Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THAT CHRISTMAS THING  (Read 27512 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:THAT CHRISTMAS THING
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2004, 12:05:02 PM »

Good holiday spirit, everybody!

Joshie got a new feather boa for Christmas. He entertained us all with it for quite some time.

Sandra, I am so glad you posted that photo.  I was worried that Joshie might be your brother.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2004, 12:06:00 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Merry Christmas!

Greetings from Fairfax!

I went ahead and slept in this morning, but this I didn't really fall asleep until around 4:00, getting up at 10:30 really wasn't sleeping in - more like sleeping late, I guess.  Whatever...  -I think the pitter-patter of reindeer hooves on my rooftop last night and the adjoining houses last night were responsible for delayed bedtime.

So, after doing some cleaning up in my room, I got some more stuff together to bring back up to Fairfax - CDs, clothes, books, etc.  That whole process took a bit longer than I expected.  I didn't end up leaving Richmond until shortly past Noon.

As I was leaving the apartment, I wrote a note to my roomie that I would be coming back Sunday night.  Well, then it hit me that tomorrow night will be Sunday night, so...  At least I'm all "packed" for next week already.  ;)  -Which also means more time for baking on Monday! :)

I didn't make the rounds before leaving Richmond like I was thinking I would last night, but since I'll be back tomorrow... I'm sure I can squeeze in a few visits on Monday and Tuesday morning.

The drive back up was very nice.  Cold outside, but the car was warm.  Slightly cloudy, but very sunny.  And not too many cars on the road.  -And it was nice to hear the opening of today's Met Broadcast on the radio, Katya Kabanova (sp?), by Janacek.  -Although, an opera about a woman oppressed by her family and society kind of struck me as interesting programming for Christmas Day.  :-\

Once I got to the house, I put everything away including the ham I brought up with me.  Of course, as I was putting away the ham, I noticed another Honey-Baked Ham in the fridge.  Apparently, one of my uncle's came by yesterday and dropped it off.  So, I guess we'll be having my ham for New Year's then. ;)  I also brought up the requisite cans for green bean casserole - I just have a craving for it - as well as some bread and another Chocolate Fudge Pecan pie.

My Dad has been spending today just as he does most Christmas days: watching football.  My Mom had to work at the nursing home today, but she'll be home shortly.  And then I'm guessing my brothers and the nieces and nephew will be heading over sometime tonight to open their presents.

As for myself, I'm just gonna take it easy for the next few hours before I start prepping dinner.

-Oh, do they no longer make the Cranberry Ginger Ale?  All I see lately is the Raspberry stuff.  -Which sort of tastes the same, but I like the extra bit of tartness in the Cranberry stuff.

-Just wonderin'....

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2004, 12:08:45 PM »

I've opened my giftees - some lovely thingees this year, including two DVDs I didn't have (amazing) - two Sherlock Holmes films written by our very own Pogue.  I also received a strange-looking CD which, when I figure out exactly what it is, I'll tell you all about.  Also, got a lovely soft plush throw.  That's what it's called - I assume I throw it on the floor somewhere, which will be wonderul in one of the bathrooms, where the tiles are mighty cold in the mornings.  I also got a wonderful framed gift of two count them two authentic Li'l Aner Cream of Wheat ads - I'll have to find the perfect wall although I think I know where it will look great if it fits.  I also got a book of photographs taken by Mr. Harold Lloyd.  Not just any photographs, however - no, these are photographs of NAKED WOMEN.  Not just any photographs of NAKED WOMEN, however - no, these are photographs of NAKED WOMEN in 3-D.  These zaftig babes come right off the page, I tell you.  And yes, Virginia, the book comes with a special pair.  Not just any special pair, however - no, this book comes with a special pair of Harold Lloyd 3-D glasses.  When you put on this special pair of Harold Lloyd 3-D glasses then many a special pair are, shall we say, in your face.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2004, 12:09:42 PM »

We need more posts with more presents reports.  For example, I do hope that some of you got some normal underpants for Christmas, and I do hope that none of you got some thong underpants for Christmas.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2004, 12:10:10 PM »

I am now going to my sister's for brunch, card playing and general merry-making! ;D Have a great day, all!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2004, 12:11:17 PM »

And I love all this revisionist history going on this morning re the stunning announcement.  I am devastated that I shall not be betrothed to Rachel.

