Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE AVOIDANCE OF CHRISTMAS POST PARTUM DEPRESSION  (Read 24310 times)

Sandra

• "Stupider."
Re:THE AVOIDANCE OF CHRISTMAS POST PARTUM DEPRESSION
« Reply #90 on: December 26, 2004, 01:55:21 PM »

Oh, and Jane, thanks for saying Joshie is cute. We got him a couple years ago. He was a reject from the pound.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #91 on: December 26, 2004, 01:56:46 PM »

My mom wants to know what she should put in bean soup besides a ham bone, basil, bay leaves, onions, and garlic. Anybody know?

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #92 on: December 26, 2004, 01:57:40 PM »

Well, I think I'm gonna go ahead and take a very short nap before I get ready to head in for the show.  Something tells me tonight is gonna go by real slow.... Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #93 on: December 26, 2004, 01:58:07 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
HOLIDAY GREETINGS EVERYBODY!
[/color][/b][/size][/move]

I tried to get to you guys before Christmas but couldn't fit it in :(. I hope y'all had a good time. From today's notes, I'd say many of you ate too much smoling! We had - are you ready? - ELK! My brother tasted it while he was in Colorado someplace and raved about it, so...

To me, it tasted like beef, but what do I know?!?!

I just got around to seeing (on video) FAR FROM HEAVEN with Julianne Moore and Dennis Quaid. Elmer Bernstein was robbed!!! His score was definitely Oscar-worthy.

RE: MARTIN & LEWIS. The Shannon Center at Whittier College in Whittier, California is presenting the World Premiere of A SALUTE TO DEAN MARTIN & JERRY LEWIS on January 22, 2005. Here's the copy from the press release (written by yours truly):

This first-ever live show dedicated to the team of Martin & Lewis stars Danny DeLurgio as Dean Martin, David Wolf as Jerry Lewis, and features The John Peace Orchestra. The show encompasses Martin & Lewis' work, together and apart, in films, television, radio, and stage. All your favorites - along with some real surprises - are here; The Songs: That's Amore, Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime, Return To Me, Arrivederci Roma; The Comedy: The Nutty Professor, The Chinese Waiter, The Typewriter Song, The Follow Spot Sweep. More than mere impersonators, these performers go the extra mile to bring you a full evening of entertainment you won't soon forget!

The show's creators (David Wolf and John Peace) have gone way back in the archives to reproduce material from Martin & Lewis' club act and the Colgate Comedy Hour shows. I understand David Wolf is a dead-ringer. Lewis even had him on the MDA Telethon. DeLurgio is more a sound-a-like than an impersonator and has a dreamy voice.

The show is part of the Cabaret Series at The Shannon Center. Cabaret West is one of the sponsors. Our sponsorship is not in the form of money but promotion. Hence, my involvement. If you feel so inclined, tickets are on sale now. I'll be at the Cabaret West table in the lobby to meet and greet. Here's the link http://web.whittier.edu/shannon/Cab0405.html.

Have an enjoyable day.

P.S. Someday, will one of you explain to me the "ratio" thing? How can I tell if I'm seeing a film in the right ratio? I only know that I'm not always seeing the full image (which irritates me to no end). I don't own a DVD...everything I see is on videotape.

Tomovoz

« Reply #94 on: December 26, 2004, 01:58:57 PM »

My mom wants to know what she should put in bean soup besides a ham bone, basil, bay leaves, onions, and garlic. Anybody know?
Beans?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #95 on: December 26, 2004, 02:00:12 PM »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #96 on: December 26, 2004, 02:01:35 PM »

Bay leaf and onion, most definitely.  Only basil if you're making an Italian-style soup.  Black pepper, thyme, celery salt also work nicely.  Just a touch of rosemary if you/she likes too - but just a touch.  Parsley for color and garnish too.

Oh, and some water and/or chicken stock would be good too!  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #97 on: December 26, 2004, 02:05:43 PM »

She says thank you.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: December 26, 2004, 02:12:27 PM »

Just bought myself a new digital camera.  My digital camera is over two years old and quite lame - not enough pixels, I'm told, plus the annoying problem of the double A batteries giving out after about an hour or two (if you use the LCD screen to frame your pix).  To not use the LCD frame doesn't work in this camera because the viewfinder is just totally inaccurate in terms of framing.  The camera is a Hewlitt-Packard - I don't even know if HP makes cameras anymore.  Anyway, I decided enough is enough, just like Barbra Streisand and Donna Summer.  So, I hied myself to Good Guys and bought a Canon digital camera - VERY small, good pixels, a nice zoom and best of all, a rechargable battery that lasts up to two weeks on one charge (using the LCD screen).  I bought a memory card that holds one hundred photos, which is, I presume, all I'd ever need to have on there at one time, pre uploading to the computer.  The only downside is that once the salesperson had convinced me that that was the camera for me, they didn't have it in stock, so I don't actually get the camera until Thursday.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #99 on: December 26, 2004, 02:25:40 PM »

Spent a nice afternoon with I, ROBOT and going insane and gainly back my sanity with Olivia deHavilland in THE SNAKE PIT.

