Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: IF YOU ASK ME  (Read 23931 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:IF YOU ASK ME
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2004, 12:32:44 PM »

There used to be a great used record store on Melrose right down the block from the Paramount gate (where Frances met Leif, supposedly) called A-1 Record Finders that had an amazing selection of still-sealed OCRs...
Oh, just a short walk from where Griffs used to be... 8)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2004, 12:32:53 PM »

Yes, there were nine worse dresses - completely inappropriate.  This one at least had an air of "innocence" about it.

Oh, and I had a lovely e-mail from my producer, who is completely happy with the changes I made to the script from the handful of notes he had.  So, for now, I am done.  All he has to do is go raise the money now, and then the film can get made.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2004, 12:34:09 PM »

I don't remember anyone dancing at Griffs.  I guess their leather chaps were too tight.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2004, 12:34:46 PM »

I, too, was a regular A-1 Recordfinders customer.  The owner was a fellow named Brian Burney.  I got much rare stuff from him, including some audio tapes of unrecorded stuff - it's how I got a really good-sounding recording of La Strada made just after it opened and just before it closed (basically the one night it was open).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2004, 12:38:36 PM »

LOL.....Broadway Musicals 101 has a couple of photos of LA STRADA.

No comments (except JMK's) on Renata Scott?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2004, 12:39:07 PM »

Welcome six GUESTS.  We're talkin' about everything.  Who ARE you people?

Okay, keep the home fries burning, and I shall return after painting your wagon.

Danise

« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2004, 12:44:38 PM »

Good afternoon all!

The wind is picking up and is bringing with it some extra cold weather.  According to the weather man, tomorrow night shall be the coldest one we’ve had so far.  

Needless to say, I am NOT looking forward to that.

My veggie/beef soup is cooking along in it’s pot.  The aroma of it is all through the house.  It does smell pretty good, even if I do say so myself.  

Not much else to say today except, I couldn't find white cotton but……

Underpants!!!!!!  

:) ;) :D ;D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 12:45:00 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2004, 12:53:00 PM »

No comments (except JMK's) on Renata Scott?

Well, there are two opera singers getting confused here, one an Italian tenor from the first half of the 20th Century whose surname was Scotti, and whose family may still run a wonderful Italian restaurant in Cincinnati, not far from the public library, I recall.

Then there's the great Renata Scotto, who's vibrato by the time she left the Met was wide enough to send several ships through it.  Miss Scotto is now directing opera, and she was known to be a diva, but my friend Neal Bickford never missed one of her performances at the Met.  We used to tease him about her failing vocal powers (her Christmas album was rather painful), but Neal adored her.  

When he was last hospitalized with AIDS, around the mid-1980s as I recall, Miss Scotto was notified through friends of friends that he was dying and she called him to send her love and regards.  He died a very happy man, thanks to her, and I will always value her kindness.  By the way, I think her recordings of TOSCA and MADAMA BUTTERFLY are second only to those of La Callas herself, and that's about as high as a diva can climb.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 12:56:06 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2004, 12:53:21 PM »

Yesterday, I believe Danise was asking about my Mushroom Chestnut gravy.  

I wasn't working from a recipe, just improvising.  I started with some butter in the saucepan, melted over medium heat,  to which I added some sliced mushrooms and chopped chestnuts.  (Some minced shallot would have been wonderful, but I was out of them.)  After the mushrooms were a little golden, I added a couple tablespoons of flour, and let the flour cook for a couple of minutes before adding a can of chicken broth.  I think I also added the greens from a bunch of scallions, and a dash of cayenne.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Then I just let it all simmer on low until everything else was ready.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2004, 12:56:16 PM »

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
[size=20]UNDERPANTS[/size]
[/move]

better to have 'em ride up than fall down, is what I say!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2004, 12:57:41 PM »

And health vibes to DR Elmore, to Jose's Dad, to Ann, and to everyone else who needs them.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size][/move]

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2004, 01:06:18 PM »

Well, there are two opera singers getting confused here, one an Italian tenor from the first half of the 20th Century whose surname was Scotti, and whose family may still run a wonderful Italian restaurant in Cincinnati, not far from the public library, I recall.

