Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: NAMELY 2005  (Read 53675 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:NAMELY 2005
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2005, 02:03:12 PM »

And one for Mahler.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #91 on: January 01, 2005, 02:04:27 PM »

VAN HELSING was a good movie to be brain dead in front of. Since it didn't make much sense, one didn't have to think about all the ways it was silly. I just immersed myself in the fine surround sound and the lusciousness that is Hugh Jackman.

I had to laugh, though. Early in the movie when we saw pictures of the heroine and her gorgeous brother who were also fighting Dracula, I knew the brother was not long for the movie. He was TOO much competition for Hugh in the looks department.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2005, 02:04:38 PM »

I'm back and am the proud owner of an 8x8 Pyrex Pan.  Inside the Pyrex pan is now the cornbread mix, which comes from Trader Joe's.  The Pyrex Pan is now in the oven.  This is the first thing I've ever baked that's not fish or meat.  If this works, I may graduate to cakes and whatnot.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2005, 02:04:46 PM »

It was 70 degrees here today which made working outside a real pleasure.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2005, 02:15:27 PM »

RLP thanks for the cornbread tip.  It has been along time since I have made cornbread.

Bruce when greasing a pan I prefer to use wax paper instead of a paper towel.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2005, 02:24:36 PM »

I used Pam, which seemed ever so much simpler.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2005, 02:24:51 PM »

About four minutes from now we'll know the tale.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2005, 02:46:36 PM »

The Corn Bread could not have turned out more perfectly perfect.  Yummilicious in extremis.

Jennifer

« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2005, 02:47:25 PM »

Um, it's been way more than 4 minutes!

So what exactly is corn bread?

Jennifer

« Reply #99 on: January 01, 2005, 02:48:32 PM »

I guess you wrote that while I was typing. :)

MBarnum

« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2005, 03:01:13 PM »

Happy 2005 everyone!

The party at my friend's house up in West Linn was loads of fun! And unfortunately, Jose, I forgot to take my camera in, so there are no pictures of the hot tub portion of the party (which occured around 1:30 am with 10 gay men, two very cute lesbians, and one young straight guy who, I think, did not know what he was getting himself into, all crammed together in hot, bubbly water! LOL!

It was one crowded tub! But lots of fun (especially since I was wedged in-between a husky farm boy from central Oregon and an Air National Guard pilot!  ;D )

...but I digress...we had good food and I met some very nice people...and now I am going to relax with some fine motion picture entertainment on DVD.

MBarnum

« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2005, 03:03:05 PM »

Oh, my resolutions for 2005 are to get to the gym on a regular basis, get my diabetes under control, and to catch up on my interviews.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2005, 03:05:04 PM »

MBarnum, I am jealous.  I have to go shopping with my sister (she hates to go shopping alone :P).  A hot tub sounds like so much more fun! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #103 on: January 01, 2005, 03:17:04 PM »

...with 10 gay men, two very cute lesbians, and one young straight guy

...And the Marx Brothers? ;D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2005, 03:17:34 PM by Panni »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #104 on: January 01, 2005, 03:23:27 PM »

Can one of you aspect ratio mavens explain the logic of this to me?  I have just been watching That's Entertainment (the first one) on DVD (which, believe it or not, I had never seen before).  I am watching the widescreen version.  Why did they reformat (intermittently, at that, which is all the stranger) a bunch of the older films to look like they're in widescreen?  I assume they did that by masking the top and bottom of the image and blowing it up to fill the screen horizontally.  But why even bother, since they show a bunch of other clips in their OAR (1.37:1, or whatever it is).  It makes no sense to me, but maybe I'm missing something.....
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: January 01, 2005, 03:34:41 PM »

Yes, you are missing something.  Whatever narrator is doing that section clearly says, "If this were today this would look like this."  The changing ratio was done for the original theatrical showings of TE and the new DVD replicates that.  When clips are shown Academy ratio, that's the way they were shown then, too.  

Danise

« Reply #106 on: January 01, 2005, 03:35:22 PM »

Evening all.

I hope everyone had a nice day.  

I’m sorry to say that I have a horrible pounding headache—not from drinking but from all the gun powder in area and the noise.  

You would have thought all the fireworks were over but someone on the street behind us decided to put all of theirs off today.  Not some little bangs but some BOOMS loud enough to rattle the windows.  I’m not joking about that.  It scared the heck out of both dogs and Mom.  I know I jumped a few times as well.

Poor Bear ran around the back yard barking his head off but I didn’t holler at him.  I was trying to do some yard work—I mowed the grass and did some trimming.  Between Bear barking, the booms, the roar of the mower, then the blower and the smell, I guess it’s not very surprising that my head is throbbing.  

