Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A DECEMBER TO REMEMBER  (Read 21125 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:A DECEMBER TO REMEMBER
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2004, 10:13:21 AM »

And one for Mahler!

Any more thoughts?  I've already paid my sister, so there's no deadline on when I ask my housemate for his check.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 10:14:23 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2004, 10:17:28 AM »

DR JMK - I can't find my program, but I remember there was one song in the long medley with all the 3/4 songs.

However, I did find the rather "groovy" publicity still from that production.  I'll have to scan it sometime...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2004, 10:20:06 AM »

OK... It's turned into a another beautiful day outside here in Richmond.  There was a pretty strong line of storms that came through earlier - lots of rain and wind.  It woke me up a few times.  But now, the sky is blue and clear.  Alas, the wind is still gusting every now and then, but at least it's not gray and drizzly.

...And there better be a flurry and/or frenzy of posts by the time I get back!

;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2004, 10:25:41 AM »

Hi JMK!!!  Is this one of the Seven Christmasses of Frances Farmer?

Hmmmmmmmm DRGEORGE -  This is just my opinion.  Your room mate is obligated to pay 40% of the rent, whatever it is.  If your rent for some reason went up one month, would you pass the increase along to him, or would your own share increase?  Then again, he has budgeted a certain amount for December.....  Then again - if he pays a lesser amount, your gift from your sister is negated.  It is a dilemma.

I think, the difference in the rent he pays and what he owes this month, is actually part of your sister's gift to you.  I could see how it would make you uncomfortable, but if you think it would bother you, you could always donate the difference to one of the great seasonal charities - unless you are Ebenezer Scrooge.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2004, 10:26:00 AM »

As DRJOSE has subtly reminded us - today is World Aids Day.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2004, 10:50:43 AM »

DR George:  You are not obligated to "share" the rent decrease with your roommate.

However, if you are planning on being generous during the holidays. you "could" share your sister's gift, or you "might" give him a break on utilities, or keep it all for yourself and give him a card.

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2004, 11:11:12 AM »

I don't know if any DRs read Peter Filichia's column on TheaterMania.com, but two weeks ago he did an article, BABES IN NEVERLAND, on the musical theatre project I've been working on.  It's an interesting article.

Well, I'll tell if'in you won't!

The "dirt" from TheaterMania:

"Wasn't Larry Moore one of the orchestrators?" asked another. I called Moore, who was home and who said, "I absolutely cannot comment on this situation."

der "I-love-a-mystery" Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2004, 11:11:19 AM »

DR George:  You are not obligated to "share" the rent decrease with your roommate.

However, if you are planning on being generous during the holidays. you "could" share your sister's gift, or you "might" give him a break on utilities, or keep it all for yourself and give him a card.

:D

I had already gotten my housemate a pun-a-day desk calendar before this came up (he loves puns).  Shouldn't that be enough?  (Just kidding!  No really, I am kidding!)  I'm not a Scrooge...as much as I'd like to be. ::) Actually, I have decided to give him a discount on the rent/utilities.  I just need to decide how much.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2004, 11:16:34 AM »

Notes from Yesterday #!

Emily:
Oh and Elmore never make the mistake of pronouncing "toque" as "tock"... it really should be "t-ew-k"

Actually, according to Merriam-Webster toque rhymes with "joke".

der Brucer

Hmm...if Emily's "toque" rhymes with "joke", shouldn't BK's "brusque" rhyme with "broke"?

(Will we now have a "ghoti=fish" day?)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2004, 11:29:46 AM »

Notes from Yesterday #2

Jennifer:
As for Desperate Housewives, I don't find it trashy at all.  And I actually don't find it that similar to most of the night-time soaps of the past.  It's very funny, witty and charming.

DR Jane, I don't really know your taste in tv shows, so I cannot say for sure if you would like DH.  All I can say is that EVERY single person I know who watches it raves about it.

As others have said it's really part comedy and part mystery.  There truly is nothing like it on television.