IR was fairly fanciful and mindless entertainment with some super special effects and some that were just too CGI to suspend disbelief. The identity of the murderer was something of a surprise.

THE SNAKE PIT looked wonderful. Once again, Fox has done well by its Studio Classics. And deHavilland was just superb; I hadn't watched this film in decades, and seeing this breathtaking performance again was so wonderful. I just wish Paramount would get busy and put THE HEIRESS on DVD as soon as possible.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #100 on: December 26, 2004, 02:28:45 PM »

Tonight, I move on in the DVD stack to SPIDER-MAN 2. I'll report later.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: December 26, 2004, 02:33:43 PM »

Having breakfast, which consists of scrambled eggs, which turned out very well, and hasbrowns...which didn't turn out quite so well, but are decent.  

DRAnn, I've always preferred hasbrowns to hashbeens!  I just the 3-hour BBC NICHOLAS NICKLEBY with Charles Dance and James DArcy.  It was quite wonderful, not so frivolous as the film with Dame Edna as Mrs Crummles, and not so long as the great Royal Shakespeare Company epic.  As the little bear says, it was just right.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: December 26, 2004, 02:39:20 PM »

Perhaps several hashbeans?

DRCharlesPogue, does that UK for alma mater stand for University of Kentucky or United of Kingdom?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #103 on: December 26, 2004, 02:43:01 PM »

OK- Nap time is over... Time to get ready for the show, Boys and Girls....

And so, with that...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #104 on: December 26, 2004, 03:00:53 PM »

Well I've had a very nice Boxing Day so far.

The stores open here at 1pm.  So we headed to the mall for noon.  Some stores were open early.  And at that time it was actually quite difficult to get a good parking spot.  For some reason everyone comes early.

I got some good bargains.

I got:  3 fancy watch bracelets for $5 total, 1 half price calendar $9, 1 floral broach $1.99, 1 necklace $1.99, and a poodle with a yamaka (sp?) $3.50 (it's so cute).

It took us almost 30  minutes to get out of the parking lot at 4pm. :(

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: December 26, 2004, 03:07:19 PM »

I decided to have a boxing day, too.  I boxed up some stuff and put it in the closet.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: December 26, 2004, 03:07:38 PM »

I had a couple of chicken tenders from Gelson's.

François de Paris

« Reply #107 on: December 26, 2004, 03:11:20 PM »

Well I've had a very nice Boxing Day so far.

For some reason everyone comes early.

I don't know....
Could it be that people want to... beat the crowds???? ;)

Even though I don't see any good reason for giving the crowds such a treatment! Beats me!

And... Jennifer, I think you've been quite a Big Spender today! :)

François de Paris

« Reply #108 on: December 26, 2004, 03:17:43 PM »

I feel like having a Boxing Day here too... and punch a few Hotel guests in the face!

Anyone cares for some punch?
In a glass, of course!
We're peaceful here!

Danise

« Reply #109 on: December 26, 2004, 03:22:21 PM »

Evening all.

I spent the afternoon playing computer games and watching all of the Terminator movies.  The movies were a mistake because they made me so sad.  They fought so hard to change the future and couldn’t do it.  

Mixed up Bean Soup

2 cups (1 pound) mixed dried beans or peas
8 cups water
2 cups cubed ½ inch cooked ham (or a ham bone with some meat on it—I’ve made it both ways and it turns out fine.)
1 ½ cup (3 medium) chopped onions
1 teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon pepper
1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatos, undrained. Cut up.  (I just use a can of diced tomatos)
2 teaspoons chili powder (With MY stomach?—I think not.  I only use about ¼ to ½ teaspoon)
2 tablespoons lemon juice

In Dutch Oven combine beans and water.  Cook over high heat until water comes to a full boil (15 to 20 minutes).  Boil 2 minutes, remove from heat.  Cover and let stand for 1 hour.  Add ham, onions, salt and pepper to beans.  Cover cook over low heat until beans are tender(about 2 hours). Add all remaining ingredients. Cover; continue cooking until flavors are blended (about 1 hour). Season to taste.

That’s the official way.  Here’s the way I do it.

