Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THAT CHRISTMAS THING  (Read 28218 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re:THAT CHRISTMAS THING
« Reply #120 on: December 25, 2004, 06:25:43 PM »

I did Amazon, too.  I don't think it's any of the "usual suspects".  I thought it might be Singers Unlimited, but it wasn't their version.  It's very modern, lots of changing time signatures, with a beautiful soprano wordless obligato that keeps rising up out of the lyric.  I will be calling the station nonstop until I finally get someone on the phone!  I am relentless.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #121 on: December 25, 2004, 06:36:19 PM »

-I had to aid Santa getting into his get-up so he would not pull out some of his stitches...

He'll be donning the red & white again once the grandchildren get here... Let's see if Alyssa screams at Santa again this year. -She's been scared of Jolly Ole St. Nick since she was a two-month old!  Which was sort of funny last year when my brother wanted to get pics of her with Santa at the Mall... It's sort of a sad picture... but in a funny-sad way.  ;)

-Well, at least I know that I am not the only adult she's scared of.

Gee, Jose, she is afraid of a big fat bearded old man in a fur-trimmed red suit; and you.  I am not sure there is much comfort to be taken in that.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JMK

« Reply #122 on: December 25, 2004, 06:37:29 PM »

Bruce, I just referred a questioner over on RATM to you.  He's trying to track down Diana Canova for a book he's writing.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

td

• td
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JMK

« Reply #124 on: December 25, 2004, 07:03:33 PM »

TD, yes, see the previous page--I had started with All Music, but, here's the great news:

[size=8]I FOUND IT!![/size]

I don't want to say that G-d, who obviously has better things to do, helped me find it, but it was a complete surfing stumble that led me to it.  It's evidently a 3 person group (amazing, they must be overdubbed 10 times, which is part of what was misleading me), no longer in existence, called First Call.  Here's a Real Audio version of Caroling, Caroling.  Prepare to be transported:

http://206.180.232.42/clips/ram/3350c1.ram

This is my little Christmas present to you all.  It is truly one of the most stunning versions of this song I've ever heard.

td

• td
« Reply #125 on: December 25, 2004, 07:25:55 PM »

You don't have to say it was G-d, I usually attribute such "finds" to St. Anthony - he of the lost things department.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ginny

« Reply #126 on: December 25, 2004, 07:30:47 PM »

Merry Christmas Day to All!  Our low-key family festivities have ended and it was a lovely day.  The best thing Santa brought to our house was  the snowplow!  When we went to bed last night our street still had not been cleared, but when I was up at 5am to do some Santa-ing it had been.  "Clear" means that there are now two huge piles of snow on either side of the street and DSRob had to do away with the one at the end of our driveway before we could pick up my 86-year-old mother for our Christmas celebration.

The snowstorm altered our menu plans somewhat when we were not able to get the Honey Baked Ham I'd ordered.  I had a pork roast in the freezer, so that was our main course, accompanied by cheesy potatoes, green beans, and jello salad.  Dessert was peppermint ice cream and a tray of cookies like I took (virtually-speaking) to bk's Christmas Eve do.  BTW, loved the photos DRPanni - thanks for posting them.

Presents:  My husband and son gave me a Crosley 4-in-1 audio player - CD, cassette, radio, and records.  Now I can listen to LP's that I haven't heard in more than 10 years; they even individually wrapped a few of my albums for me to unwrap this morning.  Tomorrow I will bring the entire collection back up from the basement and try to attach the external speakers that I still have from my former stereo.  

Some of my other favorite presents were ones I gave - tickets for my DH and myself to celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary at the Cincinnati Pops on Jan. 16 (guest artist=Kristen Chenoweth) and tickets for DH, my mom, and myself to see  The Producers on May 1 at the Schuster Center, the new performing arts center in downtown Dayton.  My mom was so excited seeing the I Wanna be a Producer number on the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade broadcast - that told me exactly what to get her for Christmas.

