Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE OOMPH FACTOR  (Read 22279 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:THE OOMPH FACTOR
« Reply #150 on: December 05, 2004, 09:25:18 PM »

It took awhile, but here it is, JRand!  

LOL!  Funny cartoon!

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #151 on: December 05, 2004, 09:32:47 PM »

Didn't DRNOEL have a show today....GENERATION F'CKD?

I beg your pardon, the show is called Generation F'd - including the CK would make it obscene.

What an exhilerating two performances.  The cast arrived at the theatre at noon, and this was the first time they had the dimensions of the black box to take into account, and projecting into a raked audience rather than a small rehearsal room.  I was told to arrive at 3, which meant I only spent a little over 8 hours in there.

The scenes the director had cut (for today's two shows) were all ones I wanted cut.  Amazingly, he left in the septet, despite several lyrics forgotten and a total melt down during the 4 o'clock final dress.  The lighting guy arrived at two and the scene changes, most of them, were done in complete darkness.  You could hear crashes and ows until I ran up to the booth and suggested a low blue light come up for in-between scenes.  I changed a lyric from "Oh my God, he's Latin!" to "Ay-yi-yi, he's Latin!" and, when I first sang it for the actress, I put in an extra "yi" by mistake, which led her to be constantly confused about how many "yis" there should be in "Ay-yi-yi."  During the second show, she started her "Ay" way too early but made up for it by insterting six or seven "yis" before her "he's" which was quite charming.

Apparently, I've devoted more hours to this than Second City is willing to pay me.  In my discussions with the lady who handles the producing, she admitted that she thought I was infinitely more valuable than the director, which indicated to me that she thought the show was going to bomb.

Boy, was she surprised!  That relaxed, guru-like stewardship of our genius director led the cast to be confident, relaxed and truthful.  They picked up their cues, when they could, because, often, the audience was laughing too hard to hear the next line.  The audience howled again and again at jokes I doubted could ever go over.

Afterwards, several strangers came up to me to say how much they loved the songs and, of course, how catchy they were.  I was half-hoping the septet would be cut, because I'd lost faith the cast could pull it together.  But it had nice pacing, 3 utterly different couples on first dates, and an ending that topped them all - one that had come directly out of an improv, just as it's supposed to.

Two heroes popped up to help the other numbers go over.  One cast member had created the most brilliant props for the opening: Everybody carried laptops made of foam, a hinge, and day-glo paper which really looked like a turned on screen from a distance (ooh, a Julie Gold reference).  And, after the hysterical non-choreographic rehearsal before Thanksgiving, a cast member who hadn't attended that night came in and restaged the whole thing, so the closing contained tableaux that moved across the staged, inch by inch.

This is the fifth and final Second City show I've done, and I was most pleased to see actors from all the previous ones there, laughing their heads off and having a good time.  On December 13, you have two more chances to catch Generation F'd
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #152 on: December 05, 2004, 09:37:00 PM »

Apropos of Nothing Page Six Dance:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2004, 09:40:31 PM »

Congrats, DR Noel!

Panni

« Reply #154 on: December 05, 2004, 09:41:31 PM »

It's almost 1 AM in NY. They must be having quite a time at that partay.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #155 on: December 05, 2004, 09:41:39 PM »

Congrats on Generation F'd, DR Noel!
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

« Reply #156 on: December 05, 2004, 09:44:39 PM »

The other scenario is that the partay ended a while ago and bk went back to his hotel and dozed off before posting...

Panni

« Reply #157 on: December 05, 2004, 09:45:11 PM »

...Then there's always the alien abduction theory...

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #158 on: December 05, 2004, 09:46:22 PM »

...Then there's always the alien abduction theory...

Why would Mexicans abduct BK?
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

« Reply #159 on: December 05, 2004, 09:47:50 PM »

...For ransom. If each of us put in 10 bucks, think of it, DR DTM!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #160 on: December 05, 2004, 09:50:13 PM »

If those Mexicans are counting on late night denizens to put up the ransom, they're gonna be sorry they picked a Sunday.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

« Reply #161 on: December 05, 2004, 09:55:25 PM »

If those Mexicans are counting on late night denizens to put up the ransom, they're gonna be sorry they picked a Sunday.

