Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DENSE NOTES  (Read 24218 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE DENSE NOTES
« Reply #180 on: December 21, 2004, 09:18:33 PM »

WARNING TO WEST COAST POSTERS CONTEMPLATING WATCHING THE KENNEDY AWARDS:

When Renee Fleming comes on stage, lock up the animals, hit the mute botton, and take a trip to the john (loo, not Elton)! The most excruciating painful performance of a wretchedly arranged "Over The Rainbow" has never before been heard! (No, my name is not Cora!)

But do come back for Fantasia, who is delightful, and Heather Hedley who does a blow your socks off fantastic rendition of "Your Song" - which has a brilliant arrangement (Larry, were you there?).

der Brucer

I've always wished the Kennedy Center would make the tapes of the full evening of The Kennedy Center Honors available for public viewing somewhere.  It's amazing what gets edited out for the TV broadcast - both good and bad.  There have been years where the order of the presentations was changed for TV.  And there have also been times when they've had to re-record a segment after the ceremony proper due to some technical glitch - and I have to say the CBS engineers and editors do a pretty damn good job of making it look seamless.  At least the Washington Post still does a nice play-by-play of the ceremony and the dinner beforehand the day after the event.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #181 on: December 21, 2004, 09:31:57 PM »

YOU ASKED FOR IT:

Biography:
Bruce Kimmel has had a long and varied career. He wrote, directed and starred in the cult movie hit, The First Nudie Musical. He performed those same duties on his second film The Creature Wasn't Nice (a.k.a. Naked Space), with Leslie Nielsen, Cindy Williams and Patrick Macnee. He also co-created the story for the hit film, The Faculty, directed by Robert Rodriguez.

COMMENT: In the second sentence you set off “The First Nudie Musical” with a comma;  in the thirs sentence, you do not set off  “The Creature Wasn’t Nice” with a comma. I would prefer a comma before “the Creature….”.

In the second sentence, I would prefer the alternate spelling of the word "thirs" - "third".   :o ;D :P

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: December 21, 2004, 09:34:09 PM »

I excoriate and exfoliate all of those who've read Writer's Block to post a RAVE review at amazon if you haven't.  And if you don't heed my excoriation and exfoliation I shall turn you over to Cora, who will excommunicate you.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #183 on: December 21, 2004, 09:34:35 PM »

We should all go to the amazon site and vote no that the review was not helpful
Done-I was the 10th person. :)

I went to amazon.com to vote that I didn't find that particular review helpful, but I noticed that ALL of them had some no votes.  WFO's, Michael Shayne's and JRand's reviews say "3 of 8 people found the following review helpful."  That means 5 people didn't.  Only "4 of 9 people" found Larry Moore's review helpful.  I voted "yes" on the ones that I agreed with. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #184 on: December 21, 2004, 09:41:17 PM »

I've never seen any roses having male name. It's interesting.

Our rose catalogues are filled with gentleman roses:

John F. Kennedy

Ronald Reagan

to name but a few.

der Brucer (who does not have a rose named for him, YET)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #185 on: December 21, 2004, 09:44:16 PM »

In the second sentence, I would prefer the alternate spelling of the word "thirs" - "third".   :o ;D :P

Just you wait, Brucie Kimmel, just you wait! >:(
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #186 on: December 21, 2004, 09:50:01 PM »

I've always wished the Kennedy Center would make the tapes of the full evening of The Kennedy Center Honors available for public viewing somewhere.  

Maybe they'll release Kennedy Center's Lost Treasures.

I know what you mean, though.  Many of these programs contained musical tributes that were quite stirring.  I enjoyed tonight's program very much (even Renee Fleming's off-kilter "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"--sorry, DR Derbrucer.)

It was strange watching the Kennedy Center Honors before Christmas.  They're usually broadcast between Chrismas Day and New Year's Eve.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #187 on: December 21, 2004, 09:51:42 PM »

The name Cora immediately makes me think of Margaret Hamilton.  I'ld like to keep it that way.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

George

« Reply #188 on: December 21, 2004, 09:59:33 PM »

My housemate has gone to bed!  I'm going to watch "What If?" now!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #189 on: December 21, 2004, 09:59:52 PM »

Good night all!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #190 on: December 21, 2004, 10:08:57 PM »

DRJOSE that would be wonderful.  Would love to meet you in person and do a dinner or two.   Hmmmmmmmmm.....what show?  Hmm....MILLIE?