Then there's the great Renata Scotto, who's vibrato by the time she left the Met was wide enough to send several ships through it.  Miss Scotto is now directing opera, and she was known to be a diva, but my friend Neal Bickford never missed one of her performances at the Met.  We used to tease him about her failing vocal powers (her Christmas album was rather painful), but Neal adored her.  

When he was last hospitalized with AIDS, around the mid-1980s as I recall, Miss Scotto was notified through friends of friends that he was dying and she called him to send her love and regards.  He died a very happy man, thanks to her, and I will always value her kindness.  By the way, I think her recordings of TOSCA and MADAMA BUTTERFLY are second only to those of La Callas herself, and that's about as high as a diva can climb.

Hmmm.  I never took to Miss Scotto.  Neither her voice nor her omnipresent 5-inch high heels, regardless of the role she was playing.

The Butterflys of Miss Victoria de Los Angeles (recorded) and Miss Dorothy Kirsten (seen live--even at an age well beyond the character's fifteen years and, alas, unrecorded) would be the most memorable ones in my book.

As for Tosca, it is mighty tough getting past Miss Callas' much celebrated recording with Messrs. diStefano and Gobbi, but the one with Miss Zinka Milanov and Messrs. Jussi Bjoerling and Leonard Warren is pretty darn exciting.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2004, 01:09:54 PM »

Thank you, DRSWW!  I need the vibes and I need a prod to get me moving.  I have no desire to finish my shopping today.  I did order my brother and sister-in-law a gift online about an hour ago, so I'm not feeling entirely slothful.

I just saw that the Christopher Plummer CYRANO is coming out on CD in March, 2005, and that cheers me up a bit.  I like a lot of Michael Lewis' score, I love Leigh Beery - now Mrs Jonathan Tunick - and her definitive "You Have Made Me Love," and I like the orchestrations of Phillip Lang.  Good news indeed (a SWEENEY TODD reference).
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2004, 01:10:13 PM »

MMMMM, SWW!  Sounds wonderful.  I shall be sure to try it.  I copy/pasted your post to word doc.

Sometimes that's the best way to cook.  Not from any receipe.  It makes it hard to reproduce sometimes. I know it makes me mad when I ask Mom for her receipe for something and she says to use just a dash of this or a pinch of that.  How much is that exactly?

But I do the same thing.  

I'm sorry if I missed anyone needing vibes.  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2004, 01:12:51 PM »

Oh, meant to say, I bought some of those new microwave biscuits yesterday.  I saw the guy stocking them and decided to get some.  He said he didn’t know how they were but they kept flying off the shelf.  Sounds promising.

We’re going to try them tonight with the soup.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2004, 01:19:33 PM »

The Butterflys of Miss Victoria de Los Angeles (recorded) and Miss Dorothy Kirsten (seen live--even at an age well beyond the character's fifteen years and, alas, unrecorded) would be the most memorable ones in my book.

DRJay, here indeed is what makes horse racing!  I love Miss de los Angeles in the Glyndebourne-EMI  BARBER OF SEVILLE, and I think her Mimi and Manon are as definitive as Miss Callas' TOSCA, not to mention her CARMEN with Sir Thomas Beecham, a role I think Miss Callas did not do nearly so well.  My first recording of BUTTERFLY was excerpts of the de los Angeles EMI recording, but I prefer Miss Scotto and Miss Mirella Freni

Miss Kirsten is familiar from many broadcasts in the 1960s, and I hear she was a great Minnie in LA FANCIULLA DEL WEST, but her recorded legacy is poor, alas.