I buy the beans the night before and put them in a zip lock bag a couple of cups of water.  The next morning, I put everything into the slow cooker, cover it with water until it comes to the top, put it on low and let it cook all day long.  It works out fine.

They were just talking about the wind I heard last night on the news.  They said they were about 60 MPH!!  Wow!

Since my tummy was a little off, I made potato pancakes for dinner tonight.  They were very yummy and just hit the spot.   :)

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #110 on: December 26, 2004, 03:35:23 PM »

I just lost a long post when I pressed "Post" and was told that the connection failed. Aaaarrrrgh!
To recap... I've just come back from buying DD a few Boxing Day Sale items. All purchased from boutiques within walking distance of the home environment. My rule for today is that if I have to get in the car to buy it, it stays in the store. The stores around here are actually quite marvy, unique and stylish. In fact DD's day was made when in one of the small boutiques she was trying on a pair of sandals and had a conversation with Jessica Simpson about buying them. (Miss Simpson, who is very tiny and very pretty - even with no make-up and a baseball cap pulled over her blonde mane - told DD that she should purchase the sandals because they looked cute and she'd get lots of use out of them.)
I've been a good mother in that I did not buy the one item that I wanted for myself, deciding to spend the money on the child instead. Brownie points at Mother Camp.

Panni

« Reply #111 on: December 26, 2004, 03:37:29 PM »

Oh - and I said in the lost post that I don't expect bk to know who Jessica Simpson is.

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #112 on: December 26, 2004, 03:45:26 PM »

Regarding cameras: I needed a close-up of a small engraving on a belt. Someone I know has a digital camera and we tried to get a decent photo of the engraving. His close-up lens wasn't close enough, so I held a magnifying glass over the engraving and he took the picture through that. It worked great!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #113 on: December 26, 2004, 03:57:57 PM »

Thank you all for the soup advice. I've made it before, but couldn't remember what all I put in it. It smells yummy.

DR Jane: Joshie was a feral kitten that wound up at the pound a couple years ago when we were one of their foster homes. He was lucky, because it was wintertime and there were only a few kittens, so they gave him to us to socialize, since we had room for him. He was as wild as they come, but we tamed him nicely. Unfortunately, he was very frightened at adoptions, and they called me to bring him home. We quit fostering at that time, since we had a teenager move in with us and we needed the space for her. Joshie just sorta stayed here, and the pound let me keep him for the cost of the rabies shot. He is my little ray of sunshine, and I'm glad we kept him.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Panni

« Reply #114 on: December 26, 2004, 04:17:01 PM »

For those who may be interested, I just found a
A RECIPE FOR MARZIPAN BROWNIES

Check it out.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 04:19:18 PM by Panni »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #115 on: December 26, 2004, 05:02:22 PM »

Oh....on HGTV at 9 pm EST - a show about "The Games We Used to Play" - the promo is interesting, hopefully the program will be, too.

I still get confused about ratio.  Now...I thought widescreen had to be done with lenses.  So if a movie is shot in a couple of ratios - is it shot with lenses and projected with lenses but masked differently?  Or is it just shot with more information on the film and masked?

Not that it matters.

Since yesterday didn't seem like Saturday...this doesn't seem much like Sunday either.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

td

• td
« Reply #116 on: December 26, 2004, 05:16:41 PM »

You will all pardon me, I hope, when I say that suddenly I feel like DR MBarnum.  You see, I also received a digital camera (Canon PowerShot A85) as a Christmas gift!  Now I must learn how to resize, repost and generally rework any photos that I may care to post.  (For the most part, however, I shall still use photobucket and ofoto for my online and my printing needs).  Right now, I am just truly grateful that downloading the pictures onto the computer is such an easy task.

So, that said, Dixie Belle and Minx are getting their pictures taken quite often this afternoon. . .and I got a roll developed from last week, which is nothing but photos of Minx and Dixie Belle - those shots will soon be on the photobucket site.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #117 on: December 26, 2004, 05:18:56 PM »

Oh - and I said in the lost post that I don't expect bk to know who Jessica Simpson is.

I don't care who she is; but if the anecdote had been about Nick Lachey. . . . . ::)  :P
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #118 on: December 26, 2004, 05:22:02 PM »

Elmore, now I want an egg bagel.

SWW, Jose & Sandra-

Tomovoz-good health vibes!

Ann-good luck tomorrow.

Sandra if there is ham in the bean soup will you eat it?

Panni I was very excited about the brownie recipe until I saw raspberries which I don’t care for.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #119 on: December 26, 2004, 05:22:41 PM »

I would foster cats and dogs but then Keith would keep them all.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up