Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: CHEESY POTATOES  (Read 24135 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:CHEESY POTATOES
« Reply #150 on: December 28, 2004, 09:26:26 PM »

I don't frenzy.  Don't ask me.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: December 28, 2004, 09:29:29 PM »

The upload folder has been emptied and we're fine for the next few months, so no worries, post away.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #152 on: December 28, 2004, 09:29:43 PM »

I can't see anywhere an option to delete past posts once the thread is locked.

Hmmm...  There was a way to delete the photo/attachment from a past post, but I don't see it now either and/or can't remember how to do it.

Hmmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #153 on: December 28, 2004, 09:30:35 PM »

ARRRGH!  Except when there's a PAGE SIX DANCE to do!

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #154 on: December 28, 2004, 09:32:03 PM »

Speaking of cheesy potatoes, my sister told us at Christmas about the mashed potatoes she had at her in-laws on Christmas Eve.  They were a whipped concoction of potatoes, sour cream and chunks of cream cheese. I suspect that we are having this for New Year's Day dinner.

Ooh that sounds good!  I'm a HUGE fan of mashed potatoes.  Cream cheese sounds a bit odd, I'll admit...but I'd be willing to try  :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #155 on: December 28, 2004, 09:37:16 PM »

Welcome seven GUESTS.  We're talkin' about highlights.  I need some in my hair.

Deleting anything from a post, including a photo, is simple.  Just click on the "modify" putton on any post you've made and then choose delete the attachment.  Doesn't matter if the thread itself is locked or not.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #156 on: December 28, 2004, 09:41:46 PM »

...Currently in the CD player, Dawn Upshaw's latest recital disc, "Voices of Light" - songs of Messiaen, Debussy, Golijov and Faure.  As I was reading the production notes in the booklet, I noticed the Messiaen selections were recorded back in 1997 and the rest of the songs were recorded last year.  Interesting... They were also recorded in different venues.  I may have to give this disc a very close "technical" listen to see if I can detect a difference in the sound of one venue from the other as well as differences in the sound of the piano as well as Ms. Upshaw's voice.  In any case...

Some truly beautiful singing, and some amazing piano playing by Gilbert Kalish - those Messiaen songs are a bitch!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #157 on: December 28, 2004, 09:45:41 PM »

Speaking of cheesy potatoes, my sister told us at Christmas about the mashed potatoes she had at her in-laws on Christmas Eve.  They were a whipped concoction of potatoes, sour cream and chunks of cream cheese. I suspect that we are having this for New Year's Day dinner.

Sounds good to me!  I'd probably add some freshly grated parmesan and some mashed cloves of roasted garlic.  Or to be truly decadent - especially if they were being served with a nice, juicy steak or some prime rib - I would add a few crumbles of bleu cheese.  -Oh, and I'd use buttermilk for the initial "thinning out" too for some extra tang.
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #158 on: December 28, 2004, 09:50:28 PM »

Deleting anything from a post, including a photo, is simple.  Just click on the "modify" putton on any post you've made and then choose delete the attachment.  Doesn't matter if the thread itself is locked or not.

When I go to December 24 and try to delete my photo, all those options -- delete, modify, quote -- are gone.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #159 on: December 28, 2004, 09:56:51 PM »

Sounds good to me!  I'd probably add some freshly grated parmesan and some mashed cloves of roasted garlic.  Or to be truly decadent - especially if they were being served with a nice, juicy steak or some prime rib - I would add a few crumbles of bleu cheese.  -Oh, and I'd use buttermilk for the initial "thinning out" too for some extra tang.

Mmmmm...I like the bleu cheese angle, but since the other main side for the meal will be sauerkraut, there won't be room for another so zesty dish.  ANd my sisters both usually use buttermilk to thin the potatoes.