Danise

« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2004, 12:22:00 PM »

Well for a nano second in my mind you were!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2004, 12:35:51 PM »

Hmmm... I just went through the ads for tomorrow's After Christmas sales.  Lo and behold, a bunch of store are opening at 7:00AM - on a Sunday.  However, most of them are closing at 7:00PM, so it's not really that long a shopping day, I guess...

In any case, as I was browsing the various sales and specials, all I could think of doing tomorow is NOT going shopping...

<putting hand to forehead>

Hmm... I'm not running a fever.  I guess nothing's wrong with me then.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2004, 12:48:26 PM »

We need more posts with more presents reports.  For example, I do hope that some of you got some normal underpants for Christmas, and I do hope that none of you got some thong underpants for Christmas.

Well, I must report that I was gifted by my newspaper boy with seven pairs of thong underwear -- with the days of the week on them (sequins). I'm wearing "Saturday" as I type. Tomorrow I'll wear "Sunday." Not only will I look lovely, but I'll never again forget what day of the week it is. (Thongs for the memory.) ;D

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2004, 01:01:23 PM »

Panni's wearing a thong?
Could anything more alienate your future son-in-law?
Is this any way to begin your career as a mother-in--law?

Gee, that reminds me of a song...
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2004, 01:11:46 PM »

www.endresnet.com/weddingLyrics4.txt

will take you to the lyric.

Merry Christmas, all

I just called my friend Al just so I could say, Merry Christmas, Al

which is not quite the same

We thank Our Gracious Host for having us over to do the "Do."  Joy's feeling so un-well, it may be the only holiday fete we get to this year.  I'm off, soon, to do my annual Christmas party gig in Beverly Hills.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2004, 01:14:34 PM »

I've already eaten a piece of Parisienne Cake, a donut, and a sandwich.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2004, 01:25:29 PM »

Like BK, I space my gift opening throughout the day. I got a JEOPARDY daily calendar from my friend Penny and a Borders gift card from pal Gregg. My friend Rodney this morning at his breakfast gave me a MARY POPPINS program from the just-opened British stage version which he saw last week and a copy of I, ROBOT on DVD. I gave myself a new leather jacket which is thicker than the old one I had. Several other gifts await. I'm off to another dinner in half an hour.

Sounds like everyone has had a nice day so far. Glad to read it.

Thanks for identifying the personas in the party pic.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2004, 01:29:18 PM »

When I got home from the breakfast, I watched another episode of STAR TREK from Season 2 - "Obsession." Amazing how beautiful these old shows look now on DVD. The color is so very rich. Used to look so pastel on our old Admiral color TV 40 years ago.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2004, 01:47:20 PM »

I will shortly be on my way to our very own St. Nick's - Redman, that is.  We need more presents reports.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #75 on: December 25, 2004, 01:48:53 PM »

What lovely posts.  A bit of this and that is what I got.  So I am happy.

Everybody do the Gumnaam dance!   ;D
« Last Edit: December 25, 2004, 01:49:19 PM by JRand54 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: December 25, 2004, 01:56:20 PM »

Oopss... I guess I better wrap those presents I bought yesterday...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #77 on: December 25, 2004, 02:23:16 PM »

****FEEL BETTER VIBES TO DR/DW JOY!****

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: December 25, 2004, 02:28:58 PM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone?  You'd think it was Christmas or something.  Well, we're sure everyone will be back soon - oh, an Oliver reference - to regale us with tales of Christmas present and Christmas presents.

Panni

« Reply #79 on: December 25, 2004, 02:38:57 PM »

DD and I had lunch or breakfast or whatever it was at Art's Deli ("Every Sandwich is a Work of Art"). I believe the entire Jewish population of the San Fernando Valley was there -- except for the ones at DuPar's. DD had eggs, lox and onions (on my recommendation) and I had a big bowl of matzoh ball soup. I also had three cups of coffee. I may soon float away. Time for a nice walk. It's gorgeous out.

