Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: HUBRIS  (Read 2295 times)

Laura

Re: HUBRIS
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2017, 10:59:22 AM »

So glad to hear that our Dear Readers and families did ok in the storm. I was worried about Danise's house surviving.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2017, 11:00:13 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - rough night - only about four hours of sleep.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2017, 11:11:46 AM »

I spent the last hour cleaning out my clothes closet.  I tried on every pair of pants and trashed a lot along with shirts and jackets.  Now I need to find some place to donate them.  I hope they will pick up.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2017, 12:04:10 PM »

Thanks for the update.  It sounds like their home is good.  I hope the power won't be out for too many days.

I didn't think to ask if there was any property damage. 

But their home helper told me the windows had held up OK.

Having windows is good.  I suppose if there had been any obvious damage their helper would have mentioned it.

Jane

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2017, 12:05:24 PM »

I spent the last hour cleaning out my clothes closet.  I tried on every pair of pants and trashed a lot along with shirts and jackets.  Now I need to find some place to donate them.  I hope they will pick up.

Ask Val.  If he belongs to a church he might be very glad to take the clothes to donate.

Jane

« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2017, 12:18:01 PM »

It was interesting following friends and family on facebook.  Some didn't comment at all.  One cousin marked her self "safe" BEFORE the storm hit ;D  Others did brief comments.  Jason & Danise were the best to follow and get of good feel of what people in Florida were experiencing.

It was amazing to follow the preparations of DR Danise.  The physical work she did to prepare her home, including setting up thoughtful purchases she has made over the years, was very impressive.  She is such a smart, talented, and resourceful.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2017, 12:24:37 PM »

It turns out that my radiation doctor - Dr. Val - who is from the Ukraine, was in the Caribbean during the first part of the hurricane.  The eye passed over them....and then they had about six hours of rain/wind.

They were moved to lower floors of the hotel.....he and his wife have dual citizenship - US/Canada.  They heard on CNN that Canada was sending a dozen planes to evacuate Canadian citizens, but he hadn't brought his Canadian passport with him.....

They called the Embassy and were told nothing could be done, just sit it out.....they flew out late last week and got home to Indy.....

It's just a regular story - but it is much more entertaining when told in a Ukranian accent.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2017, 12:45:47 PM »

LOL.  It is still entertaining.

Jane

« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2017, 12:46:38 PM »

I saw a news report, which I didn't read, of people who were left behind on these flights.  I wonder if he was mentioned.

Jane

« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2017, 12:47:04 PM »

Lesson learned, if you have dual passports travel with both of them.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2017, 12:48:16 PM »

The Monday work monsters are running amok.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2017, 12:57:43 PM »

I enjoyed this story of the news reporter helping to rescue dolphins on Marco Island.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nbc-reporter-rescues-two-dolphins-beached-irma-154017104.html
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 01:05:00 PM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2017, 12:57:56 PM »

The Monday work monsters are running amok.

;D

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2017, 01:13:44 PM »

Thanks for all the updates!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2017, 01:14:06 PM »

~~~Vibes to All Who Need Them!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2017, 01:16:46 PM »

TOD

<SNIP>

A few phrases from the Marius Constant Twilight Zone theme?  With, of course, lyrics...?

The Manhattan Transfer recorded a song called Twilight Zone/Twilight Tone.  They pretty much did the whole original TV show opening, then segued into their own song.  And like other songs with incorrectly attributed titles such as "Not Getting Married Today" and "I Remember Sky," a lot of people think that their song is just called "Twilight Zone."  The correct title is "Twilight Tone."  They actually sing, "Hearin' (hearing) the Twilight Tone," not "Here in the Twilight Zone."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2017, 01:26:57 PM »

I left messages on both of Susanna Moross' phone numbers.  I hope they are okay.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2017, 01:39:02 PM »

Back from a chicken Caesar salad.  The cloven hoof of negativity is back so I've got to figure out what to do about it - I can probably deflect for a few more days then I'm gonna have to really deal.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2017, 01:39:16 PM »

Had a chicken Caesar salad.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2017, 01:39:30 PM »

Getting our announcement ready.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2017, 01:43:37 PM »

Also have to ready a small Indiegogo for Levi - it's an expensive proposition, this one, and while the authors are putting in money (well, one is so far - we have to get the other one to match it) we're still coming up short in what this is going to cost.  The department can't afford anything to do with the Equity actor we're bringing in (a cost we didn't have with LA Now and Then) and that's a considerable amount of dough, which is actually beginning to irritate me, a much larger cast which requires more sound rentals, and then there's the band, orchestrator, and musical director.  Daunting, but we've got to do it right.  As always, I'll have some fun stuff up and I'm hoping Richard will give us some personal memorabilia for perks.  Larry, too.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2017, 02:43:19 PM »

I hope I can afford something
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Danise

« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2017, 03:06:03 PM »

Hi all, Power is restored so all is right with the world!   I won't kid myself, I was lucky and things could have been a LOT worse.  I am humbled when I see the damage and hear the stories of what happened last night.  I have no cause for complaints and my little sufferings were nothing compared to others.

After I put everything that's left to rights tomorrow I'm going to see if I can volunteer to help those that need it.  I'm not working and it's not going to hurt anything for me to put it off for one more week. 
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2017, 03:06:47 PM »

Thank you all for your prayers, good thoughts and vibes.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2017, 03:36:05 PM »

George

« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2017, 03:36:14 PM »

Hi all, Power is restored so all is right with the world!   I won't kid myself, I was lucky and things could have been a LOT worse.  I am humbled when I see the damage and hear the stories of what happened last night.  I have no cause for complaints and my little sufferings were nothing compared to others.

After I put everything that's left to rights tomorrow I'm going to see if I can volunteer to help those that need it.  I'm not working and it's not going to hurt anything for me to put it off for one more week. 

Great news, Danise!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2017, 03:39:11 PM »

Fantastic!

Jane

« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2017, 04:04:29 PM »

I will be interested in what volunteer work you find near you. 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2017, 04:33:21 PM »

DR Jeanne, have you watched this British series "Endeavour"?

Jane

« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2017, 04:45:27 PM »

My brother likes it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up