Our New Year's Day meal is always roasted pork and sauerkraut.  It's suppose to bring good luck for the new year.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 10:02:46 PM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #160 on: December 28, 2004, 10:12:40 PM »

I see I was the star of a number of interesting movies while I was away. Forget all this memory stuff. Think romantic comedy - like WHEN HARRY MET PANNI. And of course, there's always the good old family pic like PANNIANNA - about a spunky Hungarian orphan. And, if you ask bk, I'm sure he'll tell you about the Panni biopic - PSYCHO.
I'm going to bed early tonight.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: December 28, 2004, 10:16:13 PM »

In any case, you can now post photos aplenty once again, so what are you waiting for?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #162 on: December 28, 2004, 10:53:52 PM »

Mmmmm...I like the bleu cheese angle, but since the other main side for the meal will be sauerkraut, there won't be room for another so zesty dish.  ANd my sisters both usually use buttermilk to thin the potatoes.

Our New Year's Day meal is always roasted pork and sauerkraut.  It's suppose to bring good luck for the new year.

I've actually had mashed potatoes "laced" with sauerkraut before at some restaurant.  It worked.

On a related note... The Mashed Potato Club in Chicago closed in 2002.  Truly a one-of-a-kind place for many reasons: the decor, the staff, the bar, the food.  And as the name implied, you could get mashed potatoes (two or four scoops to a plate) in many forms.  There was a list of 100+ toppings to choose from.  Basically, you could have mashed potatoes for your appetizer, main dish and dessert!  Just customize the toppings - I never did try peanut butter, nor jelly beans, nor some of the more exotic - and questionable - listings.  They also had some wonderful "regular" food - sort of like high-end diner.  And the martinis... And the waiters... -according to the blurbs in the menu, flirting with the waitstaff was encouraged!
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #163 on: December 28, 2004, 10:55:34 PM »

The avatar gremlins are playing again! I'll start from scratch tomorrow maybe. Is there a way to delete all those unused avatars?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #164 on: December 28, 2004, 11:04:30 PM »

In said box: pandesal (a Filipino bread/roll), hopia (Filipino pastries), assorted rice cakes with assorted fillings and toppings, as well as some calamansi (sp?) (a sort of citrus fruit, like a lime).  YUM!!

The more I read Jose's posts, the more I wish my Filipino former roommate, Freddie, had introduced me to more than just lumpia!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #165 on: December 28, 2004, 11:13:33 PM »

I trust you are making a reference to the posts about food DR Jed.
Was that MBarnum's cat with whom you shared a room?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #166 on: December 28, 2004, 11:15:36 PM »

I'm still not in bed. Skammen.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #167 on: December 28, 2004, 11:27:34 PM »

DR SWW  - Did you see the article in yesterday's New York Times Science section?  It was about Shirley Corriher, food scientist, and her upcoming book, "Bake Wise".  There are also some recipes included!  I think the article is still available on the Times website.  I'm surprised it's not referred to in the Food & Dining section.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #168 on: December 28, 2004, 11:35:23 PM »

The more I read Jose's posts, the more I wish my Filipino former roommate, Freddie, had introduced me to more than just lumpia!

:D

DR Jed - There are some very shelf-stable Filipino pastries, I'll see what I can wrap up and send to you sometime - I'll need your address.  They're very similar to the Chinese and Japanese style sweets in that they're filled with the likes of sweet bean pastes, sweet potato purees (there's a purple sweet potato, ube, which I really like), coconut, cassava root, etc.  And the crusts are very "short" - lots of fat and sugar in them.

In the meantime, some Asian grocery stores sell Filipino goodies - and there may even be a Filipino store in your city.  The most popular brand is Goldilocks.  They make all sorts of stuff from candy to pastries to ice cream.  My favorites are the polvorones which are basically sugar, toasted rice flour, milk powder and flavoring... So good, so addictive.... and, of course, not exactly the most nutritious thing you should be eating. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jed

« Reply #169 on: December 28, 2004, 11:43:11 PM »

Was that MBarnum's cat with whom you shared a room?

You probably never even knew MBarnum's cat was Filipino, did you?

Jed

« Reply #170 on: December 28, 2004, 11:46:32 PM »

Thanks greatly for the info, Jose!  I'll keep my eye open for those Goldilocks goodies... as soon as I find my way to an actual "city," that is! :D

Tomovoz

« Reply #171 on: December 28, 2004, 11:50:44 PM »

You probably never even knew MBarnum's cat was Filipino, did you?
I should have suspected from the collection of shoes. (Puss not only in boots).
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up