Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FINISHING IN THE REHEARSAL ROOM AND MOVING TO THE THEATRE  (Read 7056 times)

ChasSmith

Re: FINISHING IN THE REHEARSAL ROOM AND MOVING TO THE THEATRE
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2017, 05:06:45 AM »

A fine TOD.  Loving these posts, and how great to hear BK's first reactions to The Rake's Progress.

I discovered it in school and am probably single-handedly responsible for wearing out the library's copy of the first LP set.  And I have to agree with DR Elmore's assessment of the brothel scene.  That was instantly my favorite, musically, and isn't Jennie Tourel the one on the recording?  I shouldn't have to ask that.

By the time I started buying the Stravinsky LPs, you already couldn't find the first recording except in libraries and secondhand, and I didn't know from secondhand in those days.  (My bad.)  However, many years later I acquired a copy at a library sale or maybe a used record store for a song, and it's the very first issue, box-wise -- one of those 78rpm-sized boxes that the early Metropolitan Opera recordings and some others were issued in.  But But BUT -- its first owner had gotten a very nice inscription by none other than baritone Mack Harrell who means a lot to me (I also knew his son the cellist in those years), so this is really a treasure.

I also remember using the library's piano/vocal score a lot, but I guess I never acquired one of my own.  But I now have another treasure, thanks to our DR Elmore -- a beautiful little hardbound full score from the former library of Mr. John McGlinn.  Thank you again for that, DR Elmore.

ChasSmith

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2017, 05:09:38 AM »

A fine description by DR Elmore, one that bears repeating:

"The score, which is sorta like hearing Mozart, Gluck, Bellini through a funhouse mirror, is simply glorious."

ChasSmith

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2017, 05:29:08 AM »

(No, you idiot (talking to myself here), Blanche Thebom is on the recording.)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2017, 05:30:26 AM »

A fine description by DR Elmore, one that bears repeating:

"The score, which is sorta like hearing Mozart, Gluck, Bellini through a funhouse mirror, is simply glorious."

I should have added, too, how funny much of it is: witty libretto by W.H. Auden and Chester Kalman and a sardonic yet moving score by Igor.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2017, 05:35:08 AM »

Jennie Tourel is on the Venice premiere with Robert Roundsville and Elizabeth Schwarzkopf.  Blanche is on the Met recording with Hilde Gueden and Mack Harrell.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2017, 05:36:25 AM »

Jennie Tourel is on the Venice premiere with Robert Roundsville and Elizabeth Schwarzkopf.  Blanche is on the Met recording with Hilde Gueden and Mack Harrell.

Right!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2017, 05:56:03 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2017, 05:59:45 AM »

TOD

The Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny
Sweeney Todd
Einstein on the Beach
Nixon in China
Show Boat
Evita
Madame Butterfly
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2017, 06:16:39 AM »

TOD

The Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny
Sweeney Todd
Einstein on the Beach
Nixon in China
Show Boat
Evita
Madame Butterfly

I never remember which Puccini operas are 19th and 20th century operas!

ChasSmith

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2017, 06:20:07 AM »

I have trouble with that kind of thing, too.

I might be the only one here, but Strauss's Salome and Elektra.  And based on what I've heard, and much to my surprise, I'd be interested in getting into Schoenberg's Moses und Aron. 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2017, 06:20:56 AM »

I also admit I'm snobby: I do not consider operettas and musicals, even though opera houses now stage them, opera.  When "rock opera" composers prove to me they understand what opera and composition are, then I might consider them opera composers. 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2017, 06:24:26 AM »

I have trouble with that kind of thing, too.

I might be the only one here, but Strauss's Salome and Elektra.  And based on what I've heard, and much to my surprise, I'd be interested in getting into Schoenberg's Moses und Aron. 

I have the same problem with Strauss that I do with Wagner: too damned long.  I like Ariadne auf Naxos and a lot of Salome but I find Elektra an ordeal, and Der Rosenkavalier endless.  I tend to jump in German opera from Beethoven to Kurt Weill.

