Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SMELL-O-NOTES  (Read 30448 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SMELL-O-NOTES
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2004, 09:38:13 AM »

Never heard of Troy Vey.

Mr. Pool Man took a look at the heater - it works if you switch it to manual, and he rotated the timer button and that made it work, too.  So, the timer mechanism may be bad (the little motor that makes it rotate to trip the sensors at the times I have set for it to go on).  If that's the case, then Mr. Pool Man's boss has to come out and replace it - until then, I can use the heater manually.  Whew.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2004, 09:41:56 AM »

Lovely costume choices!

Milo Anderson, William Travilla, and Orry-Kelly are three more whose designs I like a lot.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2004, 09:41:58 AM »

I believe that should be "First you STEAL a chicken...."

Why not just steal the soup?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2004, 09:42:41 AM »

Edith Head Gives Good Costume!
And, if anyone has any doubts about who Edith Head was (as if!), we can refer them to the featurette Edith Head - the Paramount Years, on the To Catch a Thief DVD.

How many other designers can be spoofed so long after their reign, as she has been in The Incredibles?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2004, 09:47:30 AM »

The Li'l Abner tin band is nice, but to get a primo one with the original box seems to cost upwards of four hundred bucks.  I'm just not THAT obsessive yet.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2004, 09:47:35 AM »

! ! ! ! !  VIBRANT VIBES OF HEALING FOR DR JOSE'S DAD  ! ! ! ! !
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2004, 09:48:07 AM »

chicken soup:

take most of the skin and ALL of the yellow fat off your dead chicken. Put it in a large soup pot and cover it with clean water. Toss a couple of stalks of celery and a large carrot or two into the pot, and a whole yellow onion. Peel a whole head of garlic, and put the cloves into the pot. Toss in a scant fistfull of mixed peppercorns, and two or three bay leaves. Let the pot simmer for a couple of hours. DO NOT BOIL or your broth may cloud up. Remove the chicken and veg's and skim the top of the pot. Take the meat off the bones and put it back in, cut the celery and carrot up and put them back. Add whatever other vegetables you like: I put in mushrooms, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, whatever I have. But purists keep it very simple and add only matzoh balls (that's another day's recipe) or rice or noodles. Cook 'til the stuff you added is done, and suck it down! Save some for me!

This sounds wonderful.  I never would have thought of the garlic that's probably the secrect ingredient I've been missing that makes my own soup so bland. I will have to try this as soon as I can get me a chicken!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2004, 09:49:10 AM »

Brother Berenstain didn't study for his test and just got an F. Maybe it's a sign...
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

vixmom

« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2004, 09:54:09 AM »

Why not just steal the soup?

It leaks out your pockets...

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2004, 10:06:53 AM »

I'd say Walter Plunkett did the most eye-catching designs for films, so he's my favorite. I think he did the SINGIN' IN THE RAIN clothes, and he's most famous for GONE WITH THE WIND. He won an Oscar for his work on AN AMERICAN IN PARIS, though I think he was only responsible for the black and white ball costumes. (Irene Sharaff, another favorite, did the ballet costumes.)
Not to mention two versions of The Three Musketeers (1935, with Walter Able, and 1948, with Gene Kelly), and gazillion of others.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2004, 10:14:06 AM »

Ok, mock me all you real chefs, with your recipes starting with "First you hatch your chicken..."
No, I simply open a can of chicken broth and start from there.  Then I'll add either some egg noodles or some rice (but not enough to absorb all the broth, of course), some carrots and celery.

Better yet is to poach a couple of boneless/skinless chicken breasts in the broth first, then shred the meat and add that to the soup.  The breasts will make the broth that much richer.

Light herbs, such as parsley, add to the soup's flavor and color.  And yes, I do keep a supply of dried parsley on hand, which works very well in these cases.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2004, 10:15:44 AM »

This sounds wonderful.  I never would have thought of the garlic that's probably the secrect ingredient I've been missing that makes my own soup so bland. I will have to try this as soon as I can get me a chicken!!

DR PennyO did indeed supply you with a basic recipe for chicken soup.  Yet you have mentioned that you think there is a "secret" ingredient in other chicken soups that gives them more flavor than yours......

Might I suggest that the missing secret ingredient in your chicken soup might be......

BEEF?

True.  My mother (and therefore I) would never think of making chicken soup without a couple of strips of flanken, tossed in with the vegetables first.  (We are not talking flank steak, but rather what is termed "short ribs.")  The leaner the better (her mother -- my grandmother -- used to use a chuck steak instead).  Not only does it add depth to the broth, but nothing beats some boiled flanken.....

MBarnum

« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2004, 10:27:36 AM »

Ah, yes, Orry-Kelly, had forgotten...I would add him/her as a favorite!