Panni

« Reply #80 on: December 25, 2004, 02:41:24 PM »

I just got an IM from somebody called SXGRL.
SXGRL tells me that I was wonderful last night and says there are pics to prove it.
Gee, I wonder if SXGRL is talking about the Christmas do?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: December 25, 2004, 02:43:14 PM »

Gee and the IM's I get are only from people who want to sell me Florida oceanfront property!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: December 25, 2004, 02:43:45 PM »

It doesn't seem like Saturday!

td thanks for the POTO review!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #83 on: December 25, 2004, 02:44:48 PM »

Merry Christmas, fellow dear readers. We are having a nice quiet holiday here.

My DS got me a lovely trio of gifts, including a Wallace and Ladmo dvd (only DR Kerry will understand the significance of that.) DR Sandra got me a book that I had read in childhood. She searched ebay for two years to find it, as it has been out of print for 40 years, she said. My sister sent a piece of jewelry which belonged to my mother. My DH and I will order our special joint gift next week: a new roof for the house.

The ham is baking and we will make a traditional (although not in my family) holiday dish: green bean casserole.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: December 25, 2004, 02:59:30 PM »

Well, it really doesn't seem like a Saturday, does it?  I think I'll mosey on in to the shower now.

Panni

« Reply #85 on: December 25, 2004, 03:04:06 PM »

Well, it really doesn't seem like a Saturday, does it?  I think I'll mosey on in to the shower now.

I KNOW it's Saturday. One look at my thongs and I'm informed and up-to-date.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #86 on: December 25, 2004, 03:16:43 PM »

What was the mysterious CD, Mr BK?

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #87 on: December 25, 2004, 03:18:59 PM »

Sandra, I am so glad you posted that photo.  I was worried that Joshie might be your brother.

I didn't post the picture of my brother with his new feather boa. He was a little too entertaining, if you know what I mean.

And before he hits me for posting that, I'll say that I'm just kidding.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: December 25, 2004, 03:37:55 PM »

The mysterious CD is entitled The Babes: Beyond Bitchin' - the cover is a parody of an early Beatles album (Beatles '64, I think).  I'm going to play it on the way to St. Nick's (Redman, that is).

François de Paris

« Reply #89 on: December 25, 2004, 03:39:08 PM »

I thought some might enjoy reading this, borrowed from http://www.laughingplace.com

Part one:

Jim on Film
December 24, 2004

On the Record On the Road

Some time ago, Walt Disney Theatricals had announced a musical revue of its classic Disney songs to be directed by Tina Landau, who helmed the Broadway revival of the musical classic Bells are Ringing. When that revue project faded into obscurity, just as Michael Eisner was facing scrutiny after the departure of Roy Disney and Stanley Gold from the Board of Directors, On the Record was announced as a future project to tour the country.

On the Record was conceived by Broadway director and choreographer Robert Longbottom, who did a fine job re-conceiving a troubled Scarlet Pimpernel and was also nominated for a Tony for his choreography in the recent Flower Drum Song revival, which he also directed. He is still probably best known, however, for the direction and choreography of his first Broadway project, the cult musical Side Show. For On the Record, he again takes the reigns as director and choreographer.

First of all, there is no doubt that On the Record was conceived as an easy way for Disney to make money. The show utilizes classic Disney songs in a show with one set, eight performers, a pre-recorded voice, seventeen costume changes, and only a whiff of a story-in other words, it couldn’t have been too expensive to produce. It is clearly intended to making a killing on the road from people who will pay up to $65 to hear classic Disney songs in a touring Broadway venue.

The basic structure of the show is that eight people have been gathered in a recording studio to record classic Disney songs. Advertising for the show is deceptive in its claims to be about “a young unknown . . . about to get her big break, a pop diva . . . about to meet her match, and a matinee idol . . . about to meet the new kid who could take his place.” Other than a Recording Engineer (a pre-recorded voice off stage) who instructs the performers about some of the sessions, there is no dialogue to develop any of these ideas. The young unknown getting her big break is merely conveyed by a line or two spoken by the Recording Engineer which prompts the young unknown to break out into A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes. The rest of the plot as outlined in advertising is compacted into about four minutes of stage time, communicated through non-verbal gestures and attitudes. Moments into the play, the Recording Engineer instructs the performers to leave their baggage (both physical and personal) at the door, and at the door remains any sense of character and plot until the very end (with the exception of the pop diva using the line “bigger and stronger too” from You’ve Got a Friend in Me to insult the matinee idol).

