Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: 80,000 POSTS  (Read 26569 times)

Emily

Re:80,000 POSTS
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2004, 08:52:17 AM »

[size=8]HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MBARNUM!!![/size]
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2004, 08:52:46 AM »

someone needs to dance for me... I'm running out of the house RIGHT NOW!

(make the dance spiffy :) )
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

MBarnum

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2004, 09:04:02 AM »

Wow, thank you all for the wonderful Birthday wishes! So nice to wake up to!!!

I took today off from work and got to sleep in and it was fantastic!! Freddy cuddled with me and we just crashed until 8am!! Now I have had my first cup of java and my first taste of a new cereal called CARB WELL....and it tastes really, really good!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2004, 09:08:39 AM »

A quick hello, then back to work. Was up at 5:30-ish. I like working early in the morning (if I have to). Have already taken a brisk walk - two actually - one with the Abester and a longer one by myself. It is absolutely gorgeous outside in the City of Studio. My phone meeting is at noon - so will work until then. Send me brilliant vibes, pleeze. (That is, vibes to make me brilliant.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2004, 09:10:01 AM »

DVD:  Hannah Queen of the Vampires with Andrew Prine & Mark Damon
Which one plays Hannah???   ???
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2004, 09:12:13 AM »

Media check:

DVD: The Jack Benny Program Vol. 1 (from Critics      Choice  Classic Television Collection);
         Sinderella and the Golden Bra;
         The Mask of Fu Manchu (on DVDr).

VHS: Nothing, because I totally forgot to tape the two movies on TCM that I wanted to watch this week.

CD: Arthur Lyman: Sonic Sixties
       Tito Guizar: Peerless 70
       Best of Bellydance:

And my Bollywood movie of the week:
MASEEHA (2002). A typical Bollywood crime drama...and not a very good one...but it does star Sunil Shetty, so at least the scenery is good!

Ginny

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2004, 09:12:52 AM »

BK also recorded a CD called "A Hollywood Christmas."  It has "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch," with two reprises of it!

George - Thanks for the lead!  My library system owns A Hollywood Christmas, but not here at Main where I'm at work.  I've placed a request for a branch copy and it should be here when I get back from my 3-day weekend.  After listening, I'll probably want to buy it, huh?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2004, 09:13:11 AM »

JRand54, I want a full report on HANNAH QUEEN OF THE VAMPIRES so I can know whether to pick it up myself, or not!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2004, 09:14:16 AM »

Good phone vibes for DRPANNI.

Ah yes DRSTUART....The Sound of Music - and how about that dress with the big flounce on one shoulder and another on the opposite hip?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2004, 09:14:33 AM »

And she has the BEST coutourier in Vienna?  ::)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 09:14:51 AM by JRand54 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2004, 09:15:41 AM »

LOL SWW - Hannah is played by Teresa Gimpera.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2004, 09:23:30 AM »

Meeting vibes for Panni:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size][/move]

(BTW, I came across a reference in a cooking magazine last night: the writer called paprika "Budapest MSG."   :D)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2004, 09:24:22 AM »

Happy Birthday to MBarnum, with finger-cymbals on!   :)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2004, 09:36:29 AM »

[move=down,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=9]HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MIKE!![/size][/move]

You're close enough that you could actually drop by for some of the chocolate cake I promised BK a few days ago!  Any excuse for Betsy to make it is OK in my book.  :)

Media:  Like Vixmom, I'm currently listening to a Celtic compilation CD that Betsy gave me for Channukah.  I love Celtic music on gray, stormy days--don't know why.  I, like BK, have spent a lot of the last week listening to Mutiny on the Bounty, one of my all-time favorite scores.  I have also been listening to the latest batch of Percy Faith reissues--it turns out the bonus tracks on I Think I Love You are not just single versions of album tracks, they're all non-album single releases, so they are quite rare.  One of them, Anytime of the Year, sounds so familiar to me (it starts with the female chorus singing "I can hear the music...").  Was it theme music for the old Beautiful Music format that used to dominate MOR radio back in the early 70s?  Does anyone else remember this tune?

