Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: BACK IN THE SWING OF THINGS  (Read 32359 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:BACK IN THE SWING OF THINGS
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2004, 08:46:42 AM »

(My last comment was driven by the number of posts indicating "I've never seen a Brando film all the way to the end" and the assumption that if someone has not seen Godfather I, he or she will not have seen Godfather II.)

And if you've ever started to watch Godfather I and didn't stick around 'til the end, you missed what may be the greatest denouement ever committed to celluloid.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 08:47:29 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2004, 08:48:30 AM »

I can't believe I have not seen the Godfather 1 or Godfather 2 I will have to make sure I do that over Christmas Break.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 08:49:03 AM by Joey »
There is no music without silence, only noise...

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2004, 08:58:34 AM »

Re:  Guys and Dolls remake.  IIRC, there was indeed scuttlebutt (what is the etymology of that word, I wonder?) about a remake, starring Vin Diesel.  No joke.  At least no intentional joke.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2004, 09:04:43 AM »

Vin Diesel?!!!! Somehow I don't see that working, but I could be wrong. People can suprise you I guess, but it still is a scary idea to me.
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2004, 09:07:43 AM »

IIRC, there was indeed scuttlebutt (what is the etymology of that word, I wonder?)

Well, since you ask: (Source: dictionary.com)

"Scuttlebutt" apparently takes its source from nautical usage. A "scuttlebutt" was a drinking cask on a ship ("butt" being an old term for "cask," dontcha know?), and I guess that the tradition of gossiping 'round the water cooler is older than we thought.

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2004, 09:09:58 AM »

Oh, and put me down on the list of people who've never seen a Brando film (actually, if I started listing all the classics that I've never seen, I'd probably be here all night... heck, I didn't even see Citizen Kane until last year, when The Lovely Wife taught an "intro to film" course)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2004, 09:11:53 AM »

Nothing Brando related but I thought all of you would appreciate this. http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,,1369643,00.html
It has me slightly miffed.

I'm miffed, but not surprised considering the source, at the headline:

President Bush wants 'pro-homosexual' drama banned.

Total poppycock. The generator of the movemnet is an Alabama RedNeck Republican Whacko (is there some redundancy here?). There has been nothing to suggest that the Adminstration would support any such (additional) lunacy.

Back on Dec 1's thread "DECEMBER TO REMEMBER" (post #53) I posted the source article from the Alabama Press - no need to go to the British media for twisted takes - read HHW daily for the most current poop!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Tomovoz

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2004, 09:13:36 AM »

I'm a little amazed at the number of Dear Readers who have not seen The Godfather and The Godfather Part II.  I mention them not as Marlon Brando films per se, but rather as two of the best films ever made.
Horses and Courses. I am more amazed that there are so many who are not Brando fans. I would't bother with The Godfather films again or his "mannered" performances. "Emperor's New Clothes" to me.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2004, 09:16:21 AM »

DRJAY - yes, I have seen THE GODFATHER I II & III.  I have very mixed feelings about these films.  And they have been manipulated into so many parmutations, that I don't know what I am seeing when I see different versions.  I enjoyed them, but I don't know if I want to see them again.  

I forgot JULIUS CAESAR.  And now that MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY has been mentioned, I will add it to my list.  I like the way his Fletcher Christian changes and becomes a responsible person.

DRHISAKA is correct in her assessment of STREETCAR - he is all of the things she wrote about.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2004, 09:32:33 AM »

Hope all dear readers will have the patience to read my poor English and will understand it.

DRHisaka - Your English is better than my Japanese will ever be  ;)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2004, 09:33:58 AM »

Re:  Guys and Dolls remake.  IIRC, there was indeed scuttlebutt (what is the etymology of that word, I wonder?) about a remake, starring Vin Diesel.  No joke.  At least no intentional joke.

If Val Kilmer can play Moses, I think Vin Diesel can handle Sky Masterson.  I think....

DERBRUCER

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2004, 09:57:10 AM »

Well, since you ask: (Source: dictionary.com)

"Scuttlebutt" apparently takes its source from nautical usage. A "scuttlebutt" was a drinking cask on a ship ("butt" being an old term for "cask," dontcha know?), and I guess that the tradition of gossiping 'round the water cooler is older than we thought.

Elan - go to the head of the class!

Word of the Day:

scuttlebutt \SKUHT-l-buht\, noun:
1. (Nautical)
    a. A drinking fountain on a ship.
    b. A cask on a ship that contains the day's supply of drinking water.
2. Gossip; rumor.
….
Scuttlebutt comes from scuttle, "a small opening" + butt, "a large cask" -- that is, a small hole cut into a cask or barrel to allow individual cups of water to be drawn out. The modern equivalent is the office water cooler, also a source of refreshment and gossip.