It's been a busy few days with all the holiday preparations and the snowstorm, so I'm looking forward to a week of relaxation.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #127 on: December 25, 2004, 07:45:29 PM »

Sorry for another quick check in, but I am really tired and will be going to bed early. Some of my favorite Christmas presents were Sweeney Todd On DVD (The one released in April), Broadway: The American Musical, and Meet Me in St. Louis. I may get a cast recording or two with my leftover Christmas money.  I am having trouble deciding between Last Five Years, Parade, and Elegies.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2004, 07:47:01 PM by Joey »
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #128 on: December 25, 2004, 07:53:54 PM »

Good evening all!

Well I am back from my day of driving around the state.  I started this morning in a rather dubious way...I fell out of bed.  I woke with quite a start at about 6 am, so it was still dark.  I reached over to turn on the bedside lamp, and I must have reached with a bit too much enthusiasum, because the next thing I knew, I was tumbling down onto the hardwood floor.  Most of me was unhurt, but I really banged my face on the wooden table that serves as a nightstand, so now I have a rather pretty little bruise on my right cheek and the bone underneath is rather sore.  

But I recovered, and we headed over the rainy mountains to see my sister, then on to my uncle's for dinner.  It was good to see my family, although I worry about my cousin.  She's almost exactly my age...born two weeks after me, but she's been battling certain psychological problems almost her whole life...doing better now, but still has major issues with self image.  

Presents-wise, it was a light year for me.  The biggest gift I got was from my employers, about $180 in gift cards to various stores.  My parents bought me the DVD of the Broadway special that aired on PBS a few months ago.  A nice gift, to be sure.  And that was it, present-wise.

Now I am relaxing, watching White Christmas, and thinking about a light dinner...

Michael

« Reply #129 on: December 25, 2004, 08:17:57 PM »

I am home from from my friends home where I spent a quiet christmas. Received some from wonderful gifts. I received the dvds of Mary Poppins 40th Anniversary edition, The Princess Diaries 2, Season 1 of The Golden Girls. As a stocking stuffer there was a public domain 1935 version of A Christmas Carol called Scrooge with Seymour Hicks. It is the edited American version. I also received two over size coffee table books.  The 101 Greatest Broadway Musicals and the History Of The Academy Awards (The one with the envelop on the cover.) It was a very nice day.
Never stop dreaming.

MBarnum

« Reply #130 on: December 25, 2004, 08:31:42 PM »

Back home from Christmas at my sisters! It was great fun and I am stuffed with prime rib, which I have now had two nights in a row! Which is a good thing!!

Presents...hmm...everything is in a big bag, but I do recall that I got two DVDs...one of MR. AND MRS. NORTH TV shows that I don't think I have seen yet,  and with episodes of THE BETTY WHITE SHOW...which, if you have never seen this sitcom, is about the same as getting a lump of coal! LOL!

I also got some assorted framed family photos and other wonderful odds and ends!

Now I am beat!

MBarnum

« Reply #131 on: December 25, 2004, 08:36:23 PM »

Oh, the most enjoyable part about today is that I spent a lot of time with my grand-neice Taylor, who just adores her Uncle Mike!! We watched some Gumby short subjects read many, many books together!!! But the most fantastic thing, I thought, was that when I flipped on the TV to see if there were any Christmas specials on I happened to stop for a moment on PBS and they were showing a ballet of THE NUTCRACKER!

Well, Taylor couldn't take her eyes off of it! She is only 2 and 1/2 years old but she was absolutely fascinated by this ballet and we ended up watching the whole thing together!!!

Then she wanted to watch it again...I had to try and explain that it wasn't a DVD and we could not watch it again...but she didn't quite understand! LOL!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #132 on: December 25, 2004, 08:37:18 PM »

Good Evening!

-I'm still full!  Although, I did somehow manage to finish off a small piece of the chocolate fudge pecan pie along with a small scoop of ice cream.

:-X

As for the rest of the gift-giving this evening, my brother, Don, gave me - and my other brothers - a shaving set, that new Gillette disposable that "micro-pulses" for a closer shave, plus an envelope with some cash in it.