Well, if an ear shows up, I'm willing to cough up 20 bucks.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #162 on: December 05, 2004, 09:55:28 PM »

...For ransom. If each of us put in 10 bucks, think of it, DR DTM!

If that's what Dear BK is thinking, then he's never seen Ruthless People.

:o
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #163 on: December 05, 2004, 09:58:25 PM »

The stress of waiting for a ransom note is too much for me.  I must lie down.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #164 on: December 05, 2004, 10:02:21 PM »

Send money now or be bitchslapped to [size=8]tarnation[/size].
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #165 on: December 05, 2004, 10:11:34 PM »

There's only one week left to catch DW Joy at Missouri's largest theatre as Mrs. Claus in Christmas Dreams

...after that, she's mine!
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: December 05, 2004, 10:23:24 PM »

I'm here.  I had a lovely dinner at Joe Allen with dear lurker Iris.  No one else showed, but we'll be having our official get-together tomorrow night anyway.  Seated next to us was my pal Beth Howland and her ever-lovin' Charles Kimbrough.  I invited them to the signing.

Have been attending to things and now must finish the notes.  I'm in a weird time-warp, notes-wise.  Can't really wait until three a.m. to post them, so they'll go up as soon as I finish them.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #167 on: December 05, 2004, 10:25:38 PM »

Good Evening!  From Fairfax!

Piece of cake drive back up.  Surprisingly, there weren't as many bigs rigs and 16-wheelers on the road tonight as there usually are.  I guess the Christmas season has shifted some of the delivery schedules.  And it really is amazing how "fast" I can make up to Fairfax from Richmond just by going the speed limit, 65mph.  The trip is just under 100 miles, and I made it door to door in about an hour and 25 minutes!  -I should also point out that my apartment in Richmond and my parents' house in Fairfax are only about two miles away from the highway, so that helps a lot too.

As I was packing up the car, I finally met the new roommate in the upstairs apartment, Matt.  He had come out on the back porch to smoke.  Ah, well.. too bad he smokes...  ;)

I got some of my stuff put away, and I'll take care of the rest of it in the morning.  -And there were some Oreos on the kitchen counter when I got in too...

:-X

OH!  My sister-in-law has a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning, and she was going to drop off her daughter, my niece, Alyssa, at the house so that my mother could watch her for a bit.  But since I'll be here in the morning... Let the grand experiment begin!  Will she cry, or won't she cry?

And the nicest surprise - besides a small family of deer that were wandering around the neighborhood when I drove in - was the Christmas tree in the living room.  They bought it yesterday, and just put it up in the living room earlier tonight.  All the boxes of Christmas decorations are laid out in the dining room, and I'm guessing over the next couple of days, the Simbulan household will get Christmas'd.  Which also most likely means, I'll be hearing a lot of, "Jojo!  Come here... Can you hang this up for me?" in the next few days.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #168 on: December 05, 2004, 10:25:59 PM »

Glad there was no need to send money.

Panni

« Reply #169 on: December 05, 2004, 10:32:31 PM »

DR Joy makes a very cute Mrs. Claus.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #170 on: December 05, 2004, 10:35:52 PM »

I just want to thank everyone for your warm comments regarding my "Edwina story".  (hmmm, "warm comments"...)  She really is special to me.  We're special to each other.  As I was puttering around the house this afternoon, I realized she's one of the few people from my college years that I still keep in touch with, and, I actually see her more than most of my college friends!

As I mentioned previously, she "is" Richmond to me.  She was the first waitress I had in Richmond back when she was at Stella's.  -And throughout my college years, I ate at Stella's a lot.  A LOT- sometimes three meals a day!  *Stella would make the most amazing Greek Omelet filled with bacon, potatoes, spinach, tomatoes and feta cheese.  Everytime I would come back from a gig, she was there.  When I moved back to Richmond after being away for about five years, she was there.  She may have changed restaurants, but she was always there.  And somehow, I always seemed to find her again whenever she started at a new place.  I look forward to seeing her again - and tipping her again! - once she's recovered from her surgery.  And maybe I'll even see her sooner than that.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up