How was the Handel last evening?  How much did they do?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 01:20:55 PM by elmore3003 »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2004, 01:38:36 PM »

I agree Ryan's version of "Chinese Food in Bed" can't hold a candle to Guy Haines'. I can't imagine anyone else's ever matching it. The longing is missing. I'm wondering if a litle maturity would help the singer connect more with the sentiments of the song. Just a thought.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2004, 01:44:02 PM »

SOmeone here at HHW spilled the beans about THE MAD SHOW coming to CD in 2005 as well.

Matt H.

« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2004, 01:45:47 PM »

I laughed myself silly through IT'S A GIFT this afternoon. And the transfer was fine. No, not super sharp, but I didn't notice any artifacts to speak of, so Universal either found a very clean print or did some housekeeping on the film.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #109 on: December 19, 2004, 01:46:25 PM »

I'm trying NOT to think of it at all, DRMATTH...LOL

Thanks DRELMORE yes Renata Scotto is the "singer" I am thinking of.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #110 on: December 19, 2004, 01:47:30 PM »

Now I have a working camera, so here is the new automobile.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #111 on: December 19, 2004, 01:49:05 PM »

I think Bruce's has hit on one ofthe main problems with Chinese Food.  It had a tremedously tough act to follow.  A real show-stopper.  I wouldn't be sure how to fix it right off the top of my head, maybe go into another "What If" number before easing into that rather gentle song.

MBarnum

« Reply #112 on: December 19, 2004, 01:50:40 PM »

And, just because I could, here is the house directly across the street from me (where a most handsome man lives and mows his lawn with his shirt off!)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #113 on: December 19, 2004, 01:54:57 PM »

I just saw that the Christopher Plummer CYRANO is coming out on CD in March, 2005, and that cheers me up a bit.  I like a lot of Michael Lewis' score, I love Leigh Beery - now Mrs Jonathan Tunick - and her definitive "You Have Made Me Love," and I like the orchestrations of Phillip Lang.  Good news indeed (a SWEENEY TODD reference).
I'll ditto that!

Matt H.

« Reply #114 on: December 19, 2004, 02:05:19 PM »

I certainly disagree with the reviewers who thought it should be an entire evening of nothing but "What If's"? I enjoyed them all, but was always grateful that there were other numbers, both comic and poignant, on the bill. Made for a much more entertaining evening and left the audience wanting more of them instead of wearing out their welcome.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2004, 02:57:02 PM »

Before I forget, der B and I had a very fine time last night at the Toys for Tots collection party.  There was good food aplenty, and fine drinks.  Some people did show up without a toy, of course, but they paid a minimal fee to get in.  I noticed that several toy-bringers didn't limit themselves to one toy, but brought several, which is the whole idea, I think.

I also got to better know the sous chef at Cafe Zeus, Cliff, someone we'd met before but not well.  He's a very pleasant fellow, a former electrical engineer who went for a second degree as at a cooking school, and is happy with the change in career.  He did admit, however, that when he gets home after a night in the restaurant he's usually tired of cooking, so his Scott ends up with very simple food on his plate.  I'd probably feel the same way, so der B is lucky I'm not in that trade!   ::)

(Speaking of which, I've got a pork roast to get in the oven, before you-know-who starts getting that "feed me" look in his eyes!)

Danise

« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2004, 03:18:14 PM »

Ack!  I just lost my post.  I hate it when that happens.     :'(
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2004, 03:26:09 PM »

So, where was I?  For that matter where AM I?

Oh yes, I was going to say that I had just came from E-bay where I won the Deep Fry volume of the Cook n’ software.   I’m doing really well on that collection.  

I also told MBarnum that is a really pretty shade of blue for his new car.  Congrats, once again!  You must be really proud.  

DR Elmore, did you have snow today? You said it was gray looking.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2004, 03:28:53 PM »

Oh, and I also said that we had my veggie/beef soup.  It turned out really well.  The dogs are enjoying the bones as I type this.

The microwave biscuits were pretty good.  Not as good as from scratch but then, what do you expect?  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2004, 03:31:44 PM »

Brian Burney's favorite phrase:  "Talk to me."
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up