Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: HO, HO, HO  (Read 30388 times)

Jennifer

Re:HO, HO, HO
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2004, 08:49:15 AM »

Re: Desperate Housewives

Check next Saturday. I thought they were repeating every episode the following Saturday.  Does anybody know if they are still doing this?

Jennifer

« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2004, 08:51:42 AM »

Re: Golden Globe noms

Here are some interesting ones I remember from this morning:

Teri Hatcher, Felicity Huffman, AND Marcia Cross nominiated for Desperate Housewives.

Phantom of the Opera nominated for best move/musical/comedy.  And the young girl (emma?) is nominated as well.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2004, 09:06:45 AM »

In lieu of that, please, please, please no an-actor-whose-wife-had-a-hit-sitcom-ten-years-later-and-who-later-starred-in-a-film-version-of-a-play-that-flopped-off-broadway trivia questions!

Yeah. Give us clueless Dear Readers a chance.

Greetings from the library where I am spending my last few moments CRAMMING for my boring survey class final. Google.com has really made this easier. But it's still boring. Vibes please!

I don't know if yesterday was Tom's birthday or if it's tomorrow or even when yesterday and tomorrow are or were or will be, Australian-wise speaking, so to save myself from running around in circles, I'll just say HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOM right now and if I'm too late, he can save it for next year.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2004, 09:11:52 AM »

Feel better, Dear TCB!

Panni

« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2004, 09:12:32 AM »

*****Healing Vibes to DR Jose's dad*****

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2004, 09:14:27 AM »

More food, that's what we need around here.

We will, of course, be celebrating Tom of Oz's birthday in tomorrow's notes, but feel free to do it today, too, if you like.

I'm pondering the DVD situation.  The Electronic Hat might be a good idea - just toss in everyone's names (all our regular posters) and see who the hat chooses.   I would prefer that people didn't make copies - don't mind if you talk about it here, but copies have a way of making copies have a way of making copies and I can't have these floating around in the ether everywhere.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2004, 09:14:34 AM »

Oh, and I forgot the topic o' the day. My favorite Christmas food is floop. Bet no one saw that coming.

As soon as I am done pretending to study, I will go get a Cherry Coke. That's what will get me through the test, not all this "studying."

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2004, 09:15:37 AM »

These stories remind me of something I saw yesterday while X-Mas shopping.   I was walking in a large store, and I passed the customer service/return counter.  Just as I walked past, I saw this man slip and fall.

I have no idea  why, but this reminded me of something I saw yesterday whilst Christmas shopping,

Just as I passed Abercrombie & Finch I saw a young, tan  muscled Adonis, about 20 years old posing and  twitching his well toned postier  in the lobby of the store.  He was wearing a pair of A & C  shredded jeans low slung to there....

just the jeans

not shoes, no  socks, no shirt...and looking ready to service

I had the 11 years old Vixter with me...
she wanted to know why the man wasn't being tossed out of the mall...

"Aren't you supposed to wear a shirt and shoes in a store?"

When I explained that he worked there she looked at me
increduously and said  'That's his job? Being naked in public?"

She also couldn't figure out why anyone would pay $80 for ripped jeans.. "They look like he fell off the monkey bars like a million times "

So I am raising a child with no fashion sense but perhaps some common sense.

Somehow I found the whole incident somewhat disturbing  (and yes a little titillating I must confess )

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2004, 09:15:57 AM »

Re: Desperate Housewives

Check next Saturday. I thought they were repeating every episode the following Saturday.  Does anybody know if they are still doing this?

No, they aren't doing this any more. I think they figured out it might sap some of their Sunday audience of folks knew they could also catch it on Saturday. ABC wants the biggest audience possible on Sunday.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2004, 09:15:58 AM »

Ms. June Wilkinson was indeed at Pogue's party, though she came late so BK missed her.  Sooo many people were at the "do", that it seems to have been one of the best yet.  It must have been because I  didn't get to sit down until late...I was answering doors, getting folks drinks (I always get them their first one, after that they're on their own and free to raid the refrigerator), seeing folks off...I haven't taken a head count yet, but it were a lot of folks.

Ginny, when I was in High School in Northern Kentucky, our school, Highlands, sang every year with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra.  The Orchestra would come to our high school auditorium and do a concert with us.  It was then conducted by one Max Rudolf.  But Erich Kunzel, then a very young man, was associate conductor (or whatever they called them back then)and held the baton at many of those concerts.  He and our music teacher, Robert Knauf, became life-long friends.  One year our choir along with a bunch of other Greater Cincinnati high schools and local choirs performed with the Cincinnati Symphony at the Music Hall under the direction of Robert Shaw, director of the then-famous Robert Shaw Chorale.

Panni

« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2004, 09:18:40 AM »

And... Happy early-but-on-time-in-Australia (I think) 60th Birthday to Terrific Tomovoz!  

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2004, 09:18:47 AM »

"They look like he fell off the monkey bars like a million times "

There is more wisdom in that than in all this Keats-Hardy-Shelley-Virginia Woolf-Samuel Beckett stuff I'm supposed to understand.

Panni

« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2004, 09:23:26 AM »

The cake came out a little strange, so I'll bake another....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2004, 09:29:31 AM »

The Vixter sounds very wise and she should join our family of posters.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2004, 09:40:17 AM »

The Vixter sounds very wise and she should join our family of posters.