Surprisingly enough- Clowes Hall - it is announced Clews.....as in the game!  Family name.  

Hmmm...  I was about to "guess" that it was pronounced that way.  There is a long line of "Chowning's" in Virginia - and the name is pronounced "chew-ning"  When I worked in the music store, one of my regular customers was a Chowning, and it was always sort of fun to hear one of the other clerks call her at home when an order came in...

"Hello, is Ms. Chow-ning there?... No?... Well, is this ###-####... Oh, OK.  Well, the number must have been written down wrong...  Oh, you pronounce it how?"

Apparently, it's a declination of "Chouning" pronounced a la francaise.  And there are still some Chounings too.

;)

Did that make sense?
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #191 on: December 21, 2004, 10:12:48 PM »

I've been very good this year while Christmas shopping with not buying things for myself, but today in Tower Records, I picked up The Snowman on DVD.  This is another animated holiday film that I love.  If it weren't so late here right now, I'ld put it on and watch it.

Oh, what the heck--it's Christmas and I don't have to go to work tomorrow!  I'm going to watch it now!

'night!
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #192 on: December 21, 2004, 10:16:14 PM »

LOL derBrucer.  A laugh I needed at this moment.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #193 on: December 21, 2004, 10:17:11 PM »

DRJOSE not much in the way of fine dining in Indy....and Clowes is on the Butler Campus with not much within walking distance.  Usually I see a bus transporting the cast from the venue to the hotel downtown.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #194 on: December 21, 2004, 10:24:56 PM »

LOL seems like a total 5 people found all of our reviews unhelpful.  Wonder if it's the same five?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #195 on: December 21, 2004, 10:25:03 PM »

DRJOSE not much in the way of fine dining in Indy....and Clowes is on the Butler Campus with not much within walking distance.  Usually I see a bus transporting the cast from the venue to the hotel downtown.

There are couple of places outside of Indianapolis I've heard about - true hole in the wall type places.  We shall see...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #196 on: December 21, 2004, 10:27:10 PM »

I've been very good this year while Christmas shopping with not buying things for myself, but today in Tower Records, I picked up The Snowman on DVD.  This is another animated holiday film that I love.  If it weren't so late here right now, I'ld put it on and watch it.

Oh, what the heck--it's Christmas and I don't have to go to work tomorrow!  I'm going to watch it now!

'night!

Ohhhh...one of my favorite holiday movies!  The animation is superb, as is the score.  And the song...my father did an arrangement of it that I sang at a holiday concert in high school...piano, violin, and flute, as I recall...just beautiful.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #197 on: December 21, 2004, 10:28:59 PM »

Well, I take over for the "night nurse" - a.k.a. my Mom - when she leaves for work in the morning, so...

*Although, I can hear my Dad walking around downstairs.. and humming and singing...  Oh, please don't let it be the karaoke again!?!?!?!

Well... Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #198 on: December 21, 2004, 10:33:36 PM »

...Ah, well... It's the karaoke machine...  And with the way this house is laid out, the "echo" sounds kind of spooky - just "blended out" enough to be on the verge of being unintelligible...

:-/
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #199 on: December 21, 2004, 10:36:28 PM »

Jrand, it's probably the same people who found Cora's "review" helpful.  I think you can see the game that's being played.  This too shall pass and hopefully we can all have a perfectly pleasant Christmas season.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #200 on: December 21, 2004, 10:39:54 PM »

Maybe. We. Will.

George

« Reply #201 on: December 21, 2004, 11:58:48 PM »

I LOVED "WHAT IF?" THE REVUE!!  I just watched it all the way through (with only one break to go to the bathroom...sorry, I didn't prepare).  Anyway, I loved the quiter, more serious songs in amongst all the hilarity, which was quite hilarious.  And as for the mugging in the one particular song...never having seen it performed before, I didn't think it was excessive, except for the last beat and the vocalization on it.  I thought that that did not fit at all.  But the rest of that song was not bad.  And the whole show was quite delightful.  So, BK, when's the CD coming out?? ;D
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up