Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: GOODBYE 2004/HELLO 2005!  (Read 71843 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:GOODBYE 2004/HELLO 2005!
« Reply #120 on: December 31, 2004, 03:14:04 PM »

PAGE 5 DANCE!!!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D[/move]

« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 03:18:02 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #121 on: December 31, 2004, 03:18:46 PM »

Good Evening Again!

Well, I'm all showered and shaved and squeaky clean, and now I must get downstairs to wrap the ham up, and head on into the theatre.  I will NOT make a stop at Macy's tonight, tempted though I may be.  -However, I'll most likely check in on things over there between shows tomorrow.  ;)

I hope everyone has a Very Happy New Year's Eve!  Or at least a very nice December 31, 2004.

-And DR Tomovoz and Colin, and DR Hisaka - Happy New Year!

-I actually may end up staying for a bit of the party tonight, we shall see... But I'll most definitely make it back in time for the PST festivities!

And, remember:  Don't drink and drive.  And if you do drink, make sure someone else has your car keys beforehand.  Be safe.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #122 on: December 31, 2004, 03:20:58 PM »

...they don't make solo diners feel like outcats...

I'm sure you thrill at being recognized as an "in-cat" ::)

der (yes, I read each and every letter) Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Michael

« Reply #123 on: December 31, 2004, 03:24:50 PM »

Happy New Years Day to all those over the International Date Line!
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #124 on: December 31, 2004, 03:32:33 PM »

-And DR Tomovoz and Colin, and DR Hisaka - Happy New Year!

Thank you Jose - Magnus & Fosca wish you all the best too. They look forward to your return visit!!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #125 on: December 31, 2004, 03:33:37 PM »

Happy New Years Day to all those over the International Date Line!
You hear voices from the other side?  Happy New Year to you too Michael - from Tomorrowland.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: December 31, 2004, 03:48:22 PM »

One of the things I loved about ELIZABETH R and THE SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII was the music played at parties and gatherings. I guess it's Renaissance music rather than medieval, but I found it very soothing. I'm sure that music is available on many CDs, but I wouldn't even know what I was looking for.

DRMattH, may I offer you some suggestions on this period of music and its recordings?  It appears that all of the great New York Pro Musica Antiqua recordings on Decca are not on CD.  I had their wonderful recording of band music from the Renaissance.   I looked at Amazon.com, and found a few you might like:

HENRY VIII & HIS SIX WIVES, Testament B00026ZKRQ, David Munrow, and the Early Music Consort of London.   This may have actually been the source for all music in the BBC series; David Munrow's death in the late 70s killed this great group.

ENGLISH RENAISSANCE MUSIC, Sony 45792.

DANCES OF THE RENAISSANCE, Deutsche Gramopjon 469244.

ENGLISH MUSIC FROM HENRY VIII TO CHARLES II, Hyperion 66895.

SHAKESPEARE'S MUSICK. Musicians of the Globe (Theatre),  Philips 446687.  These guys play for Mark Rylance's Globe production and they are amazing.  I have a couple of their recordings.

THE FITZWILLIAM VIRGINAL BOOK, Signum UK #9.  This is all keyboard music.

I hope this helps.  I'd recommend the Munrow HENRY VIII and the SHAKESPEARE'S MUSICK.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #127 on: December 31, 2004, 03:52:22 PM »

It's those damn greedy pit-musicians:

The NY Post reports:
Broadway's Box Office Up Slightly in 2004
Wednesday, December 29, 2004
NEW YORK — Broadway's box office inched upward in 2004 and attendance also increased slightly, according to figures released by the League of American Theatres and Producers .

Much of that late-fall boost can be attributed to "700 Sundays, "Billy Crystal's stage memoir, which has proved to be the most potent performer among the five one-person shows that arrived since October'
…Crystal's show, with a hefty top ticket price of $101.25, reported more than $600,000 in single-ticket sales the day after its Dec. 5 opening.

..well, they probably have to pay an understudy too!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #128 on: December 31, 2004, 03:57:17 PM »

Deutsche Gramopjon

No doubt reated to the German mustard -  Deutsche Gramodjion.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #129 on: December 31, 2004, 04:06:13 PM »

Tonight we will be going to the annual Soup-Tasting Party at church, where a good time will be had by all.