Allison Hayes wore some fine outfits in her films...however, I think they were out of her closet most of the time! LOL!

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2004, 10:33:14 AM »

Sure, but come Passover when I tell you that Chad Gad'ya isn't really about a goat and bitre zuzim, I hope you feel the same way!

Hey! I thought I was the only one allowed to make obscure Jewish liturgical references on this board  ;D

At some point, I really ought to look into the nature of religious counting songs, and see if there's a universal theme going on. Judaism's got "Who Knows One?" (aka "Echad Mi Yodea" or "Quen
Supiense Y Entendiense," depending on your language preference), and Christianity's got the aforementioned "Twelve Days" and "Children Go Where I Send You."

Of course, I'm going to do this AFTER the holiday season, since right now, I'm about carolled out (shopping this year puts my teeth on edge... so help me, if I hear that drummer boy rut-a-ta-tumming one more time...)... of course, I get my revenge by performing Tom Lehrer's "Christmas Carol" at every opportunity ("so let the raucous sleigh bells jingle/hail our dear old friend, Kris Kringle/ driving his reindeer across the sky/ don't stand underneath when they fly by")

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2004, 10:34:09 AM »

Another beautiful day here in Los Angeles, California, USA.  I really must try and get out in the sunshine a bit today.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2004, 10:36:35 AM »

Re: this discussion of the "12 Days of Christmas"

The first day of the Christmas celebration is counted from December 26, the day after Christmas, to January 6, the traditional day for celebrating the coming of the wise men to worship Jesus, also called the day of "Epiphany.".

Actually, December 25th is the first day of Christmas and the 12th day is January 5, the day before the church celebrates Epiphany.  Twelfth Night celebrations are normally held on January 5, the night before the religious holiday, similar to Fat Tuesday being the last day of celebration prior to Lent.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2004, 10:42:08 AM »

I feel the urge to post, and yet I can not think of anything to post about...other then the fact that I am very bored at work today (actually all week).

vixmom

« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2004, 10:43:32 AM »

Another beautiful day here in Los Angeles, California, USA.  I really must try and get out in the sunshine a bit today.

It's beautiful and sunny here on Long Island, but if you step outside your earlobes may freeze off

MBarnum

« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2004, 10:44:57 AM »

It is foggy and cool in the capitol city of Salem, Oregon. Looks like winter to me!

MBarnum

« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2004, 10:46:24 AM »

BK, have you finished watching BEES SAAL BAAD...now I know it is not that loooooooooong of a movie!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 10:46:45 AM by MBarnum »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2004, 10:50:14 AM »

Hopefully soon DRMBARNUM I will have the opportunity to be bored at work.

And yes most of Allison's clothes came out of her own closet - and unfortunately a lot of them came from Frederick's of Hollywood - for whom she modeled in May, 1957!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2004, 10:50:55 AM »

Almost finished - it's lots of fun in that weird Bollywood way.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2004, 10:51:31 AM »

Hey! I thought I was the only one allowed to make obscure Jewish liturgical references on this board  ;D

You were on my mind when I wrote it, DR Elan.  ;)

Tomovoz

« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2004, 10:52:19 AM »

DR Stuart: As I wrote earlier, the Religious significance of "12 Days Of Christmas"has been debunked!! Google again!
Acknowledgements for the discussion are due to TCB from Christmas last year.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 10:52:45 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2004, 10:58:28 AM »

QED!

Tomovoz

« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2004, 10:59:06 AM »

Urban legend - Twelve Days of Christmas.  More convincing to me!!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2004, 11:01:19 AM »

Well.....I reported all of my problems to Amazon.com yesterday, as I wrote, and a partial refund was credited to me.  There is a button to click if that solved the problem OR a button to click if it did not.

Of course, I clicked the "did not" button and gave someone else the whole story.  WELL - today, Aimee from Amazon emailed me and told me that I was being sent WITHOUT CHARGE a brand new SCARFACE gift set (price including shipping $42.98).  And sure enough it's in my order list, for FREE.

Hmmmmmmmmmm......thanks, Amazon - and Sally Brown for the lesson!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2004, 11:02:03 AM »

Ah, yes, Orry-Kelly, had forgotten...I would add him/her as a favorite!

Allison Hayes wore some fine outfits in her films...however, I think they were out of her closet most of the time! LOL!
Orry-Kelly was a he.

As for Allison Hayes, most of her outfits were more out than in, weren't they?   :o

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2004, 11:05:31 AM »

Charles LeMaire won an Oscar for this wardrobe for LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDORED THING - and he also did some terrific work in A WOMAN'S WORLD dressing Lauren Bacall, June Allyson, and Arlene Dahl.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2004, 11:06:19 AM »

LOL SWW - good point!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up