two hours and seventeen minutes long!  Oh, and what about the scene where Van Helsing gets all the latest weaponry - complete with a "Q" type showing him and making with the pithy comments.  Do they think no one has seen a James Bond film, or is this supposed to be an homage or some kind of parodic sequence.  Parasite would be more like it.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #160 on: December 01, 2004, 09:12:49 PM »

DR Jane, Sandra and I have gone to Pasadena to see the Christmas version of Forever Plaid for the past three years. Last year we went up to Las Vegas to see a friend in "A Christmas Carol."  I don't know about this year -- she hasn't found out when her last final exam is, so I don't want to buy tickets.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #161 on: December 01, 2004, 09:12:53 PM »

Oh....well....another DVD I don't have to buy.  Santy Claws will probably bring it to me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #162 on: December 01, 2004, 09:13:50 PM »

Jose have  sweet goodbye with Edwina.  

I already started getting choked up earlier this evening when I started thinking about what my final brunch order would be... -Should I get the Eggs Edwina? ;)  -Which is English Muffin halves topped with sauteed spinach, crab meat, poached eggs and fontina cheese - and the whole thing is put under the broiler to melt the cheese right before it's brough to the table.  Dee-Lish!

I know I'll be emotional when I see her on Sunday.  She is a big part of what has made Richmond so special to me.  She was a big part of helping me to start liking Richmond after it's initial "bad impression" on me when I started going to school here in 1986.

Again, I'm so glad I'll be able to say Goodbye in person and to find out exactly what's going on with her, and what will be going on with her.  When she mentioned her surgery to me the first time, she mentioned that she would have to be off her feet for at least six months.  No waitressing and no cleaning houses.  Thankfully, she works for a great family of restauranteurs who have helped her out over the past years when she's needed something else to live on besides her tips, and I know I won't be the only one saying Goodbye to her on Sunday.

-Oh, and I think I'm going to buy her some lottery tickets to go along with her chocolate!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #163 on: December 01, 2004, 09:21:05 PM »

bark-bark-bark, bark, bark-bark, ruff! bark, bark-bark-bark, ruff, ruff! bark!

Translation:

Good boy, Echo!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #164 on: December 01, 2004, 09:26:42 PM »

HERO is this the Quentin Tarentino DVD they are advertising now on TV?

Yes.

-But he just produced it, or rather helped bring it stateside.  Or something like that.

The American marketers have to put a recognizable name on the box.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #165 on: December 01, 2004, 09:37:08 PM »

BK, instead of Van Hesling you ought to be watching something really creepy...like BEES SAAL BAAD, for instance.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #166 on: December 01, 2004, 09:38:28 PM »

Ah okay...thanks DRJOSE....couldn't figure it out from the commercials.

Lottery tickets what a great idea....and if you have a foreign coin to leave as part of your tip and let her know it's for good wishes.....

When I am leaving or someone is going away, I always give an English coin or other foreign money....it's fun and always unexpected!  LOL

MBarnum

« Reply #167 on: December 01, 2004, 09:42:43 PM »

DR Jane, here is the picture that I tried to link to yesterday, but which evidently came up as a big old X.

David Bailey drowned on Thanksgiving day. He was a regular on many soaps including WHERE THE HEART IS, ANOTHER WORLD, RYANS HOPE, and most recently PASSIONS. He also guest starred on episodes of HAZEL, DENNIS THE MENACE, BURKES LAW, and CIMARRON STRIP back in the 60s.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #168 on: December 01, 2004, 09:48:15 PM »

Excellent news about Echo.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: December 01, 2004, 09:54:04 PM »

MBarnum, I have started to watch the Bollywood and am enjoying it - I just have to do it in sections because of its length.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: December 01, 2004, 10:51:08 PM »

What happened to the frenzy of yesteryear?  No posts, once again, for an hour.  I tell you, it is unseemly after last night's amazing volley.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #171 on: December 01, 2004, 11:07:08 PM »

...No one else in here but us chickens, BK.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #172 on: December 01, 2004, 11:19:54 PM »

I think it would be a swell idea if everyone posts photos of their holiday decorations this month.

Here's mine:
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: December 01, 2004, 11:20:28 PM »

Has anyone noticed we're a mere 1800 posts from our new landmark?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #174 on: December 01, 2004, 11:23:05 PM »

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #175 on: December 01, 2004, 11:29:55 PM »

OK...  I need to get up sort of early-ish tomorrow so that I can head up to DC for the first orchestra read of HALLELUJAH, BABY!

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #176 on: December 01, 2004, 11:30:01 PM »

-And I'm assuming that it can't qualify for any of the Academy's technical awards this year since it was originally presented in the foreign film category two years ago. -I think...

House of Flying Daggers will be the martial arts cum ballet entry in this year's Oscar race.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #177 on: December 01, 2004, 11:55:49 PM »

I'd like to thank everyone for the input regarding my rent/gift-from-sister issue.  I have decided to share a small portion the rent discount that my sister gave me.  I will, of course, benefit proportionately more...it was MY sister's gift to ME, after all, and my housemate and I are NOT in a "relationship," but I won't hog it all...most, but not all. ;)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 11:56:26 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up