And much to the surprise of me and my brothers, our parents gave us sweaters this year - nice ones too! - instead of the usual Gold Toe 5-pack we usually get.  ;)

My brother, Don, and his daughter, Alexandra, ended up spending the night at their house since Alexandra's flight was delayed and she was very sleepy when she and her mother got the plane.  -She went to Disneyworld yesterday!  They'll be coming back over tomorrow, and we'll have another Christmas for Alexandra - who also just had her birthday.  She was born during the real bad ice storm we had a few years ago on Christmas Eve.  -We had her "birthday" a few months ago, but there's always a relative or two (cough, cough) who still gives her a proper birthday present on her proper birthday.

All in all a very good day.  I managed to stick with "The Sound of Music" even though it had the look of a colorized b&w movie, and ABC had those interminable commercial breaks where they were promoting their January line-up - which included some very un-family-friendly fare.  Ah, well...

My parents are already in bed, and I'm most likely gonna hit the sack in a few myself.  But until then...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #133 on: December 25, 2004, 08:49:07 PM »

Glad you found it, JMK!  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #134 on: December 25, 2004, 08:50:03 PM »

MBARNUM there are several lovely ballets available on DVD - including MANY versions of the NUTCRACKER.

But after that, SWAN LAKE!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #135 on: December 25, 2004, 08:52:21 PM »

The mysterious CD is entitled The Babes: Beyond Bitchin' - the cover is a parody of an early Beatles album (Beatles '64, I think).  I'm going to play it on the way to St. Nick's (Redman, that is).

These Babes are "The Four Bitchin' Babes."  They've performed here in Olympia a couple of times and are wonderful, in my humble opinion (IMHO in Internet lingo)!  I have the Beyond Bitchin' CD.  My favorite song is "Italy and France"...it's a very beautiful song.  "Gabby Road" is the other CD of their that I own.  That cover shows them walking across the street (also like The Beatles) but they're all talking on cell phones and no one's barefoot.  They write almost all of their own music.  Highly recommended!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #136 on: December 25, 2004, 08:57:02 PM »

I didn't post the picture of my brother with his new feather boa. He was a little too entertaining, if you know what I mean.

And before he hits me for posting that, I'll say that I'm just kidding.

LOL. When did you get Joshie?  He is adorable.

George

« Reply #137 on: December 25, 2004, 09:03:54 PM »

Glad they liked On the Record - they seem to be in the minority.  Also glad they liked our Emily Skinner, who has just dropped out of the show.

I had read this Playbill.com article about Emily Skinner no longer being with they show, but they didn't say anything (of course) about why she was no longer with the show.  I didn't know if she quit, got fired or what!  Does anyone have the skinny on Skinner? ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #138 on: December 25, 2004, 09:06:30 PM »

I’m frustrated I haven’t been keeping up with the news.

Today was a good day for Echo giving us all the best Christmas gift we could ask for. The sun was shinning even if it is cold.  I walked with Echo in the morning and we all walked her again this afternoon.  Bryan cooked a delicious dinner.

We are going to play a game before having my cheesecake for dessert.

Kerry

« Reply #139 on: December 25, 2004, 09:17:03 PM »

Merry Christmas to all.  Enjoy this day no matter what your beliefs are.

Santa was good to me despite the fact that there was nothing (reasonable) that I wanted.
Time to go and and roast my chestnuts.

I hope  all of your Christmases were bright.

I like boat races.

George

« Reply #140 on: December 25, 2004, 09:17:52 PM »

Yes, DRJOSE I just checked the SOUND OF MUSIC - I think since we are used to DVD quality - this p/s print is almost unbearable.  I don't have the heart to watch to see if it is the version that doesn't cut much dialog - but makes cuts in SONGS!!

The last time that I watched "The Sound of Music" on TV was quite a few years ago.  Julie was singing "I Have Confidence" and came to the part near the end of the song:

It can be
All I trust I leave my heart to
All I trust becomes my own
I have confidence in confidence alone...