Most of the stage time is involved with eight people (our four main “characters”-figures really-and a quartet) singing sixty-four classic Disney songs one-after-the-other and sometimes breaking into dance. Recording studio aside, the real concept seems to have been eight beautiful people with beautiful voices singing great Disney songs beautifully.

As for song selections, there are very few surprises among the choices. Let’s Get Together from The Parent Trap makes an appearance, as does The Walrus and the Carpenter from Alice in Wonderland, Will the Sun Ever Shine Again from Home on the Range, and Minnie’s Yoo Hoo. The majority of selections come from the best-known Disney films, with only The Jungle Book and The AristoCats making a showing among full-length animated features in the films after Sleeping Beauty (1959) and before The Little Mermaid (1989). Most of the songs are presented in a medley format, but they are mostly so well-cut (or at least creatively presented), that the often-annoying medley format is welcome. Of note to Disney fans, not listed in the program is that in one scene of underscoring, The Age of Not Believing can be heard, and several songs not performed in the show can be heard in the exit music.

On the Record finds itself on a fine line between Broadway show and theme park diversion. Oddly enough, it is bookended by the more theme park aspects of the presentation, complete with choreography and vocal arrangements one imagines can be found performed by any number of college students in theme parks across the country. However, when the Broadway roots of its creator kicks into high gear, that’s when the show really shines.

The cast is lead by Broadway star Emily Skinner, who was nominated for a Tony Award for her role as Siamese twin Daisy Hilton in Side Show and also appeared on Broadway in Jekyll and Hyde, The Full Monty, and James Joyce’s The Dead. It’s hard to say whether Skinner is as talented as she is beautiful or is as beautiful as she is talented, but her passionate soprano brings life to the stage in the role of Diane, the supposed diva. The moment when the show first kicks into high gear comes from Skinner, who delivers Someday My Prince Will Come with a sense of mature longing and passion tempered with the operetta style in which the song was original performed. Skinner makes one of Disney’s earliest and best known songs come alive in a way little Snow White could never have understood. It doesn’t take long to see why Skinner is indeed a Broadway star.

Emily Skinner’s presence in On the Record is a true blessing. Skinner is a performer well-known in theatre circles in New York, a true Broadway leading talent. Rarely do stars like Skinner-such as Marin Mazzie, Carolee Carmello, and Adam Pascal-ever make it out on the road, with lead roles usually going to talented no-names or to celebrities with varying degrees of talent. Kudos goes to Disney for giving On the Record a star of Skinner’s name and caliber.

Brian Sutherland plays Julian, the matinee idol. Sutherland, who boasts Broadway credits in shows 1776, Victor/Victoria, The Sound of Music, Cats, and others, is also a welcomed Broadway presence. Blessed with a rich and versatile voice, Sutherland follows Skinner’s amazing Someday My Prince Will Come with another highlight of the show, leading the presentation of one of my favorite Disney songs, Once Upon a Dream, which is, according to my notes, “to die for.”

Ashley Brown portrays Kristen, the young unknown. At first hearing, Brown deceptively comes off as a beautiful soprano like so many others gracing Broadway shows in New York and across the country. However, it is her rendition of Reflection (climaxed with a powerful Broadway belt) that will make you say Christina Agu-who?, and her performance of A Change in Me, from the Broadway Beauty and the Beast, is amazing.

Andrew Samonsky is Nick, the new kid who could take the matinee idol’s place. He gets to lead a fun Brian Setzer-esque rendition of Ev’rybody Wants to Be a Cat and a heartfelt Out There. One of the most interesting moments in the show is to see Emily Skinner and Brian Sutherland, who split Frollo’s Out There intro between them, singing to Samonsky about how ugly and deformed he is. Samonsky, of course, looks like he just walked out of a Gap advertisement.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up