You party animal, you!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #130 on: December 31, 2004, 04:08:46 PM »

I was perusing the vocal sections section of Playbill.com's Playbillstore and I thought it was funny that these two songbooks were right next to each other...alphabetically and physically (well, electronically on the screen):

Just had to share! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jay

« Reply #131 on: December 31, 2004, 04:10:42 PM »

...The divorces usually centered on an aspect of Shaw's gruff personality, on display to a Washington Post reporter in 1978 when he explained why he never saw his two sons, one by Kern, one by Dowling. "I didn't get along with the mothers," Shaw said, "so why should I get along with the kids?"

Libertarian though I may be, this does sorta kinda make you wish that there was some kind of mandatory competency test before people are allowed to produce offspring.

Jed

« Reply #132 on: December 31, 2004, 04:11:34 PM »

We then watched an Eddie Izzard show that he had performed at the Albery Theatre in London.  Izzard is a very smart, very funny British comedian.

A favorite of mine, as well.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jay

« Reply #133 on: December 31, 2004, 04:13:30 PM »

Of course, our Dalmatian gives this "wind" association an entirely different meaning.

You and Der Brucer must see A Very Long Engagement.  Though the film is a very serious one, there is a very endearing running gag in it involving canine flatulence.

Danise

« Reply #134 on: December 31, 2004, 04:15:44 PM »

Hi all!

Hard to believe it’s the last night of the year.  I don’t know if I can stay awake for the Left coast celebration but I will try to at least stay awake for the ball drop here on the East Coast.

I always thought I was such a square because I always stay home for the New Year as well.    I don’t drink and never have seen the attraction of doing so just because the clock and the calendar ticks over one.  

And I wouldn’t even think about driving at that time of night!    

I admit I shed a few tears on the drive home from the bus stop.  I can’t even really say why, I just did.

Thank you,  Hisaka, for the kind words about my avatar.  I’m glad you like it.

I have the printer/scanner combo and love it as well.  

Good news about your Dad, DR Jose.  Sorry to hear about your Dad, PennyO.  

Welcome home, RLP!

To those Dear Friends who are already celebrating it!

And to everyone, please be safe and happy where ever you are tonight!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #135 on: December 31, 2004, 04:30:50 PM »

That's a pretty cool new (temporary, I assume) avatar, Danise!!  And the Happy New Year image in your post is quite nice, too!  I'm at work and I'm leaving for the day ... month ... year!  My family and I are having dinner at seven at Anthony's Home Port in Olympia.  Yummers!

After that, who knows?  We'll either go to my sister's house and play cards or all go to our respective homes.  Either is fine.  For the last few years, I've just been alone at midnight and I thoroughly have enjoyed that.  I don't drink either and have no need to be in a very loud room surrounded by very noisy (and more than likely drunk) people that I don't know.  And my housemate is away housesitting, so I won't even have to worry about being quiet after he goes to sleep (which is a lot earlier than I do).

So that's my evening.  I know I'll be back before the elevator ascends the Space Needle in Seattle (the NW equivalent of the ball dropping in New York).  Click HERE to see three Space Needle wallpaper images, including one from a previous New Year's Eve...or maybe it was from the 4th of July.  They didn't specify.  But it's pretty cool!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Danise

« Reply #136 on: December 31, 2004, 04:33:39 PM »

A one night only to be sure, DR George!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #137 on: December 31, 2004, 04:38:20 PM »

Off to a couple of parties.  Everyone have a safe and happy New Year.  See you in 2005!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Danise

« Reply #138 on: December 31, 2004, 04:43:06 PM »

Have a good time, JRand!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jay

« Reply #139 on: December 31, 2004, 04:43:46 PM »

I didn't see a film today, Dear Readers.  Withdrawal symptoms are beginning to surface.

I will be at home tonight, watching Die Fleidermaus on the tee-vee.  Will probably go to bed long before midnight, as I'll be getting up early in order to watch the Rose Parade.