Actually, I thought you would think a "SKUHT-l-buht" was a gentile rump.

der Brucer

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2004, 10:16:53 AM »

If Val Kilmer can play Moses, I think Vin Diesel can handle Sky Masterson.  I think....

If the billboards can be believed, actually Val Kilmer IS Moses.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2004, 10:17:06 AM »

Thank you all for many warm welcomes.
Hope all dear readers will have the patience to read my poor English and will understand it.

Lucky for all of us - English is a very user-friendly communication tool. (Though it has been observed that English is the easiest language to learn to speak to be understood, but the hardest to learn to speak "correctly".

Even though we may silently giggle at non-native speakers' garbled syntax, confused idioms, and "that just doesn't sound right" sentence structure, we usually get the thought clearly - and that's what counts. It is one of the spoken languages that is relatively insensitive to tone, stress, or word arrangement. You can usually take a simple English sentence, write each word on a separate slip of paper, drop them in a hat, pull them out at random, and still keep the thought. (This works less well for compound sentences.)

A great welcome mat of acceptance has been laid before you by that fact that we have giggled for years reading assembly instructions and user manuals created for our imported products.

We at HHW never criticize each other - (never, what never, well hardly ever) - and many of us take great glee in "mishearing" what others thought they'd said).

der Brucer

Note to Fellow posters:

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2004, 10:27:14 AM »

If the billboards can be believed, actually Val Kilmer IS Moses.

Well, then, in that case I propose:

[size=8]LEA DELARIA is

GUYS AND DOLLS[/size]
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2004, 10:30:05 AM »

For anyone who would like to sample music from the Film Score Monthly 3-CD issue of the complete score for "Mutiny on the Bounty" (1962-MGM-Brando version), plus an alternate score AND re-recorded cues that were on the LP issue, visit:

http://www.screenarchives.com/fsm/detailCD.cfm?ID=313

This site generously offers about 80 minutes of cues, or about one/third of the total (which is just under four hours of music).

The entire set is a magnificent accomplishment.

It's probably my favorite movie score of all time....always among the top 5.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 10:33:23 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2004, 10:32:28 AM »

I think I slept eleven hours in my Maidenform Bra.  I got up at ten to beautiful blue skies (apparently I brought the sunshine back with me and left some in NY).  I'm going to take it pretty easy today and not overdo anything.  I'll try to write some, and that's about it.  Then tomorrow I'll dive into things again in a major way.  

Everyone must use the link on page one so you can hear the radio show tonight - and call in - we love that.  There will be some things played that most of you haven't heard so it will be worth it.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2004, 10:45:17 AM »

HAPPINESS IS A WARM PUPPY GIFT FROM OVERSEAS

Romanian Editorial :

An ode to America
by Cornel Nistorescu
Why are Americans so united? They don't resemble one another even if you paint them! They speak all the languages of the world and form an astonishing mixture of civilizations. Some of them are nearly extinct, others are incompatible with one another, and in matters of religious beliefs, not even God can count how many they are. Still, the American tragedy turned three hundred million people into a hand put on the heart. Nobody rushed to accuse the White House, the army, the secret services that they are only a bunch of losers. Nobody rushed to empty their bank accounts. Nobody rushed on the streets nearby to gape about. The Americans volunteered to donate blood and to give a helping hand. After the first moments of panic, they raised the flag on the smoking ruins, putting on T-shirts, caps and ties in the colours of the national flag. They placed flags on buildings and cars as if in every place and on every car a minister or the president was passing. On every occasion they started singing their traditional song: "God Bless America!".

Silent as a rock, I watched the charity concert broadcast on Saturday once, twice, three times, on different tv channels. There were Clint Eastwood, Willie Nelson, Robert de Niro, Julia Roberts, Cassius Clay, Jack Nicholson, Bruce Springsteen, Silvester Stalone, James Wood, and many others whom no film or producers could ever bring together. The American's solidarity spirit turned them into a choir. Actually, choir is not the word. What you could hear was the heavy artillery of the American soul. What neither George W. Bush, nor Bill Clinton, nor Colin Powell could say without facing the risk of stumbling over words and sounds, was being heard in a great and unmistakable way in this charity concert. I don't know how it happened that all this obsessive singing of America didn't sound croaky, nationalist, or ostentatious! It made you green with envy because you weren't able to sing for your country without running the risk of being considered chauvinist, ridiculous, or suspected of who-knows-what mean interests. I watched the live broadcast and the rerun of its rerun for hours listening to the story of the guy who went down one hundred floors with a woman in a wheelchair without knowing who she was, or of the Californian hockey player, who fought with the terrorists and prevented the plane from hitting a target that would have killed other hundreds or thousands of people. How on earth were they able to sacrifice for their fellow humans? Imperceptibly, with every word and musical note, the memory of some turned into a modern myth of tragic heroes. And with every phone call, millions and millions of dollars were put in a collection aimed at rewarding not a man or a family, but a spirit which nothing can buy.