DVD:  I had been watching (listening to?) the commentary on Powell and Pressburger's I Know Where I'm Going, but then Betsy gave me a MST3K DVD last night, so we opted for that.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 09:37:50 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2004, 09:39:35 AM »

Media Report:

Books: Finished The DaVinci Code.  Yeah, I can see Tom Hanks in the male lead.

DVD Player: Nothing, really.  

CD Player: Monday was very busy in the car, of course.  On the way north from Rehoboth Beach to NYC (once we got off the ferry), we listened to the OCR of Bells Are Ringing (I think I prefer BK's recording on the whole, but he didn't get to record with Judy Holiday ever, drat), followed by the OCR of Bounce (still as disappointing as when we saw it a year ago in DC).  Then we turned on the radio for traffic broadcasts.

On the way back, we first listened to the new Christmas CD Elmore burned for several of us, and enjoyed it very much.  This was followed by Lucky Me (the BK cast recording), and then a Greatest Hits collection from the Mamas and the Papas.  We got a start on Stephen Schwartz' Reluctant Pilgrim, and then we were home again!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2004, 09:45:55 AM »

A quick hello, then back to work. Was up at 5:30-ish. I like working early in the morning (if I have to). Have already taken a brisk walk - two actually - one with the Abester and a longer one by myself. It is absolutely gorgeous outside in the City of Studio. My phone meeting is at noon - so will work until then. Send me brilliant vibes, pleeze. (That is, vibes to make me brilliant.)

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~The Most Brilliant of Brilliance Vibes to Panni~~~[/move]
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 09:46:12 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2004, 09:47:20 AM »

George - Thanks for the lead!  My library system owns A Hollywood Christmas, but not here at Main where I'm at work.  I've placed a request for a branch copy and it should be here when I get back from my 3-day weekend.  After listening, I'll probably want to buy it, huh?

Umm...duh!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2004, 09:49:48 AM »

MASEEHA (2002). A typical Bollywood crime drama...and not a very good one...but it does star Sunil Shetty, so at least the scenery is good!

My birthday wish for you includes the ability to track down a Bollywood epic that stars both Mr. Sunil Shetty AND Mr. John Abraham!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2004, 09:50:55 AM »

And she has the BEST coutourier in Vienna?  ::)

Perhaps, but whoever it is is certainly no Miss Rae Smith.....

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2004, 09:52:32 AM »

Time for me to pretend I'm the Food Channel again, because last night's Chicken Chile Verde was nummy!

Start with 1/2 pound boneless chicken (I used thigh meat), cut into thin strips.  Heat a couple T veg oil over high heat in a frying pan, add the chicken, stirring, until the chicken has just turned golden, about 90 second.

Turn the heat down to medium, sprinkle the bird with 1 1/2 t ground cumin and 2 T yellow cornmeal, and cook, still stirring, for another minute, toasting the spices a little.  Add 2 cups chopped scallions (that's about 2 bunches), and keep stirring for another 30 seconds.  Then add a can of chicken broth (or two-cups if you've made your own) and a 4-oz. can of chopped green chiles, and let the mixture simmer for five minutes or so, until it's thickened a little.  Garnish with some chopped cilantro and serve.

Ah, what to serve it with?  Rice would do, as would egg noodles.  I made some grits, to which I added chopped olives and pickled jalapenos, which made a mighty tasty combination.

And I can't see why this wouldn't work with pork loin instead of chicken.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 09:53:27 AM by S. Woody White »

George

« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2004, 09:52:40 AM »

Only 38 more to go (after this one)!  Today's Post #88 will be the 80,000th!!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 09:55:04 AM by George »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2004, 10:02:58 AM »

And, on a grumpier note, is there anyone else out there who gets asked to do the Christmas shopping for relatives who are "too busy"?