Thank you, but I fear that her posts would mainly consist of her  philosophy of life based on SpongeBob and A Series of Unfortunate Events.... ;D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Panni

« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2004, 09:41:58 AM »

I hope DR Noel doesn't go away for a month!  In case you're still in the vicinity, Noel, you were asking a few days ago about digital cameras for under $100. There were several advertised in this weekend's paper -- which I just noticed as I was about to throw it out. The Kodak EasyShare, for example, which some of the DRs like, is advertised at $99.99 plus 10% off.

Panni

« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2004, 09:43:39 AM »

There is more wisdom in that than in all this Keats-Hardy-Shelley-Virginia Woolf-Samuel Beckett stuff I'm supposed to understand.

A monkey bar is a monkey bar is a monkey bar....
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 09:44:17 AM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2004, 09:47:19 AM »

Okay, enough of the fun stuff. I need to write very hard today. I'll reward myself with a once an hour lurk and perhaps a brief hourly post. Please send me vibes of stick-to-itness and major creativity. Not too much to ask, is it?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2004, 09:47:52 AM »

We will, of course, be celebrating Tom of Oz's birthday in tomorrow's notes, but feel free to do it today, too, if you like.

I was going to comment that today was one of the very few December days on which we didn't have a birthday.  And so, to all of us Hainesies and Kimmlets:

A very merry unbirthday
To you,
To you.
A very merry unbirthday to you,
It's great to drink to someone
And I guess that you will do.
A very merry unbirthday to you!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2004, 09:51:50 AM »

"They look like he fell off the monkey bars like a million times "

This is my new favorite catch phrase!   Please thank the Vixter for me.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2004, 09:54:24 AM »

! ! ! ! !  STICKY AND CREATIVE VIBES FOR DR PANNI  ! ! ! ! !
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2004, 09:56:38 AM »

I just received an e-mail from a friend whose husband underwent surgery. She said that the operation went okay and they just got home from the hospital stay, which was longer than expected. Then she added that things should be uphill from now on. Should I take that as good news?

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2004, 09:58:30 AM »

I have no idea  why, but this reminded me of something I saw yesterday whilst Christmas shopping,

Just as I passed Abercrombie & Finch I saw a young, tan  muscled Adonis, about 20 years old posing and  twitching his well toned postier  in the lobby of the store.  He was wearing a pair of A & C  shredded jeans low slung to there....

just the jeans

not shoes, no  socks, no shirt...and looking ready to service

The Dear Partner and I were in a mall and saw this same sort of display.

We circled the store as many times as we could before becoming too obvious.

There enlies the difference between the Vixster and us.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2004, 09:59:34 AM »

The DVD Dilemma

I think the Electronic Hat is a fine idea, and certainly a fair and equitable way to decide who gets a DVD.  At the same time, BK, you are our genial host, who invites us into your home each day for this partay; and therefore I certainly think you have a right to give these DVDs to the people you would like to receive them.  After all, that is part of the spirit of giving that makes Christmas so special.  So, I think whatever you decide should be acceptable to all of us, without any hard feelings………… By the way, did I mention, BK, that I consider you to be an artistic genius and truly one of the world’s great renaissance men?

Thanks to all of you, for your good wishes and vibes.  I think I will live, and I am quite sure that my visit to the dentist should completely overshadow any other aches and pains that I might have been experiencing.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2004, 10:06:51 AM »

Dan-in-Toronto,  Your friend's remark about everything being "uphill from now" is actualy an interesting bit of semantics.  Because we usually say things like "it's an up hill battle" to imply a certain degree of difficulty.  But alternatively, "downhill" doesn't usually mean an easy journey either, but rather a descent into the chasm.  It seems the only place that is safe on the hill is at its apex.  So I suppose her phrase was meant to suggest good news.  It's probably better to be moving toward the apex rather than sliding down away from it.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2004, 10:12:36 AM »

BTW (By The Way in internet lingo), thank you BK for your parting message in last night's posts.  One of the great things that separate this site from so many other sites on the internet, is the fact that we can all express our opinions on different issues, openly, without fear of being attacked my other members of the group.  From time to time, some of us forget that (myself included).  It is nice to be reminded why we all come back here day in and day out.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2004, 10:20:34 AM »

DR Jose: Please check your messages.   Thank-you.  :D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2004, 10:31:38 AM »

DR Jose: Please check your messages.   Thank-you.  :D

DR SWW - I have...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2004, 10:40:19 AM »

Favorite Christmas Foods:

My Dad's macaroni and potato salads--I remember that it took my dad just about an hour or so to whip these up on Christmas Eve to be served for the dinner the next day.  After he died, I took up making it and it took me about three hours (all that slicing and dicing of onions, celery and pickles and cubing the potatoes to the right size.)  I had to give it up eventually because I just didn't have the time.  But a few years ago, my sister began to make it.  It's very tasty, but it's still not my Dad's.  As much as we all watched him make it when we were young, we must have missed something.  Dad took the secret ingredient with him.
For what it's worth, DR Dan, how things taste to us changes over the years, from childhood to adulthood.  Our taste buds grow up, just as we do.  This is one of the reasons I've been avoiding pumpkin pie ever since my mother passed on; I know that no matter what, it won't taste "the same" as what I remember.  On the other hand, I now actually like Brussels sprouts, something I never could have imagined when I was young.

But I'm glad you have such good memories of your father.  And dang, I do miss pumpkin pie.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2004, 10:43:29 AM »

Vibes for TCB to feel better again, before his next performance

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up