It is definitely my favorite show of the new season.

You realize, DH is a gay Republican plot to subvert the unsuspecting audience ;)

This fact was very distressful for Jerry Falwell who was reported in the   New York Times :

In the midst of the values talk, Tim Russert, the moderator of "Meet the Press," quoted from a recent Newsweek article that states that Marc Cherry, the creator of the hit television series "Desperate Housewives," is "a somewhat conservative, gay Republican."

Dr. Falwell said, "Well the fact that he's a gay Republican means he should join the Democratic party."

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2004, 11:32:49 AM »

Thoughts from Yesterday #3:

Panni, commenting on Joan of Arcadia:

It's a good show. Witty, well-written, often quite touching.

And, surprising, best of all - not preachy!

der Brucer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2004, 11:32:52 AM »

LOL DRGEORGE - a happy solution!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2004, 11:33:13 AM »

Very interesting article about BIT....hmmmmmmmmmm.....where ARE those recordings?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2004, 11:43:54 AM »

Good Afternoon!

OK... I'm back from my walk. Whoa!  Is it windy out there right now!!  But a good walk, nonetheless.  And I even got some banking done.

Now to see if I'm going to be productive this afternoon.. Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2004, 11:45:29 AM »

Posts!  We need Posts!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2004, 11:46:16 AM »

Questions!

We Need Questions!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2004, 11:48:14 AM »

For Ask BK Day:

Is there any particular "thing" missing from your new abode that would help it feel more like a "home"?  Or does it already feel very homey?

Will you be having a Holiday Hot Tub Party in your new abode - and hot tub - this year?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 11:49:17 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2004, 12:07:20 PM »

Posts!  We need Posts!

Emily
Wilbur
Lamp
Mortem
It Notes

der ever-helpful Brucer

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2004, 12:11:35 PM »

Yes, as DR Emily said it snowed here today.  Although that turned to rain, and now it's been raining for hours.  But still.  It's the first snow I've seen this season.

DR Sandra, that is such a good idea (putting the dog in a baby carriage).  

DR Jane, the dog is a poodle.  I'm not sure of the exact weight but I guess between 20-30 lbs.  I'm not sure if they can take her out as long as they are holding her.  I know the vet told them exactly what to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2004, 12:12:17 PM »

Emily
Wilbur
Lamp
Mortem
It Notes

der ever-helpful Brucer

I love it! (a Montevecchi ref) ;D ;D ;D
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2004, 12:12:47 PM »

DR George - I meant to comment earlier... It's good to know that you were having "issues" with the gift/rent/housemate situation.  There could have been no gray area, but it's nice to know that you took your housemate's "feelings" into consideration.

Not the most eloquent way to say that, but I think you get the point.

Group Hug!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2004, 12:13:13 PM »

DR Jose, re: TAR, have you ever heard of a VCR of Tivo? :)

Funny, I prefer taping shows.  Then I don't have to watch commercials.

And DR Dan is correct.  They do replay the show every Saturday.

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2004, 12:18:04 PM »

THE AMAZING RACE SPOILER ALERT, in case DR MBARNUM HAS NOT WATCHED YET.

DR Dan-the-Man, I was also disappointed in the result.  There are a couple of teams I hate (the wrestlers being one of them).  And I just wanted to see them gone.

Frankly, watching them count 68. 69 ... 80 made me laugh.  I was surprised the grandparents couldn't count. To me that was the easiest thing ever.

My favs are the 2 leading teams.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2004, 12:18:09 PM »

A solution to overcrowded libraries from Dixie-Pixie Land:

(Extract from Birmingham News):

Gay book ban goal of state lawmaker
Wednesday, December 01, 2004
KIM CHANDLER
News staff writer

MONTGOMERY - An Alabama lawmaker who sought to ban gay marriages now wants to ban novels with gay characters from public libraries, including university libraries.