(spoken) Oh, help.
(sung) I have confidence in confidence alone,
Besides, which you see, I have confidence in me!

Anyway, they got to the spoken part:

It can be
All I trust I leave my heart to
All I trust becomes my own
I have confidence in confidence alone...

(spoken) Oh, help....

"And we'll be right back to The Sound of Music after these commecial messages."  

:o THEY DIDN'T FINISH THE SONG!  I was livid!  I turned off the TV (I was so mad I didn't even change the channel) and I vowed right then and there that I would NEVER watch The Sound of Music on TV again.  And I haven't.  I won't even watch the commercials for it. :P

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #141 on: December 25, 2004, 09:25:14 PM »

Wonderful dinner with dear friends and we had chocolate martinis for dessert. Weird sounding but delicious.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #142 on: December 25, 2004, 09:26:35 PM »

You don't have to say it was G-d, I usually attribute such "finds" to St. Anthony - he of the lost things department.

There is a joke about St. Anthony in NUNCRACKERS.

Matt H.

« Reply #143 on: December 25, 2004, 09:31:09 PM »

Well, Taylor couldn't take her eyes off of it! She is only 2 and 1/2 years old but she was absolutely fascinated by this ballet and we ended up watching the whole thing together!!!

Then she wanted to watch it again...I had to try and explain that it wasn't a DVD and we could not watch it again...but she didn't quite understand! LOL!

When I did THE SOUND OF MUSIC on stage a couple of years ago, there was a small child in the first row who was screaming and carrying on something awful during the bows. After the show, we found out she was screaming because she demanded that the show be rerun so she could see it again, and her mother had to explain to her it wasn't a tape or DVD.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: December 25, 2004, 10:00:15 PM »

I'm back, and to prove it, I'm here.  I had a lovely time with the Redmans.  We ate a nice meal, opened our giftees (I got three books and a CD), and Nick wanted to watch What If for their Christmas viewing, so we did.  

Hisaka: I think we discussed Fellini during our visit.  My favorite Fellinis are The White Sheik (the BEST!), La Strada, Variety Lights (mentioned in Writer's Block), Nights of Cabiria, La Dolce Vita and 8 1/2.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: December 25, 2004, 10:02:02 PM »

I've listened to almost all of the Bitchin' Babes and they are quite good.  I think the CD is almost a textbook example of weak sequencing, because the first three tracks are way too similar and I was ready to give up.  But, then came the HMO song and they had me.  In fact, I'm going to recommend that song to a singer I know, to put it on her new album, should her new album actually ever become a reality.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #146 on: December 25, 2004, 10:34:04 PM »

I am having trouble deciding between Last Five Years, Parade, and Elegies.

I know you didn't ask my advice, but here it comes anyway.  If you can only pick one, pick Elegies.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

George

« Reply #147 on: December 25, 2004, 10:41:42 PM »

I've listened to almost all of the Bitchin' Babes and they are quite good.  I think the CD is almost a textbook example of weak sequencing, because the first three tracks are way too similar and I was ready to give up.  But, then came the HMO song and they had me.  In fact, I'm going to recommend that song to a singer I know, to put it on her new album, should her new album actually ever become a reality.

I noticed this too and I think they do it is because they all write songs and sing lead on their own songs.  For the most part, they get the same number of songs on each recording and they record them in the same order.  For instance on the "Beyond Bitchin'" CD:  Debi's song is first, then Sally's song, then Megon's song and then Camille's song.  Then another four in the same order...then another four in the same order.  And if they sing songs written by others (there are two on this CD), their singing order is still the same.  Debi's the lead, Sally's the lead, Megon's the lead and Camille's the lead.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #148 on: December 25, 2004, 10:45:56 PM »

I know you didn't ask my advice, but here it comes anyway.  If you can only pick one, pick Elegies.

Ditto.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: December 25, 2004, 11:07:13 PM »

Hmmm.. Just checking the weather forecast... We're in one of those "Could be nothing, could be lots of snow" patterns.... Hmm....
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up