Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THAT CHRISTMAS THING  (Read 27539 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THAT CHRISTMAS THING
« on: December 25, 2004, 12:00:17 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're filled with holiday happiness, and now it is time for you to post until the Christmas cows come home.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 12:04:44 AM by bk »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THAT CHRISTMAS THING
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2004, 12:06:24 AM »

What fun was had by all.

-2 degrees F here....Holly refuses to go out....and I can't blame her.

Not quite sure what Sandy Claws brought, but we shall soon know.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2004, 12:07:53 AM »

What exciting news!

I watched AGAIN DRCP's THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES....what a fun vresion it is.  Not as exciting as the party, but fun...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2004, 12:08:04 AM »

Dear reader Jose asked that the group photo posted late last night be identified: The front row, left to right - Barbara Deutsch, her son Sam Lembeck, and Sam's girlfriend, Natalie.

Middle row, left to right - Kevin Spirtas, his pal Mark, and my fiance, Rachel.

Back row, left to right - Panni, Jay, and my new pal Barbara Cutler.  

By the time we took the photo, most of the other guests had departed.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2004, 12:08:48 AM »

Welcome seven GUESTS.  And a merry Christmas to each and every one of you.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2004, 12:11:14 AM »

Just got home to my sister's house - long night for me! But i had to come aboard and say what a lovely evening I had with all and sundry HHW folk at the BK manse. Oy, the desserts! And Noel and Joy from NYC were there - Noel and Joy... Charles Pogue remarked on their fortuitous names for attending such a gathering on such a Christmas eve type night. Mrs. Pogue and I  had not noticed said fortuitous combination of names. Noel, Noel. Joy to the World. Joy had apparently just come from playing Mrs. Claus in a Christmas extravaganza in Branson MO. They brought pix - oh, do I covet that costume!!! Anna and the DD were there, lovely to talk to them. And Jay, and more swell people whose names have gone right out of my head as I contemplate dragging my tired you-know-what upstairs to bed.

So nice to see and talk to each other - and to watch the most hilarious trailers from bogus films of many genres, that BK seems to have filmed for a pittance... that man can make a forty dollar film look like a hundred bucks!!

then I scooted off to yet-another gathering nearby, to eat from the long-anticipated cheese assortment. Now I am just too stuffed to lie down, but lie down I must. <yawwwnnnn...>

So, I hope Santa will be good to y'all. Sleep well and dream sweet dreams.
PennyO

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2004, 12:14:00 AM »

So far, Santa has been represented by my Dad and StepMom at our house.

They sent me a new pullover sweater, a cookie cookbook, and a compass.

They sent der B a new shirt, and a flashlight.

They're always sending him flashlights, and we've never figured out why.

Time to wussburger, as we've got final prep to do for Christmas with der B's family tomorrow.  
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2004, 12:14:08 AM »

Of course Noel and Joy - they left early, but it was grand having them here.  

Welcome eight GUESTS and one HIDDEN.  We wish you all a very merry Christmas, even if the HIDDEN is our friend CoRA, with an emphasis on the latter.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2004, 12:17:48 AM »

Welcome ten GUESTS.  Our HIDDEN seems to have disappeared.  We're talkin' about Christmas.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2004, 12:18:13 AM »

I am my own frenzy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2004, 12:18:24 AM »

Dear reader Jose asked that the group photo posted late last night be identified: The front row, left to right - Barbara Deutsch, her son Sam Lembeck, and Sam's girlfriend, Natalie.

Middle row, left to right - Kevin Spirtas, his pal Mark, and my fiance, Rachel.

Back row, left to right - Panni, Jay, and my new pal Barbara Cutler.  

By the time we took the photo, most of the other guests had departed.

Any relation to Harvey?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2004, 12:19:19 AM »

Yes, Harvey's grandson, Michael's son.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2004, 12:22:21 AM »

Well, I'm off to bed. Santa has a few presents for this Jewsih girl, so the sooner I get to sleep, the sooner I get to open them.
Merry Christmas to all!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2004, 12:27:50 AM »

We'll stay all night and we'll sing 'em all.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2004, 12:34:50 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm about to head to bed... "Sister Act" was on earlier on HBO-Family, and now "Chicago" is on Starz!... The power of cable TV...

Once again, a very Merry Christmas to everyone!

As for what Santa brought me... Well, the package he dropped off for me at Steve's consisted of a very nice ceramic condiment serving set - three small olive oil plates, three olive bowls, and one long tray to hold the aforementioned plates and bowls.  Everything nests together, if so desired.