Note to other parade watchers:   that's my (adopted) home town you're seeing!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #140 on: December 31, 2004, 04:43:51 PM »

...Maybe I need to watch THE PRISONER again....
Angelo Muscat ROCKS!

(He also played an Oompa-Loompa in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jay

« Reply #141 on: December 31, 2004, 04:49:02 PM »

A question for Dear Reader Dan (the Man):

Is the Mummer's parade still as big a deal in the City of Brotherly Love as it was when I lived there, back in 1978-1980?

I could never understand why that event was/is so little known outside the delphia of Phila.

Perhaps you can post a description of the Mummer's parade, for the benefit of the Dear Readers out there in the dark who have no clew as to what I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 04:50:18 PM by Jay »

Danise

« Reply #142 on: December 31, 2004, 04:49:16 PM »

Oh my, I forgot all about the Rose parade!  We bought our first Color TV  because of it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 04:50:00 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #143 on: December 31, 2004, 04:53:27 PM »

Space Needle memories:  my Dad got transferred to Seattle after a virtual lifetime in Salt Lake, just a few weeks before my 10th birthday.  As you may guess, this was extremely traumatic, especially for my Mother.  Anyway, as a special birthday treat for me (since my SLC party had to be cancelled), they said I could have my birthday dinner at the Space Needle.  Well, lo and behold, who should show up in Seattle the day before my birthday but my celebrated Uncle Charlie (whom I've discussed at length here).  He came in unannounced to finalize some sort of real estate deal--even my parents didn't know he was coming.  He had one of his investors with him, who came to dinner as well.  This investor guy told me he had a son my age and wanted me to come with him to the Space Needle gift shop so that I could help him pick out gifts for his son.  Now, how stupid did he think I was?  :)  But of course I played along, but also played him for every dime he was worth--I got the most expensive Space Needle knicknacks available, including a really cool ceramic Space Needle cigarette lighter (wish I knew what became of that).  Of course after he had bought all the booty, he "surprised" me by telling me it was really for me.  It was one of my first Oscar-worthy moments as I registered the appropriate shock.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #144 on: December 31, 2004, 04:58:10 PM »

I'm also heading out for two parties tonight.  Thankfully, they are both within walking distance and the night will not be freezing.  I won't have to worry about drunk drivers, only drunk walkers.  So...

! ! ! ! !  HAPPY NEW YEAR, Y'ALL  ! ! ! ! !

May your best year ever be considered the pitts compared to 2005!

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Danise

« Reply #145 on: December 31, 2004, 05:03:11 PM »

You have a good time as well, DR Dan.

Just let B & B out and the smell of gunpowder is almost over powering.  Stinky poo!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: December 31, 2004, 05:07:42 PM »

OFF to parties???  THIS is the party.  Other parties are only pretenders to the throne of THIS party.  I am so wanting to take my Powerbook out of the case and PLAY with it, but I shall refrain, oh, yes, I shall refrain.  

I am wearing jeans and a black t-shirt, my usual attire for New Year's early Eve.  Later, I shall put on my lounging pyjamas, my smoking jacket, my spotted dickie and my bunny slippers.  What fun we shall have this evening.  I am completely stocked up on Diet Coke (the bubbly of choice) and have a selection picked out for some early evening viewing.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #147 on: December 31, 2004, 05:10:10 PM »

...Will probably go to bed long before midnight, as I'll be getting up early in order to watch the Rose Parade.

Note to other parade watchers:   that's my (adopted) home town you're seeing!
Not to other parade watchers: Any blue sky you see is FAKE!  It's all done with camera tricks and matte paintings!

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #148 on: December 31, 2004, 05:16:12 PM »

Later, I shall put on...my spotted dickie...
A gift from the DeVilles?  I swear, BK, you really do know everyone!

Jed

« Reply #149 on: December 31, 2004, 05:22:27 PM »

Some really bad years have still benn considered good, but overall, this just wasn't one of the better ones.

So here is to a 2005 that just HAS to be better.  

Gotta say I'm with you on that one, DR Kerry.  I've been awaiting the demise of 2004 since at least July.  :D  Only a few hours more and we can be done with it and start a new, better year!

*To all those who had a good 2004: More of the same (or even better) in 2005!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up