The playwright von Hoffmansthal's much of the problem.  His condescending letters to Strauss - I'm the writer and a genius and you are a moron, Strauss, who knows nothing of high art - are such drivel.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 06:43:21 AM by elmore3003 »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2017, 07:12:20 AM »

How's everyoe feeling today?  Nursie? Keith? vixmom? TCB?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  Continued Mega-Health Vibes to the DRs!  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for asking DR elmore.  Keith didn't wake me last night so I expect he is no worse than at bedtime.  I am still in bed and haven't asked him yet.  I am still in a state of concern.

Jane

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2017, 07:13:22 AM »

I've been awake since around 5:30, and High Anxiety is settling in.  My love for travel has long passed me by, and I hope this trip goes smoothly.

Super vibes for easy, smooth travels.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2017, 07:17:12 AM »

I've been awake since around 5:30, and High Anxiety is settling in.  My love for travel has long passed me by, and I hope this trip goes smoothly.

Super vibes for easy, smooth travels.

Thanks!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2017, 07:17:53 AM »

DR Ginny, I've been getting more RSVPs.  I think we're competing with the Miami U Alumni Weekend.

FJL

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2017, 07:25:26 AM »

Been a busy weekend.  I'll have to catch up when there's time, but I've missed a lot of posts, it seems.

Ginny

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2017, 08:26:43 AM »

Monday morning greetings!

DR Ginny, I've been getting more RSVPs.  I think we're competing with the Miami U Alumni Weekend.

Yes, DR Elmore, and there are lots of other things going on this weekend.  But I think we'll have a nice crowd and I'm looking forward to it!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2017, 08:32:50 AM »

I don't read my horoscope in the newspaper every day, but today's really spoke to me with regard to the situation with my mother:

"You can choose not to spend time with someone without giving up on him or her.  Hope for the best outcome for the person, and send love and a good thought that way.  Then do what's best for you."

As her power of attorney, I do have more of an obligation than love and good thoughts, but this goes along with the Facebook meme I saw that said, "You don't have to set yourself on fire to keep someone else warm."
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2017, 08:41:51 AM »

It is sad Ginny.  Your true mother, the one you have lost, would want you to take care of your physical and emotional health.  Finding the right balance is difficult.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2017, 08:54:02 AM »

Morning, everyone!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2017, 09:16:18 AM »

I don't read my horoscope in the newspaper every day, but today's really spoke to me with regard to the situation with my mother:

"You can choose not to spend time with someone without giving up on him or her.  Hope for the best outcome for the person, and send love and a good thought that way.  Then do what's best for you."

As her power of attorney, I do have more of an obligation than love and good thoughts, but this goes along with the Facebook meme I saw that said, "You don't have to set yourself on fire to keep someone else warm."

Amen.  The Macbeths made my 2006 hell laying guilt on me for not being in Ohio enough to take care of my dad.  Much as I miss him, I'm glad he went when he did.  I was lucky, DR Ginny; I wish your situation were easier.

John G.

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2017, 09:24:02 AM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz7SfkhJe74

To go with today's opera discussion. From castrecl.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2017, 09:26:04 AM »

Thank you, DRs Jane and Elmore, for the kind words.  This is, by far, the most difficult thing I've ever experienced - including pregnancy loss and the death of my father.  Thank goodness for things to look forward to, like Saturday's party!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2017, 09:40:35 AM »

All this opera talk.....yes.....when it comes to culture, we're the first hogs to the trough.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2017, 09:41:41 AM »

Going to get drawn on today in anticipation of my upcoming radiation treatments.....I imagine I will look like a Picasso by the time I get back.  Also getting an MRI and C Scan - not sure which......
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

FJL

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2017, 09:57:41 AM »

Going to get drawn on today in anticipation of my upcoming radiation treatments.....I imagine I will look like a Picasso by the time I get back.  Also getting an MRI and C Scan - not sure which......

More hugs and love to you, Jrand.

Jane

« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2017, 10:07:41 AM »

Hugs to you DR Ginny and enjoy the party.

Jane

« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2017, 10:09:41 AM »

DR Jrand I hope you don't look too much like a Picasso and that the test today is fairly easy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2017, 10:14:14 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - maybe seven and a half hours of sleep, but good sleep.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up