I plan on taking it easy tomorrow.  I think I shall try to go see POTO the movie.  

Finished The Da Vinci code yesterday.  I liked it and didn’t think I would.   I also read Angels and Demons which I thought was very good as well.  I picked up on the writers style by the 2nd book so I was able to figure out a lot of clues myself.  That was kinda fun.  

Without giving anything away, I knew where the Rose was buried before the end of the book.  I won’t say I had it figured totally out but I had the right place.

Dinner turned out well.  I can now rest assured that the New Year has started out right and good luck will now surely follow.   :D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JMK

« Reply #107 on: January 01, 2005, 03:38:15 PM »

Yes, you are missing something.  Whatever narrator is doing that section clearly says, "If this were today this would look like this."  The changing ratio was done for the original theatrical showings of TE and the new DVD replicates that.  When clips are shown Academy ratio, that's the way they were shown then, too.  
Nope, I caught that, but that was just on that one clip (A Pretty Girl is Like a Melody).  They've gone on to reformat everything from some (not all) of the Judy/Mickey stuff to Show Boat and various others.  I guess my question is, why didn't they just do everything after that announcement?  Wouldn't that have been more consistent?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: January 01, 2005, 03:39:48 PM »

I don't think there's much consistency in the film at all.  It all seemed very arbitrary to me, even at the time.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: January 01, 2005, 04:23:45 PM »

Now wait just a darned minute - no posts in almost an hour.  I don't believe that is how we should welcome a brand spanking New Year.  Some of us have been welcoming in the brand spanking New Year quite well, but others have been sitting on their butt cheeks like so much fish and it is time to join the partay.

MBarnum

« Reply #110 on: January 01, 2005, 04:45:50 PM »

Just read that actor William Boyett died this last Wednesday...he was a regular on my all time favorite TV series, ADAM-12.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #111 on: January 01, 2005, 04:46:54 PM »

Sandra whose cats are those?

That party animal from last night is my Sasha. Isn't she pretty?

Right now I am eating a bag of chips and a Cherry Coke. And my dad just walked in with a bunch of pizzas. What more do I need?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #112 on: January 01, 2005, 04:57:21 PM »

Now wait just a darned minute - no posts in almost an hour.  I don't believe that is how we should welcome a brand spanking New Year.  Some of us have been welcoming in the brand spanking New Year quite well, but others have been sitting on their butt cheeks like so much fish and it is time to join the partay.

I tried sititng on my hands and typing with my butt cheeks,
but that didn't work either
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #113 on: January 01, 2005, 05:00:21 PM »

And why hasn't BK reached 8,000 posts yet????
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: January 01, 2005, 05:04:11 PM »

Well, if we had some discussion going on I would reach 8000 posts easily.  I don't wish to reach 8000 postings by talking to myself.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #115 on: January 01, 2005, 05:19:35 PM »

I'm very sleepy. What I would like to do is to go to bed and veg out for a few hours. But I won't.
...I hope this will be a springboard for lots of lively discussion and will help bk reach 8000.

Danise - Good vibes for making your headache disappear!

JMK

« Reply #116 on: January 01, 2005, 05:24:42 PM »

Here's food for thought (literally), and, maybe, discussion:

I just noticed our bottle of ketchup says "From Concentrate."  Now I'm no cook, but what in heaven's name is ketchup concentrate?

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #117 on: January 01, 2005, 05:26:01 PM »

I guess I'd better say something before BK gets back. So here goes:

My pizza has olives on it. My potato chips are Lay's sour cream and onion. I am almost done with this Cherry Coke and will very soon be getting up to get a new one.

I fell asleep a few hours ago and woke up just in time to watch M*A*S*H. There was a cat sleeping on me when I woke up. He watched M*A*S*H for a while after he woke up. Then he went back to sleep.

As you can tell, I am having a very exciting day.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

MBarnum

« Reply #118 on: January 01, 2005, 05:35:11 PM »

We could discuss William Boyett's career...except that I suspect I am the only ADAM-12 fan on HHW.

BK, did you ever work with William Boyett? If not, then why not? If you did, did you like him; if you didn't do you think you would have liked him had you worked with him.

There...those questions should easily get you to 8,000.

MBarnum

« Reply #119 on: January 01, 2005, 05:36:55 PM »

I just ran over to BIG LOTS and picked up a couple of $1 dvd double features. The first DVD has RANSOM MONEY starring Broderick Crawford and DESERT COMMANDOS starring Ken Clark. The second DVD has THE AMAZING ADVENTURE starring Cary Grant and MY LOVE FOR YOURS starring Fred MacMurray.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up