The package that Santa left for me under my roommate's tree consisted of two blue/aqua-green soy sauce "dippers", and a sushi making kit - bamboo mats, rice paddle, etc.  -Unfortunately, Santa must have left the package that I was supposed to give to my roommate on the sleigh.  Hopefully, once he has more time next week, he'll be able to remedy said situation.  ;)

Once I get back up to Fairfax tomorrow, I shall find out what Santa has left for me up there.  I have a feeling, like DR George, I may be getting some socks via my parents. ;)

Of course, the best gifts of the season have already been delivered... My father had a very successful surgery, and is recuperating nicely at home - and building up his karaoke repertoire in the meantime!  Hmm... ;)  My Mom is in good health.  My brother, Don, and his daughter, Alexandra, are in good health.  My brother, Mike, and his wife, Veronica, and his children, John Michael and Alyssa are in good health.  And my brother, Jay, is in good health - and will be - ssshhhh - surprising my Dad with a visit home next week.

Oh, and I'm in good health too, and have been fortunate to experience some new things this year.  To go to new places and meet new people this year.  To make some new friends this year.  And to deepen the relationships with many of my other friends.

Merry Christmas!
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2004, 12:45:59 AM »

I actually posted this last night, long before BK announced today's Topic of the Day, so here it is again (just to make it official):
I'm back from my parents' house and a good time was had by all!  My mom and dad, my niece, my sister and her boyfriend were all there.  We all got gifts and no one got much more than anyone else.  I got CA$H!! as well as a gift card for Circuit City! and a NEW MOTHERBOARD FOR MY COMPUTER!!  I don't know about a fatherboard, unless the father got bored and took a hike. ::) I also got some socks from my parents.  I never would have thought to ask for socks, but they're certainly wanted.  You can never have too many socks.  At least, I'm not anywhere near having too many socks!

I also got a CD from my aunt, who is a nun.  It's a compilation CD of Christian rock music.  I don't listen to Christian rock music.  I don't have anything against Christian rock music, per se, but I am not a "believer," so I'm not going to be a "listener."  I will dutifully thank her for her thoughtfulness, of course, and it was very thoughtful.  Just not what I'm interested in.

And on that note (E-flat), I'm leaving the wonderful world of HHW so that I may sleep until I wake up.  Good night all!  AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2004, 12:50:52 AM »

OK... "Chicago" just ended...

NOW I'm going to bed...  Hopefully, I won't sleep in too much tomorrow - I don't "need" to head back up to Fairfax until around Noon, but I want to make a few stops locally just to wish, "Merry, Merry" to a few friends.

OH!  And one of my dearest friends from my high school days, Rachel - we actually met in the pit of a pretty decent production of COMPANY, she played violin - sent me her annual Christmas card and letter.  Well...  Well, it turns out she's had quite a busy year too.  She started a new job, and she had a baby girl!  Olivia!  And she was just born at the end of November.  She was about a month premature, but she's doing well.  And this is Rachel's second girl - Madeleine Rose now has a baby sister.  Funny thing is that if she was born "on time", she would have been a Christmas season baby just like her mom - and most of her mom's family!  -Must be something genetic, I guess by this point!  In any case...  I'm hoping I can swing by her place back up in Arlington too sometime tomorrow.  -I've seen her husband more than I've seen her in the past few years since he's a pretty good baritone and occasional sings with the Washington National Opera - we always seem to end up eating in the canteen at the same time...

OK... I'm starting to ramble.... OH!!!  And it also looks like I'm cooking Christmas dinner tomorrow night too!

And, once again...

Goodnight.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2004, 12:54:41 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2004, 01:28:33 AM »

I am up way too early to know what I got this Christmas day. The presents are all at my friends house.

Why am I up so early?

I am not even tired.

Maybe I will do some writing and eat krispy kreme donuts

Merry Christmas to all.

Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2004, 01:36:53 AM »

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL

Boxing Day here - more visiting with friends and more jolly times.  Monday is a Birthday celebration for a close friend.  It is certainly party time in OZ.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2004, 01:41:29 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2004, 03:03:48 AM »

Merry Christmas Today!   ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2004, 03:04:32 AM »

And on a less traditional note  :o

td

• td
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2004, 05:21:54 AM »

MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY BOWLING DAY, too!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2004, 05:58:00 AM »

Lovely pictures, DR Panni and DR BK!
I wish I could have been there… Your famous spaghetti sauce looks so delicious, BK. Could you show us any Parisienne Cake’s photo as well? I really am interested in how Parisienne Cake looks, as you BK always are devoted to that cake.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2004, 06:15:08 AM »

The presents have all been wrapped with care.  The dogs all made sure we were up in time to get that chore done.  I did have a problem at one point, when Fletcher decided he wanted to sit in my lap while I was wrapping one of the gifts.  Have you ever tried to wrap a present while a dog sat in your lap?  Have you ever tried to wrap a present while a Dalmatian tried to sit in your lap?  He was very sulky when I refused to let him stay, and pushed him off.   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2004, 06:40:36 AM »

Merry Christmas everyone!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2004, 06:40:50 AM »

No time to read the notes or today's posts. I am expected at a Christmas breakfast at 10, and I have 20 minutes to get going and get there.

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed the party photos, and I hope we will be introduced to that lovely group of folks to know who's who. Of course, some people need no introduction - DRs Panni and Jay as well as Panni's DD, but some others weren't familiar to me, so a little help would be appreciated.