Last year, der Brucer's family was constantly asking us to dash all over Delaware to find the gifts they couldn't (or wouldn't) travel to get themselves.  This year, it's happening again, twice so far as the son-in-law has asked der B to find something for the son-in-law's wife (der B'd daughter) without really knowing what it is the wife was requesting (which doesn't exist in any case), and the daughter has asked for a clothing purchase for the grandlads (which der B is afraid is already sold out, in any case).

Bleh.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2004, 10:13:24 AM »

Darn you, S. Woody.  Darn you all to heck!

It's bad enough that the fog here this morning is thicker than pea soup (think of foggy London in all those b/w mysteries of the 30s and 40s).  

In fact, it's so thick, it's like the thickest chunky beef stew you can imagine.

A fork would stand up in it.

AND NOW CHICKEN CHILE VERDE?  And don't even get me started on those grits!  YUM!

I'M HUNGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AUGH-H-H-H-H-H-H-H-H!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 10:15:34 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2004, 10:14:49 AM »

Meanwhile, does anyone remember DR Charles Pogue writing earlier this week about seeing the stage adaptation of His Dark Materials while in London?

Well, a film version of the trilogy is being made, and according to an article in the London Times, said film version has hit a major snag.

Chris Weitz, the director, has horrified fans by announcing that references to the church are likely to be banished in his film. Meanwhile the “Authority”, the weak God figure, will become “any arbitrary establishment that curtails the freedom of the individual”.

The studio wants alterations because of fears of a backlash from the Christian Right in the United States.

And, because of this, the article further states, they've shelved a script by Tom Stoppard!  Yipes!

Anyone read the books yet?  They sound interesting to me.  (I should have picked up the playscript while we were at the Drama Book Store in NYC, but the original books should be pretty good from what I hear.)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 10:20:07 AM by S. Woody White »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2004, 10:20:36 AM »

EEEE, I am vexed!  I had every intention of listening to BK amuse us on radio last night, but took a little nap at seven and didn't get up till eleven fifteen that night.  But the rest was good; it along with the best cold remedy substance around, Lemsip, has pretty much chased this cold off that has been dogging me the last few days.  

Happy B'day, MBarnum!

In the CD:  some CDs I got at the Dress Circle in London:

RON RAINES: So In Love with Broadway

CLIVE ROWE: Live at the Donmar

RAY NOBLE and His Orchestra:  The Touch of Your Lips featuring Al Bowlly as vocalist.

I also acquired a Derek & Clive album with Peter Cook & Dudley Moore.  It is not the original one, but it is very intermittently funny.  So of it is gut-bustingly funny, other bits just miss or go on too long. It sounds like both of them are totally pissed and just riffiing off the top of their heads through most of it.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2004, 10:21:31 AM »

Darn you, S. Woody.  Darn you all to heck!
I always aim to please!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2004, 10:22:02 AM »

S. Woody, I'm sure you mean Lucky Stiff, not Lucky Me.  Lucky Me is a song by Benjamin Kritzer.  If you make this sort of mistake too often I think you know that der Brucer will be merciless about it and go on and on and on about it. :-)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2004, 10:23:02 AM »

I slept late again, but boy did I need it.  I'm going to take it easy again today because I have a crowded weekend, but come Monday I shall be writing like a whirling dervish or, at the very least, like a dervish whirling.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2004, 10:33:31 AM »

Happy Birthday to MBarnum, with finger-cymbals on!   :)

I think DRMBarnum wears his finger cymbals well, sort of a Bollywood Anitra.

I know Andrew Prine's current wife Heather!  She was an Oxford, Ohio, bimbo who played Kim Macafee in 1969!  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2004, 10:35:32 AM »

My birthday wish for you includes the ability to track down a Bollywood epic that stars both Mr. Sunil Shetty AND Mr. John Abraham!

The fallout from Oregon would be deadly!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up