A bill by Rep. Gerald Allen, R-Cottondale, would prohibit the use of public funds for "the purchase of textbooks or library materials that recognize or promote homosexuality as an acceptable lifestyle." Allen said he filed the bill to protect children from the "homosexual agenda."

"Our culture, how we know it today, is under attack from every angle," Allen said in a press conference Tuesday.

Allen said that if his bill passes, novels with gay protagonists and college textbooks that suggest homosexuality is natural would have to be removed from library shelves and destroyed.

"I guess we dig a big hole and dump them in and bury them," he said.

Allen pre-filed his bill in advance of the 2005 legislative session, which begins Feb. 1.

If the bill became law, public school textbooks could not present homosexuality as a genetic trait and public libraries couldn't offer books with gay or bisexual characters.

When asked about Tennessee Williams' southern classic "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof," Allen said the play probably couldn't be performed by university theater groups.

Aside from the moral debates, the bill could be problematic for library collections, said Jaunita Owes, director of the Montgomery City-County Library, which is a few blocks from the Alabama Capitol.

"Half the books in the library could end up being banned. It's all based on how one interprets the material," Owes said.

Gee, all the extra shelf space for Fahrenheit 451!

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2004, 12:18:13 PM »

Well, it's quite windy in New York today, my scarf blew off and sailed down 14th Street until some kind gent grabbed it and returned it   Earlier it was quite rainy, but that seems to be over.

Right now I'm trying to locate my copy of the BABES IN TOYLAND libretto, which seems to have walked out of the office, and I can't find it here either.  I hate it when that happens.  After the bookcases got rebuilt after their late August collapse, I thought I had a handle on everything in the apartment.  Guess not (a Blitzstein THREEPENNY reference).

DRJMK, welcome back!  I wondered where you'd gone.  Best of luck with your revue!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2004, 12:19:09 PM »

JMK: Yes, that's me stroking the ivories on the Bus and Truck demo.

Jose: This house feels more homey than my previous house ever did.  I really like it here.  Re the Jacuzzi - no, I'm somewhat peculiar about sharing water, so I tend to sit alone.

I'm back for a brief mo from the morning meeting which went well (very simple little adjustments to the script), and from the dentist, which also went painlessly and quickly.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2004, 12:20:50 PM »

MBaarnum without the photo I don’t know David Baily by name-very sad.

Sandra the baby carriage story is cute.  There are people in town who sell dog and cat strollers.  They are like a big netted cat carrier on wheels.  

DRLaura thanks for the AD tip.  We had been giving her some of Bogies, which he fortunately doesn’t need anymore.  Her appetite is improving and she is eating more of her kibble, but only while we walk.  I feed it to her as treats.  Today she ate an amount equal to one meal.

Panni do you mean your mailman remembers your name or knows who you are professionally?

Dan (the Man) do you something with the Festivus Pole once it is up?
Pumpkin or cinnamon scented nail polish would be great.  That stuff smells vile as it is.

TCB I like the last photo of Scrooge better-very nice.

JRand-cute frosty.  Bring him back another day.

Tomovoz I liked the early episodes of JOSAN OF ACADIA.  Give it a try and decide for yourself.  Is anyone still watching it?

Ann that two year old is so sweet.  Are his parents insisting he be out of diapers already?  Two isn’t so old.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2004, 12:20:59 PM »

DRDerBrucer, how do people with stunted brains like Gerald Allen get elected to positions of responsibility.  Who's protecting the children from his heterosexual agenda?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2004, 12:22:34 PM »

Re the Jacuzzi - no, I'm somewhat peculiar about sharing water, so I tend to sit alone.

Doesn't that peculiarity play a part in the Kritzer books?

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2004, 12:22:52 PM »

DR George re: the rent

I would ask your sister if she meant the gift for you or for you and your roomie.

Personally the way you described it, I disagree with other DRs comments.  It sounded like she was saying she would collect half the rent.  Therefore you pay half of what you normally pay.  And roomie pays half of what he normally pays.  If your sis meant the gift for just you then that is another story.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up