Also wanted to say MERRY CHRISTMAS once again and look forward to reading today's notes and posts when I return.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2004, 06:48:53 AM »

The potato salad is made.  The cloved ham is in the oven; I shall glazed it later.  Baked beans will be baking in about an hour (Hawaiian style, natch).  A certain DR will be happy to hear that I am listening to Michael Ball's CHRISTMAS as I bake.  Ah!  Mum baked sweet bread and rolls yesterday.

Meanwhile, I went on opening night to see PHANTOM OF THE OPERA.  This is what I thought of it:  The film is simply one of the finest two hours and twenty minutes I have spent in a theater. Cinematically speaking, this is one of the greatest stage-to-screen adaptations ever lensed. From a film perspective, there is not a single moment which doesn't work. My own quibble with the film itself is the Phantom's make-up. The romantic leads, Emmy Rossum and Patrick Wilson are simply heavenly together and Minnie Driver's diva Carlotta is spot-on, bringing out the person beneath the histrionics. Butler is charming and frightening. as well as fascintingly mesmerizing even if the character is still written as a self-centered stalker. The Phantom's backstory with its shades of THE ELEPHANT MAN makes sense for this film.
A perfectly cast, beautifully realized film.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2004, 07:05:55 AM »

Re:TWELVE DRUMMERS SITTING AROUND IN THE NUDE AND PLAYING A XYLOPHONE
« Reply #228 on: Yesterday at 11:31:49pm »    
------------------------------------------------------------------------
And for those who've forgotten, here is a photograph of our lovely Hisaka - I would have made a stunning announcement that she and I were to be married if she hadn't just told me she WAS married.

Why didn’t you propose to me before I got married ?
If you’d done so, I’d have Judaized like Charlotte in S&TC.

good night.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2004, 07:16:48 AM »

Merry Christmas, all!  I'm dragging myself around the apartment and organizing my thoughts.  My day shall be spent with my dear friends Ron and Dona Raines and my wonderful goddaughter Charlotte.  I have to pull some DVDs Charlotte wants to borrow and I have to wrap a few gifts.  Right now I'm listening to Appalachian balladeer Jean Ritchie sing folk carols with recorder and guitar.  She just sang a carol I've never heard before, "There was a pig went out to dig."

I've already received my Father's Christmas present, which was a lot of money around a month ago.  My two brothers usually send checks, so I've got their cards to open today, and there's a package here from my dear friend Loyce Martin, a wonderful soprano, who worked with me a lot (as did DRGinny) when I was doing community theatre in Ohio, long time ago.

Dear Friend BK, the CD is now Perry como, and he just sang on his Christmas album "Love In a Home" from one of your favorite musicals.  Great timing!

Along with my Father's early Christmas gifts, I've had several other wonderful Christmas gifts this year.  I feel like an Oscar Winner here, and I hope I don't forget to mention someone or something:
  1.  I survived six monrhs of poor health, and I have a network of great and loving friends in New York, not to mention the HHW support, and all over.
  2.  Dear Friend BK came to New York, and we spent some time together for the first time in a long time.
  3.  This site introduced me to some wonderful folk all over the world, many of whom have become friends whose thoughts and opinions I find interesting.  Jane, PennyO, Panni, Danise, Michael Barnum, Jay, Ben and Baxter, Jose, td, Noel, Elan,  S Woody White and Der Brucer are all folk I've now met personally through New York visits or the telephone, and I look forward to forming closer friendships with other DRs at HHW.
  4.  I work on a recording/musical theatre project with great friends:  the Library of Congress group (Loras Schissel, Mark Horowitz, and Ray White), the New York group (Curtis Moore, Matthew Brookshire), our musical prep/editorial group (Peter Foley, Skip Kennon, Tom Murray), the advisory group (Russell Warner, Bill Hicks, Robert Kimball, Miles Kreuger, Betty Auman, David Packard).  A day with any of these folk is a holiday.
  5.  I had only two arranging jobs I disliked this year, and a lot of fun ones:  the Mickey/Judy show for Jeff Harnar and Shauna Hicks was great fun and I thank God for bringing impressario Matthew Inge into my circle of friends; I thank Michael O'Flaherty, Michael Price and the Goodspeed staff, and tony Walton for giving me WHERE'S CHARLEY?, Joseph Weis and Erik Haagensen for asking me to do DARLING OF THE DAY, Tommy Krasker and Aaron Gandy for FINE AND DANDY.

I'm very lucky, and I need to remind myself of that occasionally.  Thanks for the occasion!  

I have to call my Father and wrap some gifts.  Ta!    
« Last Edit: December 25, 2004, 07:19:06 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2004, 07:39:56 AM »

Good morning.  I can't believe I'm up this early, but I think I should not have had that extra bit of spaghetti before bed.  But, up I am.  I've already opened one present, and it was actually a belated birthday gift from the Pogues - a nifty baseball hat from the actual Globe Theater.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up