What on earth can unite the Americans in such a way? Their land? Their galloping history? Their economic power? Money? I tried for hours to find an answer, humming songs and murmuring phrases which risk of sounding like commonplaces. I thought things over, but I reached only one conclusion.

Only freedom can work such miracles!

Note:

"An Ode to America" is a leading article written by Cornel Nistorescu, manager of "Evenimentul Zilei" newspaper, and published in the 24-th september issue.
This leading article is spreading worldwide, retransmitted by hundreds of thousands of readers on the Internet. In addition, the article is also distributed by the US Forces Command Public Affairs Office.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2004, 11:06:24 AM »

I like Hisaka's English - even in person I had no trouble understanding anything she or her friend said, although I think I confused them a few times.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2004, 11:23:10 AM »

What is the "theme" of tonight's radio show/interview?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2004, 11:32:29 AM »

In 30 minutes I will be off work for the weekend! Hallelujah!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2004, 11:42:07 AM »

We'll be talking about Writer's Block and What If and playing a lot of interesting music you'll want to hear.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2004, 11:52:32 AM »

DtM I was hoping the interview with Betty Hutton would be on again since I missed it.

Matt H I agree last night’s episode of LOST was a good one.

JMK when is your birthday?  Craig’s birthday is September 27th.  Since we aren’t overly religious his birthday came first.

To continue the discussion on birthdays near holidays, my uncle always enjoyed celebrating his birthday on Dec. 24th.  Last night my uncle passed away suddenly.  I had truly hoped this would be the year we didn’t loose any family members, including our 4 legged ones.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2004, 11:52:34 AM »

TOD
[/b][/u]

Sorry, but I have seen a great many Brando films all the way through, and I don’t care for the majority of them.  I do enjoy GUYS AND DOLLS, but then I like the musical.  But also, I think his Sky is one of his least mannered performances.  Other than that, I do not enjoy his work as an actor.  I don’t enjoy him is his classic roles in ON THE WATERFRONT or STREETCAR, and I have certainly not seen him do anything in the last thirty years that would change my opinion of him.  As for LAST TANGO IN PARIS, it was interesting, but I certainly didn’t enjoy it.  This is not to take away from the quality of many of the films that he was in, but his performance was always the least enjoyable part of those movies.

Hisaka – Welcome to HHW!

I have a question for anyone here (even though it is not an Ask Question day):   I have just a regular 27” television and probably will have for the foreseeable future.  When I buy a DVD (in this case Harry Potter) should I buy the Widescreen version or the Full screen version, and why?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2004, 11:58:51 AM »

I have a question for anyone here (even though it is not an Ask Question day):   I have just a regular 27” television and probably will have for the foreseeable future.  When I buy a DVD (in this case Harry Potter) should I buy the Widescreen version or the Full screen version, and why?

Widescreen...ALWAYS!  27 inches is more than big enough to be able to see all the details and you'll be ready WHEN (not if) you get a widescreen TV.  Just my 2¢.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 11:59:25 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2004, 12:12:33 PM »

CP I very much agree with your assessment of Marlon Brando.

Matt H, I was upset Michael Cain didn’t win for SLUETH or my very close 2nd choice Olivier.  Not far behind I felt Peter O’Toole gave a great performance in THE RULING CLASS.  Last on my list was Marlon Brando.

elmore I strongly agree with your least favorites.

Off hand my favorites are SAYANARA and GUYS AND DOLLS but I need to think more on my answer.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2004, 12:14:48 PM »

...27 inches is more than big enough...

George is advising TCB that 27 inches is more than big enough. Will no one swing at this?

der Brucer

Jane

« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2004, 12:17:03 PM »

I like Hisaka's English - even in person I had no trouble understanding anything she or her friend said, although I think I confused them a few times.

LOL-I bet. ;D

Hisaka your English is beautiful.  Feel free to question us when we don't make any sense. :D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2004, 12:18:54 PM »

OH, by the way, the cast included some very cute male actors, one of whom I have already managed to track down...I smell an interview coming on!!

(I can just hear DR Elmore3003 now!)

OY!!!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2004, 12:22:58 PM »

When you mention Mutiny on the Bounty the first thing that comes to mind is Humphrey Bogart in THE CAINE MUTINY. ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up